Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Torque.... Turbo Terry Vs Turbo Diesel

Ok guys, here's my argument. I haven't been too fussed with my mates giving me lip or caring about towing capacity of a turbo terry. However, they seem 100% sure that a 4.2L turbo diesel is way better for towing... personally i don't give a rats about towing, i won't be towing anything regardless! But i'm 150% sure that a TT will pull a 1.5 tonne trailer/load up a hill or over a course quicker then a 4.2L turbo diesel patrol.... A TT will do it easier, and quicker... not worrying about fuel economy.

I agree that diesel cars will be more fuel efficient in doing the same work... This doesn't automatically mean they're better for towing though...

However, the argument continues... They also suggest that a diesel will tow better and get the 'object' off the line easier... Again i disagree, 480Nm is still 480Nm, and it peaks very early in the TT, not to mention a diesel car will usually have different gearing (1st/2nd gear revs out quickly), making it feel like it does it easier.

My argument is this: If a TT has 480Nm, and 245kw, and a patrol has 175kw and 480Nm (made up figures), then the TT is surely going to tow just as well, plus do it faster... Fuel economy is not an issue here...

Am i missing something here or what???? I understand that a turbo diesel will be a torque monster, but it'll usually lack KW (top end power), on the same token a turbo terry will be a torque monster but still have the KW (top end) to keep it going (rev harder and keep accelerating).

So, at the end of the day, towing a 1.5 tonne trailer, which is better? Remember fuel economy is not an issue... Surely a TT is the winner?

It's horses for courses, but at the end of the day a TT will tow as much if not more, and still accelerate a ***** load quicker, is this not correct?? Fuel economy will be better in the diesel, but this is not being considered as a measure of success...

jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
LUXO_8
windsor user

because when your towing, you want to accelerate like a race car...yeh thats desireable

the diesel will give you most of its power and torque from about 1500rpm
the turbo 6 will be around 3000 or so.....

without a doubt i would go for the diesel for pulling stuff
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
Kryton

Ill put my money on the Turbo Diesel any day of the week.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed.
Diesel is better for pulling. Great torque. That's why my mate ONLY wanted a Turbo Diesel Manual for his Pajero - because unlike 90% of people, he takes his car off road. Si much in fact that he's damaged his exhaust and something else (that will cost 7k to repair). The new 4WDs are not built as well as the older ones (due to the market), but that's irrelevant.

He wanted a diesel because he wants the grunt to get up a hill. He doesn't need to do it in record time.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
MexicanBatman
Banned

I'd put a tenner on a 6 auto turbo Terri towing 1500kg being able to out accelerate a patrol towing nothing

why would you need acceleration someone asks

overtaking

racing rice boys in civics

I don't like diesels tiny powerband

all torque no go

if a 6a t Terri did 60 flat out in 1st and 90 in 2nd you see a massive difference towing stuff what's the patrols gearing like flatout maybe 40km in 1 and 80 in 2nd

the thay say my golf tdi has so much torque. As will any 2.0l 4 with 16psi boost. I've done many mm in an 08 2.0tdi dsg golf and I hate the little truck

I used to run heaps of people towing a 6x4 with 3 bikes in the back and gear and stuff
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 11:44 PM   #6
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUXO_8
because when your towing, you want to accelerate like a race car...yeh thats desireable

the diesel will give you most of its power and torque from about 1500rpm
And will be all over by 2000rpm.
Fall out of boost in diesel and it gets real slow.

But its the Tortoise and the Hare.
The turbo petrol will get up the hill quicker, but will probably have overheated by the top. The diesel will just get up there slow and steady...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyxr6t04
Ok guys, here's my argument. I haven't been too fussed with my mates giving me lip or caring about towing capacity of a turbo terry. However, they seem 100% sure that a 4.2L turbo diesel is way better for towing... personally i don't give a rats about towing, i won't be towing anything regardless! But i'm 150% sure that a TT will pull a 1.5 tonne trailer/load up a hill or over a course quicker then a 4.2L turbo diesel patrol.... A TT will do it easier, and quicker... not worrying about fuel economy.

