Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Ford & the Media

Lately I’ve been noticing a lot of negativity in the media around the Ford brand and products in general. Rather than point to a positive in a Ford announcement the spin is usually negative.

For example there are two stories from Cars Guide this week both around cars not being put into production in Australia.

1. Falcon GT-HO rebirth plans fade

This week in an interview Rod Barrett publically acknowledged that FPV would be introducing a new V8 in 2010. Instead of excitement over the announcement we got a doom and gloom story about FPV saying no to a GTHO revival. Also there is a point to HSV’s sales being higher, although no direct comparisons are made.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/new...th_plans_fade/

2. The born-again Chevrolet Camaro could come to Australia for as little as $35 million.

Here’s a feel good story about how little it’d cost to get Holden to bring a right hand drive Camaro into Australia. Of course no mention is made as to why the program was cancelled in the first place (i.e. GM’s Bankruptcy), or why it’s unlikely to happen in the short term (GMH can’t get finance to save its life and had to beg the Government for a line of credit). Just to add insult to injury “Carsguide will mount a campaign if enough readers get behind the car, and we're happy to pass the push to GM Holden's new chairman, Alan Batey.”.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/new..._a_lost_cause/

It’s not my intention to cry foul with this thread rather to correct some untruths and maybe expose some of this reporting for what it is.

Also, I’ve noticed that Ford Forums come up on many internet searches so it may be able to educate those looking for more ‘unbiased’ information.

Does anyone else have any more examples, or can right some wrongs on articles currently out there in the media?

Old 30-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Its all down to perception, thats Ford's problem, everyone hates them for no reason.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Focus to be our fourth Asian Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsGuide
The company already gets the Escape off-roader from Taiwan and Ranger ute out of Thailand, which will be joined mid-2010 by the Fiesta hatch. Now an as-yet unnamed Asian plant will build the next-generation global Focus sedan and hatch for local launch in 2011.
http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/new...rth_asian_ford

Here’s another article following Fords announcement to cancel its plans to build the Focus in Australia. The article makes no mention that:

1. Ford is only one of three companies manufacturing vehicles in Australia.
2. Ford produces the Falcon (Sedan / Wagon / Ute), and Territory in Australia.
3. Of the other companies manufacturing vehicle in Australia:
a) All of Toyota’s imported vehicles are built in Asia (10 plus models), and;
b) The vast majority of Holden products are rebadged Daewoo’s (Barina, Cruise, Epica, Captiva). The Colorado is a rebadged Isuzu, and the Combo is ancient (I have no idea where it’s built).

It amazes me that only half the story can be told in this manner.
Old 30-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

welcome to the $$$$$ that holden put into nearly all the media here in au

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
WASP
Whipple Induced

Unfortunately I don't think it has anything to do with Holden 'paying off the media' and think it is more related to popularity. I believe the media believe that Holden is an Australian icon and therefore everybody loves, or feels some form of patriotism towards the brand. Ford is believed to be a US icon, built here is Australia like Toyota is and Mitsubishi was to Japan. Ask the average general public and more people if given a choice will choice to support red camp over the blue. As frustrating as that is, it's something I been witnessed to since I was a 7 yr old Ford fan watching the Moffat Coupes doing the Ford 1,2.

Can Ford change this with the marketing? Possibly, but it will require a paradigm shift in consumer thinking which takes a HUGE commitment to pull off. Apple managed to do it with iPOD and then again with the iPhone so it is possible. Difference is they were aiming for a global market, not just a local one. While I’m sure Ford Aus would love to be perceived as Australian’s favourite, making money and being profitable will always be the priority.

Colville
Old 30-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holdens publicists are obviously lobbying much harder to keep the good news flowing and doing a stellar job keeping the negative spin from reaching the mainstream media.

Ford on the other hand have what I would refer to as a reactionary management style which to Joe public will always appear to be on the back foot.

