Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-11-2011, 12:57 AM   #1
RAPID_BA
Banned

Default arnt the young fellas today spoilt with what cars are available cheap?

When I was on my p's, the cars we bought were xf falcons and vl commodotes. With a good set of extractors, intake they might push out 125kw. All the money saved up from part time work went into what I thought at the time were formidable cars.

These days a younfg fella with his 10 grand under his arm can pick up some formidable cars, ls1 calais or ss, au xrs, even a ba 6, wrx or a 200ax.

All would destroy the affordable xf or vl from my era. The generation before me in their kingswoods are probably thinking I was spoilt in the xf

Arnt they spoilt for choice and bang for buck these days? Back in my day you wouldn't even know about that sort of performance.

RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Default Re: arnt the young fellas today spoilt with what cars are available cheap?

Performance has been made available as it came. There were plenty of cars back then that were quick *for their time*. It just so happens that theyre even quicker now. Merely the progression of time. But as said, fast cars have been & are always available.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 01:04 AM   #3
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: arnt the young fellas today spoilt with what cars are available cheap?

May have access to more powerful cars. But the laws now days are a hell of alot more strict.
P plate restrictions, harsher speeding fines, loss of licence, even get your car impounded.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 01:07 AM   #4
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I was young 17 or 18 It wasnt uncommon to sit on a 100mph (160kmh) in our crappy Kingswoods and Falcons on retreads on pot-holed bumpy roads. So we had less power, but went faster.

Now its just the other way round. Know what I prefer haha.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 01:45 AM   #5
4VCLEVO
XA GT

They can even pickup xr6t's for less than 10k now, however these cars lack the style of the cars from the 60's and 70's.

On another note, it's good to see that these newer cars that are aforderble are quite safe, most of them with 4 star crash rateings.
Old 13-11-2011, 02:41 AM   #6
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Regardless of power, that's a given.

Today, for the $5k mark you can get such a nice vehicle. Yet more importantly -- more for your dollar.

Today, for $5000 you could pick up a nice straight AUII/I or VX. Probably a completely optioned out EL, VT or high series VS model Commodore with low kms and in mint condition.

When I think back 10 years ago, when I was turning 18. I think the best any one at school did with $5k was an EA Falcon, and most of us had cars from the early 1980s.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

man we didnt buy poofter cars... we got around in $3k XA GT's.....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
man we didnt buy poofter cars... we got around in $3k XA GT's.....
At one stage (1981) i had 2 XA GT's and 1 XB GT.......for the grand total of $11k.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Yes spoilt for choice. We have some very quick new cars around for bugger all!Hope it continues to last!
Old 13-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #10
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
When I was on my p's, the cars we bought were xf falcons and vl commodotes. All the money saved up from part time work went into what I thought at the time were cars.
Shoit you were lucky in my day you couldnt do mych with Austin 7's Morris 10's and Ford Pilots..
Old 13-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #11
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't say so, no. Yes technology has advanced and thank god it has, I would hate to be driving around every day in a sloppy old clunker XF. But with the P-plate restrictions, performance cars are pretty much off limits, unless you call a N/A XR6 a performance car...
Old 13-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #12
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd agree 120% with that.

When I was eighteen and wheeling a 1971 Valiant Charger with the 265 hemi and four speed, it had engine work consisiting of a bit of head work, an E49-grind cam, extractors, twin system, manifold and two barrel 500 Holley (also tried a 465 four barrel once with a borrowed four barrel manifold) and it only just scraped in a calculated 270hp at the flywheel after a dyno run.
Coupled with this was abysmal fuel "economy" that meant I was pouring $50+ a week of Super down its throat when petrol was only 36 cents a liter.

Sitting in our driveway is a G6E whose engine puts out 270hp, and yet cruising along the highway it returns down around the 8 liters to the hundred.

Couple that with easy finance and you're on a winner...I recall back in 1984 having to get mum and dad to go gaurantor on a loan for a car...I needed $4000...and I was in steady employment making a decent wage too. Now they throw car loans at people with a moments notice.

Looking back at one of my favorite old car mags, an 82 Motor magazine with a comparison between the XE ESP 351 and a Brock SS Commodore, you see the power figures that the magazine was quivering over...only 160kw for the 351, and 180 for the modified Brock engine. Move ahead to the cars of the late nineties, and you can still see Clubsports driving around proudly proclaiming 195 and 215kw on the back...and they were seen as amazing powerful cars in the day.

