Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
LouieLouie
Starter Motor

Default Got this on ebay excellent

Last year my wife and I drove to Broome and on the way back i got a busted headlight. Cost me almost $1000 to get it fixed. Rip off. Just recently got this new product on Ebay called Light Skinz. Its a clear film you can use to protect your headlights and paintwork. It cost me $40 on ebay so i figure its worth the investment. I used the leftovers around the rear door where my dogs climb in and out to stop the scratches. It was easy to put on and you can't see it once you've got it on. Doesn't get dirty like the old acrylic ones.
Thinking about getting more to put on the rear lights. I always worry about rocks getting kicked up when i'm towing the van. Anyway, just thought i'd share this with everyone. I'm not precious but i don't want to have to shell out for another headlight.

LouieLouie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like an interesting product...

BUT I hope you haven't joined up JUST to advertise...:P

Only one thingy on Ebay atm....

Welcome to the Forums anyhow.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

i wonder how it affects the beam of the light?

if it takes a clean light without these skins and turns the light into a glare with the skins then this could be highly dangerous.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
LouieLouie
Starter Motor

I'll have a look at that thanks. I don't think it has any effect on the light didn't notice glare or reflection. Its just clear.
Old 26-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
LouieLouie
Starter Motor

New here. Is there anywhere to discuss fishing?
Old 26-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

If you want to talk fishing mate, you're in the wrong place try here

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
LouieLouie
Starter Motor

Thanks, just thought there might be some Ford blokes who want to talk fishing here as well. Will have a look.
Old 26-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

yup, I'm sure there are and I'm one of them but this is the ford pub and we talk cars here. You might get a bite (pun intended) in the The Bar but Fishnet is the place to start.

Bushbasher

ps. welcome to the forum BTW

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #9
LouieLouie
Starter Motor

Thanks mate.
Old 26-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Yeah, I have seen this product advertised around. Will be interested in the 'glare' findings.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
LouieLouie
Starter Motor

Yift you got me thinking so I just had a look at the headlights turned on with the Skinz. Can't detect any glare whatsoever. You can hardly even see them once there on. The pack says it doesn't affect the aerodynamics.
Old 26-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #12
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yift
i wonder how it affects the beam of the light?

if it takes a clean light without these skins and turns the light into a glare with the skins then this could be highly dangerous.
Phishing jokes aside...

It doesn't. I've had them on the EB for about 7 years or so - maybe more it was that long ago I put them on. I use a combo of Arctic Blue and 50+ Narva's and it's completely transparent. If you did not know they were on there you would not see them. Got them on the blinkers too.

Awesome stuff, but pricey. I got mine through Aunger years ago.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #13
LouieLouie
Starter Motor

Hi platinumXR. How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking? I paid about $40 on ebay for this. It was enough to do headlights and a bit leftover. I thought it was pretty cheap. 3M make similar stuff and that costs a bloody fortune.
Old 26-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #14
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieLouie
Hi platinumXR. How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking? I paid about $40 on ebay for this. It was enough to do headlights and a bit leftover. I thought it was pretty cheap. 3M make similar stuff and that costs a bloody fortune.
Yeah mine was the 3M stuff and mate, it was 9 years ago but I think it was about $55 for a pair of universal sheets you trim down to suit. I used to sell it at the Autopro I worked at for about the same - was a hard sell but no returns or complaints. Ever. Beats buying crappy looking plastic headlight covers every now and then - I think I still have a few genuine Ford replacements unopened somewhere...

If you put it on correctly it will never come off...well at least the 3M stuff.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
Old 26-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #15
LouieLouie
Starter Motor

This stuff is called Light Skinz by Altex. No mention of 3M on the pack. I was happy with how it went on. I followed the instructions and it was easy enough. I've had the plastic covers before and aside from all the dirt and rubbish that gets behind them, they crack and break.
Old 26-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #16
AU3XSR
First time Falconless

You can buy the Light Skinz from Supercheap etc in either the flat sheets which are fairly thick, or in a long roll which is a thinner skin. They also make the same type of product for body panels. All of our Falcons run light skinz on their headlights instead of the original polycarbonate headlight covers and we have not had any problems with glare etc. It is completely transparent as long as you apply it correctly...

Previous:-
2012 Fiesta Metal | 2001 AU2 XR6 | 1994 EF Fairmont | 2010 FG XR50 Ute | 2006 BF Typhoon | 2002 AU3 SR
AU3XSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #17
LouieLouie
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU3XSR
You can buy the Light Skinz from Supercheap etc in either the flat sheets which are fairly thick, or in a long roll which is a thinner skin. They also make the same type of product for body panels. All of our Falcons run light skinz on their headlights instead of the original polycarbonate headlight covers and we have not had any problems with glare etc. It is completely transparent as long as you apply it correctly...