I for one would love to see Ford step up and push their products that much harder, end their left hand drive engineering 'focus' in the USA and give the world the hero cars that will give the brand the appeal it needs to compete with GM and their upcoming Camaro Juggernaut and with the legend Corvette nameplate.

Seeing the current mustang over here for a decent price would be a sure fire way to get the GEN X & Y's excited about owning a ford again. That and Ford Europes latest and greatest small car platforms.

Ford might be making some top shelf products today but there is old saying I use fair bit which can be applied in this scenario with Holden vs Ford marketing; "Bull*%$@ Baffles Brains, everytime"

Holdens go better anyone? (TIC)
calais is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Personally I'd rather a conservative Ford Australia than no Ford Australia at all. Holden's hero car efforts have largely been failures recently and the bottom line is that they wouldn't continue to exist without help from the Australian Government, particulary the South Australian one....$200 Million dollars line of taxpayer credit...

People have to realise that in order for a model to come out it has to be finiacially viable to do so. Camaro wasn't bought out here because it wasn't viable. Mustang wasn't bought out here because it wasn't viable. GTHO hasn't been built because it wasn't viable. The W427 shouldn't of been built because it wasn't viable. The Pontiac GTO was dropped because it wasnt viable.

I do think that if Ford Australia wanted to they could easily build up a nice GTHO by mating a supercharger onto the new V8 and keeping it below $90,000 or $100,000. Piggyback off of the Mustang so to speak.

GM in this country needs to go the way of the DODO before Ford surpasses it. GM is doing a good job currently with product development being halted and people being layed off.

Its all propaganda from Holden loyalists.

Last edited by Serial_Fool; 30-08-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Serial_Fool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

On Fox FM morning radio in Melbourne recently, Troy one of the DJ's expressed his desire to buy an XR8, Matt Tilley another DJ responded with : "Why would would you buy one of those American cars".

This is the kind of ignorance Ford face from the mainstream media.

Imagine if GM demanded Holden rename the company to General Motors or Chevrolet, how would that effect sales and brand perception ?
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, all the GM badges are disappearing from all GM cars... Probably because of negative perception with the whole bailout thing. I don't see how a bailout or bankruptcy changes whether a product is good or not. It just means they spent more than they are raking in. Which could mean they spent more than their competitors on R&D.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the publics' perception of Ford as a company is far from the truth, Ford australia has been designing and building the aussie falcon for longer than any other nameplate in australia (commodore for example) and if the Falcon was american it would come in a crate from the usa to be sold here, this isn't the case, there is no Ford Falcon in the usa they simply dont have it, likely because of the reason that it would compete with the american built Ford motor cars. If Ford Au pushed the historical relevance of the Falcon nameplate and that it has been designed and built here since before the commodore was even considered. Falcon outlasted the kingswood and the torana nameplates from the opposition, and furthermore raced them on the great mountain. Ford au is most definitely not an american company, it is an australian division of one which is running its own race so to speak. They do everything themselves not crate bits in from their parent company.

and while we are on the subject of national pride - who owns Kraft? yet nobody seems to care, why all this trash talking about cars when nobody cares about vegemite?? A little hypocritical no?

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #11
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
the publics' perception of Ford as a company is far from the truth, Ford australia has been designing and building the aussie falcon for longer than any other nameplate in australia (commodore for example) and if the Falcon was american it would come in a crate from the usa to be sold here, this isn't the case, there is no Ford Falcon in the usa they simply dont have it, likely because of the reason that it would compete with the american built Ford motor cars. If Ford Au pushed the historical relevance of the Falcon nameplate and that it has been designed and built here since before the commodore was even considered. Falcon outlasted the kingswood and the torana nameplates from the opposition, and furthermore raced them on the great mountain. Ford au is most definitely not an american company, it is an australian division of one which is running its own race so to speak. They do everything themselves not crate bits in from their parent company.

and while we are on the subject of national pride - who owns Kraft? yet nobody seems to care, why all this trash talking about cars when nobody cares about vegemite?? A little hypocritical no?
Except the original Falcons upto XY were designed in America...