Each generation will look back and say the same thing..."you young guys never had it so good!"...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
The generation before me in their kingswoods are probably thinking I was spoilt in the xf
I think this is the answer right here. Just progression through time.
In a few years, it'll be common place to see FG XR6's And VEII SV6's driving around with p-plates, I've already seen a few.
Cars will keep getting better, and eventually depreciate enough for young guys to afford.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #14
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gee to be young and rich enuf to afford the new then XF,VLs
I had many an early holden when first driving , HRs,HDs
They went everywhere,even off roading
They wernt the fasted ship out there, but they would never die
Sat on any speed limit all day every day, started everyday,never let me down
Yes nowadays they mite have the luxury of powerfull machines, but they will never have the reliability of the ol holdens
Powerfull cars have always been around, back in the day ,mid early 70s the little 202 torries wernt nothin to sneeze at
Bog stock granpas spec new cars have more power than most 70s,80s factory hotties
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #15
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I'd agree 120% with that.

When I was eighteen and wheeling a 1971 Valiant Charger with the 265 hemi and four speed, it had engine work consisiting of a bit of head work, an E49-grind cam, extractors, twin system, manifold and two barrel 500 Holley (also tried a 465 four barrel once with a borrowed four barrel manifold) and it only just scraped in a calculated 270hp at the flywheel after a dyno run.
Coupled with this was abysmal fuel "economy" that meant I was pouring $50+ a week of Super down its throat when petrol was only 36 cents a liter.

Sitting in our driveway is a G6E whose engine puts out 270hp, and yet cruising along the highway it returns down around the 8 liters to the hundred.

Couple that with easy finance and you're on a winner...I recall back in 1984 having to get mum and dad to go gaurantor on a loan for a car...I needed $4000...and I was in steady employment making a decent wage too. Now they throw car loans at people with a moments notice.

Looking back at one of my favorite old car mags, an 82 Motor magazine with a comparison between the XE ESP 351 and a Brock SS Commodore, you see the power figures that the magazine was quivering over...only 160kw for the 351, and 180 for the modified Brock engine. Move ahead to the cars of the late nineties, and you can still see Clubsports driving around proudly proclaiming 195 and 215kw on the back...and they were seen as amazing powerful cars in the day.

Each generation will look back and say the same thing..."you young guys never had it so good!"...:yelrotflm

Until everyone is driving nissan leafs'.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #16
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Its called progression.
Old 13-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #17
xbcool
dazed&confused

yep theres some pretty flash cars out there from the factory .

but ya can't buy street cred ya gotta build it.

ps wifes next ride will probly be an xr6t (geez they go quick) faster than my xb with more comfort

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #18
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
When I was on my p's, the cars we bought were xf falcons and vl commodotes. With a good set of extractors, intake they might push out 125kw. All the money saved up from part time work went into what I thought at the time were formidable cars.

These days a younfg fella with his 10 grand under his arm can pick up some formidable cars, ls1 calais or ss, au xrs, even a ba 6, wrx or a 200ax.

All would destroy the affordable xf or vl from my era. The generation before me in their kingswoods are probably thinking I was spoilt in the xf

Arnt they spoilt for choice and bang for buck these days? Back in my day you wouldn't even know about that sort of performance.
Huh?
There were plenty of 5.0 Commodores and Toranas around on the Genereals side,
the rest of us were hotting up Falcons from XA through to XD with the venerable 351
unless you were in NSW and had access to a big Block 429/460...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #19
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a 1980 corolla, drove it flat out everywhere, sliding revving tilting. Would only do 130-140km/h after a long wind up, but was fun as all the talent of the car(not much) was all used.
Same when had a nice lowered 71 HQ 202 with extractors. Went well, handled better down the twisties (GOR) than mates (standard) XF's and VL's!
Then had an ED, which I drove pretty/very fast also, on the limit a fair bit, sliding etc.
Then Hyundai Accents, which were also completely flat out, especially high speed stuff down country roads and dirt roads in the early 2000's. Not uncommon to be flat out for 5 or 7 hours in a row!(apart from fuel stops!)
I was at one with the cars, even though they werent that great. (all manuals though!)

Now though, the rules are more and more strict! Cant lose my licence, so have lost that 'at one with car' thing I had.

I dont think you could ever become really at one with the latest cars as they are just too fast and handle too well to be able to pull off the most impossible save should it occur. Could do anything with all the other cars I had.

