Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-11-2011, 12:58 AM   #1
Brodes
Brodes

Default Advice about Hiluxs

G'day folks,

I've been needing a cheap runabout ute for a little while now and I've kinda half decided on getting an old 1995-2000 model 2nd hand Hilux 4 banger, 2 wheel drive, single cab & it has to be auto as I can't drive manual with my bung arm/leg.

From what I remember where I used to work these were pretty reliable, but I thought I'd ask anyone on here if they knew more about 'em and could pass on some advice for when I do go an look around to buy. Any common problems they have? Any typical major rust spots? What price these are normally worth? Or even any similar but better alternatives?

Any advice would be great thanks.

Old 23-11-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Default Re: Advice about Hiluxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodes
G'day folks,

I've been needing a cheap runabout ute for a little while now and I've kinda half decided on getting an old 1995-2000 model 2nd hand Hilux 4 banger, 2 wheel drive, single cab & it has to be auto as I can't drive manual with my bung arm/leg.

From what I remember where I used to work these were pretty reliable, but I thought I'd ask anyone on here if they knew more about 'em and could pass on some advice for when I do go an look around to buy. Any common problems they have? Any typical major rust spots? What price these are normally worth? Or even any similar but better alternatives?

Any advice would be great thanks.
I've only come across the 5 speeders... but they are built DAMN tough... Cannot comment on the Toyo autos :(

I've seen a little cancer apear in the bottom of the doors, but not from the inside out like you would expect... If you can't see it chances are the water hasn't got past the window rubber and been left to fester.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 01:19 AM   #3
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Petrol or diesel, auto or manual...the advice is pretty simple when it comes to Hiluxes...
It's simple:

1: Buy the best one you can afford. There's so many around that you're sure to come across one fitted with most of what you already want.
2: Don't buy an ex-mine vehicle.
3: Be prepared to have it for a long time, because like they say in the old battery adverts..."They keep going, and going, and going, and..."
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 01:58 AM   #4
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i used to do a bit of rust proofing and i have seen some pretty sad hiluxs. they seem to attract rust around a lot of the body seams , in the floors , etc. i would be looking for one that has come from the country (away from the salt air).
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 02:06 AM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you are wasting your time with a auto 2wd Hilux. You are MUCH better off with a similar vintage Falcon ute. For ride, comfort, space, towing, braking, handling, performance. Even little things like highbeam lights, stereo, seats, dust sealing are so much better on the Falcon and they last forever.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 02:21 AM   #6
Brodes
Brodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
you are wasting your time with a auto 2wd Hilux. You are MUCH better off with a similar vintage Falcon ute. For ride, comfort, space, towing, braking, handling, performance. Even little things like highbeam lights, stereo, seats, dust sealing are so much better on the Falcon and they last forever.
I'd love a falcon ute but I'm looking at fuel savings too, this will be a work hack too, a light weight 4 banger ute will serve the purpose as well as a work horse when I need it.

Cheers for the info folks, Hilux looks definately the go. Can anyone tell me what model auto tranny these old hiluxs have in 'em? I'm tryin to research how strong they are as well as common probs. Googleing it came up with little
Old 23-11-2011, 02:22 AM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i used to drive diesels of that era hilux now and again for work, non turbo version(rentals), did`nt like them much, good for a farm vehicle, i`d be wary about buying a second hand diesel anyway, costly if they go wrong.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 02:24 AM   #8
Brodes
Brodes

Yeh can't say I'm a diesal fan myself either, I'd be looking at ULP fed.
Old 23-11-2011, 03:24 AM   #9
IDT
Marko

I've had Hilux's as you have described but all manuals. The diesels run like tractors but if you get a good one they run forever, the pertol versions are guttless to the point they will drive you nuts. I have also owned an old triton early 90's model. That was a real basher but you couldn't kill it if you tried.
Old 23-11-2011, 03:56 AM   #10
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

