Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-08-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Thumbs down Enviro-nazis tried to stop Rally Australia

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2009...hallenge-16454

Quote:
Riot squad and dogs on hand as rally set to roar
What surely was the last legal threat to the revival of Rally Australia next week in NSW's Northern Rivers area has been cleared, with the Federal Court in Sydney yesterday rejecting an application for an injunction to block the event running in the Tweed and Kyogle shires.

There are still threats of protests from environmental groups and the NSW police will have both riot and dog squads on hand, but these threats rarely amount to much when the crunch comes.

The Federal Court's Justice Stone found Tweed shire councilor Katie Milne's injunction application to be "without merit".

While we haven't seen the paperwork, we believe the thrust of the application was that the NSW government's approval of the event was unconstitutional and raising environmental and ecological issues. The way the NSW government approval was gained certainly was crafty -- getting Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) president Max Mosley to demand legislative sanction for the event, and none-too-subtly pointing out that the rally would not go ahead without such assurance.

The Gold Coast Bulletin newspaper reported this week that "thousands of protesters are expected to descend on the rally", which we doubt.

The No Rally group and 7th Generation have said they will stage peaceful protests, while a spokesman for Peacebus, Graeme Dunstan, reportedly -- in the Gold Coast Bulletin -- has threatened to light fires along the route so that drivers cannot see where they are going.

And indigenous group the Githabul nation is reported to have said "the rally will not go ahead" and that protesters will be bussed in from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

Rally Australia organising committee chairman Garry Connelly said after Justice Stone's decision: "We have always complied with all laws and have spent a lot of time and effort to achieve the highest environmental standards."

Rally Australia board chairman Alan Evans described Ms Milne's injunction application as "misconceived" and "an annoyance".

Said Evans: "The federal and state government environmental authorities have looked at all of this. If these people (objectors) had any confidence at all in their position they would have placed it before a judge months ago... Instead they have waited until the teams are on their way and thousands of people have made personal and financial commitments that cannot be undone before they launch their court proceedings.

"We are fully committed to running an environmentally responsible rally for the benefit of the people of the region and the sport."

Pretty well hidden from public view
For almost two decades until 2006 Rally Oz ran in Western Australia, in and around Perth.

It was widely regarded as one of the best, if not the best, run rallies in the world championship. The WA conditions were different to anything else in the WA, especially the ball bearing-like stones on the roads.

But from the very early days there were calls/moves for the event to be run on Australia's coast -- primarily to improve the national television audience, to bring it closer to the national bases of competing manufacturers, and to make it easier for those manufacturers to entertain corporate guests. Well now, at last, Rally Oz is on the east coast.

But is it going to work?

Firstly, we applaud -- again -- the notion of taking such a major motorsport event to an outlying area, in the same way as V8 Supercars this year took its show to Townsville, has gone to Darwin for years now, and includes Tasmania on its national calendar. But is Rally Oz going to work in the Northern Rivers, quite a distance from a capital city (Brisbane, across the border) and much, much further from Sydney and Melbourne -- and Canberra, a much smaller capital but a rallying stronghold. Our radar tells us that the revival of Rally Oz has not captured the imagination of the national, and particularly the east coast, sporting public... Probably, particularly because we're approaching football finals time.

And this Rally Oz is only going to be held every two years, rotating on the WRC calendar with New Zealand, whose round, incidentally, is to move back to Auckland in future.

While there will be some media activity next week in Sydney to try to create interest in the new Rally Oz, to date there has been little, indeed from our distant vantage point, next to no mainstream media exposure for it.

While it may make the evening TV news bulletins in the "big smoke" once the event is underway (Thursday September 3, until Sunday, September 6) there is no guarantee of that. Certainly TV news directors will be wanting to see spectacular footage from the Northern Rivers to warrant running anything on the rally.

As a contest it's a mega international event
The big plus with the revival of Rally Australia is that it brings to our shores the man who it could be argued is the best driver on earth today, France's five-time world rally champion Sebastien Loeb, and his now great rival, Finn Mikko Hirvonen.

On simple statistics, Loeb is the greatest driver in WRC history and, with Michael Schumacher retired from Formula One, has a record that compares more than favorably with the likes of Spain's dual F1 world champion Fernando Alonso or NASCAR's champion of the past three years, Jimmie Johnson.

So good is Loeb that he could switch to F1 in a flash if he wanted.

He has made it clear that his priority is to continue in rallying with Citroen, although just this week he has raised the prospect of racing in one or several grands prix next year when the schedules don't clash.

"Rather than constantly asking myself the question, 'What could I do in F1? I might as well give it a go. At least then I would be sure."

Loeb is one helluva driver -- and a magnetic personality. Yet, after winning the first rounds of this year's World Rally Championship, he now finds himself headed by Ford star Hirvonen -- 68 points to 65, with just two rounds remaining after Oz.

Either Loeb is going to become a six-time world champion or Hirvonen is going to join the list of Finnish rally greats.

Hirvonen has won three of the past four rounds and his Ford teammate and countryman Jari-Matti Latvala the other. In terms of a head-to-head motorsport battle it doesn't get any better than this tussle between Loeb and Hirvonen.

