Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
damie xd
Starter Motor

Default limited car registration

gday fellow ford buffs have a 1980 model XD fairmont ghia and have been paying full registration but would only drive the car 12 times a year

can anyone suggest a car club that i can join to enable the cheaper registration????

damie xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: limited car registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by damie xd
gday fellow ford buffs have a 1980 model XD fairmont ghia and have been paying full registration but would only drive the car 12 times a year

can anyone suggest a car club that i can join to enable the cheaper registration????
This 12 times a year, what are the purposes of the travelling?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
Kryton

What state are you in is the first question that needs to be answered.

If your in Vic, the laws have recently changed regarding club rego.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
What state are you in is the first question that needs to be answered.

If your in Vic, the laws have recently changed regarding club rego.
Some clubs are aware that some individuals are not necessarily interested in being active and enthusiastic club members and are joining just for cheap rego. Some are bumping up their joining fees, mandating attendance, etc before signing off club rego.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In SA, I believe that you can only drive the car on official club events should you have that type of rego.
I'm waiting to get that type of rego on our XE, but do plan on joining a local club and actually participating in it
Old 02-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
In SA, I believe that you can only drive the car on official club events should you have that type of rego.
I'm waiting to get that type of rego on our XE, but do plan on joining a local club and actually participating in it
i believe they have/had changed that in NSW too. you can only use the car to go on Club santioned activities. log booked too.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I think you will strugle finding a club that will have Club rego that suit's a XD, it's not a vehicle that might be consider eligible for club reg ?.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Must be 30yrs old in QLD to be on club rego....
Quote:
The following types of vehicles with either right-hand or left-hand drive may be registered under the scheme:

vehicles that are at least 30 years old
historic ambulances and historic fire-fighting equipment
street rods (hot rods) — vehicles that have been modified for safe road use and have a body and frame built before 1949
replicas of a motor vehicle, the body and frame of which were built before 1949, that is fitted with a modification plate, code LH9.

Vehicles fitted with a modification plate, code LH10 are not eligible for a special interest vehicle concession.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
I think you will strugle finding a club that will have Club rego that suit's a XD, it's not a vehicle that might be consider eligible for club reg ?.
Then start your own club

The primary issue is that a club registered car being used for other purposes is deemed unregistered in the case of an accident etc.

Can be a huge minefield....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Then start your own club

The primary issue is that a club registered car being used for other purposes is deemed unregistered in the case of an accident etc.

I'm not sure the problem will be with the club, more so the states/territories legalities when you fill out the form and have to attach the vehicles Vin etc, I don't think the authorities will see it the same.
I could be wrong but it would be interesting.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Then start your own club

Again, depends what state your in.
In Vic, you can use the car whenever you want for whatever purpose you want.
So long as your logbook is filled out, there are no issues and your insurance is valid.
So, as i asked earlier, what state is the car to be registered in?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Club rego (in NSW) is very restrictive as already mentioned.

Only driven for club events, and to do repairs / maintenance / rego (must also be most direct route I think).

I think there may have also been a 6km radius limit from your garage for all other driving but not sure if that was or still is currently the case.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Again, depends what state your in.
In Vic, you can use the car whenever you want for whatever purpose you want.
So long as your logbook is filled out, there are no issues and your insurance is valid.
So, as i asked earlier, what state is the car to be registered in?
That's pretty good if it is the case. So you can have an older car on discounted rego and still enjoy it every now and again at your own leisure.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #14
Kryton

Also, its 25 years old older in Vic, dropped down from 30 years.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #15
damie xd
Starter Motor

Hey thanks Guys the car is registered in VIC.
i thought joining a car club with an xd might be tough

as you know if the car is unregistered it does not move and thats the end of it
keeping the car registered means it gets driven and kept in working order.

i really appreciate the feedback
damie xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #16
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check the vicroads website. There is an approved club .. "Ford Owners drivers and restorers club" which you might want to contact.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #17
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is that the Barossa Valley ford club? I'm thinking of joining too my uncle keeps telling me to join but haven't got around to it yet.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #18
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:

I believe you've been fed a load of crock. I have 4 cars on historic in S.A and the rules are as follows.

You can drive the car when ever and where ever you want. You don't have to ask anyones permission, nor do you have to take them specifically on club events.

You can drive the car a maximum of 90 days per year. You must fill in a log book everytime you drive the car and have that, along with the rego papers in the car. Otherwise, if Mr Policeman pulls you up, with the log book not filled in, you'll be done for driving an unregistered vehicle.

If you're caught driving an unregistered vehicle under these circumstances, you'll loose the historic rego, have to pay full rego costs for the time the car has been on this rego and never obtain historic rego ever again.

I believe NSW is the state that requires you to get permission to drive the car, through the club.

I think that clears it up.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #19
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep what SVO supporter said for SA but car must be in original condition, can only have options that were available for that model. We appear to have a very good deal in SA plus shannons insurance is cheap for club registered cars.
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #20
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
I believe you've been fed a load of crock. I have 4 cars on historic in S.A and the rules are as follows.
You sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transport SA Website
Historic and prescribed left-hand vehicles may be:
  • conditionally registered to obtain reduced fees (applicant must be a financial member of a recognised motor vehicle club)
  • registered for periods of one, two or three years
  • driven on a road for up to 90 days during any one year period of registration.
http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transpo...drive+vehicles

So my take on that is that you get reduced fees if your a member of a club???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrghia
Is that the Barossa Valley ford club? I'm thinking of joining too my uncle keeps telling me to join but haven't got around to it yet.
It would be, but haven't looked in to it as I still have a few years until the XE hits the historic age limit. Definitely couldn't join the Valley Hot Rodders club
Old 03-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #21
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
You sure?

