Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Going too far?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...01/2999039.htm

Quote:
Driver clocked at 117kph over speed limit

Posted 2 hours 2 minutes ago

A 31-year-old Melbourne man faces several charges after he was allegedly clocked driving at 117 kilometres per hour over the speed limit.

Police say the Delahey man was doing 197kph in an 80kph zone on the Calder Highway in Keilor on Monday night.

The charges include conduct endangering life and driving while suspended.

His car was also impounded for 48 hours.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
driving while suspended.
Not much we can do when people do the wrong thing time and again.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
Not much we can do when people do the wrong thing time and again.
in this case jail time might be needed. i know its not really going to deter (spelling?) people in the future but it really is a fitting punishment

Last edited by BOSHOG; 01-09-2010 at 12:51 PM.
BOSHOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
Scott

Poor bugger probably thought he was rightly doing 97 in a 100 zone.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Poor bugger probably thought he was rightly doing 97 in a 100 zone.
Except he was doing 197...!!

Old 01-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Except he was doing 197...!!
97kph or 197kph, it's so hard to tell for some people
Old 01-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or maybe he just didn't care or thought the law did not apply to him.

After all, everyone on here never break or ignore laws like..... emissions....ADRs....engineering....let alone the unfathomable maze that is known as the "Traffic Act".

P.S. 4V...... Ho, ho, ho, merry pinnacle.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

After all, everyone on here never break or ignore laws like..... emissions....ADRs....engineering....let alone the unfathomable maze that is known as the "Traffic Act".
flappist, stop making sense on a public internet forum, youre wrecking it for the rest of us lol
Old 01-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

emmisions or 100 km OVER the limit? HHMM!!! I know whickh one would most likely kill myself or others 1st!
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
barra265t
Banned

That road was originally 100km/h zone with 2 lanes (divided highway). In '07 they resurfaced the road and added another lane in each direction. Its a pretty much dead straight with about 2 km visibility. Then they dropped the limit to 80km/h. Further up the calder, its 110km/h and the road is 2 lane in both directions. After living here for more than 15 years there has not been one fatality on that stretch of road that I've heard of.
barra265t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

The calder is a shocker as for as planning goes, tightwads dont want to spend a cent. Should be alot more over passes than there is.

Its that bad that i know go the back way to Geelong and not along the Calder and M1.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #12
4dlvr
4dlvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra265t
That road was originally 100km/h zone with 2 lanes (divided highway). In '07 they resurfaced the road and added another lane in each direction. Its a pretty much dead straight with about 2 km visibility. Then they dropped the limit to 80km/h. Further up the calder, its 110km/h and the road is 2 lane in both directions. After living here for more than 15 years there has not been one fatality on that stretch of road that I've heard of.
i dont understand what your saying???

are you trying to justify this idiot doing 197km/h or 117kph over speed limit on a public road???
4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dlvr

are you trying to justify this idiot doing 197km/h or 117kph over speed limit on a public road???
I don't think anyone could justify going 117kph over the limit, I thing the arguement is the road should be posted 110 not 80.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #14
barra265t
Banned

Quote:

Not justifying anything, what he did was wrong, but in perspective at that time/place/speed he would have been most likely endangering his own life. If that speed was down a suburban street with intersections, etc, he should've been hung, drawn and quartered.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #15
4dlvr
4dlvr

thank you, nicely said
4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #16
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Another Statistic added to the HOON driver list

Does't matter if they have a licence or not - as long as they can get those HOON stats up so they can add more cameras and add harsher penalities - oh did i say penalties - i meant fines - cash cash cash for the Government

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #17
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
and

Quote:

I go along there every day.

Firstly, 197kph, the guy wasnt hooning, he was a plain idiot.

Secondly, there are intersections all along that road that make it seemingly dangerous at 100kph, but not at 80.

Thirdly, its not the intersections that make it dangerous, its the many drivers who pull out from either side roads or u-turn accessways without any regard for the traffic travelling along the highway. They just pull out regardless of whats coming.

I know at the Organpipes Rd. intersection, there are "no right turn" signs. But every morning at 6.15am, there is a queue of cars doing right hand turns there waiting to join the hwy.

I have come across serious accidents along that road, whether it was 100kph or 80kph, it doesnt matter. Not sure about deaths however.

The 80kph limit along there is meaningless, you get run over by other vehicles even if you stay in the left lane.

The government is not spending a cent on that road. My suggestion is to close off about 3/4 of the entry/exit ways along there, put roundabouts at the rest and return it to 100kph, similar to what they did with Mooroduc Hwy past Frankston,and will make it much safer.

Or better still, put in overpasses at the few intersections that really need to be there (should really have been provisioned and paid for by the land developers years ago). But the gov't wont spend a cent.....
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #18
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse
97kph or 197kph, it's so hard to tell for some people
Correct, afterall it is only one digit.... how bad could it really be?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #19
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know this road well and take it everyday, there are far more dangerous roads in melbourne that are posted at 100 km/h, yet this one is posted at 80 for some reason, utter stupidity especially when it used be 100km/h when it was in worse condition and it's a gateway to several suburbs. Really frustrating. What's even worse is that whilst a part of the road outbound is 80, the opposite side of the road (inbound) is a 100. Anyway that's the end of my whinge, couldn't help myself.

