Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Fool in a Phoon

This guy, who reportedly has only had his license 4 months wrote off a beautiful Typhoon.

A YOUNG driver has been charged with drink-driving after crashing his high-powered car into a Rockingham shopping centre.
Police said the Bertram man, 20, had a blood-alcohol level above 0.08 per cent.

The man only had his driver's licence for four months and was driving a high-powered $40,000 six-cylinder Ford Typhoon turbo which was written off, police spokeswoman Susan Usher said.

It is believed he was driving at high speed, lost control of his vehicle which has become airborne and crashed into three shops at the corner of Ennis Avenue and Dixon Road, Rockingham at 11.15pm.

The shops were extensively damaged.

He also faces a hefty damage bill if convicted of the drink-driving offence, as his insurance won't cover the repairs.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: Fool in a Phoon

Those wondering why we have restrictions in some states. I hope he gets a right royal flogging from the long arm of the law.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Moron.

If the circumstances listed above are indeed factual, the driver of that F6 deserves every last thing the law throws at him. He should be thanking his lucky stars he didn't hit and kill innocent bystanders.

He deserves to be behind bars.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a flogger. 10 foot tall and bullet proof. Just because you can afford the car, doesn't mean you know how to drive the car.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one word Wa****
Old 02-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Those wondering why we have restrictions in some states. I hope he gets a right royal flogging from the long arm of the law.
Exactly, we just had a kid here again in WA in a WRX mount the kerb on a bend and kill a mother out walking her baby in a pram. Had his license 8 days, just crazy.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
stevz
Banned

Quote:
I hope he gets a right royal flogging from the long arm of the law.
LOL, that's the least of his worries. He'll be paying off the damage bill for the rest of his life.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
IEAT8S
Turbo Power

So are there no power restrictions for P platers in WA? Driving cars like Typhoons and WRX's. In vic your on a tight leash!
Old 02-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in the wrong hands.. bullets on wheels......
Old 02-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

Kids.....what else can I say...on the evidence provided

G6ET 2010 Seduce. Tax return = GTX upgrade DONE
Old 02-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #11
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEAT8S
So are there no power restrictions for P platers in WA? Driving cars like Typhoons and WRX's. In vic your on a tight leash!
No, there aren't, although after the aforementioned WRX incident the government are "looking into it".

It's probably for another thread, but I don't believe power restrictions for P-platers is the way to go. Idiots will be idiots no matter what car they drive. Compulsory advanced driver training when they're still on their L plates would be my answer - don't let them have their Ps until they have done - and passed satisfactorily - an advanced driver training course that teaches them how to control the car, not just how to operate it.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
Old 02-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #12
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I'm surprised i'm the first to say

It'll buff out!!!

Also nice colour
Old 02-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trouble is these days is that it appears a lot of teenagers buy hi powered expensive near new cars.... the current generation seem to think they MUST have the latest and greatest and no way in the world would they be caught dead in a 15yr old car.

Back in my day (groans heard for miles) we all had crappy old 4 cyclinder cars to drive around in and we didnt care! Some of us bought 6s and only the few had V8s. We were happy to have our freedom no matter how rubbish the car was.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 02-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #14
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Built Ford tough, too bad it isn't Idiot tough.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #15
Motorbreath310

I think it boils down to the individual rather than the demographic the driver represents. People looking for cheap thrills behind the wheel of a car will always be idiots no matter what they're in. Most of the serious crashes involving young drivers that I've seen are in clapped out crapheaps with too many people on board.

Not saying I'm a model citizen either when it comes too road behaviour but I pick my moments. This guy obviously picked a bad one.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #16
Chris_Rogers01

what a waste of a beautiful car...
Old 02-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #17
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A decent amount of butthurt on the way paying all that damage off lol. I think the fact he'd been drinking is probably more relevant than choice of car though
Old 02-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #18
FG_Frodza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I'm surprised i'm the first to say

It'll buff out!!!

Also nice colour
Haha first thing I thought!

