Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default 2012 BMW 3 Series

Sport
Luxury

Modern

The BMW 3 Series Sedan with Sport Line.

The new BMW 3 Series Sedan with Sport Line promises unbridled dynamics and sets clear visual accents. Its striking design features in high-gloss black reinforce its sporting appearance.

Eight boldly designed kidney grille slats in high-gloss black produce an especially athletic effect for the front end. Embedded in a chromium-coloured frame, the BMW kidney grille appears even larger. In the front apron, black air inlets with aluminium-coloured horizontal bars emulate the dynamic shape of the headlights and otwardly emphasise the muscular wheel housings.

This is where, depending on the model, 17-inch or 18-inch light-alloy wheels in a double-spoke design create the sporting impression – while retaining the visual lightness. The 18-inch light-alloy wheels are designed exclusively with a bicolour appearance.
The design of the new BMW 3 Series Sedan with Sport Line conveys athleticism from every perspective. Viewed from the side, wing mirrors and window surrounds optionally available in high-gloss black further emphasise the sporting appearance. Another trim strip in high-gloss black on the lower part of the tail end underlines the visual breadth. The exhaust pipe finishers are designed in black chrome.
On the inside, contrasts between black and red express the typical BMW athleticism: red contrast rings on the round gauges of the instrument panel, including sporting chrono scaling, red contrasting stitching on the sports steering wheel and a basic decorative trim strip in high-gloss black with coral red accentuated strip.
Available as an alternative is the fine-grain brushed aluminium decorative trim strip and matt coral red or high-gloss black accentuated trim. The sports seats fitted as standard are available in two cloth and three leather versions, four different colours and corresponding contrasting stitch colours with a sporting stitch pattern.

As a distinctive feature of the Sport Line, the vehicle key is designed in black with a red decorative strip.

The BMW 3 Series Sedan with Luxury Line.

The new BMW 3 Series Sedan with Luxury Line impresses with its especially classical and elegant design. Discreet and refined design elements made of high-gloss chrome unit exclusivity on the exterior with sporting agility and are characteristic of the individual features of the line.
The BMW kidney grille with eleven chromium-plated slats creates an intricate yet striking impression. Added to this are two slightly offset chromium-plated bars in the air inlets of the front apron, which fit in perfectly with the overall image of the line.

A side view of the special 17-inch or 18-inch light-alloy wheels in the multi-spoke design emphasises the elegance of the new BMW 3 Series Sedan with Luxury Line. The surrounds of the side windows are chrome-plated.

An elegant, high-gloss chromium-plated trim strip runs along the rear apron, adding extra flair to the classical design of the Luxury Line. The exhaust pipe finisher is styled in high-gloss chromium.

A high-quality decorative wooden surface in anthracite with a high-gloss accent trim strip in satin chrome and, alternatively, an elegant root wood surface with artistic inlay sets standards in terms of exclusivity. Three high-quality leather covers with exclusive stitching and one fabric cover in four classically elegant colours with exclusive stitching emphasise the enticing atmosphere of the Luxury Line. This is the only Line to feature a chromium-plated strip surrounding the radio and climate control unit.

The BMW 3 Series Sedan with Modern Line.

Rarely has the future-oriented design of a vehicle line been so visible as in the new BMW 3 Series Sedan with Modern Line. Perfectly harmonising material and surface colours create a sense of timeless modernity and a cultivated atmosphere in the interior. Enjoy a light and enticing feeling of spaciousness.

Eye-catching features in the BMW 3 Series Sedan with Modern Line are the light colouring of the instrument panel and steering wheel. Exclusive leather covers or fabric/leather combinations in oyster or black and, as an option, three decorative surfaces with satin chrome accent trim strips create a world of colours to generate a feeling of well-being – and an extraordinary range for this class. In particular, the Fineline Pure genuine wood design, styled in open-pored wood with three-dimensional surface structures turns each touch into a haptic experience.

