Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
kim and james
FG G6E in Ego

Default RACV... Call someone who cares ???

Am just trying to sort out some car insurance. Am with RACV but have just found AAMI $15.00 per month cheaper for a higher cover. The missus rang RACV today, 45 min wait to speak with a person. I have now been trying for last 20mins only to get engaged signal. I only want to say 4 words to them.....
"PLEASE CANCEL MY POLICY!!!"

Old 11-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: RACV... Call someone who cares ???

There is a very good reason you pay an extra $15 a month...Have an accident and you will find out the hard way with AAMI.

If you don't care for your car change...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It depends if you want to have control over your repairer with AAMI. AAMI control everything, with RACV you have more control who repairs your car. Both have great service and you get a life time warranty with both.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 05:23 AM   #4
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We changed from RACQ some years ago to Allianz...had nothing but good stuff to report about them in the limited number of times we've had to deal with them.

RACQ raised the premium on the car we owned at the time, a VK Calais, by $250 in a year. When we rang, thinking it was a simple error, they said that it was correct. I wanted to know why, as we had made no claims at all and were rating one. The said it was because of increased claims by younger drivers.
I asked what did that have to do with me, and they said they had to spread the cost amongst all insured drivers. Again I asked why, and said why not just increase the premiums of people making a lot of claims and lower premiums for those not making claims.
Amazingly, the answer was that this would "unfairly punish some drivers"...
Good, said I. She said that they would drop out of RACQ if thier premiums rose as a result of higher claims. So F'ing what...let 'em go and let the rest of us be covered at a reasonable rate.

That's the day I changed to Allianz...and learned a little about the "logic" used in the insurance industry...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax
There is a very good reason you pay an extra $15 a month...Have an accident and you will find out the hard way with AAMI.
Just what I was going to say. You get what you pay for.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Do NOT go to AAMI under any circumstances!!!!!!!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim and james
Am just trying to sort out some car insurance. Am with RACV but have just found AAMI $15.00 per month cheaper for a higher cover. The missus rang RACV today, 45 min wait to speak with a person. I have now been trying for last 20mins only to get engaged signal. I only want to say 4 words to them.....
"PLEASE CANCEL MY POLICY!!!"
"Call someone who cares" I haven't heard that slogan in over 10 years, so how is 2001?

The is no cheap insurer, each offer different products at different cost, hence it is always wise to shop around and find what suits you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Do NOT go to AAMI under any circumstances!!!!!!!
Each to their own as they say, but I try and deal with AAMI as little as I can, that's based on my history with them. Not saying they are a bad insurer.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #8
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
We changed from RACQ some years ago to Allianz...had nothing but good stuff to report about them in the limited number of times we've had to deal with them.

RACQ raised the premium on the car we owned at the time, a VK Calais, by $250 in a year. When we rang, thinking it was a simple error, they said that it was correct. I wanted to know why, as we had made no claims at all and were rating one. The said it was because of increased claims by younger drivers.
I asked what did that have to do with me, and they said they had to spread the cost amongst all insured drivers. Again I asked why, and said why not just increase the premiums of people making a lot of claims and lower premiums for those not making claims.
Amazingly, the answer was that this would "unfairly punish some drivers"...
Good, said I. She said that they would drop out of RACQ if thier premiums rose as a result of higher claims. So F'ing what...let 'em go and let the rest of us be covered at a reasonable rate.

That's the day I changed to Allianz...and learned a little about the "logic" used in the insurance industry...

Premiums are all based on statistics, and what they said is kind of correct. It would not be just because of young drivers. But the more claims people have in the type of car you drive, and what area you are from do have a huge part to play in the insurance world. Each company bases premiums on there own claims statistics. Also with theft risk, when a car is stolen from the city, but the car is garaged at another postcode, the theft statistic goes against the postcode where the car is gargaed.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Try being a young guy owning an XR6.
Just add those two letters and that one number and you're immediately the anti-christ.

...and its from 1993.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
fakegt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You only find out what they are like when you need to claim. After 2 hail damage claims with RACV with no dramas I was pretty happy with the outcome. As for the wait on the phone, thats crap and should be better, but what Insurance, Gas, Power company etc doesnt make you wait?
Cheers, Dave
Old 12-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Evans
Try being a young guy owning an XR6.
Just add those two letters and that one number and you're immediately the anti-christ.

...and its from 1993.

You will find the premium to be high for any car not just an XR6. It is mainly because of your age.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
2tone
Starter Motor

dont go with youi unless your over 30!! im 27 and they wouldnt insure me with an XR6!
2tone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #13
nipper575
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The RACT wouldn't insure me with my XR8, AAMI did. I didn't really have a choice, though I didn't really shop around. Either way, at my age the premiums are always huge.

The only insurance mob I've had trouble with (brace yourselves) is Shannons. Nothing to do with claims, never had to make one and I hear that they are very good with that, my problem came from arguing over the agreed value of my vehicle.

Without going into too much detail, I owned a semi-rare 22 year old car in mint condition. Agreed value was dropping at a huge rate every year, despite sales showing the opposite, they were selling for more and more with age, with far more kms on them than my car had. Shannons couldn't see this, so I changed insurers.

When I sold the car to fund my next purchase (XR8), I sold it for 100% more than the value that Shannons said it was worth when I left them, and the car had plenty of interest and it could of possibly sold for more if I wasn't in a rush.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #14
kim and james
FG G6E in Ego

I am just perplexed as both RACV and AAMI were within $2-00 on my Territory and now $15-00 apart on the G6E, if it was based on statistics surely they would be fairly close. My main gripe is the amount of time waiting on the phone, last night I was trying for over an hour to get through and got nothing but engaged tone, its just not good enough. I also have claimed with AAMI in the past with no problems.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #15
FgNewbie
Australia

If applicable, also consider multiple policy discounts you may lose by changing.

