Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Article supplied on BA IRS oil change 
Default Windscreen Chips and RWC

Mods please move if this isnt the right area.

Going through the process of buying a BA at the moment and got the results of the owners RWC yesterday. The shop that did the RWC said nothing about a 5mm chip on the windscreen DIRECTLY in the line of sight of any normal sized person. It sort of interferes with seeing an oncoming car (a fair distance away) on a highway but hasnt started cracking yet.

I was always under the impression that in QLD a chip was ok if it wasnt in the line of sight but would fail if it was. Any words of wisdom from someone who knows better?

Cheers
Mick

Cleaning wheelie bins-
Cats are good too. Fill to about 20cm with water, add soap and cat. Hold lid firmly closed for two minutes. Be sure to stand well clear when releasing cat.

All Whirlpool gold.
PimpMyHubcap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Re: Windscreen Chips and RWC

I think it has to do with a chip anywhere that inside the sweep of the wipers.
Old 24-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I think it has to do with a chip anywhere that inside the sweep of the wipers.
As above.
If it is chipped in the sweep of the wipers, it wont be RWC.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Is there anything similar in NSW?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
ZcAmbo

In vic you can have a bullseye up to 16mm in diameter or a crack up to 160mm long in any part of the windscreen and it will pass rwc unless the bullseye or crack go through both layers of the windscreen.
ZcAmbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 12:36 AM   #6
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought there was some zone in front of the driver where it was an automatic fail? Not sure. I do seem to recall something about "three chips and you're out"...again, not sure.

On a related note, seeing the "quality" of the roads out here, a mate put me on to a home windscreen repair kit that looks just like the one they use at, say, Novus or Windscreens O'Brien, with the little plastic cross with four suction caps at each end, and an "injector" assembly in the center. It works a treat, and at least every month I have to fix a small chip in the windscreen of the G6E that we get coming back from or going to Rockhampton. It works extremely well if you follow the instructions and is every bit as good as the $160+ repair a shop does, and the kit only costs about $40 online and does heaps of repairs. I've done about five on our screen from large bullseye to smaller chips, and I've done four good sized ones for a mate on his XR6, and there's still heaps of the resin stuff left.

I know you can't advertise on the forum, so I won't come right out and name it, but if you do a Google search should help you find the stuff easily enough. U fix it at home yourself...it's easy...*cough*...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Article supplied on BA IRS oil change 

I will.....*cough*....google now.

That BCF voucher will come in handy now as they stock them. Thanks 2011G6E

Cleaning wheelie bins-
Cats are good too. Fill to about 20cm with water, add soap and cat. Hold lid firmly closed for two minutes. Be sure to stand well clear when releasing cat.

All Whirlpool gold.

Last edited by PimpMyHubcap; 25-08-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 25-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the vic rules for windscreens are pretty lax, can get em out if you need em, but I find most rwc places will make you change it for any chip or damage no matter how small. its just not worth arguing with them coz they have the paper you need. had 1 place make me get it polished. ya wouldnt believe it but his brother was a screen polisher and could be there right away as he was doing another customers car that day too...........
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser
Is there anything similar in NSW?
the only time i've failed a RW was a chip in the 'view box' (an area where the driver sees out), and not when i've had them on the passenger side.
Old 25-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

So judging by these comments, the chip is in the wiper sweep and in the view box. That means it's unroadworthy right?

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
So judging by these comments, the chip is in the wiper sweep and in the view box. That means it's unroadworthy right?
Thats what I would have thought. I`m talking to my mechanic tomorrow and there is a RWC place next to him so I`ll go ask.

Cleaning wheelie bins-

All Whirlpool gold.