On the exterior, the BMW kidney grille with eleven slats in chrome matt sets especially modern accents in the front section. It harmonises exceptionally well with the satin-finish aluminium design features on the front and rear of the Modern Line and the twin bars in the air inlets styled in the same colour. Light-alloy wheels of 17-inch or 18-inch diameter in Turbine styling reinforce the future-oriented concept of this equipment line.

As a distinctive feature of the Modern Line, the vehicle key is designed in the colour oyster – with a matt silver decorative strip.

M SPORT PACKAGE.

Athleticism is inbred in the new BMW 3 Series. Those looking for even greater dynamic character will find just what they require in the M Sport package, including many extra equipment items. Discover its benefits – from the third quarter of 2012 at your BMW Dealer’s.

The M Sport package with its innovative equipment features is based on the athleticism of the new BMW 3 Series Sedan with Sport Line and turns to the BMW M3 for its appearance. One constituent is the M Sport suspension lowered by ten millimetres with stiffer spring and damper settings as well as harder stabilisers.
Its dynamic character is emphasised by the exclusive M Sport body colour of Estoril Blue metallic, a special aerodynamics package with numerous body components, chromium exhaust pipe finishers, modified suspension settings and M Sport light-alloy wheels with a diameter of 18 or 19 inches.

Front and rear bumpers, sill covers in body colour and a striking diffusor insert in Dark Shadow Metallic on the tail underline the sporting character of the M Sport package, exploiting its visual effect to the full.

On the inside, the M Sport package includes the M leather steering wheel with multifunction including short-shifter gear lever (for manual transmission) in soft leather nappa with M emblem and sports seats. The seat covers are in a characteristic fabric-Alcantara design. In addition, there are three further leather finishes.
The decorative surface is designed in Aluminium Hexagon with blue accent trim strip. The M emblem decorates the entry sill and footrest.
The M Sport package – made-to-measure ingredients for true sports enthusiasts.

Old 16-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
hamoudy10
Ford Nut

Default Re: 2012 BMW 3 Series

VERY NICE! Much better than the current one.

Petroleum FG MKII XR6 Turbo - 350rwkw

Magnetic 2017 Mustang GT - 300rwkw
hamoudy10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks fresh.

But geesh, those Euro pedestrian standards are really starting to make an impact on frontal styling.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah thats pretty cool.

I havent sat in a new 3 series before, but are they any roomier than the C class? I was quite underwhelmed by the C class, they look like a largish car but its tight, and I am not a wide person.
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Bring back Chris Bangle!

Then again, I might warm up to it one day.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it just me or do they have a Cruze look about them from the rear? That is not a derogatory remark as I am a fan of the Cruze styling.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well that explains all the texts and phone calls I have been ignoring from BMW dealers over the last week...

They look pretty good though.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

The front is very complex but its a nice change to some of the other bland stuff getting about.

Although all the little details will be pretty good at collecting dirt etc
Old 16-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the idea of the different key designs for the different ranges.

Always been a fan of the 3-series

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I like it.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #12
F6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Bring back Chris Bangle
Here here !!

Current crop of BMW's are too "safe" in their styling (esp' 5 series) , Bangle had a bit of edge....

I was reading about the incoming M3... it will be a V6TT !!.. Jesus the purists will cry like babies !

The V6 will be the 2012 M5's V8TT with 2 cylinders hacked off , following the trend, as the current M3's V8 is the E60 M5's V10 with 2 cylinders missing...

F30 looks beter than F10. New 1 series looks woefull.

current rides.....
F6E - Cooler, Cat, CAI, Flash, 20's, SSL's - 317 rwkw : 9/10
BFII - Workhorse yoot : 6/10

past bitches of note.....
E60 M5 - V10 excess, the pinacle : 11/10
VE SSV - 102000 trouble free Kms : 9/10
VZ Cross8 - V8 AWD, great allrounder. : 8/10
BA XR8 - Fat & Slow : 3/10
XH XR6 - 8/10
XG S - 7.5/10
F6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Not a fan, wasn't a fan of the last series either. Preferred the E46.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

BMW cant win, people went ape when Bangle did his work, now people want it back? Sounds like AU syndrome.

