Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Ford Fusion For Australia ?????

Is Ford preparing a local challenger for Holden's forthcoming petrol-electric car, the Volt, or Toyota's Camry Hybrid? This sighting of a hybrid-badged Ford in the company's Geelong heartland on the weekend raised our hopes.

However, Ford Australia says we shouldn't read too much into local testing of this US-sourced, left-hand-drive Fusion Hybrid.

"Ford globally is doing a lot on hybrid technology and we are studying what they are doing," a spokeswoman for Ford Australia, Sinead McAlary, says. She says there are no current plans to hybridise Ford's locally built Falcon and Territory models, nor to replace the imported mid-size Mondeo with the Fusion, which is built in Mexico for the US.

"Our PE (product evaluation) team here doesn't just do work for Australia, they also evaluate vehicles on behalf of their global colleagues," McAlary says

Old 25-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Unlikely.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Hope not. It would have to replace the Mondeo if it did and that would be marketing nightmare. They're struggling as it is to get the Mondeo name out there in positive light, then to go and change it again....wouldn't put it past Ford though.

My assumption of this is they're testing the drivetrain and i hope that is all it is.
Old 25-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Not a great deal of news in that.

The engineering car park at ford (which the public can go through) has a few of these in there, plus some ecoboost cars and others which I can't remember now.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not when we have the Mondeo.. In a few years the Fusion & Mondeo will be the same thing...

I actullay prefer the look of the fusion over the Mondeo
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

I don’t mind the idea of the Fusion Hybrid entering the market as a stand alone model in the Fords range, provided it was at low implementation cost to Ford AU. It could serve the following purpose:

1. Give Ford an entry into the Hybrid Market. While for all intensive purposes Diesel technology is just as ecologically sound as Hybrid technology, it is seen as cutting edge technology and as such Ford should be involved. Why give the entire high margin ‘Green Buyers’ to Toyota & Honda? Get people who’d never consider a Ford into the Dealerships.

2. Fleets – Companies think it’s good to have Hybrids in their Fleet even if they’re limited to promotional vehicles or for senior management. I’d be surprised if Ford received many Fleet tenders which didn’t request the provision of Hybrid vehicles. Five yearly Hybrid sales could win you a hundred sales over the rest of the range.

3. Toyota do it! If Ford wants to be seen as a worthy alternative to Toyota they need to have a full range of competitive vehicles. Using Fusion as a niche player is a great way to show up the Prius as an impractical pose mobile.

4. One Ford – In a few years Mondeo & Fusion will share a platform and as such an understanding of the benefits & weaknesses of each vehicle needs to be known. The only way to get that understanding is have them perform in the same market. Give Australian buyers a taste of the new breed of American Fords and kill the stigma associated with previous releases.

5. Technology Showcase- Have a look at the specifications of the Fusion Hybrid, you name it, and it’s got it.

For the reasons above and many more having a Hybrid in the range could have a positive flow on effect for Falcon, Ranger, Territory and even Mondeo sales.
Old 25-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315

3. Toyota do it! If Ford wants to be seen as a worthy alternative to Toyota they need to have a full range of competitive vehicles. Using Fusion as a niche player is a great way to show up the Prius as an impractical pose mobile.

3.a. Plus its more fuel efficant than the Camry Hybrid.
Old 25-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I'm curious.

What Petrol engine is used in the Fusion Hybrid? Is it the same as - or bell-housing bolt compatible with - the Ecoboost I4T engine being developed for RWD application in the Falcon?

We know that the Green Car Innovation Fund has pre-allocated funding, but we don't know what it's been allocated to yet.

Time to join some speculative dots....

What if Ford can just bolt the FWD Ecoboost + Hybrid system into the engine bay of a RWD Falcon? Now THAT would be something to be excited about. I've always questioned the merit of the I4T over a diesel. Maybe this explains why they went this way.

Lukeyson
Old 26-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
irlewy86
Meep Meep

^^^^^

Gee, I'd love to see that,

1998: Holden announces it will be releasing a hybrid Commodore
2011: Ford beats it to the market
Old 26-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
I'm curious.