I wouldn't touch AAMI with a barge pole either.
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #16
Paxton
Cobblers!

I went from AAMI to GIO.

GIO were ~$250/year cheaper than AAMI, with a larger agreed value, and the same excess. When I rang to ask AAMI what gives, I was on hold for 25 minutes, and then found myself back at their switchboard, so I hung up. I was lucky that I didn't have to deal with AAMI claims, but when I was the meat in a three car sandwich in the EF, GIO were fantastic - and they repaired the car.

I went with GIO again for its replacement, too.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #17
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tone
dont go with youi unless your over 30!! im 27 and they wouldnt insure me with an XR6!
I got a quote online from Youi and it was $1800. I currently pay ~$1000 with Shannons. Usage is about 15000kms p.a. garaged at home, driven to work, rating 1
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2011, 12:11 AM   #18
Scott

What's the issue with AAMI? I've not had to claim with them but I have has a couple of cars with them for years after NRMA annoyed the hell out of me.

So what is it? Payout rate??
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2011, 12:13 AM   #19
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AAMI has control over where your car get's repaired. That was most people issue when I worked in motor claims for them.
Old 13-05-2011, 12:17 AM   #20
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I just changed my insurance today to Lumley.

I have been with RACV, AAMI and Shannons and based on Lumley's premiums and what they offer, it was a no brainer.

I had rang them before but hadn't heard of anyone that had used them when something went wrong in an accident. I have since heard glowing reports of their service so I switched!

Insurance is expensive at the best of times...but it is still safer to have it
Old 13-05-2011, 12:30 AM   #21
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
You will find the premium to be high for any car not just an XR6. It is mainly because of your age.
I realise that, I've had a twin cam corolla (AE82) and that was cheap compared to this.
My EA wagon wasn't even close to as expensive and my Telstar definitely wasn't (all three I've mentioned were when I was on P1s, not P2s - which I am now on.)
Old 13-05-2011, 12:51 AM   #22
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I just changed my insurance today to Lumley.

I have been with RACV, AAMI and Shannons and based on Lumley's premiums and what they offer, it was a no brainer.

I had rang them before but hadn't heard of anyone that had used them when something went wrong in an accident. I have since heard glowing reports of their service so I switched!

Insurance is expensive at the best of times...but it is still safer to have it

Lumley do a few fleet company's they also do all Victorian police cars I think.
Old 13-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #23
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The biggest issue with AAMI, GIO and Just Cars is they are underwritten by Suncorp and all are coming into line with procedures.

It's when you have an accident, you lose control of your vehicle. They will make you feel warm and fuzzy by giving you a valet service, which is drop the car off at an assesment centre and they'll look after it.
What goes on behind closed doors, is they'll tender your car out to any amount of their repairers, the cheapest quote will get the job. Don't be surprised if you end up with second hand or non genuine parts on your car, even if it's only three years old.
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #24
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From their web site

new business system

RACV is currently introducing a new business system to further improve efficiency and services to our members.

The new system roll out is causing some short-term disruptions to our processing capacity and we ask members to be patient as we complete the system upgrade.

RACV’s Roadside Assistance service and member insurance claims are not affected by the system upgrade. However, some member transactions through our call centre and retail shops are taking longer.

We apologise for any inconvenience to our members and will continue to keep you informed through regular updates on the RACV website and through our call centre and RACV shops.

If it is more convenient, you can update your details, get an insurance quote, purchase
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #25
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The biggest issue with AAMI, GIO and Just Cars is they are underwritten by Suncorp and all are coming into line with procedures.

It's when you have an accident, you lose control of your vehicle. They will make you feel warm and fuzzy by giving you a valet service, which is drop the car off at an assesment centre and they'll look after it.
What goes on behind closed doors, is they'll tender your car out to any amount of their repairers, the cheapest quote will get the job. Don't be surprised if you end up with second hand or non genuine parts on your car, even if it's only three years old.
All insurance company use OEM or second hand parts. But if your car is in the warranty period, by law all insurance company's need to use brand new genuine parts, as stated in the insurance code of practice. Also AAMI just don't have valet service, they also have a driveway, which is very different from a valet and you have a bit more control over who repairs the car.
Old 13-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #26
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

removed
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #27
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:

I had choice of repairer with GIO.

Second Hand parts were put onto my Fifteen Year old EF. I did not lose one second of sleep over that fact. I didn't use the Valet Service - my car still drove (just), and my Wife picked me up from their assessment centre. Less than one week later, I went overseas for two weeks. GIO kept me in the loop by emailing me (it is quite difficult to get Mobile signal on a cruise ship) exactly what was going on with the car. When I returned, the car had been towed to my house, and the keys left with my neighbour, which is what I requested.

Nothing but good things to say about GIO.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #28
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Aami insured my BA XR6 for about 900 a year. I was 19 at the time.
The claim took 5 months to pay out but that was extreme circumstances so I forgive them that. I will be insuring my bike through a specialist bike insurer however, as I don't think aami insure bikes. Another car I would happily insure with them though.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #29
NCF302

racv is ****. a mate had some dumb **** run up his **** and they wrote it off and tried to give him 9k for it, they asked for 12 and 3 months later they say they will repair it instead. after its been recorded as a write off... wtf?
they just want the money but they are being dicks about it. there is so much more to the story but cant be stuffed with the details...
NCF302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #30
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Have my BA insured with AAMI and they have at least allowed my modifications without voiding my insurance. Other companies were cheaper but allowed no mods at all.