Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Cool M3 Goes back to 6 cyl ...

But it's a Turbo ...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...cb2345a148b4af

This is the sports car that every driver has been waiting for – the new BMW M3.

Sam Hardy

The model has consistently set the performance coupé benchmark, and this latest version will raise the bar further with its more efficient 3.0-litre turbocharged straight-six engine. Replacing the much-loved 4.0-litre V8, it will be the first turbo to grace the M3. This will help to improve overall fuel consumption and reduce emissions, even on high-performance BMWs.

Even so, the engine will pack a serious punch, delivering around 450bhp. It is likely to be a development of the unit used by the 1-Series M Coupé, but with approximately another 100bhp, it should be able to push the car from 0-62mph in 4.5 seconds and on to an electronically limited top speed of 155mph.

The engine is mated to a choice of six-speed manual or twin-clutch paddleshift gearboxes. The car gets the latest M Sport active diff, too, and will be better to drive than the previous M3, as well as faster, lighter – thanks to composite materials – and more efficient. It will also be a real head-turner. As with the current car, the coupé will get sleek bodywork with unique panels. These will give it a longer, sportier profile, complemented by a more rakish windscreen.

Think of the car as a downsized version of the new 6-Series and you’ll get the idea. The M3 will add a muscular bodykit, low front splitter and air intakes. In addition to the Coupé we have illustrated here, there will be a drop-top Convertible.

However, this time there won’t be an M3 saloon option – the four-door has been relatively unpopular, so BMW is likely to drop it from the range. Expect to see the new M3 in 2012.

Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Interesting, BMW can't seem to make up there mind and Merc just keep out doing them

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good! The v8 was silly to have in a 3 series, too big and heavy.

I don't think merc are out doing them though, BMW has always been more of a drivers car.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEaaron
Good! The v8 was silly to have in a 3 series, too big and heavy.

I don't think merc are out doing them though, BMW has always been more of a drivers car.
The V8 was 15kg lighter than the straight 6 it replaced in the E46.

My bet is the new engine package (3.0 straight 6 turbo) will be heavier but the car itself will be lighter overall due to the above stated (in post 1) new composite materials being used.
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting... I loved the E46. That was so much fun. I much prefer the high-revving 6 that had in it compared to the V8. But still, the V8 is a solid drive. Meh... M3 brand has been tainited by a certain type of person in Sydney of late.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BMW was always again't forced induction, but now with DI, the company seems to have come around. I would prefer a DI turbo 6 over an NA V8 too. Hmmm EcoBoost anyone? Hyundai is doing it too with the new Sonata/i45.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

M5 is going twin turbo V8 as well.

The T6 in the M3 will be an interesting event in the M3 V8 vs 335i T6 war that has been running for several years.

Can you imagine if FPV hade made the new GT a T6 instead of SCV8?
BOOM would be an understatement......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
BMW was always again't forced induction, but now with DI, the company seems to have come around. I would prefer a DI turbo 6 over an NA V8 too. Hmmm EcoBoost anyone? Hyundai is doing it too with the new Sonata/i45.
They were against FWD as well but that's changed.
Old 24-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
They were against FWD as well but that's changed.
Since when?

Old 24-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEaaron
Since when?
They're developing a small car that will be FWD.
Old 24-12-2010, 05:15 PM   #11
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Well there goes the chassis dynamics .. mind you Mazda's MPS has it pretty well sorted
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #12
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The m5 is being dropped from v10 to v8 again.

The 1m is a 3l straight 6tt. And now the m3 will be the same? The next 1m will be a 4cylider since they all get smaller.

I am a massive BMW fan. But their fwd is a major dissapointment. Along with the x6. BMW is losing it!
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
The m5 is being dropped from v10 to v8 again.

The 1m is a 3l straight 6tt. And now the m3 will be the same? The next 1m will be a 4cylider since they all get smaller.

I am a massive BMW fan. But their fwd is a major dissapointment. Along with the x6. BMW is losing it!
I suspect that they are building cars for a market in which they currently have little representation. It does not mean they are dropping RWD.

After all, most Holden and Ford models sold in Australia are FWD and have been so for decades.
Only Falcon and Commodore are RWD, well apart from trucks etc.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #14
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKPHN
Interesting, BMW can't seem to make up there mind and Merc just keep out doing them
Hear, hear!
Old 24-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Audi seems to be making some great car and they are definitely FWD biased AWDs,
maybe BMW is testing the water to see what can and can't be done with FWD vehicles...

Excellent move with T6 in 3 series, I'm glad to see BMW is keeping the I-6 turbo - it's a good image.
I always felt the V8 was overkill for the American (gotta have a V8) market, only Jag & Merc do V8s right IMO...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #16
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

" Interesting, BMW can't seem to make up there mind and Merc just keep out doing them ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Hear, hear!
I'm with you two on this one .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 06:24 PM   #17
Danny
GT4.

