Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default New council bylaws - vic

Top ten silly bylaws

1 No camping on any private properties without a permit - Bass Coast Shire Council

2 No doormats outside shops for tradies to wipe their boots, must be 1.5m outside the door - Cardinia Shire Council

3 Dogs in owners' front yards forbidden to jump at fence or bark at passersby walking past - Wyndham City Council

4 No watercraft, including toy boats, allowed on public lakes or ponds - City of Greater Geelong

5 No singing in parks - Bass Coast Shire Council

6 No feeding birds or throwing stones or sticks in public lakes or ponds - City of Greater Geelong

7 No "boisterous" behaviour in parks or public areas - Alpine Shire

8 No advertising garage sales before the day of the sale, and all posters have to be taken down by the evening or the owner faces a $234 fine per sign - City of Whittlesea

9 No signs in car window offering it for sale without a permit - City of Ballarat

10 Pigeons can only be exercised for two hours after sunrise and two hours before sunset - Wyndham City Council

full article here
http://www.news.com.au/national/coun...-1225835850408

i thought adelaide had some pretty draconian councils but some of these rules are mind boggling.

mind you i'm sure there are many laws that joe public is unaware of.

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
Top ten silly bylaws

1 No camping on any private properties without a permit - Bass Coast Shire Council

2 No doormats outside shops for tradies to wipe their boots, must be 1.5m outside the door - Cardinia Shire Council

3 Dogs in owners' front yards forbidden to jump at fence or bark at passersby walking past - Wyndham City Council

4 No watercraft, including toy boats, allowed on public lakes or ponds - City of Greater Geelong

5 No singing in parks - Bass Coast Shire Council

6 No feeding birds or throwing stones or sticks in public lakes or ponds - City of Greater Geelong

7 No "boisterous" behaviour in parks or public areas - Alpine Shire

8 No advertising garage sales before the day of the sale, and all posters have to be taken down by the evening or the owner faces a $234 fine per sign - City of Whittlesea

9 No signs in car window offering it for sale without a permit - City of Ballarat

10 Pigeons can only be exercised for two hours after sunrise and two hours before sunset - Wyndham City Council

full article here
http://www.news.com.au/national/coun...-1225835850408

i thought adelaide had some pretty draconian councils but some of these rules are mind boggling.

mind you i'm sure there are many laws that joe public is unaware of.
You would get away with some of those in China...

Dog not allowed to bark? WTF
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

As silly as they seem most of those by-laws would have been introduced to fix a real problem.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
As silly as they seem most of those by-laws would have been introduced to fix a real problem.
I agree. The next person i see singing in a public park or exercising their pigeons in the middle of the day is going to get punched right in the face. I've had enough.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
prydey
Rob

not to mention the kiddies feeding bread to the ducks. they deserve everything they get for such behaviour.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
I agree. The next person i see singing in a public park or exercising their pigeons in the middle of the day is going to get punched right in the face. I've had enough.
I don't own pigeons but perhaps that law was introduced to stop them crapping all over their neighbours washing during the day.

Perhaps the singing by-law was introduced to stop people putting on concerts in public parklands without a permit.

The advertising on cars would have been to stop backyard car yards using shopping malls, footpaths etc.

The dog jumping and barking at people walking down the street is pretty obvious.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
prydey
Rob

cs123 - what you say is correct. there are obviously some issues in certain councils (eg public concerts etc) that they want stamped out, but like the article says, they are penalising a lot of people unneccissarily.

if a dog is contained in its own yard, what is the problem. if a dog is barking due to mistreatment (small yard, no exercise etc etc) don't penalise those who do the right thing.

by setting a blanket rule they make their job easier as they don't have to constantly chase up individual nuicances. they also get a lot more revenue this way too.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
I don't own pigeons but perhaps that law was introduced to stop them crapping all over their neighbours washing during the day.

Perhaps the singing by-law was introduced to stop people putting on concerts in public parklands without a permit.

The advertising on cars would have been to stop backyard car yards using shopping malls, footpaths etc.

The dog jumping and barking at people walking down the street is pretty obvious.
Incorrect sorry.

It was put in to stop people parking on nature strips and the like advertising their cars. People have been fined for having their car parked out the front of their house with a For Sale sign on it.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:

Hahahahaha.

This was on the local radio this morning. Had a good chuckle!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Incorrect sorry.

It was put in to stop people parking on nature strips and the like advertising their cars. People have been fined for having their car parked out the front of their house with a For Sale sign on it.
Wasnt that what I said?
Old 02-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Wasnt that what I said?
No, I believe what you said was;

Quote:
It was nothing to do with "backyard car yards", shopping centre's (Australia here) or parking on footpaths. The City of Ballarat took issue with people parking in streets advertising cars for sale, their argument being that it was a distraction for passing motorists.

