Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
dave289
Banned

Question Will HSV lose customers over new coyote ?

Was just thinking that with the awsome new coyote engine, not to mention the prices compared with hsv , and also the easy tunability of these cars , do you think hsv will loose many customers over this ? I know hsv have outsold fpv every single year since they started (and yes I know hsv dont always make a profit ) , but was thinking next year fpv will hopefully outsell hsv for the first time, do you guys think this will be the case ?

Would also like to say well done fpv , has been a long time coming, but better late than never , right ...

dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
EF
Formerly gt.4.me

i think that the people that buy HSV will stick with HSV just because they like them :( (they are sooo ugly) but the new FPV range will bring some new buyers to FPV. and with the prices being so much lower on the FPV and the build quality being soo good i dont see why FPV cant out sell HSV. ;D GOO FPV
EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
buggo
[BU66OS]

While I think some 'on the fence' buyers will be swayed by the Ford's better value, engine, and looks, I don't think they will beat HSV in sales. Most people who buy these cars are red or blue. It wouldn't matter if the next GTS was quicker than a Ferrari and cheaper than an XR6, I probably wouldn't buy it, as shallow as that sounds.
So while the FPV 8's are atleast equal to the LS cars, it won't bring over many people from holden. In my opinion atleast.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I don't think they will lose customers, but are certainly going to find it tough to win new customers over the next 2 years.
Old 17-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Long way to go before outselling HSV but like the swinging voter FPV have at least a far better chance now picking up a few or more of those fence sitters and ofcourse pick up new customers venturing into the aussie V8 market for a taste.
You'll never change the diehard red or blue supporter average machinery or not !
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
Scott

I think it will sway a few.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
Chopped
as in chopped

I think it will definitely bring new customers to FPV.

I think another 6-12 months of constant good reviews and comparo wins will help change the perception of FPV from "pretty close" to "clear leader".
Old 17-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

could hope that the coyote will sway a few but as posted above it is hard to sway the holden guys to buy a ford

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
could hope that the coyote will sway a few but as posted above it is hard to sway the holden guys to buy a ford
And vice versa... Ford die-hards are just as bad!

The battle will continue, and a handful of prospective buyers will cross the floor, but otherwise it'll be business as usual. Were I in the market, I know which one I'd pick, if I could live with the stupid daytime running lights.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
glavas

well how many fpv buyers went to hsv over the last few yeras? a few maybe but not many. so i think a few will go to fpv but most will stay at hsv. i think fpv sales might go up around 3-4%. people who bought the f6 may now buy the gt. only time will tell.

and can you stop saying coyote. thats the stock crate engine. i belive fpv are calling it miami.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #11
glavas

double post sorry. delete me.
Old 17-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

My Unbiased opinion is that in the real world it doesnt matter about the new product, HSV have established a brand regardless if you like it or not, its a known Brand, where FPV I still think is "Just a Ford with some extras" the brand is what sells the cars not the looks or the badging, I cant see a huge increase in sales numbers at all for FPV, if anything with interest rates and the like I would predict a small decrease in sales for both manufacturers..

(Please note although I have a Holden name, I in NO way currently or recently own any Product from either Holden or Ford)

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #13
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
well how many fpv buyers went to hsv over the last few yeras? a few maybe but not many. so i think a few will go to fpv but most will stay at hsv. i think fpv sales might go up around 3-4%. people who bought the f6 may now buy the gt. only time will tell.

and can you stop saying coyote. thatsx the stock crate engine. i belive fpv are calling it miami.
Its coyote thats written all through the mags and press, I saw a thread yesterday using the word miami, and was going to post not to use the word miami, its sounds gay for a start compered to coyote . I think we should be calling it a boss 335 ,as that it waht it says on the engine , and what fpv call it is what it should be. As for 3-4 percent , I think your dreaming, it will be far greater than that .
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #14
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
And vice versa... Ford die-hards are just as bad!

