Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Another win for Holden that they didn't want

http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...61-462,00.html

Old 10-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
Wally
XP Coupe

That's a bit like bragging Richmond are better than Melbourne... neither are kicking goals.

Customer satisfaction surveys have a tenuous influence on sales.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But people still buy them !!!!!
Old 10-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So all the makers range from 7.2/10 to 7.8/10.

Not much in it really.
Ducati888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of Ford service departments will be very bitter about this loss to Holden. Certainly not due to a lack of effort on their part. Only the other day they came at the bottom of the pile in a choice survey.

Put another way... There but by the grace of Holden goes Ford.

Not a race that Ford should be competing with Holden in - but it does.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 10-06-2009 at 01:56 PM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a bit off topic but did anyone else read this article linked off the first article

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-13232,00.html

these guys seem to be morons if you ask me. How about supporting Australian cars instead of slagging them off. Also putting a pic of an R8 and FPV with an article relating to Calais and G6E doesnt help there case :
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Pretty dissapointing verdict from the Australian article ea90gl posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Australianl
DRIVING these cars back-to-back showed just how close they are. Despite being the newer model and having a few more modern features, the Ford has nothing on the Holden.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 03:48 AM   #8
ChemicalHorizon

Whoever wrote that article is terribad. They cant seem to decide if they are good cars or bad cars, its whisshy wasshy crap.
ChemicalHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 04:49 AM   #9
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

The writers of that australian article are as wrong as they are inept. Moving on the from the entire tone of the article (which was really an opinion piece justified by the presence of some pretty inane driving impressions), the factual basis of the document is pretty thin.

The authors note that you can hardly tell the difference between the two in terms of acceleration...ah yes you can. In fact auto commodores are UP TO A SECOND slower than comarable falcons to 100km/h. They say, power delivery aside (and this would only help the falcon) seat of the pants impressions are accurate from as little as 0.2 of a second. Certainly most people can tell by teh time you get to 1 second!!! As for the GM 5speed auto being better at highway shifting than the ZF 6 speed...since when has that gearbox been better in ANY SINGLE AREA than the Ford box. It can't even match our 5 speed!!!

Other points made rather obviously show an anti-local product bias. References to interior build quality is one area....anyone who thinks an FG is 'noticeably' more poorly built than most of its japanese competitors is crazy. Sure upon close inspection it might be a slight bit worse...but this depends on which models you are comparing. Certainly nowhere near enough to bother putting the lower sales of large cars at the feet of 'poor interior trim'. If that was the case why do Hyundais sell so well (they have improved but certainly are not better build inside than an FG....).

Plus there is the old 'uneven boot floor' chestnut. What a crock of .... . Who cares anyway, if you don't buy an FG because of that you deserve to drive a camry LOL! How that saves Ford money i'll be damned, though apparently the authors think it does....

The problem with these stories is not the misleading points made about the cars, though that certainly doesn't help. Its the 'dinosaur' references. Ford and Holden have invested alot of effort and money in making truly world class cars. Yes the 'consumer reports' (getting back on topic) aren't great...but that takes in a whole range of other areas of the buying process (like the dealers....) and i dont' put much value on them anyway. Dollar for dollar they are great value...but they are also great cars and if your needs require a large car, you should consider them. Not because their local, or even because they are well priced, but because they are damn good. Despite what these tools think.....
:

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 08:51 AM   #10
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Makes you wonder why Australian's have such a low opinion of locally built product? What do Ford and Holden have to do to ensure they no longer are "dinosaur" companies???
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in last 15 years i had/have 2 commodores and 2 falcons. 1 corrolla. in the whole time i had the corrolla (9 years) all that actually broke was the plastic lug holding onto the door open mechanism. it cost me $2.00 at toyota dealership to buy and they fitted it for nothing.

both my falcons leaked more oil than the EXXON tanker and both commodore have/had heaps of electraical glitches.....including current VE......

my corrola was made in australia so why didint that leak and have any other probs?
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #12
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-13232,00.html

That seems like a fair article to me, summarises the main points to the lowest common denominator who have no idea about cars and don't care what flavour they come in general newspaper reader type individual to which the article is aimed at.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #13
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"There are other signs of the money running out, such as the fitment of only two fixed rear headrests."

not sure why that matters at all? picking any little thing to about

"Blindfolded passengers in the G6E who have ridden in the Blue Oval's high-mileage taxis will immediately identify the Falcon. The raucous bellow of the G6E's soundtrack is overlaid by an unfortunate transmission whine"

nice little dig and completely unnecessary, we have a 6sp FG and there is no whine at all
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #14
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna
in last 15 years i had/have 2 commodores and 2 falcons. 1 corrolla. in the whole time i had the corrolla (9 years) all that actually broke was the plastic lug holding onto the door open mechanism. it cost me $2.00 at toyota dealership to buy and they fitted it for nothing.

both my falcons leaked more oil than the EXXON tanker and both commodore have/had heaps of electraical glitches.....including current VE......

my corrola was made in australia so why didint that leak and have any other probs?
Look's like you answered my question, the quality on local cars still is terrible. For every person that has had a great experience from buying their car through to owning it (me), there are 5 other people who have had a bad experience with Ford in some way or other. The problem is, can Ford fix all the problems that still seem to plague local car builders ( not including Toyota )???
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #15
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Swordsman88, i'm 100% with you. It's a heap of crap article written by someone with little knowledge. Unoftunately, most people have no knowledge and will take this as gospel.