I didn't go into the ins and out of it all, but seeing as you doubt it, here goes.

Firstly, a car on historic in S.A needs to be fitted with factory items. eg, if the car came optioned with a V8 and the car was a 6, the V8 can be fitted. If it came with disc brakes as an option, they can be fitted. get the drift there????

Yes, you must be a registered member of a car club. Annual car club fees vary depending on the club. The clubs also have different stipulations on how to remain a financial member.

The car must be inspected by a vehicle inspector, that is part of the car club you wish to be a member of. This inspection isn't a full road worthy inspection, just an inspection making sure it adhears to the factory options available to that particular model.

Once it is approved, you have 90 days (I think) to hand the approval document over to the Dept of Transport, along with a current membership document. Then the Dept will then update the rego details on their system, stipulating the car is on the Historic rego scheme. You also hand over about $140, for rego costs.

If you purchase a car unregistered and it is approved for historic registration, you do not pay transfer fees. (Go find that on the lovely department of transport internet site ).

Once the vehicle is on the historic rego scheme, everytime you wish to re-register the vehicle, yopu must have the rego forms stamped by your car club, stipulating you are a financial member, otherwise you pay full tote odds for rego.

Any more queries you have? Please ask and you'll receive.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 03-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #22
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks svo supporter. That makes it all clear now.
I thought in your first post you were questioning the club membership aspect of it as you never mentioned it in that post, but all good now
Old 03-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #23
sudszy
Banned

Perhaps someone can elaborate on why it is a requirement to belong to a car club to get this type of rego.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #24
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
Perhaps someone can elaborate on why it is a requirement to belong to a car club to get this type of rego.

Ask the powers to be. ie the transport dept. They makes the rules, we just have to follow them.

I don't question it, considering the savings. My club, I pay $35 per annum (family) and rego costs me $140 per year, per car.

Considering I have 4 on this scheme, I can drive each one 90 days per year, do the math. I'm not complaining, nor is my hip pocket.

IMA, not sure of full rego costs for a 6 cyl per annum, but I'm sure 4 lots of historic rego + my annual membership fees is less than 1 6Cyl on full rego.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #25
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
IMA, not sure of full rego costs for a 6 cyl per annum, but I'm sure 4 lots of historic rego + my annual membership fees is less than 1 6Cyl on full rego.
In SA, it's over $600 for me, but I live outside the metro area so get rego discounted for that.

At $140 per car and 90 days of driving, it almost encourages you to buy multiple historic cars and just drive them, moving on to the next one once you've hit 90 days.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #26
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Ask the powers to be. ie the transport dept. They makes the rules, we just have to follow them.

I don't question it, considering the savings. My club, I pay $35 per annum (family) and rego costs me $140 per year, per car.

Considering I have 4 on this scheme, I can drive each one 90 days per year, do the math. I'm not complaining, nor is my hip pocket.

Im sure it saves money, but Im interested on anyone can provide some good reasons as to why one has to be part of a car club. If its only to drive the car to club events, then perhaps I see the logic, but if it allows you 90 days driving anywhere as in SA, then Im not seeing the connection.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #27
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Im sure it saves money, but Im interested on anyone can provide some good reasons as to why one has to be part of a car club. If its only to drive the car to club events, then perhaps I see the logic, but if it allows you 90 days driving anywhere as in SA, then Im not seeing the connection.

Agreed. I think the 'club' connection is unnecessary. Anyone who wants a 'limited use' registration on any vehicle should be entitled to cheaper rego. Granted, I think keeping it limited to 'classic' vehicles is a good idea - but having to be a member of a club is IMO unnecessary and more of an annoyance.
lilmattie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #28
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

It's probably to do with people wanting to "modify" their cars outside the regulations. Most clubs insist you produce the car yearly at the annual registration day, so they can check the car still complies with the regulations.

So in a nutshell, being a member of a club allows the clubs to be the coppers with the inspections of your classic vehicles.

You'll also find, that most car clubs are brand specific. Which means, they are fairly upto date with all the accessories available for that particular brand and the year your particular vehicle was produced.

So it's another way to police what is correct for the car and year, without the headaches associated with other non-brand associated people

Last edited by svo supporter; 04-08-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #29
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The idea is for us people with out of date and un-airbagged cars to actually enjoy the car with out hassles. Most people who own a fully restored "classic" car dont use it as a daily driver.

In QLD you can only drive it in a 5 or 10km radius (not sure which) from its place of registration without any problems.

Does there need to be a connection?

Its like making money from a hobby... the tax man isnt interested until it becomes worth bothering you about how much you make.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #30
craigr1801
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here in tassie you don't need a club .
You can special interest rego a car over 30 yrs oldbut the limits are :
Must be inspected before rego.
Can only use 52 times a year ( unlimited km)
Must use a log book.( and start anew each year)
Rego cannot be transferred to new owner.
Rego costs are about half normal rates( also insurance)
craigr1801 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post