Old 30-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #12
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just like the article in the daily paper the other day outlining that every car in the Holden line up will have a 5 star ANCAP safety rating, with a few mentions to other vehicles achieving the 5 star rating. Didn't surprise me one bit that the "Ford Falcon, first Australian built car to recieve 5 star rating" part was left out. But I bet on the contrary, if the article was in regards to Ford products, as soon as they could mention Commodore being awarded a 5 start rating they would do it. But thats how it is unfortunately, only advice for the new car buyer is to do the research instead of listen to the media and what your mate's sister's brother's aunty bought and how much they love it...
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #13
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
Its all down to perception, thats Ford's problem, everyone hates them for no reason.
Agree, and no matter what people stick to what they are told from the generation before. Toyota's have the label of reliable and affordable ie.Corolla & Holden the Aussie hero car taking on the big American companies, enter FoMoCo, I have to say though i dont think Ford is percieved to badly anymore like it was about 10 years ago. Also, however, i dont think their quite nailing marketing products.

How i wish i could be part of Ford's marketing team someday!
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 11:05 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
Lately I’ve been noticing a lot of negativity in the media around the Ford brand and products in general. Rather than point to a positive in a Ford announcement the spin is usually negative.

For example there are two stories from Cars Guide this week both around cars not being put into production in Australia.

1. Falcon GT-HO rebirth plans fade

This week in an interview Rod Barrett publically acknowledged that FPV would be introducing a new V8 in 2010. Instead of excitement over the announcement we got a doom and gloom story about FPV saying no to a GTHO revival. Also there is a point to HSV’s sales being higher, although no direct comparisons are made.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/new...th_plans_fade/

2. The born-again Chevrolet Camaro could come to Australia for as little as $35 million.

Here’s a feel good story about how little it’d cost to get Holden to bring a right hand drive Camaro into Australia. Of course no mention is made as to why the program was cancelled in the first place (i.e. GM’s Bankruptcy), or why it’s unlikely to happen in the short term (GMH can’t get finance to save its life and had to beg the Government for a line of credit). Just to add insult to injury “Carsguide will mount a campaign if enough readers get behind the car, and we're happy to pass the push to GM Holden's new chairman, Alan Batey.”.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/new..._a_lost_cause/

It’s not my intention to cry foul with this thread rather to correct some untruths and maybe expose some of this reporting for what it is.

Also, I’ve noticed that Ford Forums come up on many internet searches so it may be able to educate those looking for more ‘unbiased’ information.

Does anyone else have any more examples, or can right some wrongs on articles currently out there in the media?
Carsguide = Paul Gover.

Enough said.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2009, 12:16 AM   #15
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wish they'd put the G8 down to pure failure, rather than the 'ambitious sales venture that for some unknown reason did not succeed'.

Perhaps FPV don't want the GT-HO because the 427 was just a 'roaring success', just like the G8.

Anything in life is down to a point of view, and people want to believe their point of view, until they are proven wrong, but even then they may still stick to their beliefs.

I don't mind if other car companies including Holden are viewed positively, because they too are capable of producing decent vehicles.

However, I am just so sick of the negativity. Yeah, Ford isn't perfect, but they have some damn good cars, while for years Holden has been selling wonderful Korean boxes that despite being fairly ho-hum, have not exactly been criticised for it.

Holden means a lot to Australia...but Ford has played a far bigger role than people realise.

We should invite Gover to use Wikipedia and actually research.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #16
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default FPV revives Falcon GS nameplate

Here are a couple of cheap shots on the launch of FPV's GS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive
Unlike Holden’s recently-launched new Commodore V6 engine range, which increased power and decreased fuel consumption, the new FPV’s curtailed engine output of 13kW won’t deliver dividends at the petrol pump.
Comparing a Fleet hack to a Performance Vehicle, yeah that's a pretty sound analysis!

