Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
tewesy

Default Scammers

Trying to sell my car this weekend and spent all today emailing an (loser) individual in regard to details, here is the scam unfolding....

thanks for mailing back,am ok with the price and the condition,am
buying it for my vacation,because i'll be coming soon from our rig as
am a petroleum engineer on a rig offshore,i won't be able to come for
the inspection due to the nature of my work,i would have love to call
in person but our satellite server has been down which restrict our
calls.i will be paying you through PayPal,pls get back to me with your
PayPal details so i can proceed with the payment and contact the
courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in my place.
Await your reply.

Ok send me your bsb and account number so that i can transfer the money to your account.

ok mate,i will let you know when the payment has been made and also contact my pick up agent.he will be signing the transfer papers on my behalf and all other necessary papers.

HERE IS THE PUNCHLINE

Message Body
I was just about to pay when i had this problem with the pick up, my
pick up agent says i will need to pay for the pick up before they can
schedule a pick up time, they charged me $950 for pick up and
delivery, and payments for pick up made through them is made to their
corporate international headquarters which is in the united kingdom
and the payments is made through western union money transfer, i will
add the $950 to the money i will send through paypal as soon as i have
made the payments, i will email you and let you know and please i will
need you to help me send the money to my pick up agent Hq in the UK
through western union money transfer, this can be done from any post
office ,there is always western union money transfer section in most
post offices(you can do it online as well at www.westernunion.com)...,
i would have done it myself but as i am at sea and didnt bring my
credit card aboard, i am a little incapacitated.I will appreciate your
help here.

You dont want to see my replies as it would be ALL edited.

There were a couple of them...BEWARE ALL YOU OUT THERE.

tewesy
Perth

tewesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
notty1978
NOTTY

Default Re: Scammers

i used to get around 3 a week saying the same thing
notty1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
rochey

you get the same crap of gum tree,
rochey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

welcome to my oil rig......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These scams have been going on now for the last 5 or 6 years. The dead give away for me is he buying it for his vacation as soon as he gets off the oil rig. Cheaper to use hertz or avis.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oooooold as the hills
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #7
IDT
Marko

yep been there done that. but instead of vacation it was for his father who lives interstate
Old 15-10-2011, 11:51 PM   #8
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Up until the "punchline" it sounded perfectly normal...it's how I sold my Morris Minor recently...guy deposited money into my account, told me he was having trouble getting down to pick it up, and that he would make arrangements, then his brother turned up later to pick it up.
However, once you mentioned the "adding the shipping" for you to pay and "Western union" I became very wary. PayPal is traceable and secure, with comeback if it all goes pear-shaped. Western Union? You may as well mail the guy some cash in an envelope.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #9
tewesy

Funny that, I just got another one...they are sortof like a computer game, I just love abusing them ....and their mother, and what he should do to his dog, and how I suggested where some car parts would fit...
heh heh heh. I just hope they read it.
Old 16-10-2011, 01:08 AM   #10
Gavin Thomas
* 1962 XK Deluxe Sedan *

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewesy

...... i am a little incapacitated.I will appreciate your help here......

tewesy
Perth
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So did you tell that scamming a/h that he'll be even more capacitated if you ever get a hold of him,

Also i'd offer him $50 towards his first english lesson & call it quits.
Tell 'em that cause that would really be-little him & shut him down.
Gavin Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 01:38 AM   #11
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Why is it always western union?
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 03:30 AM   #12
eleanor67
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah had the same thing when i tryed to sell my dirt bike on gum tree and ebay. The dum *** was willing to pay $800 more than i wanted. when i told him to come and have look first and then still wanted to pay more then its yours. then he was in the NT doing some under water bull sh## lol, so he got told not so nicely to go away. I got atleast 6 a day so in the end i just took it off...
eleanor67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #13
krzysiek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Up until the "punchline" it sounded perfectly normal...it's how I sold my Morris Minor recently...guy deposited money into my account, told me he was having trouble getting down to pick it up, and that he would make arrangements, then his brother turned up later to pick it up.
However, once you mentioned the "adding the shipping" for you to pay and "Western union" I became very wary. PayPal is traceable and secure, with comeback if it all goes pear-shaped. Western Union? You may as well mail the guy some cash in an envelope.
Not to say that your trust in PayPal is a bad thing, but I'll just ask you be wary mate.

