Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
martyk54

Default New FG II - Possible hail damage

Just thought I'd see if anyone has had a similar experience in the past...

I'm waiting on an FG II, of which the delivery has just been postponed again (ordered in mid-Nov 2011). My dealer is in Melbourne, which copped a mass of hail on Christmas day, causing damage to every car in it's midst. My dealer has not received the car as yet and are asking questions of the factory. The time it's taking suggests something is wrong. Originally I was told my car was not damaged in the storm but now my dealer says they're not so sure and are trying to get information on it... pending.

So, obviously I'm considering Ford's ability to 'repair' damaged cars that haven't yet left the factory (damaged on a factory lot), before selling them as new. Does anyone know if this is acceptable?? Surely not. I've already told my dealer I'll refuse to accept a repaired car. Anyone experienced similar in the past or know what consumer rights are relevant here?

Cheers.

martyk54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: New FG II - Possible hail damage

How do you know they will try and repair it and try and sell it to you?

In WA after the big hailstorm of 2010 all the hail damaged new Fords were farmed out to Pickles and auctioned off.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I doubt that ford would repair them,......they would simply write them off for insurance and the insurance company sell them off to an auction house

it would, however postpone the delivery schedule as the damaged vehicles have to be replaced by new ones

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
martyk54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy
I doubt that ford would repair them,......they would simply write them off for insurance and the insurance company sell them off to an auction house

it would, however postpone the delivery schedule as the damaged vehicles have to be replaced by new ones
Road_Warrior - Point is, how would I not know? The dealer told me the car would arrive weeks ago, yet it hasn't. All they can tell me is it's likely due to the storm... nothing more. Only an idiot wouldn't be concerned.

Is a little transparency too much to ask? If the car is damaged I'd be happy to wait for a new one, I don't care... The storm was 3 weeks ago though, my dealer is pestering Ford for answers but still nothing. I'm not a fussy customer in a general sense, but information on a purchase of something as significant as a car should be a given. At least if customer service is valued anyway.
Old 16-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
Ghiaman
Kinetic FG X XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyk54
Just thought I'd see if anyone has had a similar experience in the past...

I'm waiting on an FG II, of which the delivery has just been postponed again (ordered in mid-Nov 2011). My dealer is in Melbourne, which copped a mass of hail on Christmas day, causing damage to every car in it's midst. My dealer has not received the car as yet and are asking questions of the factory. The time it's taking suggests something is wrong. Originally I was told my car was not damaged in the storm but now my dealer says they're not so sure and are trying to get information on it... pending.

So, obviously I'm considering Ford's ability to 'repair' damaged cars that haven't yet left the factory (damaged on a factory lot), before selling them as new. Does anyone know if this is acceptable?? Surely not. I've already told my dealer I'll refuse to accept a repaired car. Anyone experienced similar in the past or know what consumer rights are relevant here?

Cheers.
G'day Mate,
I'm the Asset/Fleet Manager for a not for profit organisation, I ordered a FG 2 XR6 EcoLPi in early december and was told at the time that it would be delivered end of december, forward to 2nd week of January and it arrived. However when i went to collect it, i was told the reason it had been delayed was it had been caught in the hail storm and the boot had been damaged. the boot had been repaired using PDR and we received a further $1700 off the already heavily discounted price. Had a good look before i signed anything and couldnt see any problems so was happy to accept it. At the end of the day we will only have it for 2 years / 40,000k's, if it was for me personally like you I probably wouldnt have accepted it.
Hope that Helps.
Ghiaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
martyk54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiaman
G'day Mate,
I'm the Asset/Fleet Manager for a not for profit organisation, I ordered a FG 2 XR6 EcoLPi in early december and was told at the time that it would be delivered end of december, forward to 2nd week of January and it arrived. However when i went to collect it, i was told the reason it had been delayed was it had been caught in the hail storm and the boot had been damaged. the boot had been repaired using PDR and we received a further $1700 off the already heavily discounted price. Had a good look before i signed anything and couldnt see any problems so was happy to accept it. At the end of the day we will only have it for 2 years / 40,000k's, if it was for me personally like you I probably wouldnt have accepted it.
Hope that Helps.
Thanks for the info mate, much appreciated.