Nah saw this on the news, what a ******, heard on the news insurance won't pay out as he was drink driving, thats good, hope he regrets this every day of his life, the car deserves better and there could have easily been people injured or killed, if not himself.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4150126
Old 02-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #19
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Exactly, we just had a kid here again in WA in a WRX mount the kerb on a bend and kill a mother out walking her baby in a pram. Had his license 8 days, just crazy.

i would argue the result could well have been the same in a much less powerful car!

have a look at this incident
http://adelaideadvertiser.newspaperd...er/viewer.aspx

nissan tiida not exactly a powerhouse, esp with 6 people on board.

any car is capable of doing these sort of things. its the person behind the wheel, not the vehicle.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:27 PM   #20
Chris_Rogers01

just imagine how much the shop owners will want compensation for damages + all the court fines and special services like tow truck etc. if that's affected by a drink driving charge, and $40,000 down the drain.....my guess he will look at probably double a loss of that amount with damages. and could possible get sued?
Old 02-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #21
brydie76
Moff-fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
A decent amount of butthurt on the way paying all that damage off lol. I think the fact he'd been drinking is probably more relevant than choice of car though
This. You can drive at a dangerous speed and lose control in almost any car. If anything, the kid should be thanking his lucky stars that he was in such a well-built and sturdy car as opposed to the old crapboxes* most kids drive in.

I do think the power restrictions are fair, but stupidly done. In NSW you need special dispensation from the RTA (at the discretion of the person at that desk on the day) to drive a 77 TSi VW Polo, but can jump in a twin-turbo Audi Q7 diesel no worries. Stick a blanket power to weight ratio over both the petrol and diesel categories ala what currently happens with P plater bike restrictions. Basically restrict everybody to a maximum of a decent 4 cylinder or an average 6 cylinder at most, you may not reduce the hooning but you may reduce the incidence of kids driving super powerful cars that get through on loopholes.

* my previous car before my Fezza was a 1994 Suzuki Swift with no safety features whatsoever, so I am allowed to bag old crapboxes- I used to be part of the club haha!

Now rocking a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport!
Old 02-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #22
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Not *** likely, the "justice system" in WA is akin to being slapped with a wet tissue. Even that muppet who lost it in his Monaro a few years back and killed a baby in a pram was out of the slammer in something like 22 months after parole

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205
No, there aren't, although after the aforementioned WRX incident the government are "looking into it".
What a load of crap that is, they've been "looking into it" for the past 4 years, instead they (the Office of Road Safety that is) came out with such nuggets of wisdom like banning P platers from driving after midnight and not allowed to carry mates in the car

This whole government in this state is retarded

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 02-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #23
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this could run past $100,000 easily! What an idiot! Pretty much thrown a part of his life away.. He's just damn lucky he still has a life. and didnt kill anyone else.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #24
05_ENFORCER

One silly mistake and your life is over before it starts.

We are NOT bullet proof guys

This fella will be in debt for a long long time.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #25
Slideways

I went past this place today.. the damage has covered over 3 shops itself. By the looks of it he must of been going easily close to 200kmph, hit the uphill bump in the middle of the traffic light intersection, managed to get airborne then lost control upon landing crossing the dual road way into the opposing side of the road impacting into the shops (one including a smoko shop). Had to drive to Hungry Jacks today because of this :/ not happy!
Old 02-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #26
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i would argue the result could well have been the same in a much less powerful car!

have a look at this incident
http://adelaideadvertiser.newspaperd...er/viewer.aspx

nissan tiida not exactly a powerhouse, esp with 6 people on board.

any car is capable of doing these sort of things. its the person behind the wheel, not the vehicle.
Yeah thats a valid point to i guess.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #27
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
one word Wa****
Yeah fair call. With all the work over here atm most 20yr olds can afford one!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 02-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #28
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, how the hell do you unskin a door like that?

Dibs on the brembos
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Old 02-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #29
seduced_xr
BF XR6

id like to make the point here... that we cant blame the cars... its the people in them.

i had a hire car about 4 months ago when my XR6 was being repaired (on p plates)

it was a brand new toyota corolla, the first night i had it i topped it out at about 200..

the point im trying to make is a 4 cylinder crap box is good for high speeds. it annoyed the **** out of me when i picked up the paper this morning to find the front page was about P platers allowed high powered cars., its not the p platers that shouldnt be allowed high powered cars. its high powered cars that shouldnt be given to morons.
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
Old 02-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #30
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seduced_xr
id like to make the point here... that we cant blame the cars... its the people in them.

i had a hire car about 4 months ago when my XR6 was being repaired (on p plates)

it was a brand new toyota corolla, the first night i had it i topped it out at about 200..

the point im trying to make is a 4 cylinder crap box is good for high speeds. it annoyed the **** out of me when i picked up the paper this morning to find the front page was about P platers allowed high powered cars., its not the p platers that shouldnt be allowed high powered cars. its high powered cars that shouldnt be given to morons.
Ok, so how do you regulate the licensing system to weed out the morons?

A counter point I would like to make is that if you are a moron and you are driving a powerful car, you are going to be more inclined to "abuse" that power as you know what is under your right foot and you know it's awesome and fun, much more so than doing the same thing in say a Hyundai Excel.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Closed Thread