And this pair are just two of 27 international entries, along with 18 from Australia. The 45 cars, comprising seven brands, will have drivers representing 16 countries. So truly a major international event.

The great pity is that Australia's top rally driver, ex-factory Subaru driver Chris Atkinson, will be absent -- unable to land a drive in these difficult economic times.

Also missing is Australia's top young prospect Brendan Reeves, who is about to turn 21 but has been wearing a neck brace since a huge crash just 5km from the finish of the final round of the Australian Rally Championship in South Australia. Reeves co-driving sister, Rhiannon Smyth, is still nursing two broken legs.

Reeves had been the favorite among six young Asia-Pacific drivers, including three other Australians (Eli Evans, Glen Raymond and Nathan Quinn), to win a Pirelli-sponsored WRC drive and development program next year that, by some estimates, could be worth as much as $1 million.

There has been some good news on Australian representation in the new Rally Oz, however. Three-times Australian champion and three-times Asia-Pacific champion Cody Crocker will get to drive courtesy of Tasmanian rallying benefactor, Les Walkden.

Crocker and his regular co-driver Ben Atkinson, brother of Chris, will drive the Impreza that former touring car ace Tony Longhurst used in this year's Targa Tasmania. The Group N (production) car has been converted from tarmac to gravel specification and Crocker said it would have the differential and engine mapping settings from his Asian Impreza.

Crocker will test the WRX STi at a Rally Australia shakedown on Monday, with the event proper starting with a super special stage in the streets of Murwillumbah on Thursday night, followed by 35 special stages over three days comprising 340km of competition.

"It is important to have the best possible Australian representation at our round of the WRC, and Cody is the perfect man to have behind the wheel," Walkden said.

The contingent from the Australian championship is headed by reigning -- and now triple -- champions, husband and wife Simon and Sue Evans, in a privateer Mitsubishi Evolution Lancer and four-time national champions Neal Bates and Coral Taylor in a Super 2000 Toyota Corolla specially cleared to run in this WRC round.

The Bates entry has renewed Toyota support for this event, and a second similar S2000 Corolla from the Bates workshop will be driven by Queenslander Stewart Reid.
Greenie : DIAF.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
ryanstev

Quote:
threatened to light fires along the route
Incredible.
Old 29-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanstev
Incredible.
IF thats the case, he should be arrested, charged and treated as an arsonist (read; hung, drawn and quartered).

I still cant believe the backlash some of these events appear to cop, and the sensationalisation the media whips up too. Its a race through some national parks and forests, not through anyones front yards, and as far as I'm aware (correct me if im wrong) there isnt a special stage in the carpark of Lismore maccas either.

So why rallying is put up in lights as the worst kind of environmental vandalism is beyond me.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the words of yosemite sam:

OOH I HATE THOSE GREENIES
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Greenie groups want to stop the rally and indegenous groups want to bus in protestors from the major cities. That'll leave a nice big carbon footprint.

God damn greenies, who votes these muppets into office??

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Maybe they should chain themselves to tree's on the side of some of the stages as there is bound to be a crash. :togo:
Old 29-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bloody greenies are`nt wingeing while they are wiping there backside`s with paper from tree`s are they :jab:.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Whinging for the sake of whinging. Go work on pollution in 3rd world countries, they seem to be the biggest contributors to "climate change", not us.
Old 30-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Lighting fires would probably release more Co2 into the atmosphere than the whole rally's emmisions combined.

Greenies are definately not the smartest bunch. :
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #10
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Seriously these people are a waste of space.

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...0904-faqh.html

Quote:
Rock-throwing protesters halt WRC
ROBERT GRANT
September 4, 2009 - 12:04PM

Protesters halted the Australian round of the World Rally Championship on Friday after hurling rocks onto the course.

Drivers were forced to pull up at the end of stage five at Kyogle, south-west of Kingscliff on Friday while rally officials frantically tried to clear stage six.

Competitors were also confused after encountering people in the middle of the road waving yellow flags, unsure if they were officials or protesters.

The 'No Rally' and Peacebus groups have staged a campaign leading up to Rally Australia, condemning the event for disrupting the environment and scaring wildlife.

Rally organisers were considering skipping the stage and moving onto stage seven to try to circumvent problems.

Court action by protest groups to try to stop the event failed but local council workers have been kept busy cleaning up roads spray-painted with graffiti.

Five-times world champion Sebastien Loeb said he felt "sorry sometimes to be here but I have to".

"Some people don't like us in front of their house but I didn't ask to come here. I can understand why some people don't like the rally but I have to do my job," Loeb said.

Meanwhile, Jari-Matti Latvala in a Ford Focus is the early overall leader after five stages, with a slender 1.2 second advantage over the Citroen of Sebastien Ogier.

Loeb's Citroen was running third, one spot ahead of arch rival Mikko Hirvonen of Finland but the Frenchman reported he was not completely happy with his C4.

"I am not sure what is wrong with my car, it is not right," Loeb said.

"It is not a good feeling with the car."

Latvala maintained his buffer, despite an earlier problem and intermittent rain.

"I hit a hole on stage four and I have damaged the steering but at least I am not troubled by the rain," Latvala said.