Very little was made of the fact that Falcon used 10.2L versus Commodore 11.2L.

No difference in acceleration? WTF?

The 5spd GMH is better than the world reknowned and once luxury car only ZF 6spd? No way.

The Falcon i6 isn't refined? Wheels compared it favourably (but not better than) BMW 6's...

The change in shape in the boot floor of Falcon can be useful. ie briefcases, manoevring goods into and out of the boot. What about the split fold rear seat? I use that on my Falcon on a regular basis.

The description of the crash test results highlights the Falcon's prowess, but the way it was written, suggests that it needs 6 airbags to get that result. It didn't, it was with 4 airbags. Ie Falcon is safer (scored higher) with 4 air bags compared to C'dore with 6 airbags...

Rrrrrr.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 04:11 PM   #16
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

It is amazing how people read things so differently when they have blinkers on....
Old 11-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #17
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
It is amazing how people read things so differently when they have blinkers on....
Then maybe you should try taking them off?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #18
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

apart form the XF days (when ford could do nothing wrong and had 23% of market) the falcon has had an ongoing image problem against the commodore. Even though many falcon models may have had technical superiority over eqivalent holden model.

marketing dept to blame?
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #19
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Look's like you answered my question, the quality on local cars still is terrible. For every person that has had a great experience from buying their car through to owning it (me), there are 5 other people who have had a bad experience with Ford in some way or other. The problem is, can Ford fix all the problems that still seem to plague local car builders ( not including Toyota )???
Well if we look at that graph Mazda and Honda would be the only cars you would wanna buy as they were above the average.
Toyota and Holden seems to have slipped the most out of the car makes, and the Koreans are making the best inroads.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #20
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Makes you wonder why Australian's have such a low opinion of locally built product? What do Ford and Holden have to do to ensure they no longer are "dinosaur" companies???

Well having the near on same motor for so many years might be a factor, bad memories of previous products with the same name....

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #21
mcnews
Trev

That is an excellent point. If Joe Average last drove an XF or EA he is probably not all that likely to think that the current Aussie sedans can hold a candle to the better imported stuff.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:15 PM   #22
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanna
in last 15 years i had/have 2 commodores and 2 falcons. 1 corolla. in the whole time i had the corolla (9 years) all that actually broke was the plastic lug holding onto the door open mechanism. it cost me $2.00 at toyota dealership to buy and they fitted it for nothing.

both my falcons leaked more oil than the EXXON tanker and both commodore have/had heaps of electrical glitches.....including current VE......

my corolla was made in australia so why don't that leak and have any other probs?
I have all three of them too..
The corolla didn't last long pulling the boat / caravan up to Brooklyn..
While the other two though had their minor issues did what I wanted..
When using the Toyota towing the caravan its brakes didn't work.. The other two cars had no issues ..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #23
The Snout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna

Had a Camry and had the same experience. The Camry went 360K before getting rid of it and it just needed a change of leads, $90 at the time.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #24
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
That is an excellent point. If Joe Average last drove an XF or EA he is probably not all that likely to think that the current Aussie sedans can hold a candle to the better imported stuff.
I think you can expand on that a bit:

If there are "X" amount of cars on the road and "Y" amount of new sales per annum and new car buyers tend to rollover every 4 years, then people driving obsolete cars "Z" is roughly

Z = X- 4Y.

A large proportion of Z is the previous 4Y discards.

It would be interesting to know how many Z owners are asked their opinion in surveys or in fact are most vocal about their opinions. I know from my experience every new car I buy is better than the last. To my mind satisfaction surveys should be based on current model usage, not on future or historical purchase decision bias.

And lets face it there are really only three large cars in Oz and the Toyota is not a looker by any stretch; more suited to the beige population. If only 10% of new car sales are Falcon and Commodores, there must have been a fairly small sample canvassed and who's to know they didn't survey some AFF members who bagged out the Holden and some LS1 members who returned the favour?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 09:51 AM   #25
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Philip King and Philip Lord wrote the article (Phill-up each other more like it) and they both know as much about cars as they do about women. These two jokers both drive hybrids and are convinced that man has caused global warming....err, global cooling.... err, climate change. Most of their article (they must have enjoyed writing it together whilst sniffing their own flatulence in a cloud of smug - see South Park) is patently false and riddled with errors.
ZF gearbox whine? WTF?
I bet if someone told the two phill-em-ups that the gearbox was used in their much vaunted European marquees then they would have loved it. Face it, most of the motoring journalist fraternity are a bunch of pretentious twats.

Quote: