Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
WOLF
Track Red XY

Default Caltex Premium Diesel

Just noticed that Caltex and also BP are offering premium diesel at the bowser.
Is this just another attempt at draining our wallets or is it really liquid gold, as the price would suggest?
Apart from a claimed injector cleaner additive in it, I'm yet to find a definitive answer as to why my ute would benefit.
Anyone used it or have any further info?

WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I haven't seen premium diesel yet.
I'd give it a shot to see if it improves economy, what was the price difference to regular diesel ?
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLF
Just noticed that Caltex and also BP are offering premium diesel at the bowser.
Is this just another attempt at draining our wallets or is it really liquid gold, as the price would suggest?
Apart from a claimed injector cleaner additive in it, I'm yet to find a definitive answer as to why my ute would benefit.
Anyone used it or have any further info?
Yep. Near me all diesel is now marketed as premium. After the last regulation changes 10ppm sulphur level was considered the "best" grade of diesel and also allowed for more European tdi's to start selling here. My local Caltex only sell's Vortex diesel and it's where I've probaly sourced 85% of my fuel, moreso because it's 2 mins from home. In 3.5 years I can't say I've noticed any difference in economy. Biggest difference though with 10ppm Sulphur diesel is the lack of typical smell from the exhaust and lower black soot, which is also aided by the vans diesel particulate filter. So I'd day premium refers to the lower sulphur content type.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just heard an add on the radio about that..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Yep. Near me all diesel is now marketed as premium. After the last regulation changes 10ppm sulphur level was considered the "best" grade of diesel and also allowed for more European tdi's to start selling here. My local Caltex only sell's Vortex diesel and it's where I've probaly sourced 85% of my fuel, moreso because it's 2 mins from home. In 3.5 years I can't say I've noticed any difference in economy. Biggest difference though with 10ppm Sulphur diesel is the lack of typical smell from the exhaust and lower black soot, which is also aided by the vans diesel particulate filter. So I'd day premium refers to the lower sulphur content type.
Your reference to Sulphur content is spot on. At one stage I believe it was up at around 250ppm!

I was wondering when I would be seeing "Premium Diesel" as it has been found all over Europe for years.

This is a Caltex Bowser in Cologne shot 3/7/2006 (Was there during World Cup).

Even the super diesel is 10c cheaper than regular unleaded!

Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Even the super diesel is 10c cheaper than regular unleaded!
Australia is probably one of the few countries, if not the only one, where diesel is more expensive than unleaded.
Personally, I've been to Europe, the US and NZ and it was all cheaper over there. In NZ, diesel is cheaper by about 50c/L, but they do have a different "tax" on diesel cars where you have to basically purchase kilometres driven on top of your normal rego.

I've seen the premium diesel at BP's around the place that we frequent. I think that they are just marketing the low sulphur ones as the premium diesel as there is only one type of diesel bowsers at the BP's I've been to.
Old 13-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Premium diesel also has a slightly higher Centane value, similar to petrol's octane rating,
so you di get fractionally more bang for your bucks, always use the best fuel possible.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I think it doesn't foam up as much as well when you go to fill your tank, that really annoys me when filling my Focus.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post