The battle will continue, and a handful of prospective buyers will cross the floor, but otherwise it'll be business as usual. Were I in the market, I know which one I'd pick, if I could live with the stupid daytime running lights.
same but it is a long time off for me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt.4.me
i think that the people that buy HSV will stick with HSV just because they like them :( (they are sooo ugly) but the new FPV range will bring some new buyers to FPV. and with the prices being so much lower on the FPV and the build quality being soo good i dont see why FPV cant out sell HSV. ;D GOO FPV
HSV have been around since 1988, FPV since 2002-3, lets not get technical because outside of this forum very little people would realise its a rebirthed Tickford. 15 years is a long time to build customers, and with some of the cars they have built over time firmed up these customers into one-eyed loyal customers. HSV won't take a noticable hit immediately but give it 2-3 years we should be seeing a noticable swing if all keeps going well with this new V8. But IMO FPV will never beat HSV for sales. How many current FPV owners will upgrade as well is another question?
Old 17-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #16
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I think FPV will have to work very hard to get anywhere near HSV.. HSV push out more cars and have a greater following then FPV, as long as FPV keep building upon their brands, F6 and GT they will be okay but HSV have been doing it for much longer.

The other issue is the amount of people who have bought FPV's over the last 7 years and vowed never to buy them again, for silly issues relating to customer service etc. FPV need to make sure they control the CRC for their product and make sure they do a good job of it, its cheaper and easier to retain customers on future purchases then get new ones.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #17
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All I think it will do is make current FPV owners trade up the new one, I think FPV needs to work on their overall package before a meaningful amount of HSV owners will cross the floor.

Although a lot of Holden people dont like the E3 look, so maybe its enough to get them to consider the FPV...

Last edited by Brazen; 17-11-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #18
GTP-814
love the quad cams

My 2corst thsi that they may sway some buyers who cant afford their european cars & will down spend to a FPV because of performance
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #19
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I don't see HSV losing any customers really.
FPV may gain a few due to some holding off for the new engine but I can't see them gaining too many.
Old 17-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #20
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
Was just thinking that with the awsome new coyote engine, not to mention the prices compared with hsv , and also the easy tunability of these cars , do you think hsv will loose many customers over this ? I know hsv have outsold fpv every single year since they started (and yes I know hsv dont always make a profit ) , but was thinking next year fpv will hopefully outsell hsv for the first time, do you guys think this will be the case ?

Would also like to say well done fpv , has been a long time coming, but better late than never , right ...
Would you change football teams if the opposition had some better players than your team??

I think that the Coyote will bring more buyers to FPV - but not necessarily sway them from HSV...

Sure there may be a couple of non-brand biased buyers out there that may swing both ways...

But I think the main part of the increase in FPV sales will be from new performance car buyers, or possibly euro converters... ???

Wait and See...
Old 17-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #21
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
I think FPV will have to work very hard to get anywhere near HSV.. HSV push out more cars and have a greater following then FPV, as long as FPV keep building upon their brands, F6 and GT they will be okay but HSV have been doing it for much longer.

The other issue is the amount of people who have bought FPV's over the last 7 years and vowed never to buy them again, for silly issues relating to customer service etc. FPV need to make sure they control the CRC for their product and make sure they do a good job of it, its cheaper and easier to retain customers on future purchases then get new ones.
The above is a very important point re the brand building......
Due to their marketing budget restraints etc compared to their opposition this is the area they need to re invigorate and gain back joe public consumer confidence.
Your point above re the CRC is damn important - you only have to look at some threads regarding this and here is only the tip of the iceberg.....

Heres a typical storey I experience/see within my industry.....
Good X brand falls down due to slow supply - not keeping up to date with leading brand in range - minimal distribution - average customer service etc.....
How can they again regain market share ? they have to earn it big time especially if they cannot afford to do this by price alone.
Service Service Service - you have to give before you can take back.Now don't come back and say I can tell you stories about HSV lack of service case's - ofcourse there is but they can afford some leakage due to their market share but in general they have it well oiled.
FPV and their dealers need to go the extra yards full stop, they finally have their range on the up and the future looks bright but if service levels don't support at ground level whats the point of spending $40mil......
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #22
burnz
VFII SS UTE

did ford cancel it's roadside assist a while ago??
or have they reistated it..if so for how long is it.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #23
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217
The above is a very important point re the brand building......
Due to their marketing budget restraints etc compared to their opposition this is the area they need to re invigorate and gain back joe public consumer confidence.
Your point above re the CRC is damn important - you only have to look at some threads regarding this and here is only the tip of the iceberg.....

