Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The prices we pay

Just looking at Toyota Australias web page, and it has a small section on exports.

Quote:
The 2009 export figure of 63,345 units worth $1.3 billion is evidence that we have come a long way since our first exports in 1986. In that year we exported a small shipment of Coronas to New Zealand.

$1,300,000 divided by 63345 units comes to $20552 per unit.. if the local manufacturers were able to offer Australians cars at these prices (plus ORC), then they might be able to increase production. Somehow I think we all get taken for suckers.

bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 11:25 PM   #2
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Just looking at Toyota Australias web page, and it has a small section on exports.

$1,300,000 divided by 63345 units comes to $20552 per unit.. if the local manufacturers were able to offer Australians cars at these prices (plus ORC), then they might be able to increase production. Somehow I think we all get taken for suckers.
except your quote says 1.3 billion, not 1.3 million...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

And the point of this thread is....? Apart from bad mathematics I am not sure what point is being made...
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the point is..we are being ripped off as usual!!! Holden exports the SS to yank land and sells it for $30kus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we pay $55k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 15-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I wonder if that has anytthing to do with local taxes paid as well as tariff offsets?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think if you look at the historical prices of a four door sedan, you'll find that they have remained relatively similar to average yearly wages.
Old 15-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
i think if you look at the historical prices of a four door sedan, you'll find that they have remained relatively similar to average yearly wages.
As a matter of fact, they get better every year. A brand new falcon base model these days is about $40k, with an average wage being about $58k, (69% of a years wage). Back in about 1996 a brand new base model falcon was about $30k which was very close to the average yearly wage of about $39k, or 77%. So cars actually get cheaper every year. It's running the bastards that gets exponentially more expensive with stupid costs for a litre of petrol and state govts hiking rego costs for no good reason.
Old 15-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda

$20,552.00
+DELIVERY
+DEALER MARK-UP
=$26,000ISH
+gst
=28,600 or just about the rrp of a bare bones Camry.

Maybe an innovative car manufacturer could offer online payment/factory gate pick up at a discounted price. That would scare the shiz out of dealers.
Old 15-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
$20,552.00
Maybe an innovative car manufacturer could offer online payment/factory gate pick up at a discounted price. That would scare the shiz out of dealers.
I always wished we could buy new Falcons for a massive cutdown price with no warranties, or better still in partially assembled format like something from IKEA for the DIY'ers out there.
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
I always wished we could buy new Falcons for a massive cutdown price with no warranties, or better still in partially assembled format like something from IKEA for the DIY'ers out there.
You will be able to next year when Car of the Future comes in at the V8 Supercars. I heard IKEA were going to be one of the suppliers..........
Old 15-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You can.

They will supply you any config you like for racing etc.

It just won't have a compliance plate.
Old 15-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
As a matter of fact, they get better every year. A brand new falcon base model these days is about $40k, with an average wage being about $58k, (69% of a years wage). Back in about 1996 a brand new base model falcon was about $30k which was very close to the average yearly wage of about $39k, or 77%. So cars actually get cheaper every year. It's running the bastards that gets exponentially more expensive with stupid costs for a litre of petrol and state govts hiking rego costs for no good reason.
don't get too carried away with the 'average wage' statistic!! all it means is the fat cats are getting richer and dragging the average up with them.

also, the maths are fine in the OP. he's just made a typo.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #13
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You can.

They will supply you any config you like for racing etc.

It just won't have a compliance plate.
Really, from the dealer or direct from Ford?
Old 15-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Really, from the dealer or direct from Ford?
Probably direct from Ford/FPV via an appointed dealer.

But you will NEVER be able to register one EVER and will have to sign all sorts of legal documents.
This is where a lot of the production racing vehicles come from.
Old 15-12-2010, 05:55 PM   #15
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guy I worked with years ago bought a brand new car from at a wholesale price. Saved him self $$$$$. But no warranty. Engine cooked itself 2 weeks after he got it. So it ended up costing him more than if he had bought from a dealer. Warranty is a good thing.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #16
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Probably direct from Ford/FPV via an appointed dealer.

