Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Scared – what do you do?

We all feel in best when we are behind the wheel driving, but what are you like when you are a passenger, and the driver is making you uncomfortable, you feel in danger. They may be tailgating at high speed, not watching the road, changing lanes dangerously, etc. this person may be your best mate, workmate, wife, g/friend, relative etc. Do you keep your mouth shut and hold on tight, or do you say something?

FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Say something - its your mate g/friend relative etc, if they are good about it they will take your comments on board and who knows you may save a life

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
Paddyboy

This is a tough one, coz obviously the answer is to say something, but its not always easy, coz some people are insecure about their driving and can take it that your calling them a bad driver. If they are driving dangerously deliberately to show off then I definetly say something. But if its their normal day to day driving that freaks you out then its tough, I lost my liscence about 2 years ago for 3 months and got my gf to drive me around everywhere and she drives crazy, I had to tell her about it and it got bad, like we would fight everytime we got in the car, haha. All good now though but I know how you feel.
Old 27-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tell them 'if you dont slow down, can you please stop and ill get out'
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
stippa

Yea just go off at the person if they are driving stupid for no reason.. I have been in 2 car accidents that were not my fault and i really never want to experience it again. as above i either tell the person to drive normally or I will get out
stippa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

If it's wifey I'll go off, if it's a mate I'll more than likely say something.

If it's a person other than wifey who makes a habit of driving like that, I'll just boycott going in their car if the behaviour continues.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Easy, man up and tell them to stop acting like a clown.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Tell them 'if you dont slow down, can you please stop and ill get out'
Yep, done it a few times.. avoided being involved in a nasty accident by doing it once too.

Old 27-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Yeah, dont stay silent! The only time I didnt say something and a mate was driving stupidly, he wrapped his 2 week old XY GTHO replica round a big tree. Since then I have always said something!

Even when I get grief for it. At least they back off a bit.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #10
MickyG
76 Fal Coupe

Yep when mates are driving like dicks and I tell them to slow down the first thing they say is 'Are you Scared' my reply is that I have a great fear of not being able to use my legs again and shitting into a nappy for the rest of my life so yes I am very scared.

Will be asking alot of questions as Lego is beyond me!
MickyG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 12:03 PM   #11
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

My mate is a shocking driver, foot to the floor everywhere, lane swaps, etc etc. I now flat out refuse to get in a car with him at the wheel. And I still think to this day he is gonna have a big crash and kill someone innocent and walk away scott free.

Like RG said, man up and just tell them. If they don't like what you have to say, then let them deal with that.

I myself, only drive harder at times when I am by myself in the car. My mates and g/friend say I'm a grandpa behind the wheel. Told the missus straight up I drive like that because I don't wanna risk her safety.

Comes down to the individual at the wheel I spose...

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #12
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
I myself, only drive harder at times when I am by myself in the car. My mates and g/friend say I'm a grandpa behind the wheel. Told the missus straight up I drive like that because I don't wanna risk her safety.

Comes down to the individual at the wheel I spose...
I agree. If I am driving and there is someone else in the car, or other cars/pedestrians/bikes/whatever are around me then I am responsible for their safety, so I grandpa it up.

If I'm alone and nobody else is around, I'll sometimes push the boundaries. If I screw up and hurt myself, well, I only have myself to blame.

I can think of nothing worse than maiming or killing someone and having to live with the fact that that person's life (or that of their loved ones) will never be the same again.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of my best mates for last 20 years is NATURAL tailgater. I have had 2 accidents with him as passenger. once I told him ‘you will hit the car in front’..he laughed, and then hit him. Another time he hit a tree with me (wasn’t tailgating that time!!!) because it was wet and didn’t drive to conditions. Lucky both times was at slow speeds. He has bought many cars and all were in good nick when he got em.

HQ - dented
XA - dented
Mazda 929 - dented
Mazda 626 – dented badly (tree car)
Toyota Van - dented
Corrolla - dented
AU - XR6 (3 weeks old) see how long this lasts without a dent.
FG XR6 (son)
Old 27-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #14
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The wife is always telling me what to do.
Old 27-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #15
BlackLS
yum

"Slow down I feel sick" and "Don't lose your licence" work well.

