Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 24-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default WS Tyre Mileage

So what did you get or have got so far out of your set?

We are due for a new set now. Only the insides are chewed out, the rest of the tyre have a few k left in them but they need changing.

I am reasonably happy with 36,000kms as they are more performance orientated and we like driving in the hills.

Chasing up prices for new 195/45/16 has been interesting.
Prices from $128 - $350

So far the best Conti exact replacement has been Jax for $250.
What did you all get for replacements?

GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: WS Tyre Mileage

Also just got a price for Toyo R31 for $250. I think some guys had toyo's on there fez, have they been good?
Old 24-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
Headovrheelz
Starter Motor

I was thinking about trying the Kumho Ku31 next i think they are about $180 a tyre. Was also thinking of ditching the stock wheels so kinda depends on finances when the time comes
Headovrheelz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Yokohama A Drive R1s, 215/40/R17s, mates rates $250, had them for bout 6 months, really good in all conditions. These replaced Dunlops 215/35s after 35K. From experience: generally, the more you pay for tyres the better they are: don't cheap out - if you do you effectively turn the excellent handling Fiesta into a crap mid 90s Hyundai...

Tyres make a huge difference on the Fez: when my rusted parts were getting replaced I had a loan Econetic with those low rolling resistance tyres - it was like driving a different car: no grip, no confidence, reduced steering feel.

Get the best you can afford. Pirelli or Yokohama.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Take it from someone that fits tyres. Dearer doesn't mean better. It's a real common complaint

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Maybe so, but I'd take Yokohama/Pirelli tyres anyday over Silverstone/kmart-bob Jane - jax quickfit homebrand tyres. Just me.

I think drivers who value driving and look after their cars fit the best parts possible, tyres included.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

It'll work out better if you have other cars you want decent tyres on, but go to www.tirerack.com and look at their range, it only is worth it on high end quality tyres as they're much cheaper in the USA than here. I got quoted $1200 delivered for 8 continental tyres, 4 in ExtremeDW and 4 in their grand tourer tyre.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Take it from someone that fits tyres. Dearer doesn't mean better. It's a real common complaint
So what would you recommend?
Old 24-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
Hulsty

How convenient! This topic has unfortunately come to my attention, the mrs had a flat today, pumped it up, drove home. I changed it out for the spare thinking I will get it repaired, car has only 27,000km on it, tyre is stuffed!! Has bady worn the inside, checked the other side and its not far behind. Up for two new tyres now.

Is it a wheel alignment problem? or just how fiestas behave. Tyres are standard 195/50R15's I'm pretty annoyed they have worn out this fast and the tread depth/wear was not noted at 15000km. The rears are fine.

My first car was a nissan pulsar SSS with 175s on 14'' rims, I got a shed loud of kms out of them.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

I got the Toyo Proxe T1R in a 205/45/16 for my WQ. Superb tyres, wet or dry.
Cost me $950 this time. The 195 actually costs more.
Old 24-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headovrheelz
I was thinking about trying the Kumho Ku31 next i think they are about $180 a tyre. Was also thinking of ditching the stock wheels so kinda depends on finances when the time comes
Would agree on the KU31. think I might replace my buckled wheels tyre with one if I have popped it as well...awaits a call from the tyre place. Excellent tyre for the money from my experience on my other car.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #12
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsty
How convenient! This topic has unfortunately come to my attention, the mrs had a flat today, pumped it up, drove home. I changed it out for the spare thinking I will get it repaired, car has only 27,000km on it, tyre is stuffed!! Has bady worn the inside, checked the other side and its not far behind. Up for two new tyres now.

Is it a wheel alignment problem? or just how fiestas behave. Tyres are standard 195/50R15's I'm pretty annoyed they have worn out this fast and the tread depth/wear was not noted at 15000km. The rears are fine.

My first car was a nissan pulsar SSS with 175s on 14'' rims, I got a shed loud of kms out of them.
we rotated ours every 5,000kms so they all had the same amount of wear on the inner tyre. rest of the tyre still had a bit left. im guessing it might be just how they are, but maybe everyone else can let us know how their tyres were.
Old 25-11-2011, 12:22 AM   #13
Ms_Jam

GoesLkeAZetec,

Do you mind giving us the quotes for the other 195/45/16 tyres you asked about?

And where are you? Melb, Sydney, Brisbane?

Last time I looked the RRP for the Continentals was about $300. You have done much better than that.

I have been saving for the tyre replacement for some time. (My tyres started wearing very fast around 15,000, until I realised I needed an alighnment).

I am now at 33,000 on the Contis. Probably could get another couple of thousand k., but to be on the safe side, I am thinking of changing now.

I was very impressed with Bearman's account of his Pirelli Zero Neros on the tyre forum here.
Ms_Jam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 12:25 AM   #14
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Maybe so, but I'd take Yokohama/Pirelli tyres anyday over Silverstone/kmart-bob Jane - jax quickfit homebrand tyres. Just me.

I think drivers who value driving and look after their cars fit the best parts possible, tyres included.

Lost track but Bob Jane home brand tyres were Bridgestone, Dunlop or Kumho made tyres. Just re-branded.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 25-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #15
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
So what would you recommend?

Honestly mate, most tyres have good points and bad points. Having a few cars, they all have different tyres. Hankook (paid $130 ea), Dunlop (paid $120 ea), Federals (paid $60 ea), Contis (OE for my workvan), Bridgestone (on car when I bought it) and even Sonars ($90 ea).