Either way though 197 km/h IS going too far.
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #20
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
Another Statistic added to the HOON driver list

Does't matter if they have a licence or not - as long as they can get those HOON stats up so they can add more cameras and add harsher penalities - oh did i say penalties - i meant fines - cash cash cash for the Government
What???
Old 01-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #21
XlR8TED

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

After all, everyone on here never break or ignore laws like..... emissions....ADRs....engineering....let alone the unfathomable maze that is known as the "Traffic Act"
You need to compare apples with apples.

That much over the speed limit is obviously a very real danger to other people. The things you have mentioned are not so much.

It's like trying to justify a murder by saying "but I bet you blokes have probably flattended someone before!"
XlR8TED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #22
barra265t
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
and

I go along there every day.

Firstly, 197kph, the guy wasnt hooning, he was a plain idiot.

Secondly, there are intersections all along that road that make it seemingly dangerous at 100kph, but not at 80.

Thirdly, its not the intersections that make it dangerous, its the many drivers who pull out from either side roads or u-turn accessways without any regard for the traffic travelling along the highway. They just pull out regardless of whats coming.

I know at the Organpipes Rd. intersection, there are "no right turn" signs. But every morning at 6.15am, there is a queue of cars doing right hand turns there waiting to join the hwy.

I have come across serious accidents along that road, whether it was 100kph or 80kph, it doesnt matter. No sure about deaths however.

The 80kph limit along there is a vehicles, even if you stay in the left lane.

The government is not spending a cent on that road. My suggestion is to close off about 3/4 of the entry/exit ways along there, put roundabouts at the rest and return it to 100kph, similar to what they did with Mooroduc Hwy past Frankston,and will make it much safer.

Or better still, put in overpasses at the few intersections that really need to be there (should really have been provisioned and paid for by the land developers years ago). But the gov't wont spend a cent.....
The news article states it was Calder Highway past Keilor, not Taylors Lakes. I agree that the Taylors Lakes stretch, towards the Calder Raceway is a dangerous stretch and 80 is appropriate. The stretch past Keilor has one on ramp from Keilor Park Drive and an Off Ramp to Green Gully Road. 2km's on is the Melton Hwy exit. This stretch is well known for drivers putting the foot down at odd hours, hence the cops were there past midnight or whenever the incident happened.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #23
KITBAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Or better still, put in overpasses at the few intersections

That is what is marked in my latest melways map.....
KITBAG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #24
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
The news article states it was Calder Highway past Keilor, not Taylors Lakes. I agree that the Taylors Lakes stretch, towards the Calder Raceway is a dangerous stretch and 80 is appropriate. The stretch past Keilor has one on ramp from Keilor Park Drive and an Off Ramp to Green Gully Road. 2km's on is the Melton Hwy exit. This stretch is well known for drivers putting the foot down at odd hours, hence the cops were there past midnight or whenever the incident happened.
Sorry, thought it was West side of Keilor.... still uncertain.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #25
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Fromt TheAge; " A suspended driver has been clocked doing 117km/h over the speed limit in Melbourne's north and has had his Honda Accord impounded for 48 hours. "

Well bright side is he wasn't driving, Falcon, Commodore, Skyline, Wrx or any car stereotype with "Hoons".

I could be stereotype hoon driving dihatsu charade and this guy is proof.

Ban low performing drivers not high performance cars.
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #26
barra265t
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine_afg
Fromt TheAge; " A suspended driver has been clocked doing 117km/h over the speed limit in Melbourne's north and has had his Honda Accord impounded for 48 hours. "

Well bright side is he wasn't driving, Falcon, Commodore, Skyline, Wrx or any car stereotype with "Hoons".

I could be stereotype hoon driving dihatsu charade and this guy is proof.

Ban low performing drivers not high performance cars.
Well bugger me, never knew a Honda Accord was capable of accelerating to those speeds on a relatively short stretch of road
Old 01-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #27
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

Quote:
Well bugger me, never knew a Honda Accord was capable of accelerating to those speeds on a relatively short stretch of road
Power of Vtec bro....i swear i can hear it kick in at 40km/h....

But, what a goose for doing those speeds!!
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 02:54 PM   #28
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Nice to see these hoon laws working. I mean it was much worse before these laws came in.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #29
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

This is TERRIBLE, why won't someone think of the children?

These high performance vehicles need to be banned! All we need as drivers are Toyota Corollas and maybe a Camry or two anyway, why have big thirsty cars that emit so much pollution?
Old 01-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #30
CFOUR
The Destroyer

There's a major difference between driving stupid (fast, sideways ect...) and doing so while you're not even allowed to drive.
I say shoot him...

in his right foot.