But you will NEVER be able to register one EVER and will have to sign all sorts of legal documents.
This is where a lot of the production racing vehicles come from.
once upon a time it was possible to buy shells from factory and register them. there is a guy here in s.a at lonsdale called limoscene (also falcon spares and repairs). obviously he'd buy the shells, cut them and stretch them turning them into limos, however every now and then he'd buy written off vehicles or wrecks, and then get a shell from factory and rebuild the car. i think it was customer order only and mainly word of mouth got the sales. its not like he was building them and had a car yard. most times he'd build them to factory spec, but sometimes he'd add extra luxuries or just use whatever he had lying around. my folks got a ef futura wagon built. no warranty, but any issues you had he was happy to sort them out. not much he doesn't know about fords.

that has all changed now. up until recently he still rebuilt wrecks if they weren't too bad. he has a fg xr6 personal car that he picked up and rebuilt the front end. had to get new panels as there weren't any available. i'm not sure if he still does it now as even the laws regarding rebuilding wrecks have changed.

he could build them saving you a fair bit of coin and they're very well built.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #17
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RRP is certainly a rip off. A family member recently purchased a SV6 Commodore direct ( thru an employee) for $29K + ORC. I think that's what we public should be paying for today's vehicles, considering how fast they depreciate.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2010, 11:30 PM   #18
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
RRP is certainly a rip off. A family member recently purchased a SV6 Commodore direct ( thru an employee) for $29K + ORC. I think that's what we public should be paying for today's vehicles, considering how fast they depreciate.

Holden do offer some pretty decent discounts to employees (and family members). Not sure what they offer now, but afew years back some of the cars were being offered at up to 30% off dealer prices.

Speaking of cheap cars, I went to Government auction today and was very suprised at the lack of desire for anyone to buy a prius. Barely 3 years old, with very little K's on them, and often the auctioneer was passing them in at around $13500 (he would often start bids at $15000 and work backwards to get a bite). There must be a perception with them (seen sign up in rooms saying toyota now guarantee batteries for 8 years). Was very suprised at how cheap they could go for (altho dont know if someone made a bid a $13000, then it still may not reach reserve). Is this the norm with prius's??

Oh and thanks Prydey, yes it was a simple typo.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 12:00 AM   #19
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool screwed over

Like CS says we sell Holden/Pontiacs to the yanks at half the cost
they are here
cast your mind back to 1989 when a Ford Capri cost $16000
at your Ford dealer
and sold for $14000 to the good ol boys in the US thats after after a left hand drive conversion and freight to the the dealers in the USA
so we have been ripped off for years
I know about exchange rates and so on
but it still stinks
at that rate back then I should have been able to buy a new
Capri for about $10000 not $16000
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 01:02 AM   #20
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How dare car companies make profits, let alone dealers making profit on the dealer nett price they pay for the car, its not like they are only running on a 1-to-2% margin after all costs are taken out

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 01:53 AM   #21
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

In 1995, an XT Falcon was roughly $32,000 + ORC, an XR6 was around $38,000 and an XR8 Approx $50,000.
Anyone who thinks today's Falcons are overpriced compared to 15 years ago is kidding themselves.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 03:19 AM   #22
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
In 1995, an XT Falcon was roughly $32,000 + ORC, an XR6 was around $38,000 and an XR8 Approx $50,000.
Anyone who thinks today's Falcons are overpriced compared to 15 years ago is kidding themselves.
agreed, its not like the cost of labour,materials,insurance,etc, etc, has`nt gone up, its all relative.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 03:53 AM   #23
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by last fairlane
Like CS says we sell Holden/Pontiacs to the yanks at half the cost
they are here
cast your mind back to 1989 when a Ford Capri cost $16000
at your Ford dealer
and sold for $14000 to the good ol boys in the US thats after after a left hand drive conversion and freight to the the dealers in the USA
so we have been ripped off for years
I know about exchange rates and so on
but it still stinks
at that rate back then I should have been able to buy a new
Capri for about $10000 not $16000
thanks John
You think that's bad?
Pick any Euro or Japanese luxury marque,
bet the difference between here and the
USA knocks your socks off.

One Example:

Lexus RX
Australia: $75-90K but over in the USA: $35K
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #24
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Linux cars eh? most are windows, a few are macs
Old 16-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #25
leadfoot

Smile

Quote:
Here you go!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us