Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What do we think of the new SHO
Where do I sign 11 23.91%
All SHO and no go 4 8.70%
Care factor Zero 31 67.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default 2010 Ford Taurus SHO - Road Test

"This twin-turbo V-6 is impressively responsive and whips up a meaty shove. But there’s simply nothing “eco” about endowing a two-ton Taurus with V-8 Mustang performance. We averaged 16 mpg"

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._test/(page)/1

Last edited by R-Design; 18-06-2009 at 03:53 PM.
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

-----

Last edited by R-Design; 18-06-2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: double post
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

doesn't sound very impressive, no exhaust or intake noise?, yes its fast but its too clinical, there's no fun factor at all.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Big, Heavy, Automatic and with FWD based AWD and weighs over 1800kg. Sure it might be quick in a straight line and sure footed in the wet, but cant see this behemoth handling.

Id much prefer a XR6T or G6E T thankyou very much, or if I was in the US the Pontiac G8.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Ok, maybe it's just me, I don't know. I am going to quote certain entries in that article and then either give my take on it or provide a "correction".

First of all, the date of the article is September 2009. Ok, so it's from the future.

Quote:
The reaction seems about right to us as the new Taurus is a massive, 8/7ths-scale car that’s more than half a foot taller than Ford’s first super-high-output version of its Taurus family sedan.
Ford's first SHO was a mid-sized sedan. The 2010 model is a full-sized sedan. Ford has not attempted to hide this.

Quote:
This latest SHO, which returns after a 10-year hiatus, has the same awkward proportions of the weird Outback sport-utility/sedan model that Subaru used to make, except that Ford’s tasteful design tries to hide the SUV-like size and succeeds.
Subaru still makes the Outback, they haven't discontinued it. But since he thinks they did we will compare the 2010 SHO with a 2006 Outback, perhaps the last year he may have thought it was built.....

Uuummm......ok, so it has 4 wheels like the SHO, but I fail to see the comparison.

As far as the SHO having an "...SUV-like size...", please......

As for how the Taurus got to its present size the author says...

Quote:
Possible explanation: After the Fusion came along to compete with the Taurus’s previous rivals, the Camry and the Accord, the pressure was off the Taurus to compete for mainstream family-sedan sales, and as a result, it bloated into obesity. And racked by the news that its big brother, the Crown Victoria, had become fleet-sales only, the Taurus continued to expand, to its current length of 202.9 inches.
Evidently he was not following Ford when the Taurus was discontinued due to sales and lack of retained value, and when Mulally became CEO he ordered the Five Hundred be named the Taurus just to keep the name in production and in front of the public due to the amount of brand recognition it had. He then ordered the Product Development Department to redesign the Five Hundred (now called Taurus) and come up, in 2 years, with the "coolest car" they ever designed to put the Taurus name on. The author didn't need a possible explanation, he only needed the facts.

And of course it weighs over 4,000 pounds.....its a full-sized car like the Crown vic.

Quote:
Power delivery is impressively immediate and like a small-block V-8’s; a high static compression ratio of 10.0:1 helps eliminate any feeling of turbo lag.

The two smaller turbos that spool up much faster than one larger turbo is what helps eliminate turbo lag. The higher compression enables more power. Tricky with a turbo'd engine, especially with "regular" gas instead of premium.

Quote:
...except perhaps our as-tested fuel economy of 16 mpg. Even at a steady 80 mph, our Taurus had trouble topping 20 mpg.

And how were they "test driving" this factory hotrod? Not like a daily driver I would imagine. There is only one road in one State where you can drive a "steady 80 mph" legally. Most other States limit you to 65 mph and a few to 70 mph. Perhaps if he cruised at a legal speed (where the EPA establishes ratings) he could have done better, and also not punching it on the acceleration ramp to the highway ( I know I do this with my wife's 1966 Mustang with the 331 stroker I built for her).

Quote:
But the 133-mph governed top speed—that’s 10 mph lower than the 1989 original’s—is a major clue that this car wasn’t designed with the autobahn in mind.
He's right, the Autobahn is in Germany, the SHO is in the US. : It's a family, four door, full-sized sedan. The Crown Vic Police Interceptor is limited to 128 mph, so you can still outrun the cops.....as if you are going to get away.... How fast does the author want the car to be able to go? Its a fast (acceleration), fun version of the Taurus, not a purpose built, top speed car like a Corvette.