© 2009 AAP
Old 04-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #11
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have no time for greenies at all.. They are a complete waste of space in governement.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #12
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
Greenie groups want to stop the rally and indegenous groups want to bus in protestors from the major cities. That'll leave a nice big carbon footprint.

God damn greenies, who votes these muppets into office??
Greenie groups want to stop the rally by starting fires along the route- that's so much unnecessary carbon emitted .....

Beautiful Photography Blog

2003 BA XT
IMPCO SVI - TYPHOON CAI +XR6T snorkel - K&N Panel Filter - DBA Slotties - Tint

1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

www.bseries.com.au/alecrain

Quote:
People that drive slower than ME are BAD DRIVERS,
People that drive faster are IDIOTS
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #13
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

We need to send Eric Cartman up there. He loves Hippies

Maybe the WRC event is endangering a Green Tree Frog. These Frogs seem to pop up at all prospective motorsport events, like Homebush.

Funny thing is with all this talk of starting fires. We have some greenies down the road from where we live and they were up in arms during the week, when we started hazard reductions on the mountain we live on.

Seems these Greenies can’t make up their minds.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #14
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the only reasons the greenies don't want the event is all the aerial coverage from the choppers might spot their crops lol.

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #15
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by xe351
the only reasons the greenies don't want the event is all the aerial coverage from the choppers might spot their crops lol.
Good one
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #16
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Well they did exactly the same here at our local rally!!!

The voice of the rally cars would disturb the environment and hurt the kangaroos ear and scare them. So they drove onto the course and blocked it.

You can imagine how happy everyone was........ :SaiyanSmi
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #17
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Idiots.

I bet they turned up in clapped out Mitsubishi L300's churning out Exxon Valdez levels of toxic smog.

It's not as if 200ha of virgin bushland was cleared for the Sebastian loeb to drill for oil and mine plutonium.

There are so many tools out there with a cause but no brain.

At least there are no 'celebrities' with them

Pamela Anderson for instance!

DUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #18
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by xe351

you, sir, are spot on !
Old 05-09-2009, 12:15 AM   #19
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehast13
Idiots.

I bet they turned up in clapped out Mitsubishi L300's churning out Exxon Valdez levels of toxic smog.
:togo: that would be so close to the mark that its not funny.

i did a bit of a road trip around the northern rivers area in may this year and i have never seen so many L300s and late`70s / early `80s volvo station wagons in the one area before.

and XE351 would be right about the concern about their vegetation being found.

its a great part of the country , just a shame about its population.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 11:33 AM   #20
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Maybe they should have left it in W.A, so angry it isn't here anymore.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #21
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
Maybe they should have left it in W.A, so angry it isn't here anymore.
You can blame former Mein Fuhrer Karpenter and his Gestapo for that one.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #22
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Greenies - Like watermellons, Green on the outside....Red on the inside.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #23
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

They're oxygen thieves and reeeealy need to get a life.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #24
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Last night I heard off a mate that the local windscreen blokes were run off their feet replacing windscreens in rally cars that had been smashed by golf clubs.
These idiots should be outlawed
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #25
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On my way to work down the goldy this morning, and heard on the radio that there might be some signs on the way to the event informing the event had been cancelled, but to ignore them because they had been placed by protestors.
Sure enough, i zipped passed one, then i spotted another up ahead so i stopped, got out, and thoughtfully removed the sign with my BOOT!
Continued on thinking i'd souvenir the next one, but the rozzers had beat me to it and thoughtfully done same!!! :
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #26
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice!

What is these peoples' main issue?

If the Govy had cleared a rainforest to make the tracks, then i could understand the concern.

So far, the only things to suffer are a couple of wheel tracks thru some native grass, and some poor blokes' letterbox!

I wonder what their fake signs were made out of?

There is nothing more dangerous than an idiot with a cause (except several idiots with a cause)
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #27
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Another silly point is that whenever there is a rally they go back and repair the road so 9/10 times the road ends up being in a BETTER condition that when they arrived and that other 1 time its in the same condition.

To me it personally makes no sense............I can not see a single justifiable reason for it (protesting).
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #28
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
Another silly point is that whenever there is a rally they go back and repair the road so 9/10 times the road ends up being in a BETTER condition that when they arrived and that other 1 time its in the same condition.

To me it personally makes no sense............I can not see a single justifiable reason for it (protesting).

They're having a sook because they couldn't get it banned. Even after the environmental report said that very little environmental damage would be caused.

Remember these 'people' know more then every one else, so no matter what other say, they are wrong or greed capitalist pigs.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #29
santb

i was there on a mates property on the track on stage 6..
all ready, beer and cameras at hand, saw 2 competitors cars after all the cops and officials and that was it..
had to listen to local news radio for 2 hours to find out about the rock throwing hippies ruining it for everyone...
what a bummer.
santb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #30
santb

[QUOTE=vztrt]They're having a sook because they couldn't get it banned. Even after the environmental report said that very little environmental damage would be caused.

yeah: on existing roads, thru no creeks, streams or waterways...
they are just fascists; the worst kind.
GET A JOB!
santb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post