I for one am happy Bimmer are going back to a 6cyl M3. With such a rich history of M3 sixes that were forever seen as the benchmark in I6 technology (and therefore giving affirmation to Ford's decision to stick with I6's), it didn't seem right that BMW went the V8 In what essentially is or was their medium sized sports offering. I felt that in the transition from E46 to E90 that the M3 lost it's character, even if the V8 sounded lovely, I missed that metallic raspy, loose muffler zing of the E36/E46.

That said, I totally agree with Trippytaka, I was partial to the 135i coupe, however living in Melbounres east we are bombarded with every second roided up, solarium/gym junkie gold chain wearing, oversized Dolce Gabbana sunnie wearing heroes who buy Beemers just to show the world that they have money. Not a look I was after, hence the purchase of the Golf R.

He who said merc have it all ove BMW I disagree though. At least Beemer still develop individual engines for their M cars, unlike AMG. Who seem to fit the 6.3 V8 into anything it will fit into nowadays. What ever happened to having wonderful cars like the E55, the C32, C43, or the SL65?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 06:24 PM   #18
WMD351
Size it up

Am I the only one here thinking about the potential of a 130 i6T?
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #19
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD351
Am I the only one here thinking about the potential of a 130 i6T?
Hang on though do you mean a hatch version of the 3.0l six with a turbo? (which they never did)? Or a 1 series with a turbo six? Otherwise the 135i coupe is the 1 series with a I6T. The 130i was the now discontinued top of the range 1 series hatch and it was NA.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #20
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

I hope that the next 1 series is a turbo 4 cylinder. At least that way the looks/packaging could be better balanced.

Turbo 6 cylinder M3 I can understand (noise & ehaust emissions). It may kill packaging, balance a bit. Here is hoping that the new model is lighter. 1800kg C class cars from BMW/Merc is not clever. Audi seem to flip flop a lot with what they put in their RS4. The future of a lot of Euro cars looks to be turbo (& auto).

Future small BMWs to be FWD? Makes sense with the Mini rather than teaming up with Peugeot & Chrysler (née Mercedes) as they have done in the past. Mercedes are fwd for their A & C class, anything else is rwd/awd.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #21
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

everyone knows the best m3 was the 4 cylinder sport evo III!

i think BMWs market has changed in the last 20 years to USA and China, and is producing different cars to its heyday in the 1980s/early 90s.
Old 24-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #22
WMD351
Size it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
The 130i was the now discontinued top of the range 1 series hatch and it was NA.
Awww, didn't know they dropped them.
A mate had one, very very nice little thing.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #23
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
They're developing a small car that will be FWD.
They have been making a FWD since 2002, its called Mini.

The reason for their shift to FWD in small cars, and small cars only is because of interior space. The trans tunnel required in a small car takes up too much space and limits clever space usage. Not silly at all as most buyers of small cars could not care if it is FWD or RWD. BMW buyers that want a small car often have a 3 or 5 series parked next to it. They have to cater to the bulk of the European market and that market does not demand large RWD cars, that market desires smaller cars with clever space usage.
Old 25-12-2010, 12:14 AM   #24
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 1 series hatch RWD is cool because it's different to all other small hatches.

I think BMW will be alright if they keep the 1 series available in RWD, but have a FWD for people who don't care about driving.

I'd love a 1 series couple I6 Twin turbo.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 01:31 AM   #25
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
The 1 series hatch RWD is cool because it's different to all other small hatches.

I think BMW will be alright if they keep the 1 series available in RWD, but have a FWD for people who don't care about driving.

I'd love a 1 series couple I6 Twin turbo.
To be honest I don't like how the 135i can outpace an M3, I would kind of like to see the 1 series be a FWD model whilst the rest remained RWD

Old 25-12-2010, 09:16 AM   #26
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Agreed +1
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #27
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
BMW was always again't forced induction.
Actually, BMW have used turbos in the past

'73 BMW 2002 Turbo

M12 1500 cc 4-cylinder turbocharged Formula One motor, capable of
1,300 hp

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #28
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
When it comes to 6s and V8s BMW have always had it over MB, and most other manufacturers out there. Dunno about this AMG 6.3 myself but if it is as good as people say, then I'd hardly call it 'out doing' BMW simply for one engine.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #29
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Remember that AMG's 6.3 N/A V8 is being replaced with a 5.5 TT V8.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #30
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The N/A performance engines will be a thing of the past very soon. Big displacement needed to keep up with the current crop of forced induction engines will simply not be able to meet emission laws.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post