I agree that diesel cars will be more fuel efficient in doing the same work... This doesn't automatically mean they're better for towing though...

However, the argument continues... They also suggest that a diesel will tow better and get the 'object' off the line easier... Again i disagree, 480Nm is still 480Nm, and it peaks very early in the TT, not to mention a diesel car will usually have different gearing (1st/2nd gear revs out quickly), making it feel like it does it easier.

My argument is this: If a TT has 480Nm, and 245kw, and a patrol has 175kw and 480Nm (made up figures), then the TT is surely going to tow just as well, plus do it faster... Fuel economy is not an issue here...

Am i missing something here or what???? I understand that a turbo diesel will be a torque monster, but it'll usually lack KW (top end power), on the same token a turbo terry will be a torque monster but still have the KW (top end) to keep it going (rev harder and keep accelerating).

So, at the end of the day, towing a 1.5 tonne trailer, which is better? Remember fuel economy is not an issue... Surely a TT is the winner?

It's horses for courses, but at the end of the day a TT will tow as much if not more, and still accelerate a ***** load quicker, is this not correct?? Fuel economy will be better in the diesel, but this is not being considered as a measure of success...
the terri has heaps of torque, myself i would`nt trade petrol engine characteristics for a small diesel, unless i was towing all day every day, even then i would worry about durability with some of these small diesels, and the cost to repair them.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 12:16 AM   #8
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:

Forgetting fuel economy, which you have. You are spot on!

A Turbo Terri will do 0-100kmh in mid 7s. A Turbo Diesel Patrol will do 0-100kmh in what 12s?

A Turbo Terri has 450Nm+ from 2000rpm to 5000rpm and a 6spd ZF.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 12:18 AM   #9
Maggot
Half an aussie garage!!

I'd have some money on even a standard 4L smashing the diesel in acceleration.. whatever it is towing.. letalone a turbo petrol motor.

It would just used five times as much fuel doing so.

Yes.. diesels have a great amount of torque from say.. 2100 to 2300 rpm.. but then nothing after that. (or before it).
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 12:26 AM   #10
burnz
VFII SS UTE

4.2L diesel NA will give a t/terry a hard time when towing.

4.2 turbo diesel should be around 550+ Nm @1500rpm
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 12:39 AM   #11
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Ill put my money on the Turbo Diesel any day of the week.
Obviously you've not driven a 4.2L turbo diesel patrol? Towing anything over a ton with a patrol is a joke. Absolute slug. Brother and father in law have spent thousands on upgrades just to make them bearable. Turbo xr/Terri will slaughter it. Only benefit of the pootrol is a full chassis and lots of weight to sit solid on the road. My na fg xr6 ute drags 2 tonnes as easy as you like. Mates xr6t ute drags the same load with half the effort and uses less fuel than mine. Pootrol is in 4th gear half the time and fighting to hold 100kmh constant with 2 tonnes.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #12
Maggot
Half an aussie garage!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz

^^

Yep.. they probably should be.. but try driving one.

I have been driving a patrol EVERY day for a few months.. towing.. travelling.. slowly!!!.

I think the best patrols are the ones with the brunswick 6.5L chev diesel.. and maybe the new french engine will be OK.. but the rest of the diesel versions suck.
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 12:51 AM   #13
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz

Where do I get one of these rocket ships? A 4.2 td patrol is good for 114kw at about 3600 rpm and 330nm at 2000 rpm. Couldn't pull the skin off ya mums custard. An NA diesel will have you wanting to get back on public transport. A turbo diesel 200 series, range rover sport, lc79 cruiser, f250 or a toureg are about the only 4wds that will out pull a turbo Terri If fuel is not a consideration.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 01:21 AM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

speaking of slak diesels, my mate i used to go scrub bashing with had an Nissan sd33(non turbo) 3.3l diesel in an MQ patrol............never!!!....... have i seen such a slug of a motor lol, about its only redeeming feature was its engine brakeing in low gear.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 02:15 AM   #15
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My money's on the terri the i6t would get to the top of the hill faster
Both turbo's will be in by 2000rpm but the diesel would need changing gears at 3000 rpm the i6t will pull 480nm all the way to the limiter.

