Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 18-09-2011, 12:55 AM   #1
RAPID_BA
Banned

Default what could i say to him?

A good mate called me up this morning and said he was going to buy a new car today.

He said after plenty of ARM twisting, he agreed to buy a holden ssv sportswagon with a few options like tow bar, tints etc for $54k brand spanking new 2011 model. He started off looking for a sv6 wagon but wanted a v8. Apparently he couldn't get the sv6 near $40k and had to fight hard to get the ssv under $60k and then under $55k

He wants the wagon for kids and more versatile vehicle coming from a suv

I started with what about a GS from fpv. But won't get one landed for that price and there is no wagon performance car in the Ford range, so what do Ford offer as an alternative to this car?

No performance wagon (no wagon at all) and no v8 in his price range.

I remember the days when you could grab any Ford or holden car and there would be a direct competitor in the other stable (calais for ghia, berlina for fairmont and etc etc)

But in 2011 there is nothing I could retort him with.

Old 18-09-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Default Re: what could i say to him?

If he had his arm twisted into the V8, if you say anything at all you should limit it to asking if he really wants/needs the V8?

If he had his arm twisted into it he might regret the purchase later on, on the other hand, maybe he *wanted* to have his arm twisted.
Old 18-09-2011, 01:08 AM   #3
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
If he had his arm twisted into the V8, if you say anything at all you should limit it to asking if he really wants/needs the V8?

If he had his arm twisted into it he might regret the purchase later on, on the other hand, maybe he *wanted* to have his arm twisted.
I'm sure he wanted the v8 but my point is Ford doesn't have a worthy alternative. Ssv wagon, what's our offer?
Old 18-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Subject has been done to death - why start another silly thread.
SSV wagon great machine if I needed a family chariot it would the choice and he feels the same you are not the messiah but a p i a.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 18-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #5
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Why couldnt you just let him buy it without trying to tell him what to buy,its a damn good car.

Cool story none the less.
Old 18-09-2011, 01:15 AM   #6
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Smile Re: what could i say to him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercordia
I'm sure he wanted the v8 but my point is Ford doesn't have a worthy alternative. Ssv wagon, what's our offer?
nothing....so why start a thread about it Hulk

Territory BPT conversion maybe.
Old 18-09-2011, 02:06 AM   #7
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Err, who cares?

Both are Australian made, both keep australians at work, end of story.

Though, if he just wants a wagon, there is always the Terri.
Old 18-09-2011, 02:11 AM   #8
Perko
Loving The Blown Goodness

Agree with rest of guys the lack of wagon has been done to death. At best look for a low km turbo Terri. Great car, heaps of space and has the blue oval. I have driven the sportswagon and they aren't that bad. Wouldn't buy one though.

Previous 2003 BA XR8 Ute Phantom
Ford Forum Build Thread

The Project 1991 EB XR8 Sedan Monza Red
Project Build Thread
Old 18-09-2011, 02:56 AM   #9
THE SLUG
REAL 4X4'S RATTLE

We just recently upgraded to a VE Wagon for our family car, and although not a V8, it's still a great car for the family. Good on fuel, plenty of room, plenty of power, and she looks pretty nice too

THE SLUG - 1985 Toyota 4Runner
2.8L Turbo, 2.5" exhaust, 5" lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs, lots of stickers

THE DAILY - 2006 BFII XR6T
Process West plenum, intercooler, intake kit, and throttle body relocation, 80lb injectors, 4" dump, twin 2.5" X-Force exhaust, high flow cat, ZF tune, 330rwkw @ 15 psi, 20" staggered MC Racing Simmons copies

THE TOY - 2000 AU Falcon
4.0L, 2.5" straight pipe, T5, BA brakes, spool, stripped out, slammed
Old 18-09-2011, 04:13 AM   #10
fordman302

Can't see the point of having the v8 as the family cad if you think that way...... If you ate so concerned about the family car a nice territory will do, if you want a v8 go a gs or older xr8, I have a seven seater Terry for a family car and an au xr8, when I want to enjoy the full driving trip I take the xr, which is well and truly modded but still gets 600 k's from a tank and when I am being sensible I take the territory, most families these days have two licensed drivers so I can't see any reason why you can't have the best of both worlds, but I might just think a little more straight forward??????
Old 18-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #11
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's another thread about "Whoa!" cars...the Sportswagon has that for a lot of people. Until then, wagons had been seen as stodgy boring family boxes for the married guy who had given up on any pretence of driving something interesting.

Chrysler brought out the 300C wagon, and it made people sit up and take notice, but it was expensive because of import duties, and people were still wary of imports like that.
Then Holden brought out the Sportswagon of a very similar design to the 300C wagon, and people started to reach for thier wallets...the fact that they are available in anything from basic model up to SS and SSV just put the icing on the cake...you could have your perfomance car cake and eat the family wagon idea as well.

Ford dropped the ball big time by not having a wagon in the lineup...and the Territory isn't the answer. It's seen as a "four wheel drive", even if it's closer to a "slightly taller AWD Falcon wagon"...it's not styled like a Falcon. The first ones were close in looks to the Falcon, but now they've gone a different direction to be a very individual model. They're great, I really wish I'd have hung on a while longer and bought an optioned up diesel new-shape Tezza instead of the G6E, but it isn't a "Falcon wagon"...and that's the problem.

I think Ford will have the same problem if it drops the Falcon ute...yes, there are things like the Ranger to "take over" it's spot in the range, but it isn't going to be seen as a "ute" by most buyers...it will be a four wheel drive, which attracts a different section of the buying public.
Old 18-09-2011, 07:34 AM   #12
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden doesn't have an aussie competitor for the Territory.
Holden Captiva? Don't make me vomit
Old 18-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #13
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone here actually seen in the back of VE sportsagon ? The traditional reason and the one I hear from 99.9% of people who buy these hideous things is " I need the space " . The load area is about as big as a KC Lasers glovebox , they are pathetic which is generally never an issue as the same 99.9% of people who buy them will never put anything more than the weeks shopping in the back anyway . These are to wagons what the crweman was to dual cab utes , a poorly executed ill concieved compromise at best . Why dont people just admit they are buying these things for the styling instead of trying to legitimise their decision by invoking the space argument .
Old 18-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #14
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I'm sure your imaginary friend bought an SSV Wagon, this was just started to create an argument and yes this topic has been done to death.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Closed Thread