Although the ones I feel scared with are usually the ones that don't speed.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 12:47 PM   #16
Nappa
Impressive...

I've been in that position a few times. when i was younger and before I started in the car business i never used to say anything, just grit my teeth and pray we'd make it to our destination. Now days i will say something, however i always try not act like i'm scolding them, just a gentle reminder to take it easy, or whats the rush.

Luckily i won my GF's daily driver so I dont hesitate to tell her off if I dont like the way she is driving my car.
Old 27-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #17
james22
With da Warlords

^^^ lol, yeah anyone that cares about their car will slow down for the "I feel sick line", cause they dont want to clean up a mess. Strange thing though, they are just as happy to put the car into a tree causing a lot more headache, money, time etc.... got me buggered

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #18
TZH
Only have the small Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Easy, man up and tell them to stop acting like a clown.
lol,this is funny.
Old 27-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #19
F6T
Has V8 envy

My wife has no trouble telling me how to drive. But if she is feeling uncomfortable then obviously, I listen. She's good insurance for me in terms of being able to keep my licence. I simply don't break speed limits or go unexpected WOT with her in the car.

For me, it depends alot on the driver. My best mate and another forum member on here I'm mates with have never made me feel uncomfortable when I'm a passenger with them and some spritited driving is happening. That's because I have complete faith in their abilities (both can seriously drive).

On the other hand, my brother is an accident waiting to happen. He tailgates, speeds, overtakes in ridiculous places, is verbally aggro at the wheel, impatient and seriously overestimates his abilities. With him, I am right on the jesus bar and telling him to slow down before he kills us both. This usually makes him angrier though! He doesn't slow down either for my parents whenver they get a lift with him. My parents pull over to let MTT buses pass them!

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #20
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm forever telling the missus to back off from the car in front.

One day she comes home and tells me she didn't hear her phone ringing (she uses hands free) because she was listening to her iPod :

That was the last time THAT happened...

I also have no qualms in winding down my window and telling the person on their phone in the car beside me that it may not be themselves that they kill - it could be someone else's kid. That normally get's them thinking...
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #21
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it may sound silly, but if i am feeling insecure as passenger, i roll the seat back as far as it will go and recline it more than normal, then i pull down the sun visor so that if we have an accident there may be a chance of a softer 'blow' instead of hitting the glass. sometimes you can get stuck with a person that if you tell em to slow down...they speed up.
FG XR6 (son)
Old 27-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #22
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can be a nervous passenger with someone I haven't been in a car with before and if they are driving iracticaly (spelling) i sure as hell tell them to take it easy and watch what they're doing, but i've also got mates that i'll let do whatever coz I trust them, after years of being in a car with them doing stupid stuff. (offroad of course)
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #23
nutter_x
Nange Road Warrior

My brother is a shocker for driving at his cars limits, and it's the first thing everyone notices when they get in the car with him. Unfortunately he inherited Mum's stubborness, so he can't be told anything. Hell, I can even remeber on his L's, I took him out for a lesson, he didn't indicate around a corner and I pulled him up for it, he turned around and said "I'm driving, don't tell me what to do". ON HIS L'S, TO HIS SUPERVISING DRIVER :togo:

As for me, well, on my own I drive how I want, with mates I tone it down quite a bit, and with any of the girls or relos I baby the car everywhere, and if I'm going to drive aggressively everyone is warned well and truly before.
T2 TE50 #082 in Galaxy Blue

• ESS Auto • Twin 2.5" Stainless Steel Exhaust by Manta • Premium Brakes • 18" Azzuros • Premium Sound • K&N Filter •

1985 XF Falcon GL

• 4.1 • 4 Speed Manual • 15" Steelies • Snow White • Otherwise stock...for now •

2004 Porsche Cayenne S

• 4.5 V8 • 6 Speed Auto • 19" OEM Alloys in Bronze • Crystal Silver • Sunroof • PASM • The grocery getter •
nutter_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #24
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna
it may sound silly, but if i am feeling insecure as passenger, i roll the seat back as far as it will go and recline it more than normal, then i pull down the sun visor so that if we have an accident there may be a chance of a softer 'blow' instead of hitting the glass. sometimes you can get stuck with a person that if you tell em to slow down...they speed up.
Actually, that's the worst thing you can do... if you're reclined too far, depending on the collision, you can be thrown back, slide out of the seat and end up through the rear window.

