Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Is this VE end?

Is this VE end?
MATT CAMPBELL
April 23, 2010
Comments 6

Holden's VE Commodore.
Holden’s most popular Commodore ever to be replaced this year.

Holden will roll out its new “VF” Commodore later this year, as the company makes plans to cut production of the VE Commodore earlier than first thought.

Holden will reportedly shut down its Adelaide assembly plant for 13 days in July and August as it begins to phase out the current model VE Commodore.

"Ahead of updating our locally produced Commodore range later this year, we need to prepare for a smooth run out of the current model within the plant," a Holden spokesperson said.

"To do this, we have been working with the union to balance short-term manufacturing plans that will allow us to taper production of the current range, before ramping up with the new model."

That means the long-awaited VF Commodore is likely to make its debut later this year, but a Holden spokesperson said it was too early to confirm the changeover date.

The new model is unlikely to present any spectacular changes, though a freshened interior and minor exterior tweaks are expected.

Engines are likely to be tweaked for better economy and emissions, but there’s no word as yet on whether the long-rumoured diesel variant will also feature.

One of the big changes for the new model is Holden's introduction of its E85 models which are capable of running on a mixture ranging from 100 per cent petrol to a shandy of 85 per cent ethanol and 15 per cent petrol.

The E85-capable engine is believed to be mechanically very similar to the dual-fuel 3.6-litre V6 Holden currently fits to production cars that customers want to run on either petrol or LPG.

The car maker has already developed E85-compatible engines as part of its failed US export program that was cancelled in response to the global economic crisis and General Motors' flirt with bankruptcy, which halted exports of the Commodore to one of its largest markets.

Sales of the current Commodore range are still strong, and the car was the highest-selling model in Australia for March with a total of 4209 sold.

"The company has enjoyed a strong start to 2010 and anticipates a great response to the updated Commodore range later in the year as we seek to extend its reign as Australia’s best-selling car," the spokesperson said.

So far this year the Commodore is also the top-ranking vehicle, with 11,364 cars sold.

Earlier this week, Holden’s new managing director Mike Devereux said the company’s plans for its much anticipated new locally-made Cruze small car were still on track, with a 2011 almost certain.

With Barry Park

Old 24-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
Gaz
Got Ghia?

woo an E85 model... Buy now wait 5+ years for widespread general public bowers to become available.

IN regards to tuning for these, it says it can run anything from 100% petrol to E85, however the properties of the fuels are that different I don't see how you can mix and match as you please? The tuning to run 100% petrol and E85 aren't exactly similar.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

About bloody time. VE is getting very dated.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Holden’s most popular Commodore ever?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Is this VE end?
MATT CAMPBELL
April 23, 2010
Comments 6
Earlier this week, Holden’s new managing director Mike Devereux said the company’s plans for its much anticipated new locally-made Cruze small car were still on track, with a 2011 almost certain.

With Barry Park
mmmm Almost Certain, First it was early 2010, then late 2010, then was definatley early 2011. Now its only a 2011 almost certain.

I wonder if in a few months we might see a "maybe"
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
WAR40T
EL GHIA LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
woo an E85 model... Buy now wait 5+ years for widespread general public bowers to become available.

IN regards to tuning for these, it says it can run anything from 100% petrol to E85, however the properties of the fuels are that different I don't see how you can mix and match as you please? The tuning to run 100% petrol and E85 aren't exactly similar.
+1 good point Gaz, i am yet to see an E85 bowser.

HERITAGE GREEN EL GHIA, ROH MODENA WHEELS, /////ALPINE AUDIO, PEDDERS XA COILOVER'S
WAR40T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
About bloody time. VE is getting very dated.
it was getting dated in the late 90's when it had bmw badges
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Soooo, if VF is a minor cosmetic enhancement with improved interior, how much change does FG really need?
When the new Territory arrives, maybe some aligning of front and rear styling themes but other than that,
I think our Falcon is streets ahead in looking fresh.

That gaping maw on the VE Commodore doesn't get any prettier with age...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Whooo E85! Theres only two petrol stations in Victoria who sell it... What a useless marketing point.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Whooo E85! Theres only two petrol stations in Victoria who sell it... What a useless marketing point.
havent seen any in brisbane....
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #11
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
havent seen any in brisbane....
Me neither
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
MexicanBatman
Banned

i had a VE and a VF 40yo they were....

holden should think of a new code to call them by

my VF hardtop was a million x better than any VF commodore will be LOL will the VG commodore come out with the hemi?

it's time to start talking up the demise of holden, they have been holden on too long and all the focus has been on Ford ;)

not being biased as i own a FG but before i did i drove a VE around tasmania and there is no comparison, the Aurion is much better... so why own a ford then? well no one wants a slow (they arent slow though) FWD now do they lol
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #13
smally289
growing up is optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewg6e
i had a VE and a VF 40yo they were....

holden should think of a new code to call them by

my VF hardtop was a million x better than any VF commodore will be LOL will the VG commodore come out with the hemi?

it's time to start talking up the demise of holden, they have been holden on too long and all the focus has been on Ford ;)

not being biased as i own a FG but before i did i drove a VE around tasmania and there is no comparison, the Aurion is much better... so why own a ford then? well no one wants a slow (they arent slow though) FWD now do they lol

Makes you wonder if they will bring out a Pacer model in the VF range .......
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #14
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Going to run out of letters eventually.