Id hardly call that safe. I had a new 5 behind me yesterday and it looked pretty menacing if you ask me, wasnt event he sport version.

The first pic above is not a flash angle, but the rest look pretty sharp, you wont mistake it for anything else thats for sure.

I do agree the 1 series is a bit off. But Merc are for more "middle of the road" than BMW.
Old 16-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #15
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Not a fan, wasn't a fan of the last series either. Preferred the E46.
+1. None of the BMWs since the late 1990s look any good.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #16
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
I like it.
Me to.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #17
Till_Lind
E-series fan

I like the wheels...
Old 16-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #18
woteva

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6E
Here here !!

Current crop of BMW's are too "safe" in their styling (esp' 5 series) , Bangle had a bit of edge....

I was reading about the incoming M3... it will be a V6TT !!.. Jesus the purists will cry like babies !

The V6 will be the 2012 M5's V8TT with 2 cylinders hacked off , following the trend, as the current M3's V8 is the E60 M5's V10 with 2 cylinders missing...

Purists? BMW ****ed off the purists when they dumped the straight six in favour of a bent 8. Although the E90 does sound rather horn with the 4.0 V8!
woteva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #19
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This car will be the best 3 series ever.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #20
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6E
Here here !!

I thought it was going to be an I6TT?
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #21
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dislike it. Though with the number plate the front end looks ok.

I still don't understand why people think euro interiors look so good. I haven't seen one yet that i like.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #22
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I like an angry front end - that front end to me just looks grumpy with a duck face.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #23
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamoudy10
VERY NICE! Much better than the current one.
E36 still has a much better looking nose , the pedestrian rubbish makes the nose way to "jimmy Durante"
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #24
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Germany is having some sort of revolution with car design, it seems Audi, Merc and BMW are heading off blurring the lines of Art Sculpture and Car design. much of the 80's and 90's products were a bit "same-ish"...and when you get up close and have a look at the panel gaps/edges, and little details...its amazing.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #25
RAPID_BA
Banned

a mate of mine just bought a 2011 330d. turbo diesel.

520nm and 180kw.7 spd auto and m sport options.

i took it for a drive. nice machine, very firm ride for a luxury car.

goes ok. its a mid size car.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #26
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69

I still don't understand why people think euro interiors look so good. I haven't seen one yet that i like.
Didnt think there was such a thing as a Euro interior?
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #27
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'd be happy to get hit by a 2012 F30 compared to a E36. The bonnet also ejects upwards from rear to soften the blow and avoid contacting the windscreen (only about 3 inches). You can go back to the dealer to get the bonnet set back down.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #28
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69

Go and sit inside an E39 5 series. Not only does it look good it's built like a brick **** house. One of the best, if not the best sedans produced period.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 10:44 PM   #29
F6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by woteva
Purists? BMW ****ed off the purists when they dumped the straight six in favour of a bent 8. Although the E90 does sound rather horn with the 4.0 V8!
Not so......

The M3 started as a I4 (E30) then went I6 , I6 and currently V8
Similar story for the M5 - I6, I6, V8 , V10

Different configurations but all true to the real ///M engine philosophy..

Bespoke/Unique to M cars, NA, free & high reving, 100+/HP/Litre.

Until now (2012) when manufacturers are slave to meeting emission and fuel consumption requirements.... solution ? ...snails....

Same story over at AMG, the ultimate V8 (6.3) will soon go for the 5.5TT.

current rides.....
F6E - Cooler, Cat, CAI, Flash, 20's, SSL's - 317 rwkw : 9/10
BFII - Workhorse yoot : 6/10

past bitches of note.....
E60 M5 - V10 excess, the pinacle : 11/10
VE SSV - 102000 trouble free Kms : 9/10
VZ Cross8 - V8 AWD, great allrounder. : 8/10
BA XR8 - Fat & Slow : 3/10
XH XR6 - 8/10
XG S - 7.5/10
F6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 11:24 PM   #30
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think they have ruined what was a good looking front end personally.
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post