Better is to have a proper seating position, with the seatbelt worn properly.

Best is to not ride with such a driver.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #25
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
it may sound silly, but if i am feeling insecure as passenger, i roll the seat back as far as it will go and recline it more than normal, then i pull down the sun visor so that if we have an accident there may be a chance of a softer 'blow' instead of hitting the glass.
This reminds me of Lano & Woodley

<Colin standing on kitchen table, screaming at Frank> I'M NOT OVER-REACTING!!!
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #26
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

My mum hates driving with me or is uncomfortable at best. Always telling me what the limit is and using her invisible brake pedal when I'm slowing for traffic and lights.
Mum being old she drives quite slow and very defensive almost to the point where its dangerous. I drive at or near the limit and brake normally etc. She freaks.
I bet there are a few other forum members mums like that. God bless their soul.
Old 27-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #27
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If someone new gets in the car with me, i set the rules. they are simple, If i do anything that makes them feel uncomfortable, anything at all, they should speak up, and i will stop, or alter my driving to make them feel more comfortable.

Yeah, i care THAT MUCH!
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #28
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I have a friend that is a very 'nervous' driver.

You name it, she does it. Tailgating, not driving to conditions, braking too late...
Twice I have been in her car (Toyota Echo full of stuffed toys), and have been genuinely scared, even after telling her to back off the car in front/stop fiddling with the air-con/that the light coming up was red (she wasn't going to stop), and I've instructed her to pull over into a side street.
Once stopped I have opened the door and got out of the car. (Then continued yelling at her on the footpath) before telling her that I would be driving the rest of the way and to get in the passenger side.

She also has no sense of direction at all, and relies on her TomTom to get her everywhere, which allows her to continue to putter along in her own little world, and not pay attention to anything happening around her until she has to change lanes or merge.

She used to see a guy that lived at Seven Hills, and she'd highlighted the route from her place to his in her street directory (before her GPS). She worked out it was the 4th exit after she entered the M4. This was fine for 12 months, until the M7 ramps opened.
On her way out there after work one day she got 600m up the 4th exit as usual, until she decided that it didn't look familliar. She stopped, got out the map, and then because she had no idea how to find her way around once she was off the M4, she reversed back down the exit ramp - in peak hour traffic - and rejoined the M4.
She will joyfully tell anyone who listens that story. Because she thinks it's funny. No matter how often her mother/sister/brother/friends tell her she is doing something wrong and to be more observant/careful, she just laughs it off saying she hasn't had an accident "this year", so she must be getting better.

She ran up the back of a car near home last year, and rang her mum in hysterics saying the brakes had failed. (It was a cold, rainy day, and she was travelling downhill)
30 minutes later she turned up at my place, and when I asked how she got there she replied "I drove, how else?" Brakes didn't fail. The driver did.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #29
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

My brother is a shocker I won't go anywhere with him driving it is just dumb luck he has not had a major yet. When I bought the FPV (He loves his fords) I did something very unusual and offered him a drive never again the car is quick but he undertook a 5 series beemer on a freeway entry ramp WTF something I could not ever consider doing we were flying, That was in a new $60k car that was not his. Some people are dangerous and should not be on the road at all. I am lucky I tend to drive myself rather than passenger it.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #30
FPV GT40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna
We all feel in best when we are behind the wheel driving, but what are you like when you are a passenger, and the driver is making you uncomfortable, you feel in danger. They may be tailgating at high speed, not watching the road, changing lanes dangerously, etc. this person may be your best mate, workmate, wife, g/friend, relative etc. Do you keep your mouth shut and hold on tight, or do you say something?
Say something, as its too late when you are getting taken to Hospital in the Ambulance...its usually the passenger that gets killed or injured anyway...

I have a good mate of mine and I will not go in the car with him as he can not drive for , and now he actually thrown me the keys to bis car whenever we go anywhere....The last time I went in his car was a 1500km round trip, and I drove all the way, he picked me up from my placle and handed me the keys to his car.
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post