VB
VC
VE
VF
VG
VH
VK
VL
VN
VP
VQ
VR
VS
VT
VU
VX
VY
VZ

Cant use VW. VV is just odd. VA and VD is going backwards again.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Cant use VW. VV is just odd. VA and VD is going backwards again.
fe-fc, ek-ej-eh, hr-hk-hg, ht-hq-hj - it seems to me they have always gone backwards

but vd does seem to suit their cars - much the same as hsv
Old 24-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #16
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

VD... ;p
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #17
MAV50L
Banned

Who wouldnt want to buy a nice new VD?????????
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #18
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

How is this model holdens most popular? I would have thought VT was the most popular by far, that model sold heaps and heaps and certainly wasn't around as long as VE. I don't understand why they never updated VE earlier, why keep current shape for 4 years and not make it look fresh?

I hope Holden stays afloat, however. Wishing that a company will fail is very "sour grapes", why should those workers and their families suffer because some people don't like the Holden product? Healthy conpetition never hurt anybody.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #19
tick6vct
AU-XR-S3-VCT

no dought i will be a strong seller especialy if its aimed more at fuel efficiancy
Old 24-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #20
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

A HSV VD.
I just dont want one of those.
Old 24-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #21
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I beleive VA was used as well...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #22
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
A HSV VD.
skaife and lowndes always wanted hsv - i am sure they would accept vd as well
Old 24-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #23
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
A HSV VD.

Most HSV owners already have a VD!!
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #24
Sizey
Mk5 Transbulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
How is this model holdens most popular? I would have thought VT was the most popular by far, that model sold heaps and heaps and certainly wasn't around as long as VE.
You are dead on the money there mate. Another point of interest is that the VT was also the commodore to have the most problems, glitches and factory recalls.......followed closely by the VE.

B series xr6 wagon
Now deceased

BF Fairlane ex taxi
Now for more fun
[/CENTER]
Sizey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #25
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz

Knock sensor knows what fuel the car is running at the time. If its got regular unleaded, it will ping alot earlier than if it had premium or E85. Once the car stops pinging it will raise the timing until it either starts pinging again, or reaches its limit of timing.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #26
SVD

I like the VT/VX commodores.... they looked pretty good and still don't look bad even today... like the VX SS...

As for the VE, it was pretty much Dated at release...and it still shocks me every time i hear people say it has a better interior design/quality to any ford built...

My EF Ghia has a nicer interior then those VE's!!!
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #27
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Knock sensor knows what fuel the car is running at the time. If its got regular unleaded, it will ping alot earlier than if it had premium or E85. Once the car stops pinging it will raise the timing until it either starts pinging again, or reaches its limit of timing.

More to the point E85 uses a significant % more fuel, meaning as well as adding and removing timing the computer will have to also make a large adjustment to the amount of fuel injected? It might work ok, not sure, is the amount of fuel used at these power levels as significant? Going on Daniel's builds I believe he said he actually needs extra fuel pumps to run E85? (correct me if I'm wrong Daniel).

With the way some people drive if you have used a tank of E85 and do a full tank of regular and booting it before the knock sensors adjust, after a period of time I can't see this being healthy?

Might be making an issue of nothing here :togo:
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #28
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Despite being a 4 year old car I still like the look of the VE. I've always loved the Calais though.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #29
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
More to the point E85 uses a significant % more fuel, meaning as well as adding and removing timing the computer will have to also make a large adjustment to the amount of fuel injected? It might work ok, not sure, is the amount of fuel used at these power levels as significant? Going on Daniel's builds I believe he said he actually needs extra fuel pumps to run E85? (correct me if I'm wrong Daniel).

With the way some people drive if you have used a tank of E85 and do a full tank of regular and booting it before the knock sensors adjust, after a period of time I can't see this being healthy?

Might be making an issue of nothing here :togo:
The technology originates from the USA and a Flex Fuel Vehicle enables
the engine to accept flexible percentages of ethanol from zero to 85%.

The funny thing is that E85 isn't all that popular in the states so unless the
government gets behind cane farmers and refineries, i doubt it's going anywhere.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #30
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The technology originates from the USA and a Flex Fuel Vehicle enables
the engine to accept flexible percentages of ethanol from zero to 85%.

The funny thing is that E85 isn't all that popular in the states so unless the
government gets behind cane farmers and refineries, i doubt it's going anywhere.
I've done reading in the recent past on E85 tuning. Basically there is a sensor which can work out what percentage ethanol is in the fuel tank. From there, you just need 2 distinct maps (E0/P100 & E85/P15)for your fuel, spark, variable cam timing etc. Then extrapolate them to come up with the 'right' setting.

eg For convenience, in the tank we have say 42.5% Ethanol, the output from the sensor to ECU would be given a value, which the ECU recognises as E42.5 which would be 50% of the E85 maps and 50% of the E0 maps. Add the results and you have your outputs.

Just google to find a link with a picture etc.
http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.htm

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post