Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Default Buying a new car

So my Ed is just costing too much these days, I am looking at an 03 Sportivo, 80,000km, V6 electric windows and mirrors, climate and cruise control, body kit etc. $15,000.

Then today I came across a 2005 XR6 with 45,000km for 17,990. Problem is I like the camry alot and I do not think my funds will allow for the XR6. Unless I could get it for 15,990. My budget is 75pw repayments.

Does anyone here know how much finance I can get for $75pw? I like the sportivo alot but to get th XR6 would be awesome as I always said as a boy one day I will have an XR6/8.

Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Check prices of a Fairmont or equivalent model ??
Cheaper to buy and insure.. Better features imo..
Less cop bait..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
EBII Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
Does anyone here know how much finance I can get for $75pw? I like the sportivo alot but to get th XR6 would be awesome as I always said as a boy one day I will have an XR6/8.

About $16500 @ 7.55% for 5 years.
EBII Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBII Ghia
About $16500 @ 7.55% for 5 years.
Where did you find a personal loan today at 7.55% ??

Here's a screenshot of a calculation from a bank at today's rate of 13.99% for an unsecured personal loan over 5 years .... looks like the original poster can afford to borrow about $13,000 on these calculations.

robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if the ED is costing too much, why buy a more expensive car??
rag top is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would be budgeting for about $12-$14000 on those repayments. RACV offer good rates on secured loans on used cars. See if you can find a low k BF XT for that money, they are reliable and are also full of features and reasonably good on fuel.
Old 31-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

If it was me and I had to choose between a camry and an XR6 well no competition. My philosophy nowdays on buying cars is buy something you like and something that will have a bit of resale value when you move it on. IMO an XR will have more appeal and value in 5 years than a boring camry.

From your OP you really want an XR so why buy a camry with a body kit? save a little more money and get the car that you really want rather than making payments for years on a car that you have fallen out of love with.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag top
if the ED is costing too much, why buy a more expensive car??
Because I am pouring my money into an endless pit that is worth less than my kit kat chunky I got last night. I could list the issues but it would make a book.

Trans is stuffed, Top end noise (I have spent 2000 and still not got rid of it), holes in the underside of the sill panels, central locking not working etc etc.
Old 31-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv84d
If it was me and I had to choose between a camry and an XR6 well no competition. My philosophy nowdays on buying cars is buy something you like and something that will have a bit of resale value when you move it on. IMO an XR will have more appeal and value in 5 years than a boring camry.

From your OP you really want an XR so why buy a camry with a body kit? save a little more money and get the car that you really want rather than making payments for years on a car that you have fallen out of love with.

Don't get me wrong I like the camry and unfortunately it has good points over the falcon. One of which is fuel economy. However I love falcons but sitting down last night it would be cheaper for me to run the camry. We do have an immaculate 94 Excel Sprint with only 150k on the clock which I was hoping to stretch to 1500 as trade in. Depends how bad they need my business I guess.

It is bloody hard because I do like the camry and it is cheaper to run, but my heart is telling me I want the falcon. We will see I am sposed to be taking the camry for a good run next week and I should organise to take the XR6 out.

arghhhhhhh
Old 31-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #10
Lightning Strike XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Financing a car is not really a money wise option either.

www.bseries.com.au/04xr6

Buying or Selling property in Melbourne PM me!
Lightning Strike XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #11
XC-351

dont like the finance idea, but if your keen on an xr6 have a look at auction, dont know about your location but here in melb last week i seen a mint stock xr6 turbo the acid colour, with under 100 000km sell for 15k so id say you will find a xr6 cheaper
Old 31-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
escapin

if u have an excel why not drive that into the ground, and then save the 75 a week and buy a car when the excel dies. and if it is in good nick u will get a few more years out of it. its alot cheaper on fuel.

hate to say it but some times u have to follow ur head not ur heart when it comes to money and cars.
escapin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #13
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

You should comfortably pick up a 2004+ XR6 for around 15K, see 1 example below

http://www.pickles.com.au/cars/vehic...otid-852047432

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #14
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapin
if u have an excel why not drive that into the ground, and then save the 75 a week and buy a car when the excel dies. and if it is in good nick u will get a few more years out of it. its alot cheaper on fuel.

hate to say it but some times u have to follow ur head not ur heart when it comes to money and cars.
it is a 3 door, we have a 3yr old girl and a 2month old boy, ram does not even fit in the boot. Not a very practical car and the ED is costing me a fortune just to keep going from A-B so for me this is necessary debt. Oh and as for following my head not heart I hear that, I am pretty well going to stick with the camry. Cheaper to insure, fuel, tyres etc.