Heres a typical storey I experience/see within my industry.....
Good X brand falls down due to slow supply - not keeping up to date with leading brand in range - minimal distribution - average customer service etc.....
How can they again regain market share ? they have to earn it big time especially if they cannot afford to do this by price alone.
Service Service Service - you have to give before you can take back.Now don't come back and say I can tell you stories about HSV lack of service case's - ofcourse there is but they can afford some leakage due to their market share but in general they have it well oiled.
FPV and their dealers need to go the extra yards full stop, they finally have their range on the up and the future looks bright but if service levels don't support at ground level whats the point of spending $40mil......
Well its one way they can enhance their product with minimal cost. They have the infrastructure there but they really need to get guys on the ground and out to dealers to see whats really going on..

The GT-E could be really successful if they marketed it properly and chucked GPS in standard.. Its a very capable car in comparison to the euro scene, while its missing some of the gadgets for the money its a top car, as is the F6E.. Do we ever see FPV advertising these 2 cars in the likes of BRW??

Then theres issue of stock, FPV never have enough stock on the ground, yes they have been cautious through the GFC but at the end of the day if you dont have stock on hand how do you expect to sell, they are only building 4 GT-E's this year ive been told, 4 of which will probably be gobbled up by dealer principles, doesn't leave much for the general public. They didnt even have a GT-E at the Sydney motorshow, which I thought was a disaster for them. When you have guys coming there looking at C63's and HSV Senators you need one of these on display...

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 17-11-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 17-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
did ford cancel it's roadside assist a while ago??
or have they reistated it..if so for how long is it.
12 months they give you now with the car new, then you get another 12 months every year you service it with them.. But that promo may end soon.
Old 17-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #25
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, HSV fans will be talking about how an upcoming LS90 9L V8, with be bigger and faster, and it is best to wait for it, rather than buy a 5L V8 Ford.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #26
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
No, HSV fans will be talking about how an upcoming LS90 9L V8, with be bigger and faster, and it is best to wait for it, rather than buy a 5L V8 Ford.

id take a 9l over a 5l anyday.
Old 17-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #27
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I think sales will continue as normal for both side. Most will either be red or blue and nothing will change that. There may be some Biggest KW hunters that will come on over to the blue corner but a whole bunch have already been lost. I dont think the GS will win any new customers as the overall package sucks. Only enthusiasts who know its potential will take the GS or XR owners looking to upgrade.I think the GT has the best chance to snag some customers from HSV but I still think new comers to the market are going to look at HSV first because their marketing is so much better. Where is the GT and GS advertising? The other thing letting the blue team down is all the magazine reviews. We know its all bull but average Joes doesn't. They mostly have HSV in front and the ones that dont, give it to FPV with a "but" and a HSV send off.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #28
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I think that there is maybe 10% of the HSV/FPV/Performance car buyers out there that will swing.

The problem FPV face is the F in their name. Not because of the product, not because of the design or engineering, but because of the stigma and service.

I know FTe fell flat on its face BUT the product wasn't up to scratch either, not until it was to late anyway. Are there any FPV only dealers?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #29
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I dont see the GS swinging buyers over, but the GT I could see it happening.
Old 17-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #30
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I personally think it will take sales away from HSV because not everyone who buys an HSV is a die hard or even one of the cognicienti . Just look at any touring car race ten years ago all you could see was a sea of red as all the sheep and wanna be's simply support whoever is winning at the moment . But like so many other things in life you cant feed strawberries to pigs so HSV will retain a fair amount of their customed base .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post