What Petrol engine is used in the Fusion Hybrid? Is it the same as - or bell-housing bolt compatible with - the Ecoboost I4T engine being developed for RWD application in the Falcon?

We know that the Green Car Innovation Fund has pre-allocated funding, but we don't know what it's been allocated to yet.

Time to join some speculative dots....

What if Ford can just bolt the FWD Ecoboost + Hybrid system into the engine bay of a RWD Falcon? Now THAT would be something to be excited about. I've always questioned the merit of the I4T over a diesel. Maybe this explains why they went this way.

Lukeyson
And remember the Industry Minister said that Toyota wont be the only one making a Hybrid in Australia in the not to distant future....
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
And remember the Industry Minister said that Toyota wont be the only one making a Hybrid in Australia in the not to distant future....
Sinead McAlary seemed pretty clear in the quote below. She wasn't as clear on the Fusion Hybrid joining the existing range though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
She says there are no current plans to hybridise Ford's locally built Falcon and Territory models, nor to replace the imported mid-size Mondeo with the Fusion, which is built in Mexico for the US.
Old 26-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #12
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
I don’t mind the idea of the Fusion Hybrid entering the market as a stand alone model in the Fords range, provided it was at low implementation cost to Ford AU. It could serve the following purpose:

1. Give Ford an entry into the Hybrid Market. While for all intensive purposes Diesel technology is just as ecologically sound as Hybrid technology, it is seen as cutting edge technology and as such Ford should be involved. Why give the entire high margin ‘Green Buyers’ to Toyota & Honda? Get people who’d never consider a Ford into the Dealerships.

2. Fleets – Companies think it’s good to have Hybrids in their Fleet even if they’re limited to promotional vehicles or for senior management. I’d be surprised if Ford received many Fleet tenders which didn’t request the provision of Hybrid vehicles. Five yearly Hybrid sales could win you a hundred sales over the rest of the range.

4. One Ford – In a few years Mondeo & Fusion will share a platform and as such an understanding of the benefits & weaknesses of each vehicle needs to be known. The only way to get that understanding is have them perform in the same market. Give Australian buyers a taste of the new breed of American Fords and kill the stigma associated with previous releases.

5. Technology Showcase- Have a look at the specifications of the Fusion Hybrid, you name it, and it’s got it.

For the reasons above and many more having a Hybrid in the range could have a positive flow on effect for Falcon, Ranger, Territory and even Mondeo sales.

Very good write-up! I think we all know the Fusion is unlikely, but the points you listed here make the argument for a car like it convincing.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #13
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Very good write-up! I think we all know the Fusion is unlikely, but the points you listed here make the argument for a car like it convincing.
Thanks, I saw one of the LHD test vehicles on the road and was shocked at how attractive it was. I'm sure it'd find a market in Australia, it’s stylish and unpretentious. While I'm not a fan of the grill, it's a distinctive feature which in Australia could be associated with Ford Hybrid powered vehicles. All in all a good endorsement for the OneFord push, hopefully Ford AU can see it that way also, and yes it's a long shot.
Old 26-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Is the Fusion even made in RHD?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 26-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #15
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Doubt they'd be driving LHD ones if it was. Don't go and get all logical on us now Road Warrior!
Old 28-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #16
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw one on the way home from work today so followed it.

Pulled up just around the corner from my house so got out and had a look.

2 German engineers get out...

Me: Can I take a look if I put my phone away?
Them: Something in German
Me: You don't speak english?
Them: Something in German.
Me: This is the Fusion, from America, yeah?
Engineer 1: No, from Germany.
Me: No, from America and you obviously speak english, too I see...

Engineer 1: Would you trade your mazda 6 for it?
Me: After looking at it, I just might. Are they bringing it here?
Engineer 1: They might be...

Me: Is it as good as the Mondeo?
Engineer 1: No.
Me: Steering, suspension etc?
Engineer 1: Yep.

Me: Are they tuning it with a view to bringing it out here?
Engineer 1: You can call wheels and they'll love you, but don't say who you heard it from.