I live in Ballarat btw.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

the car selling one is pretty common in most councils i think you'll find. most if not all councils in adelaide have a similar ruling. some are enforced more than others though.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

So, you need a 'permit' to display a 'for sale' sign in your car window? So, if you stuck the same sign to the door / bonnet / boot, or any other sheet metal will you no longer require the permit?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #15
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
No, I believe what you said was;

It was nothing to do with "backyard car yards", shopping centre's (Australia here) or parking on footpaths. The City of Ballarat took issue with people parking in streets advertising cars for sale, their argument being that it was a distraction for passing motorists.

I live in Ballarat btw.
I think you're splitting hairs. The law addresses both private and back yard boys. I just gave a different example. It is in use au wide.
We also have malls here too.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #16
Kowalski
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Classic
You would get away with some of those in China...

Dog not allowed to bark? WTF
haha I'm in China right now and I can tell you for a fact, there is next to no regulation for anything. No road rules, spitting/smoking everywhere, dogs & cats wandering into shops/hotels......anything!
Might pay to not want too much religious freedom though......
Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #17
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I might go sing Baa Baa Black Sheep in public...

I can just imagine the report in the paper after I'd been arrested for being a public nuisance.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #18
Ghiagirl
Budding Revhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death

I can just imagine the report in the paper after I'd been arrested for being a public nuisance.
Which park, I'll meet you there! I could do with belting out a tune or two :

His: Winter White 99 AU Fairmont,6 cyl, 17" Tickford Rims, nice and stock
This mum's in mod mode

www.aufalcon.com/ghiagirl
Ghiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #19
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Please have a mate there with video camera so we can see you guys singing and then getting arrested

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #20
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well over here we have had to cull lots of native birds as the chicks are not getting enough protien so there legs and wings are not developing properly and the crows are becomming vicious because of the public feeding.
A kookaburra flew down to snatch a sausage from a guy who was about to put it in his mouth and either the bird miscalculated or the guy moved his head but the beak went through his cheek and knocked a tooth out.
I disagree it should be a by-law but I can see where they are coming from.

Shirts are not allowed to be taken off by men at the park either- fine with me, but stupid.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #21
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Ahh Yes, "Victoria, the place to be", thin edge of the wedge!

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #22
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Most of these are an absolute crock.

Quote:
No advertising garage sales before the day of the sale, and all posters have to be taken down by the evening or the owner faces a $234 fine per sign - City of Whittlesea
You've got to be kidding me, right?

Quote:
No camping on any private properties without a permit - Bass Coast Shire Council
You mean to tell me I can't pitch a tent in my own backyard without a permit?
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #23
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Ok, here's one for you. What about a by law that limits the number of unrelated people that can live in a house. Sounds stupid doesn't it.

Here is the reason
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news...049019309.html

There is always a reason for the introduction of a by-law. That may not make sense now, but at some time in the past there was a need to introduce it.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #24
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Lot of laws are made to solve a specific problem, but are worded in a general manner to cover a wider field. But over time they get used in the general manner and lose the intention ,or plot, of what the original law was introduced for.
The so-called Govt 'Biker Laws' do NOT refer to bike gangs. They can be applied to ANY group of people the Govt. of the day wish to restrict, if it has a problem with them. The law can legally be applied to any group of people. CWA, Sporting Clubs, Car Clubs, and AFF.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #25
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
The so-called Govt 'Biker Laws' do NOT refer to bike gangs. They can be applied to ANY group of people the Govt. of the day wish to restrict, if it has a problem with them. .
Agree, very dangerous law that one. Could easily see it extended to "hoon" gatherings ie car clubs.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:14 AM   #26
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok, here's one for you. What about a by law that limits the number of unrelated people that can live in a house. Sounds stupid doesn't it.

Here is the reason
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news...049019309.html

There is always a reason for the introduction of a by-law. That may not make sense now, but at some time in the past there was a need to introduce it.
And like most moronic bureaucrats they make a simplistic law that stuffs everything else up.

There was a time once when public vegetables were actually able to be held accountable for their insanity but that time is long past.

Even the elected councillors cannot interfere with the actions of the council employees regardless of how stupid they are as they are now a "protected species".

This can only be fixed at a state government level. Remember when you vote.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 12:25 AM   #27
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Remember when you vote.
The depressing thing is the 'tards get back in.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #28
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death

You will be charged for not being politically correct as well.
For not singing the approved version, Baa Baa COLOURED sheep.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #29
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
You will be charged for not being politically correct as well.
For not singing the approved version, Baa Baa COLOURED sheep.
that is actually for real. the age old nursery rhyme now gets the 'black' changed to something like 'fluffy' or 'woolly' on playschool.

its political correctness gone mad. is black no longer a colour? if i see a black sheep in a paddock, or black anything, thats what it gets called.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #30
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
that is actually for real. the age old nursery rhyme now gets the 'black' changed to something like 'fluffy' or 'woolly' on playschool.

its political correctness gone mad. is black no longer a colour? if i see a black sheep in a paddock, or black anything, thats what it gets called.
And "what to do with a drunken sailor" is now "what to do with a grumpy sailor".