You can pick up 2wd hiluxs with commodore v6s and autos pretty cheap these days. Just more fuel for thought.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 04:00 AM   #11
Gavin Thomas
* 1962 XK Deluxe Sedan *

I drove a work shop supplied 4x2 hilux for a few years. Was a 1995 22R Petrol with 4 speed auto. I believe from memory that the auto trans is a Asain - spelling ? - branded box. It's a very reliable NON electronic controlled auto box - much like a jap version of a borg warner, ie very basic & long lasting, even if not serviced. ( I know the ute i drove for those many years took almost 200,000 k of it's fair share of abuse & mis-treatment, not by just me but also the other mechanic's, apprentices, spare parts guys & detailers that drove it during it's day to day use as a workshop ute ).

I think the auto trans had only 1 fluid change in that whole time & was still changing well when it was eventually sold. Was purchaced by our boss when about 4 years old with approx 70K on the clock - then sold about 8 years later with about 260K on the clock. So it really stood up to a decent test.

Most major items that were replaced during it's work life were the alternator, fuel pump, rear wheel bearings and the hi pressure power steer hose - and all seemed to go around the 200k mark. So i suppose they could be considered as "normal" wear & tear type items for the age & klm's under the use & conditions.

The auto's are a little harder to track down, but well worth getting hold of if you find one. Obviously the lower the k's the better, but the main thing is good service history & overall apperance that might suggest light work only.

Also the older 22R petrols are pretty thirsty for a 4 cylinder - i would look for a later 2.7L EFI petrol - 3rz ? 4 cylinder engine i think. From about 1997 / 1998 onwards. Plenty of power & much better on fuel than the earlier 2.4L carby engine. I think i've seen maybe 1 or two with Diesel & auto - but would be as rare as hens teeth. Petrols are all good for 2wd.

If you can track down a good 1998 onwards EFI 2.7L auto with service history & under 150K then it would be hard to beat as a long term cheap, reliable & low maintainence rig.

Cheers, Gavin.
Gavin Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 04:06 AM   #12
Gavin Thomas
* 1962 XK Deluxe Sedan *

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
.... the pertol versions are guttless to the point they will drive you nuts....
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Maybe you mean in the 4x4 versions ?

In 4X2 versions the petrols are fine for power - in fact the 2.7L EFI 4 cylinder goes very well - which i suppose you would expect for a realitively large capacity 4 cylinder.

Cheers guys.
Gavin Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 05:00 AM   #13
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 2.7 is a torquey engine for its size, but no powerhouse for acceleration. In fact, a friend of mine has a Tacoma single cab with the same engine. He had to try to keep up with me while I pulled a travel trailer/caravan, when I wasn't trying. His was unloaded.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 05:00 AM   #14
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Deleted

Last edited by chevypower; 23-11-2011 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Duplicate
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #15
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'd love a falcon ute but I'm looking at fuel savings too, this will be a work hack too, a light weight 4 banger ute will serve the purpose as well as a work horse when I need it.
No experience on the 2.7 petrol but I'll bet my money that you wont be saving any on gas as opposed to a falcon ute, especially if the Toyota is an auto.
We ran heaps of 2.4 and later 3.0 n/a diesels at my old work, returning around 10l/100km highway. My AU ute does 8.5, at a guess I'd say a 2.7 auto would be worse than all of them. Personally I'd go for a VU 3.8 or AU 4.0, then you aren't paying a premium for a badge, especially if you have to compete with any potential yuppie city slicker hilux posers.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Dont kid yourself that the small 4 cylinder hilux auto will be that cheap to run
Yes they are nimble , but try putting any half decent load and get up any decent hill
To keep to speed in that situation your fuel bill will be crazy
I sold a mid 90s 4 banger hilux as i was totally disgusted on its economy and its lack of power when it was required
Comparing it to say my mid 80s diesel patrol ute
The patrol is the same economy wise, will out accelorate from any speed over the hilux and best will stick to speed when loaded,and pull a fair size trailer