The text I've made bold above... that's the kind of thing that really annoys me. If I turned up to collect the car and was confronted with story of repair, I'd seriously lose my *****. That's complete rubbish customer service.
Old 16-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I don't believe it's legal to sell a car that has been hail damaged without making the buyer 100% aware of it.
Old 16-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #8
Ghiaman
Kinetic FG X XR8

Quote:

The text I've made bold above... that's the kind of thing that really annoys me. If I turned up to collect the car and was confronted with story of repair, I'd seriously lose my *****. That's complete rubbish customer service.
I guess they made a judgement call at the dealer (they know me pretty well!) and decided to repair it knowing that i would be ok with it. My main concern with something like that is resale value, i checked the areas of damage and decided to accept it. The fleet sales guy did say that communication from Ford had been pretty poor, they only got the full details when they questioned why the boot was damaged apparently!! That might explain why your dealer is having trouble getting answers. Good luck with it anyway, the driver of the XR6 i collected is very happy with it so far.
Old 16-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

Call the dealership and let them know that you know about the hail damaged car coming out of Broadmeadows,
see what they have to say and whether they 'fess up. If you're not sure at delivery, take a beater along to check it out,
someone like that will be valuable if there's a problem, re discount size or whether to not accept the vehicle.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
Ghiaman
Kinetic FG X XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
I don't believe it's legal to sell a car that has been hail damaged without making the buyer 100% aware of it.
Yeah the Sales guy told me that and said that they legally had to tell the customer, hence why it was listed on the invoice.
Old 16-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
martyk54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
Surely that's the case..

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 16-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #12
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Depending on the damage, they could be repaired. The dealers don't need make note that they are repaired, but if the owner asks if they have then the dealer is legally bound to say so.

Dealers repair cars all the time, vandal attacks, transit damage, lot damage etc.

Even factories do.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #13
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I believe hail damage is a different case though, Nikked.
Old 16-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I've just heard that there were over 1500 cars caught in the hail storm, and they won't be sold as new vehicles. They will be repaired and sold off as a hail damage repair vehicle. They will build replacements for them, but expect delays. Not all cars were damaged though, and ones with only very minor dints that have PDR might be offered to a buyer with a discount.

You wouldn't pick it had been repaired. Dealer will legally have to tell you, Broadmeadows will enforce that for sure.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I've just heard that there were over 1500 cars caught in the hail storm, and they won't be sold as new vehicles. They will be repaired and sold off as a hail damage repair vehicle. They will build replacements for them, but expect delays. Not all cars were damaged though, and ones with only very minor dints that have PDR might be offered to a buyer with a discount.

You wouldn't pick it had been repaired. Dealer will legally have to tell you, Broadmeadows will enforce that for sure.
Such a shame so many cars got court up in this. Ford Aust always seems to have one hand tied up. When they sell them repaired are they still considered as new car sales? I’m glad they are not trying to on sell them new cars as that would **** me off too
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #16
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

As long as its repaired to the point where you cant notice then whats the harm...id be up for a bargain FG!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #17
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
As long as its repaired to the point where you cant notice then whats the harm...id be up for a bargain FG!
If it gets new paint, it will better then fords efforts!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Such a shame so many cars got court up in this. Ford Aust always seems to have one hand tied up. When they sell them repaired are they still considered as new car sales? I’m glad they are not trying to on sell them new cars as that would **** me off too
I don't know. If they are registered for the first time wouldn't that still make it a new vehicle?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #19
martyk54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I don't know. If they are registered for the first time wouldn't that still make it a new vehicle?
I was wondering the same. Can anyone elaborate on a vehicle repair being registered and accessible via the 'VIN' number? Again, I'm assuming because a car has yet to be registered, this information will not be recorded. Is this correct?