Also have not figured out what to do with the ED.
Old 31-05-2009, 05:38 PM   #15
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Why not save a bit and get an AU XR, can pick up a good AU XR6 for around 10g these days
Old 31-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #16
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
Why not save a bit and get an AU XR, can pick up a good AU XR6 for around 10g these days

There was actually a 98 XR6 with 151 on the clock for 9000. We have decided that saving would of been fine if the ED didn't keep causing greif. I was going to throw 3000 at the thing and keep going for a year but decided it would just be money wasted.
Old 31-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #17
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

well you have already made the decision to ditch the ED so thats half the job done. Personaly I would find a older car that is in mint condition and stick with that. You then get your budget under control and your reliability. Find a mint AU or even EL XR6 with low kms for well under 10k. Then if you have to finance it your repayments could be like $50 a week. I bought a EL XR6 2 years ago and havent had 1 drama with it, goes like stink too
Old 31-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Should be easy to get an SR for 15 kay, which is a hell of alot better then a Camry sportivo!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #19
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not trying to be a smartypants here but just want to say that if you drive both the xr6 and the camry I cannot imagine you wanting to buy the camry.

With cars I usually have a 'plan', this includes scenarios if the car is worth x amount on the market and I could possibly have to spend x amount to fix it then if I am to keep it then I should keep it for x years etc etc, or do I sell it now etc.

What I am trying to say in a long winded way is that taking into account what you have already spent is it worth spending more if you can then drive your ed for another 3 years or whatever. The piont is while 1000's spent on repairs may sound bad your ed is finished depreciating while whatever you buy may still have plenty to come, so its depreciation and interest on the loan can be compared to spreading the repair costs over some years while saving for your next car and avoiding/minimising finance.

I have no idea if anyone will have a clue what i am trying to say.... sorry I tried

Cheers

Craig
stockel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #20
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Istead of opening a new thread I will put this here. So today I apllied for finance for the camry and signed initial paperwork to secure the car whilst finance is sorted. We will sell the excel privately and even with my falcons issues someone is interested to give me 1000 for it. Anyway 5 mins ago I realised I never ****ing tried my luck at lowering the price. God I am a fool I shouldn't be paying the asking price. Arghhhh how stupid could I have been. It didn't help my 3 yr old was taking alot of my attention but I did make sure there was a clause stating if I do not agree with the finance I will walk no obligation.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:39 PM   #21
MickyG
76 Fal Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockel
I'm not trying to be a smartypants here but just want to say that if you drive both the xr6 and the camry I cannot imagine you wanting to buy the camry.

With cars I usually have a 'plan', this includes scenarios if the car is worth x amount on the market and I could possibly have to spend x amount to fix it then if I am to keep it then I should keep it for x years etc etc, or do I sell it now etc.

What I am trying to say in a long winded way is that taking into account what you have already spent is it worth spending more if you can then drive your ed for another 3 years or whatever. The piont is while 1000's spent on repairs may sound bad your ed is finished depreciating while whatever you buy may still have plenty to come, so its depreciation and interest on the loan can be compared to spreading the repair costs over some years while saving for your next car and avoiding/minimising finance.

I have no idea if anyone will have a clue what i am trying to say.... sorry I tried

Cheers

Craig
I understood it I just wished I knew that a long time ago. Makes sense, now I am sticking with cars that go up in value not down, wife still likes the depreciationg ones though.

Will be asking alot of questions as Lego is beyond me!
MickyG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 12:22 AM   #22
EgoFalcon
The Villan

If I were getting another car, would buy it at auctions 2003 15? 2007 might go for that price and i got my 2007 bf xr6, almost fully optioned for 17 grand, try manheim fowles (where i got mine) and pickles auctions.
http://www.pickles.com.au/cars/
http://www.manheimfowles.com.au/

The PX Ranger has arrived! XLT Metropolitean Grey

Previous Ride - 2007 BF MK II XR6 in Lightning Strike
EgoFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #23
Spudz27
Call me Spud

So I got the camry.