I sell on eBay and process around ~100 orders via PayPal per week. I have been selling for a few years now and have made / received a lot of different payments.

One thing I will tell you is that PayPal is there to firstly protect themselves.

Should someone send you a 'large' amount via PayPal and you deliver their goods - when / if it comes to them trying to get their money back, they have several options at their disposal. Item not received (if you don't have THEIR signature as proof of delivery), item not as described, unauthorized transaction, or just a charge back right off of their credit card.

All of the options above (minus the credit card chargeback) will put your account (and the funds) into review. This means your funds disappear, or if you have already taken them - your account will go into negatives.

They will perform the review, and unfortunately: you will find they sit on the buyers side most of the time. You will have a hard time proving your case against one of the above 'claims' or 'problems' (item not received, not as described or unauthorized).

In the end result, you will likely find out that you lose - or you may win, the process is extremely tedious and time consuming.

I have had a friend who had $4,000 locked in his PayPal (he wasn't doing anything wrong, one of their 'legitimacy checks')

Anyway, to cut it short: we didn't get that money back for around 3 weeks. We had sent in phone bills, gas & electricity bills, drivers license photo ID, PASSPORT - the WORKS.

And they were denying it all for very silly reasons. I didn't want to send in my friends Passport (I was helping him as he doesn't know PayPal well). I was not happy that they were getting so much information from him for NO reason.

Anyway, we ended up sending in the passport. And then they denied it. They said it had expired more than X years ago.

Unfortunately for them, it actually was an ACTIVE Passport. They did not even CHECK. They just denied it so that they could keep the funds in their account.

I hang around marketing forums, and this is COMMON. They make you work so hard to get your $, that at times people just give up and 'let it go'. That's a lot of money PayPal gets to keep collectively from people just letting them have it. Of course, there was no way they were going to keep $4K.

Anyway, after weeks of trying to get the funds unlocked - I called them up, asked for the ladies name, informed her that SHE was being recorded. I told her the situation, and I told her I was taking them to small claims court in 48HRS. I told them the location and address on the call. I said unless these funds are unlocked within 48HRS, I will be going to court and using this recording as proof, along with many many other emails, to show that PayPal is trying to steal my money. (I spoke on friends behalf).

Anyway, next morning the funds were unlocked.

So the moral here is: guys, please don't sell your car by PayPal. No matter what! Even if the buyer seems completely legit, you DO NOT want to take such a risk.
krzysiek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #14
krzysiek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Why is it always western union?
This is the idea. He wants to pay you $10K for a car, and then his 'delivery' guy said that he will charge him $950 for delivery or whatever.

Of course, his delivery guy isn't going to fall for the PayPal scam, so he can't just pay him $950 via PayPal.

So he asks the seller to pay the 'delivery guy' in his behalf, and he will just pay him via "PayPal" the extra charge.

This can go either way here (I don't actually know, I am just assuming now).

Either the seller pays via Western Union the delivery guy, and then the buyer pays the seller via PayPal $10,950. Delivery guy comes to get the car, deliver it to buyers specified location - then buyer takes his money back via PayPal.

OR

Seller pays the 'delivery guy' via Western Union - 'delivery guy' turns out not to be 'delivery guy' and cashes the Western Union for $950.00 and then you never hear from either of them again.

Western Union is chosen because once the payment has been picked up, that deal is done. You will never get your money back from Western Union once it is picked up.

Doing a charge back won't do you any good either. Western Union will be right after you.

TIP: If you send someone a Western Union payment and later suspect they are scammers, you can call up Western Union and change the receivers information over the phone. Change the name back to your name. They will not be able to pick it up anymore.