I sure as hell won't be accepting any repaired car as new without a HUGE discount.
Old 17-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #20
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As far as I was aware Fords stock never got damaged as they're cars are under shade cloth, whereas Toll's yard next door copped the lot. The tricky part is, Ford no longer own the cars next door. Toll is responsible for them until they get to the dealer.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #21
peterhellmann
Starter Motor

What a spew!
peterhellmann is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #22
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mmmm pickles auctions here i come depending on price what do yas reckon a turbo 6 ute would go for???
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #23
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
As far as I was aware Fords stock never got damaged as they're cars are under shade cloth, whereas Toll's yard next door copped the lot. The tricky part is, Ford no longer own the cars next door. Toll is responsible for them until they get to the dealer.
Ford hardly have any stock if any under shade cloth anymore..

All the stock sitting on the grass got damaged and has been offered to dealers at cheaper prices as is (not fixed). Dealers can then chose to sell the cars as hail damaged at cheaper prices giving people the option of repairer them with PDR.

The cars that Toll had are under Tolls insurance, what happens there is anyones guess but I would say they are the ones that are questionable at this stage.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #24
robertjp

having been caught in this hailstorm and seeing what it did to laserlight there is no way a shade cloth would have stopped those bricks.
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #25
martyk54

I was told today that my car HAS hail damage, in 3 spots apparently (XR6T Ute - 2 spots on bonnet, 1 on roof), which I find a little hard to believe... Until I see it though I obviously can't comment.

First they attempted to offer me the car WITH the damage and a discount, I didn't even entertain that at all. I mean WTF?? I said I'll only accept a car that looks mint, so they're going to repair it and see how it turns out. I'll still expect a large discount off of it or I'll order a new one, which they'll happily do for me. They couldn't tell me what the discount would be. I do know that Ford has given this dealer the car at a discounted price, would anyone know what kind of discount this would be?? What would you fellas expect to get discount wise in accepting the vehicle?

Result - no car for a long time either way.
Old 17-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #26
fordfreak1

my mate works for a huge panel shop with a few big car companies under their belt.

and i tell you what, they get cars into them that get damaged in transport or in this case hail that dont even have rego yet, and have 1-10 kays on them. they get a quick fix and back to the dealership to get sold. no one would know.
Old 17-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #27
nickdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Ford hardly have any stock if any under shade cloth anymore..

All the stock sitting on the grass got damaged and has been offered to dealers at cheaper prices as is (not fixed). Dealers can then chose to sell the cars as hail damaged at cheaper prices giving people the option of repairer them with PDR.

The cars that Toll had are under Tolls insurance, what happens there is anyones guess but I would say they are the ones that are questionable at this stage.
So who will repair the cars? Does Ford choose a panel beater or do the dealers end up picking their own?
nickdl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #28
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32

Fords holding yard in Broadmedows got hit about 1500 cars damaged. That is why the long wait on a replacement.
xisled is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #29
martyk54

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
Fords holding yard in Broadmedows got hit about 1500 cars damaged. That is why the long wait on a replacement.
My dealer says that some people have already taken delivery of damaged vehicles with a discount, some are refusing to take delivery if repaired - even with a discount. Their prerogative. As you say though, there will still be a long wait for replacements I'd imagine.

By the sounds of it, I was lucky mine was still on the Ford lot when damaged. I wouldn't have the same flexibility if it'd been damaged on the dealer lot. Would anyone be surprised if dealers repaired unwanted cars (discounted by the factory) then sold them as new cars anyway? I wouldn't.
Old 18-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #30
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the vehicle has been repaired to as good as rolling off the factory floor, and combined with a furthur discount then I see this as a good outcome. Depreciation will hit as soon as you handover your coin so it does help with every dollar you can furthur save. On top of that, with the arrogance of people these days it won't be long before your pride and joy displays dents that were not optional extras from the dealership you purchased the vehicle from.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post