Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 21-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Tints

I'd planned to get the windows tinted on my new wagon but after driving it for a few days am having second thoughts. The standard greenish tint seems to block the heat quite well, and it's certainly much easier to see out the front windows as it gets dark, and especially the rear window when reversing.

What sort of experiences have you had with tints on the Mondeo? Are there any specific films that you would (or wouldn't) recommend?

Old 23-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

I know the old man has left his standard bluish tint on the XR5. However, if you were to put darkest legal on top of it, it may be too dark. I'd say go with a lighter tint and that way it should be fine

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks, I think the blue tint on the XR5 is a special heat rejection treatment.

Just had the car tinted with a Huper Optik ceramic film (40%). Not a cheap option at $450 but it's very clear to look through and really takes out the heat. Apparently the tint on my previous Mondeo wagon was darker than is legal in NZ (35%) as they hadn't allowed for the standard tint! Might also explain why it was dark to look through.
Old 23-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
scribbly

I went as dark as possible on my vehicle. The upside is the dimming of the really bright headlights at night (in the rearvision mirror) and of course the cooler vehicle to overcome the crappy aircon just blowing into the front seats.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Tint on rear would be nice...just to get rid of those daylight time headlights and DRLs, which my snazzy automagical rear vision mirror doesn't seem to recognise.
Night time is fine.

Drive : MB XR5T with not quite auto enough internal rear view mirror.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scribbly, it's all very technical but apparently the important number is TSER (Total Solar Energy Rejection) and the darkness of the tint is not the best measure of this.

I've just been for a drive at night and the ceramic tint is certainly much easier to see through. I'm yet to see how it performs when the sun is high.

The aircon in my new wagon is much better than the old one - I've actually felt cold a couple of times, and that was before the tint was applied.
Old 24-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
ajay1940

I'd be interested to know if they've improved the aircon. This would influence my upgrade choice. The MA air is barely adequate for Aussie summers.
ajay1940 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay1940
I'd be interested to know if they've improved the aircon. This would influence my upgrade choice. The MA air is barely adequate for Aussie summers.
The early MA Mondeos had poor quality condensers which would often leak or suffer stone damage and fail. The aircon performance could be improved by a recharge, but of course the basic problem was the crappy condenser.

The new wagon is definitely better than my old 07 build Mondeo but I doubt that Ford would ever admit to any mods. I don't know if the MC has a different aircon; all I can say is that a late model MB is better than an early MA.
Old 28-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

And the MB still has crappy aircon...

Have to tint our XR5.. its just too hot in QLD.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post