Then you go back into the Post Office and collect the payment under your own name. You will have only lost the Western Union transaction fee.
krzysiek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #15
n0name
2-Stroke

If I were selling a car I would only sell for cash in hand or a bank deposit. Least headaches this way and any normal person would be fine paying via these methods.
n0name is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #16
tj351
xt 500 P plater

coped the same **** for a mustang on ebay being young i didnt even know how dodgy these dirtbags can be! it all seemed sus as wanting me to send money to england for a car that was in QLD i even spoke to the seller, she couldnt speak a word of english haha
Old 16-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #17
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id just message them back saying, if you don't have time to pick the car up because you live on an oil rig, then you probably don't have time to drive the car.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 11:22 PM   #18
Assassinbm

Yes send back message F*#K of scum sucking dog, find another victim,

regards
Not Another Victim
Old 17-10-2011, 03:46 AM   #19
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the assumption that they could be genuine, pick a method of payment that puts you in the position of power...let a buyer direct deposit it into your account (it's not like he can withdraw money from your account), then transfer it to another account and hang onto it until he picks up the car. If he doesn't, his loss...the ball is in his court and it is then up to him to arrange pickup.
Also it's a good idea to get some sort of reciept set up and digitally signed by both parties with pickup details. Then, once again, it's in his hands.

If they start waffling and hesitating and start talking the "you arrange shipping for me" rubbish, walk away.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #20
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysiek
This is the idea. He wants to pay you $10K for a car, and then his 'delivery' guy said that he will charge him $950 for delivery or whatever.

Of course, his delivery guy isn't going to fall for the PayPal scam, so he can't just pay him $950 via PayPal.

So he asks the seller to pay the 'delivery guy' in his behalf, and he will just pay him via "PayPal" the extra charge.

This can go either way here (I don't actually know, I am just assuming now).

Either the seller pays via Western Union the delivery guy, and then the buyer pays the seller via PayPal $10,950. Delivery guy comes to get the car, deliver it to buyers specified location - then buyer takes his money back via PayPal.

OR

Seller pays the 'delivery guy' via Western Union - 'delivery guy' turns out not to be 'delivery guy' and cashes the Western Union for $950.00 and then you never hear from either of them again.

Western Union is chosen because once the payment has been picked up, that deal is done. You will never get your money back from Western Union once it is picked up.

Doing a charge back won't do you any good either. Western Union will be right after you.

TIP: If you send someone a Western Union payment and later suspect they are scammers, you can call up Western Union and change the receivers information over the phone. Change the name back to your name. They will not be able to pick it up anymore.

Then you go back into the Post Office and collect the payment under your own name. You will have only lost the Western Union transaction fee.
The scam is this ,
The buyer wants the car lets say 10 grand
They offer to pay you 10 grand plus an additional $950 for shipping
So $10,950 is in your paypal account,but ya cant have it the buyer has got paypal to freeze the funds till they give the OK
Bit like an uncleared bank cheque, numbers are in the account, but no access
Now the buyer gives you detail to deposit said shipping money into usually a western union account of their choice
When you deposit said funds, you notify the buyer thinking they will get the paypal funds unfrozen
But when you pay the $950 and tell them , they take that $950 to never be seen again
Then the seller contacts paypal and gets their money back from paypal
So the sale of the car doesnt happen,your paypal account is now $0,and your $950 worse off
The scam is the fake delivery amount , that people pay them
They dont want the car,bike,boat or whatever
They only want that delivery $$$
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #21
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
These scams have been going on now for the last 5 or 6 years. The dead give away for me is he buying it for his vacation as soon as he gets off the oil rig. Cheaper to use hertz or avis.
As soon as i seen 'vacation' it spelt scam to me aswell.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #22
tewesy

Paypal are CRAP, I literally had 200$ stolen out of my account by a hacker and I claimed it back but they only rejected my claim, lucky that because it is linked to my CC that my bank repaid me, even on ebay you cant list your product without having a "safe selling option" so I put in the item description no friggin paypal!!

Yeah, got another one yesterday, he's in the UK, what a waste of time they are though, they seem to all send a tex messege that you can't reply to only a website, I called the feds but they want nothing to do with it, guess they are too busy manning thier speed cameras. I see there are still people getting sucked in though, sad for them.
Well at least I got chance to vent some steam and get some anger of my chest. I had the same when I sold a car on tradingpost so its not just gumtree or ebay.
Old 17-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #23
Uknown
Starter Motor

i feel sorry for those real oil riggers trying to buy a car......
Uknown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #24
snowcone

Paypal is just as bad as the scammers

Check out this website of all the people that have been screwed by Paypal (me included) and some of the class actions against them

www.paypalsucks.com
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post