Quote:
It also plugs a $20,000 “walk” from the $47,990 Falcon XR8 to the $67,890 FPV GT.
Does this 'walk' not exist with Holden / HSV?

Quote:
Ford spokeswoman Sinead McAlary refused to comment whether the GS range would signal the demise of the XR8, the last remaining V8 in Ford’s mainstream range.
Have to get in some negativity around the future of the XR8 even though Ford has previously stated there are no plans for a change.

Quote:
Mr Barrett said he expected to sell the remaining GS range to buyers who were considering buying either an Falcon XR8 or the most logical Holden rival, the Commodore SS V.
Translation - It's no HSV.

In summary, rather than promote your new model we're going to denigrate it without even giving it a try. Thanks for another top read Drive.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=65206&vf=2
Old 31-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #17
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

People will read what they want to read.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #18
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and another thing why is it that the media keep trumpeting that the falcon drinks fuel like its going out of fashion, and how fuel efficient the commodores are,

and theres this?
http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2006...commodore-1489

a leaked Ford document on a forum I have never heard of then referenced by carsales? and its three year old, there has to be a thread on this here somewhere. anybody? and if not what the heck is this, the way that article is written - Ford claim x and Ford claim y, don't admit that its a better car now will you, careful there mr. reporter wouldn't want to appear unbiased now would you. And wouldn't want to actually go and do some legwork to find out if the claims are factual or not and report that...

Old 31-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #19
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

problem with these articles is that the writers are literally Keyboard warriors, They dont go out and drive these cars back to back or anything of the sort - Most likely they've always been holden supporters and are that redeyed they haven't a clue how to make an unbiased comment on anything.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #20
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Ford’s FPV Falcon GS will be popular, but it isn’t exactly an engineering marvel

Just realised I'd left off the best part. How's this for a Blog:

Quote:
Ford’s FPV Falcon GS will be popular, but it isn’t exactly an engineering marvel
http://blogs.drive.com.au/2009/08/fo...ill_be_po.html

Sometimes you just have to shake your head.
Old 31-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #21
jPod
Jp

Just a little more fuel to the fire. Remember Wheels COTY? When Falcon didn't win, and rather than have a cover that says "Accord Euro wins COTY", they had a picture of a commodore, and up the top there was a little picture of an F6, with "Why Falcon didn't win COTY" on it?

Any-one remember the complaint that the clutch in the turbo was too heavy? Well a little fact about that: ALL the cars Ford supplied to COTY were auto's. Not one single one was manual (unsure about FPV's, but the article clearly stated XR6T), yet somehow the clutch was too heavy in the ZF 6 speed Automatic transmission. Once they received hell from readers for the way that they paraded Fords loss rather than advertised Honda's win, also drawing parallels to the VE win, where the car clearly didn't deserve it, for most of the reasons that Wheels claim that Ford didn't, and were questioned as to why the Honda wasn't even on the front page, their reply simply confirmed that the Commodores on the front where because that is what sold magazines, and then they claimed that they don't put the picture of the COTY on the front... except that they did when VE won.

When questioned as to how the VE won, despite the appalling Omega being in the range, they simply replied that standards change... Yeah, i'm sure they changed so much in 2 years...

i know a guy who works at another non-Ford or Holden car company, and they use their last Wheels COTY throphy as a door-stop. That is how little respect Wheels has in the motoring industry.
jPod is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #22
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPod
Just a little more fuel to the fire. Remember Wheels COTY? When Falcon didn't win, and rather than have a cover that says "Accord Euro wins COTY", they had a picture of a commodore, and up the top there was a little picture of an F6, with "Why Falcon didn't win COTY" on it?
I remember well, the Falcon was judged against it's entire range (ie XT to FPV GT-E & all engine variants) while the Euro was judged on a two model range (one engine spec). They pretty much said if the only Falcon variant was a G6ET it would have won.
Old 31-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #23
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
and another thing why is it that the media keep trumpeting that the falcon drinks fuel like its going out of fashion, and how fuel efficient the commodores are,

and theres this?