Have you tried the one for body panels? I saw that on there as well but wasn't sure how it would go.
Old 26-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #18
platinumXR

Quote:
Yeah, we sold the 3M from Aunger then that stuff from ALTREX when the other disappeared.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 26-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #19
LouieLouie
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
Yeah, we sold the 3M from Aunger then that stuff from ALTREX when the other disappeared.
Thats the stuff i used ALTREX. Do you reckon the body stuff is good then? Was thinking if it was any good i might put some on the wife's Festiva along the doors to stop dings at the shops.
Old 26-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #20
platinumXR

Quote:
Thats the stuff i used ALTREX. Do you reckon the body stuff is good then? Was thinking if it was any good i might put some on the wife's Festiva along the doors to stop dings at the shops.
Well, the stuff 3M had back then was called "Bonnet Skinz" and was similar to the old water soak on rego labels...remember them? This stuff was so thin it was pointless and far too fragile. I have not seen any other product but it may exist.

My guess is, if it is the thicker stuff like the light Skinz then; yeah it will be ok - but it will take the paint off sure as look at it if you ever decide to take it off.

I do think it would look out of place on the doors though...but...it's your car...

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 26-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #21
LouieLouie
Starter Motor

The stuff on Ebay is called "Body Skinz". Looks like the same as the "Light Skinz". Might give it a go. The guy on ebay was pretty helpful so might ask him about getting the stuff off if i ever need to.

I remember the water soak on rego labels. What a pain in the ar*e they were.
Old 26-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #22
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
All of our Falcons run light skinz on their headlights instead of the original polycarbonate headlight covers and we have not had any problems with glare etc. It is completely transparent as long as you apply it correctly...
I use it on the driving lights in a Brumby front bar. We've been on some cruddy roads in our travels and even though the bar gets severely stone chipped the driving light lens have no cracks/marks.

Excellent product and I'd think a must for BA/BF's driving/fog lights.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #23
LouieLouie
Starter Motor

I'm told by the ebay guy that the Light Skinz and the Body Skinz are both very easy to remove if you warm them up first with a hair dryer or a hot air gun. He reckons the Body Skinz are ok on paintwork and won't lift paint off. I know what you mean platinumXR about it looking out of place on the door but i am sick of the wife coming home with new scratches and dings everytime she goes to the bloody shopping centre!
Old 26-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #24
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

if you guys that are using them already say they dont glare then i might invest in them.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #25
Dr_FutzLoop
Starter Motor

Ive seen these light skinz in supercheap auto.. seems a pretty common product to me..
Dr_FutzLoop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #26
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death

BUT I hope you haven't joined up JUST to advertise...:P

Never saw an answer to that.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #27
LouieLouie
Starter Motor

Mate, I thought the idea was to share ideas and get help. I've been checking this forum out for months and getting lots of great information. When i got this product the other day I thought others might like to know about it. I didn't know you could get it in Super Cheap etc or that it was commonly available. So in answer to your question, no not here to advertise.
Old 26-05-2009, 10:29 PM   #28
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Thanks for the heads up on how to run the site.

It was a simple questions, to which the 2nd part of your reply answered it nicely enough.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 05:15 AM   #29
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm told by the ebay guy that the Light Skinz and the Body Skinz are both very easy to remove if you warm them up first with a hair dryer or a hot air gun. He reckons the Body Skinz are ok on paintwork and won't lift paint off. I know what you mean platinumXR about it looking out of place on the door but i am sick of the wife coming home with new scratches and dings everytime she goes to the bloody shopping centre!
You and that ebay guy have one hell of an informative relationship going! _2:

I couldn't imagine putting them on your paintwork would do much good, probably as useless as glad wrap. It certainly wouldn't stop any 'dings' at a shopping centre and would be an absolute pain when you need to touch up or get panel repairs/resprays.
Old 27-05-2009, 07:17 AM   #30
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
You and that ebay guy have one hell of an informative relationship going! _2:

I couldn't imagine putting them on your paintwork would do much good, probably as useless as glad wrap. It certainly wouldn't stop any 'dings' at a shopping centre and would be an absolute pain when you need to touch up or get panel repairs/resprays.
http://www.ozicozi.com.au/

Stoneguard paint protection film. I don't like the look on the car, but others defend it.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post