Now, I'm not saying that I'm taking this guy seriously, but he seemed fairly sincere.

And, aside from the rear seats that looked a little flat, this thing looked impressive. VERY impressive.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #17
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Quote:
No, and it never will be in its current format (it's in the final stage of its model cycle).

The Fusion and Mondeo will be merging into one product after their current model cycles end - 2013-14?
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #18
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's definitly a nice looking car, but the back end is horrible, and the slab of chrome on the front doesn't make it too appealing.

My guess is they've already started work on the new Fusion/Mondeo global mid size car and this is a VERY early test car. The Fusion has been out for ages now, and it's replacement can only be two years away. The Mondeo too has been out since 2007, so by 2012-2013 it'll need replacing.
Old 29-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #19
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
It's based on the Mazda 6 platform.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #20
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The slab of chrome on the front actually looks a lot better in real life than you'd imagine from the photos. In fact the whole front end works really well together.

The back end isn't the best, but it's certainly not the worst I've seen :-)

After seeing it, I'm a big fan.
Old 29-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #21
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
The slab of chrome on the front actually looks a lot better in real life than you'd imagine from the photos.
Hopefully a test car comes up my way, then I can see it! Many people say the front gives the car a lot of road presence and like you, they like it after seeing it in reality. It is a handsome car regardless however.
Old 30-08-2010, 05:38 AM   #22
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

I actually like the look of it better than the mondeo, and think a fully fresh start with the fusion name might be what ford needs as the mondeo name i somewhat tarnished from their previous **** boxes!

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 06:52 AM   #23
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Fusion would give them some alliteration with their passenger car models. That was part of the idea behind going with Five Hundred in the states as well.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #24
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
Saw one on the way home from work today so followed it.

Pulled up just around the corner from my house so got out and had a look.

2 German engineers get out...

Me: Can I take a look if I put my phone away?
Them: Something in German
Me: You don't speak english?
Them: Something in German.
Me: This is the Fusion, from America, yeah?
Engineer 1: No, from Germany.
Me: No, from America and you obviously speak english, too I see...

Engineer 1: Would you trade your mazda 6 for it?
Me: After looking at it, I just might. Are they bringing it here?
Engineer 1: They might be...

Me: Is it as good as the Mondeo?
Engineer 1: No.
Me: Steering, suspension etc?
Engineer 1: Yep.

Me: Are they tuning it with a view to bringing it out here?
Engineer 1: You can call wheels and they'll love you, but don't say who you heard it from.

Now, I'm not saying that I'm taking this guy seriously, but he seemed fairly sincere.

And, aside from the rear seats that looked a little flat, this thing looked impressive. VERY impressive.

I wonder if the steering/suspension issue's are because of the powertrain or just because its a US model (i.e can easily be brought up to standard).
Old 30-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #25
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres a real shot in the market for a GOOD looking hybrid, because they are all quite bland at the moment...Fusion is not a looker.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #26
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
I wonder if the steering/suspension issue's are because of the powertrain or just because its a US model (i.e can easily be brought up to standard).
According to the engineer, the second one.
Old 30-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I've been seeing these at work from time to time for at least 6 months now, as well as the Taurus, so it seems like its a bit more in depth than just evaluation.

Could be anything though. Maybe FoA want to try to use some components from either car as a way of saving money on developing bespoke parts from scratch. Ford Sync hopefully for Falcon and Territory. That would be cool.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #28
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Well for starters, bringing in the hybrid Fusion would undermine and compete with Ford's own EcoBoost Falcon strategy, so that's a no go. I seem to recall FoA may have had some involvement (albeit peripheral) in developing the next-gen CD platform which the Fusion and Mondeo will use.

As for the Toreass, that car is due for replacement in 2014 so I suspect its here for benchmarking purposes against what Ford have now decided with RWD cars. But you're definitely on to something with the tech research from the Taurus - the systems in that car would HAVE to find their way into local cars sooner or later and the only way they can really evaluate it and fiddle with it in the real world is in the car itself.

Last edited by Road_Warrior; 30-08-2010 at 11:10 PM.