a leaked Ford document on a forum I have never heard of then referenced by carsales? and its three year old, there has to be a thread on this here somewhere. anybody? and if not what the heck is this, the way that article is written - Ford claim x and Ford claim y, don't admit that its a better car now will you, careful there mr. reporter wouldn't want to appear unbiased now would you. And wouldn't want to actually go and do some legwork to find out if the claims are factual or not and report that...
I wonder if next week there'll be an update article "11 Reasons why the VE MY10 is now better than a BF Falcon".
Old 31-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #24
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
have to laugh at this statment
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #25
jPod
Jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
I remember well, the Falcon was judged against it's entire range (ie XT to FPV GT-E & all engine variants) while the Euro was judged on a two model range (one engine spec). They pretty much said if the only Falcon variant was a G6ET it would have won.
I've driven the entire range. It should have won anyway. The entry XT is a bit bland, but the driving dynamics, quality, and list of standard kit isn't half bad, but from G6 up, you enter a whole new world, defining what a good car is. I also remember them complaining about the trim in the XT being a bit pov, with too much grey plastic, and nothing to make you feel special. A few weeks later at the motor show, I managed to get a photo of a plastic fantastic interior... out of an Accord Euro. I also remember them complaining that in BA/BF, the interior in the XT was so nice, that Fairmont's didn't feel special any more... make up your mind!

Having said this, the interior in the Omega is about on par with the Korean rubbish they import, so how did this win?

No, in reality, they could sell more magazines if they keep the Holden fans happy and not let Ford win, than if they let Ford win. Last time Falcon won, BA, they lost so many subscriptions because of the Holden fans outcry, and then it happened again on a smaller scale with Tez. They won't let Ford win again, because they wouldn't want the truth getting in the way of their income.
Old 31-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #26
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:

and theres this?

That document was actually an email that went around the Ford office at the time.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #27
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Holden Commodore prices to rise

CarPoint can’t seem to help themselves but have a dig at Ford even when announcing a price rise for Commodore:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarPoint
All models -- sedans, wagons and utes -- will get convenience features such as auto-up power windows, while the Ute range will finally gain side and curtain airbags.
In the ute category, this will give Holden the upper hand compared with the Ford Falcon ute; the Falcon ute is available with side airbags and stability control but they are not standard on every model.
So how’s this an advantage? If you want it, tick the option box.
Quote:
This important safety update means the Commodore Ute will likely earn five stars in Australasian NCAP crash tests.
Are you sure? Holden has already announced the five star rating for the Sedan range, wouldn’t they have announced the utes at the same time. Good to see some healthy speculation though.
Quote:
Meanwhile, Holden is culling some models from its range. It is expected to drop the Omega manual ute, making it an auto-only proposition.
The previous Omega ute came with the high output V6 and six-speed manual transmission (the auto had the low-output V6), but it seems Holden didn't want to develop a manual version of the 3.0-litre V6 that will power the MY10 VE Omega.
So no manual 6-Cylinder ute for Holden then. No mention that Ford has the ‘advantage’ here. Holden didn’t want to develop it, nothing to do with the fact that they’ve got no funds to do so.

http://carpoint.com.au/news/2009/lar...-to-rise-16478

Last edited by R-Design; 01-09-2009 at 02:54 PM.
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #28
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:

and theres this?

you have never heard of LS1.com.au???
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #29
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
no I have not, the reason for this is I have come accross some other holden based forums and had a read, can't say I liked what I read, so I stopped reading, kind of like some automotive magazines ;)

Old 01-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #30
jPod
Jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
I'm with you, LS1.com.au is basically Holden fans equivalent of this Forum... don't go in personally but it is big.