You boys seem to forget the were trialling the i6 for aiport tugs
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 02:19 AM   #16
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Turbo diesels in most 4wds are very overrated, but they get good fuel economy. I had a V8 turbo diesel Landcruiser over 2700km and it was honestly nothing special. There is no way whatsoever it would outperform a turbo Territory in towing a heavy load, but it would use less fuel.

In something as heavy as a Landcruiser I would pick the diesel, but I wont expect performance better than say a Camry.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 02:26 AM   #17
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
speaking of slak diesels, my mate i used to go scrub bashing with had an Nissan sd33(non turbo) 3.3l diesel in an MQ patrol............never!!!....... have i seen such a slug of a motor lol, about its only redeeming feature was its engine brakeing in low gear.

Haha, mum had a LWB one of those back when I was a young un.... SD33 N/A Diesel, 4spd Manual gearbox.... Slow as a wet week, it would wheel spin its 33" all terrains in the wet tho!

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 04:10 AM   #18
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My argument is this: If a TT has 480Nm, and 245kw, and a patrol has 175kw and 480Nm (made up figures)
The problem with your guess is the only Patrol engine with numbers close to that is the 4.8 litre petrol. 118kW & 330Nm from a 4.2 litre TD is likely to result in it being well and truly smoked by the Terry. I reckon the N/A Ford might give it a run for it's money too.
On takeoff the TD would get the jump, but would run out of puff fast and upshift quickly, breaking momentum and losing boost. The Turbo petrol would quickly enter the torque curve and would then start to move quickly, then with the wider powerband as it revs out and goes up a gear, would drop right back into the sweet spot and keep going.

A few drivers where I used to work would replace their stuffed diesels on 3-5 tonne trucks with a small block Chev on gas. More go, probably cost as much as the rebuilt diesel motor and fuel costs were probably similar on gas
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 06:55 AM   #19
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot
Yes.. diesels have a great amount of torque from say.. 2100 to 2300 rpm.. but then nothing after that. (or before it).
I think you'll find it's a lot more than that. My 2.0L HDi Peugeot 307 has full torque (320Nm) from about 1750rpm through to about 4000rpm. They have a very flat torque curve throughout nearly the whole rev range. It's the same with the turbo petrol cars. Flat torque curve for a lot of the rpm range.
Old 30-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #20
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

It’s a pointless comparison, ones a purpose built 4WD and the others at best a AWD soft-roader, both aimed at a different customer. While a Turbo Territory may beat a Turbo Patrol in the Territorys designed environment, my money will be on the Patrol on a trip to Cape York and back....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #21
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just to clarify, i wouldn't buy a TT as a dedicated tow car... If i needed to tow something i would have bought a turbo diesel for the fuel economy.

The question just arrises because my mates tow boats. I really don't know how much power the turbo diesel has, it's never been put on a dyno.

I 100% understand that a turbo diesel is awesome for towing, but i think the TT would be equal to the task if not better. The only downside to the TT is the fuel consumption, which isn't a factor in this particular argument.

Initially my mate said a turbo diesel would tow a tonne of sand up a hill quicker then a TT, when i explained the power/torque of the TT he slightly retracted his comments, but then said the turbo diesel is still better for towing.

I'm trying to explain that a TT should be equal too, if not better due to the wide torque band and peak horsepower. I semi-agree that a turbo diesel would probably pull off the line quicker (initially) until they had to change to 2nd gear at about 4000rpm...

Remember a TT makes peak torque from 2000rpm so surely a TT will pull stuff up a hill with just as much ease as a turbo diesel?