I used to be perfectly happy if say something crossed into my path, Id just fly sideways off the road round whatever and be fine. (maybe a bit confident! haha)

Now would I rather have all the old cars I have had but without the rules and worries of being caught, or a fast car that you can give a squirt every now and then? Much rather having grown up in the corolla and HQ jumping over train tracks down dirt roads than having a new FG XR6T! Strange arent I!?
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #20
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

I learnt to drive in an old mazda 1600 ute. When I got my licence it was mums VL or dads old 4cyl 800cc suzuki ute
Thought I was the Flash in my 250/c4 xb gs fairmont (which ended up with a 302)
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #21
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

i think this is also the reason why we have so much trouble today too. When the older generation was young, they were stupid like any kid. Trouble today is that pov pack falcons and commodores will run rings around nearly all of the best muscle cars of the past. Hence the cars are too overpowered for their skills, hence massive restrictions and govco bleating on about speeding etc. back then then you had to work hard for your performance, and most probably didn't throw it around as lightly as the younger folk do today.
Old 13-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #22
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
I had a 1980 corolla, drove it flat out everywhere, sliding revving tilting. Would only do 130-140km/h after a long wind up, but was fun as all the talent of the car(not much) was all used.
this is exactly me too!
Old 13-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landau Stable
i think this is also the reason why we have so much trouble today too. When the older generation was young, they were stupid like any kid. Trouble today is that pov pack falcons and commodores will run rings around nearly all of the best muscle cars of the past. Hence the cars are too overpowered for their skills, hence massive restrictions and govco bleating on about speeding etc. back then then you had to work hard for your performance, and most probably didn't throw it around as lightly as the younger folk do today.
Another issue is the freedom of credit and "parental spoiling" of the gen y/z (and yes I am guilty of this too).

When I was a teenager there was no "motor finance wizard" and to get a car loan you needed a substantial deposit and a have held a job (A JOB not 27 casual jobs lasting about 3 days each in between 6 different uncompleted Uni/tafe courses while you ponder whether you want to be a supermodel, CEO or reality TV star 30 seconds out of school) so your car was precious, took you a LONG time to save up for and if you lost/broke it you had to walk for a LONG time until you saved up again.

This is part of the "hoon law" problem, those who make the laws do not quite understand that the threat of losing your car only works if the car has actual value to you. If you got it for free or owe $quillions on it but can just go bankrupt (again) to get rid of the debt because no one cares any more then why worry......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #24
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Im actually amazed by how much money people have to spend on their first and (EDIT stupid predictive text) second cars! Sure the value of $$ is different now. But only 15+ years ago my mates and I had no more than $1500 to buy our first cars... I had to borrow most of it and I had a job! Now I see young people getting cars for between $5000 - $10000!

Yep there's a great range with good performance, but the fact they can afford them is amazing.

I wonder what my 5 month old boy will have the means to own with his first car... at this rate... maybe an Aston Martin?!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #25
austyphoon

Quote:

I would probably say it's harder for them then it used to. Most of the cars you just listed are not available to P Platers.
austyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #26
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by austyphoon
I would probably say it's harder for them then it used to. Most of the cars you just listed are not available to P Platers.

Its funny then I continually see P platers displaying their P plates on V8s and turbo'd cars.... It doesnt appear to bother them..

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Well, I've been working since I was 15 and saving up christmas/birthday money well before then which helped me afford my first car which was a 2009 WS Fiesta I bought new for $18,000, I sold it earlier this year and bought another new LV TDCI Focus.

Numerous cheap jap imports and high powered aussie cars, but we can't drive them legally.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #28
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
Now I see young people getting cars for between $5000 - $10000!

Yep there's a great range with good performance, but the fact they can afford them is amazing.
A young person working part time could easily save that over a few months, provided they don't waste it all on alcohol or other useless crap like Playstations. Nothing wrong with spending $5-10k on a first car. You won't get anything half decent for anything less than that. Who wants to drive around in a $1500 unsafe, unreliable and embarrassing piece of junk? Why not save and buy something decent?

I think also, certainly amongst my friends, performance cars and cars in general just aren't an interest for young people these days. I can't think of anyone in my social circle that owns or aspires to own a 'performance' car or even changes their own oil.
Old 13-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #29
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

the young fellas of my day were spoilt because we could buy coupes - and other bathurst type cars
i am much happier having got my license back in 87. the cars available were much better, the power (although mine was a 6) was relevant to the day - the laws were less strict. my mates would have lost 2 or 3 cars each for what they were picked up for. even i would have lost the coupe for 2 days at least once
there were more places to hoon in a relatively responsible manner - it was much better in my day
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #30
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably a pretty fair comment about the results of being an idiot today and back then.

I started out driving in an old '71 Mazda Capella...maybe 60kw or brute power...yet I gave it the berries everywhere and had a ball doing what we would now call "being a hoon", yet probably never got much over the speed limit.

Now if you start out in a plain-Jane VS or VX or AU Falcon, you might not realise it but you've very likely got more power at your command than a GT Falcon or 327 Monaro. Acting up will very quickly get you into a world of trouble when you run out of talent.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post