A big 6 IF driven right can get economy near enuf to a 4 pot being flogged
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #17
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the 4 cylinder Hiluxs are too short geared, fine for Bangkok traffic, pointless in Australia. A lpg Falcon will murder it for economy.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #18
2.8L Hilux
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a 4x4 2.7L 3RZ Hilux manual and love it. It is fairly slow as it is a 4x4 however I have driven a 2x4 2.7L (manual) and it would easily keep with with an AU in a straight line, probably even beat it. Not sure how the auto models perform.
They are very cheap and easy to service, easy to get parts for and the fuel economy is OK.
80% city and 20% highway I get a constant 12.3 - 12.5 L/100kms. I imagine the 2x4, even in auto format would be better.

I would definitely steer clear of the 22r Hiluxes, very very thirsty and tend to blow head gaskets.

Good luck mate, let us know how you go.
Old 23-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #19
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The point is that with a Hilux you can go a lot of places a low-slung Falcon ute won't...and the Falcon doesn't have a solid full chassis. Mix in the rego savings of a four over a six and the amazing level of knowledge about modifications and fixes for Hiluxes anywhere you go in the country and it starts to make a lot of sense.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #20
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Nissan navara's are good ute's too. I had a d21 2wd. it was a 1.4 tonner. ka24e engines last forever. Look them up. Just my 2 cents, toyota's are very overpriced in my opinion.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #21
FOMOCO 1
Munch Munch GM's 4 Lunch

I own a 2003 Hilux 2.7 5spd. I will happily sell it to you............
Yes it has been bulletproof so far (130kms on the clock) BUT poor economy, terrible ride and handling, GUTLESS, nothing past 3000rpm, the auto version would be even worse. Typical Toyota, functional but hardly inspirational.
My advice would be to find a second hand Falcon Ute on gas. That's what i'm doing now.
FOMOCO 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #22
Brodes
Brodes

Hmmmm..... definatley some interesting thoughts now I've heard a few more opinions, especially in regards to fuel economy which is one of my aims.

Hilux with a commy v6 driveline sounds interesting I'd def be keen on one of them. But also a falcon ute on gas makes sense too.

I wish I could avoid autos because I know they help suck the juice but unfortunatly I have no choice.

If I do still decide Hilux post 1998 model will def be the go then. But I might go hunting for some gas 6 falcs & navaras and see what I come up with too.
Old 23-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #23
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Safety wise they are pretty shocking also. No airbags, abs, etc.
You also wont get cruise, power windows, power mirrors, intermitant wipers, adjustable seat, no space behind the seats. A base Hilux ute isnt much better than an XF ute equipment wise, and that includes the current model.
A Hilux of that vintage may not even get A/C, but the ones that do will be shockingly slow in auto.

You could also try a Commodore ute, they arnt bad. Engine and trans may not be the most sophisticated, but they last forever.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #24
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This

vs this

2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #25
mistermxer

don't even bother.. Hilux are over rated, if you wanted a 4x4 get a land-cruiser. if you don't want a 4x4 get something else...

mistermxer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #26
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My old man has a 2.7 petrol Hilux. It is very harsh when unloaded and chews more fuel than my V8 carbed mustang.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #27
stev3n

Test drive an AU lpg then test drive a hilux, compare the prices then make a decision. The AU is much more comfortable, powerful, economical and has more features. But some people like Toyota badges. You will also be hard pressed to find an auto hilux
stev3n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #28
Brodes
Brodes

I just found a 2003 BA 6cyl ute auto dedicated gas for only $6200, very tempting but I'm very suspicious at why it's so cheap. These normally sell for more than that eh?
Old 23-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #29
mistermxer

not if private sale. how many kays

mistermxer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #30
Brodes
Brodes

Nearly 240k, fair few kays for a 2003 model I guess, but surely that wouldn't bring the value down alone??