All i'm trying to do is prove that a TT is as good at towing, if not better... Again, putting fuel economy aside... Overtaking would easier, acceleration would be better.

Edit - I'd almost go as far to say that a TT with a tonne of sand would still go close to beating a turbo diesel up a hill with no sand.
Old 30-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #22
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
It’s a pointless comparison, ones a purpose built 4WD and the others at best a AWD soft-roader, both aimed at a different customer. While a Turbo Territory may beat a Turbo Patrol in the Territorys designed environment, my money will be on the Patrol on a trip to Cape York and back....
True, obviously the Terry isn't for off road. But the comparison is fair, we're talking for on road towing. If i was required to tow a tonne of something for whatever reason, i know i could do it, and i'm sure the TT would make light work of it (perhaps hurt my pocket thought)
Old 30-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #23
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
True, obviously the Terry isn't for off road. But the comparison is fair, we're talking for on road towing. If i was required to tow a tonne of something for whatever reason, i know i could do it, and i'm sure the TT would make light work of it (perhaps hurt my pocket thought)
I'm sure it would, after all it's rated up to 2300kg#

Ford Aus Website...
# 2,300kg is the maximum towing capacity using a Genuine Ford heavy duty tow pack with load levelling kit. For RWD models, an auxiliary transmission oil cooler must be fitted. To comply with these limits, occupants and/or luggage may need to be restricted. For greater passenger and luggage requirements, please consult your authorised Ford Dealer for details and/or refer to the Territory owner manual under 'Towing Capacities' for further guidance. Subject to State and Territory regulations.

...but would you use the results to choose between the two...???

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 30-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #24
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

economy aside, the TT without a shadow of a doubt.
Old 30-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #25
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm sure it would, after all it's rated up to 2300kg#

Ford Aus Website...
# 2,300kg is the maximum towing capacity using a Genuine Ford heavy duty tow pack with load levelling kit. For RWD models, an auxiliary transmission oil cooler must be fitted. To comply with these limits, occupants and/or luggage may need to be restricted. For greater passenger and luggage requirements, please consult your authorised Ford Dealer for details and/or refer to the Territory owner manual under 'Towing Capacities' for further guidance. Subject to State and Territory regulations.

...but would you use the results to choose between the two...???
Of course not! Again, if i had to tow something regularly i'd opt for a turbo diesel.

All i'm trying to get through to my mates is that whilst it's not a 4X4 or a car people would buy to tow on a regular basis a TT is still as good as a turbo diesel for towing...

For some reason they seem to think the turbo diesel has more torque or uses torque differently, making it better.... I'm saying that torque is still torque, and when you get max torque at 2000rpm with a good whack of horsepower, it should tow as good if not better then a turbo diesel...
Old 30-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #26
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

In ten years time I know what vehicle will be still going strong...
Modern diesels are NOTHING like the old clunkers..
Picking the Nissan with it's 4 cylinder [AU spec] doesn't assist the diesel either..
You MUST consider fuel consumption, braking, handling and durability when towing..
Boats are relatively easy to tow if your not in a hurry...
Why would you be in a hurry towing 3+ ton ??
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #27
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Ok, well i would suggest you and your mates get the two vehicals in question, two rated trailers, 2000kg of sand each and a hill.....

Also maybe a side bet of a grand or two..... ;)

Old 30-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #28
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok, well i would suggest you and your mates get the two vehicals in question, two rated trailers, 2000kg of sand each and a hill.....

Also maybe a side bet of a grand or two..... ;)
lol... we did joke about it, we're both responsible adults, so i don't think a race up a hill with trailers is an option! The TT is modified now, so it wouldn't work even if we wanted too!
Old 30-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #29
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Ive seen 4.0 NA Terrys towing 23' Caravans that weigh a lot more than 1500 Kg....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #30
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

TT FTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Ive seen 4.0 NA Terrys towing 23' Caravans that weigh a lot more than 1500 Kg....
Yeah, but... but... but...
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post