Quote:
While the engine’s ability to move the SHO through space is hard to fault, the intake and exhaust tracts seem to have taken the credo, “silence is golden,” too seriously. Even when revved toward the 6200-rpm redline, the intake and exhaust systems emit only the briefest of snarls. Few noises of any kind permeate the SHO’s double-pane front glass and acoustically treated windshield glass. If it weren’t for the constantly changing scenery, you’d almost never know the SHO was in motion. Suspension noise is almost nonexistent, and the sturdy structure is imperturbable. The measured 70 decibels at 70 mph was a surprise, as the SHO seems dead silent. Trust us, there isn’t enough ambient noise to hide even the daintiest flatulence.

I saw a video at work (Ford) where a SHO was being test driven. Alan Mulally told his Engineers the SHO had to growl, and the driver of the car in the video gave it the pedal and you would not think it had less than a V8 under the hood. I can't remember if the driver's window was open or not.

I'm going to end this here as it is plenty long enough. I think I've made my point and don't need to waste anymore of anyone else's time.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well posted Steve

it would be good to see that sort of info actually put into print in one of the big magasines or news papers

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Thanks Jason. Since I am just another schmuck I won't be able to get any of that in print, but at least I can inform the members here.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 24-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Steve I think they might have been referring to the sedan version of the Subaru Outback that was sold for a while. Perhaps it is the high belt line & bonnet (pedestrian safety driven?) that makes the car look "bulky" & the black plastic skirts don't quite disguise it. In any case a taller-format layout makes sense, smaller cars have been doing it for years so for large car to offer more effective interior room than a midsize, & justify their existence, they need to do the same even if it doesn't do great things for "sportiness".
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Ah you gotta love the Seppo's... the only country where you can buy a 2010 car in 2009!
Old 24-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #10
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a look at this thing a little while ago, there are styling cues similar to the fg in its design. maybe its a taste of things to come or something horrible haha fwd for us pass...

Felcen!
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #11
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Car and driver has s*at on Ford for years with highly biased articles. Pretty rare for them to have anything positive to say really.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #12
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

This is what Left Lane News had to say

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-tau...-review-2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftlane’s bottom line
With enough technology to make Bill Gates’ eyes roll up into his head, the SHO will satisfy the geek in all of us. With all-wheel-drive standard, and weighing in at about 4,400 pounds, the SHO definitely won’t be chirping the wheels like a little sports car. But you will be rewarded with a great driving and riding experience that makes the daily commute to and from the office more than interesting.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #13
shakows

I think it could be a lot worse, if this replaces the Falcon

I'm sure a XR model, could make it a little more RWD biased and a throatier exhaust, and some more aggresive styling
shakows is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #14
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can some one translate all these feet inches ponds and horsepowers, cubits and spans to real numbers?

How does this car compare in size, interior, performance etc to our beloved Falcon?

Is it directly equivalent, a touch bigger or smaller?
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #15
FPV70

If that was RWD, I would get one but if it were a choice between that or a Falcon, then Falcon wins hands down.

None the less, it looks nice.
Old 25-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #16
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Ford 2010 Taurus 3.5LTT
365hp (272Kw), 350ft/lb (474Nm)

Ford 2009 Falcon XR6T
270Kw (362hp), 533Nm (393 ft/lb)

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 10:42 PM   #17
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia Chaser
Ford 2010 Taurus 3.5LTT

Ford 2009 Falcon XR6T
Then i'll be sticking with the 6T :evil3:
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2009, 03:26 AM   #18
cm335

fellas compare that to any 4 door sedan that america has designed in the last 10-15 years then talk to me. its actually not ugly for once.
cm335 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #19
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Ah you gotta love the Seppo's... the only country where you can buy a 2010 car in 2009!

You're just jealous because we can go forward in time and bring things back! :

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 27-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #20
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia Chaser
Ford 2010 Taurus 3.5LTT

Ford 2009 Falcon XR6T

If given the opportunity I would take the Falcon over the Taurus as well, but that opportunity does not exist. Looking at the competition here in the States the Taurus can stand pretty well on its own.

I would much rather have the XR6T engine though.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 28-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #21
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
You're just jealous because we can go forward in time and bring things back! :
Haha, nice one Steve.

If I'd never heard of a G6ET, you could put me down for an SHO.

Remember we love to hear your insights from the USA here.
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #22
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watto_Cobra
Haha, nice one Steve.

If I'd never heard of a G6ET, you could put me down for an SHO.

Remember we love to hear your insights from the USA here.

Hey, I love to laugh and I can laugh at my own expense at times too, as long as I get to laugh. : Like I always tell my wife, as long as I am amused, that's what counts.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!