So recommendation. All these tyres have served me well. Done what I have asked of them. The only exception has been the Bridgestones. They gave me a fright, so they went in the scrap pile and got replaced with Nankangs.

Last edited by svo supporter; 25-11-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 25-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #16
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Jam
GoesLkeAZetec,

Do you mind giving us the quotes for the other 195/45/16 tyres you asked about?

And where are you? Melb, Sydney, Brisbane?

Last time I looked the RRP for the Continentals was about $300. You have done much better than that.
I dont have all of them in front of me now, but Falkens, Bridgestones etc were all around $200-250.

One called a Duron or something was $128 fitted and balanced.

The conti's were from Jax in Melb for $250ish. Guys there seemed very professional and knew what they were talking about, compared to some I rang.

Apparently the conti model that came out on the WS fez is discontinued or something so im guessing the dealer might be wanting to get rid of them.

I will probably end up with the Toyo's because the dealer is close and I already have a $300 voucher for Bobjane.

Otherwise I'd get the Jax conti's from Melb.
Old 25-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #17
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Honestly mate, most tyres have good points and bad points. Having a few cars, they all have different tyres. Hankook (paid $130 ea), Dunlop (paid $120 ea), Federals (paid $60 ea), Contis (OE for my workvan), Bridgestone (on car when I bought it) and even Sonars ($90 ea).

So recommendation. All these tyres have served me well. Done what I have asked of them. The only exception has been the Bridgestones. They gave me a fright, so they went in the scrap pile and got replaced with Nankangs.
Cheers. I have different tyres on my cars as well and agree they all have good and bad points, just want to get something good to replace the originals.
Old 26-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #18
paulo7

Wow,
well with some tyre rotations at every 5-10k I've managed to get 48000 out of my conti's and will get a couple of thousand more!
And I can sink the boot and whiz around a corner or two from time to time so some of you must be racing through the burbs(!!! haha) to wear your tyres out at 35000k
paulo7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #19
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo7
Wow,
well with some tyre rotations at every 5-10k I've managed to get 48000 out of my conti's and will get a couple of thousand more!
And I can sink the boot and whiz around a corner or two from time to time so some of you must be racing through the burbs(!!! haha) to wear your tyres out at 35000k
Mate thats awesome mileage. We live in a hilly area with lots of twisty roads, thus helping tyre wear i'd suspect. But in saying that the tyre dealer said he'd only ever seen about 40k out of a set of conti's.
Old 26-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #20
Hulsty

New tyres fitted this morning and a alignment, toe was 10mm out.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #21
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what model have you got hulsty and were the tyres worn on the inside of tyres or evenly worn?
Old 26-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #22
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
what model have you got hulsty and were the tyres worn on the inside of tyres or evenly worn?
Sounds like a bad camber :/

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #23
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They will wear on the inside of the back everytime, it's just the aggressive setup of the car. I've been getting about 40,000 from each set but that's been taking them beyond roadworthy. Almost due for the 4th set now, still have a bent rim or two so that doesn't help
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2011, 12:26 AM   #24
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

be cool to have a big update from you again greenfoam, servicing, tyres etc
Old 30-11-2011, 07:49 AM   #25
brydie76
Moff-fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
They will wear on the inside of the back everytime, it's just the aggressive setup of the car. I've been getting about 40,000 from each set but that's been taking them beyond roadworthy. Almost due for the 4th set now, still have a bent rim or two so that doesn't help
Know it's probably already been addressed elsewhere, but can't find it for the life of me. How do so many Fiesta rims seem to be getting bent? Is it just a lot of bad luck on the forums (hitting bad potholes), or should I start putting the cash aside to replace my WS Zetec OEM rims soon? (ie bad design and they all seem to go eventually)
Sorry to hijack the thread too BTW, this just concerns me a fair bit- new set of rims sounds pretty expensive and I don't really want to be caught out!

Now rocking a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport!
brydie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #26
Spinner77

Are the bent rims a particular feature of the 16 or 17 inch wheels?

Do the tyres make a difference? Contis vs Hankooks for example?

Any patterns apparent?
Spinner77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #27
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

seems the rims might be a bit soft.
Old 30-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #28
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Rim design. No support on the inside of the rim and having a low profile tyre, the tyre doesn't offer much support, so when you hit a pothole, bingo, one bent rim.

IMA. bent rims don't cause tyre wear issues

Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #29
Moorie

Is anyone running a 'taller' tyre on the factory rim? It looks as though fitting 205/55R16 would correct the 5% speedo error.
Moorie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #30
paulo7

My experience with bent rims is:
3 months ago I took it to the local tyre place to get balanced and the guy rang me to say all four were bent and did he want me to send them off to get fixed?
In the end I elected to let them balance them as best as they could due to the fact that I would have to replace the tyres soon anyway.
Didn't do a bad job with only a slight "woble" at some speeds.
BUT, what he said was that in his experience most of the latest design rims have a tendency to get bent (there's a joke in there somewhere...) is exactly like SVO says, no support in the middle of the rim and thin wall section.
So I asked him if I could get better aftermarket rims and he basically wished me luck and advised not to order anything from China coz they're worse.
And then showed me a completely broken rim that had split in two that someone imported from there.
Then, shock horror..., he said in most cases the main manufacturer's rims are generally stronger.
So go figure!!!
in Vic there are two companies that will straighten/repair them and that's Ace Wheels in Mordialloc and Ajax Wheels in Moorabin.
Its a pity then that steel rims with plastic covers aren't popular coz my partner's 2001 Mazda 121 is so smooth...bugger!
paulo7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post