Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
Tezza_777
Starter Motor

Default AU1 VCT into AU2 Ute

Hi Guys, I'm new here and would appreciate any help an advice that you can give. I have an AU2 ute 6cyl non VCT duel fuel with smartshield and I also have a series 1 VCT 6 cyl and ECU (WR2A-12A650_KD) WAKD out of an AU1 Fairmont Ghia (10/99). I beleive from my research here that the S1 VCT ECU should be a smartshield one, hopefully. What I am after is info regarding whether or not this ECU will work when i change it over and also if there are any wiring changes that I need to do.
The VCT motor includes its loom.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Tezza_777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
gust98

hi tezza i did a very similar transplant a couple of weeks back i fitted a series 3 vct into a series 3 ute it started on the ute ecu but would not idle it ran like crap so i then fitted its ecu and it did nothing so after a little thought and little help from this site i decided to change the ecm and still nothing but i could start it by bypassing the starter relay ran sweet but nothing from the ignition key so i changed the ignition key and hey presto it work the ute had a blue ecm and the xr6 had a pink one so i guess that the 3 pieces i changed must be programed together the only other advice i can give is the motor and gearbox together is a real tight fit and if your going down that path turn the front of the motor to the right and it just fits and i mean just
gust98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Tezza_777
Starter Motor

Thanks for that Gust.
I am trying to sus out the wiring at the moment and also looking at the possibility of an aftermarket ECU to allow me top run ULP and LPG.
Also whether or not I am going to use my existing AU2 loom with an extra wire for the VCT or if I modify the AU1 engine loom.
Any further info appreciated.
Tezza.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'm pretty positive that all series one had smartlock not smartshield, so ecu may not work?
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
Tezza_777
Starter Motor

Thanks XRCheif,
I figure that the AU1 VCT ECU wont want to play with my utes AU2 bits.
I'm looking at either finding an AU2 VCT ECU or fitting an aftermarket ECU that will give me more options as well as tunes to suit ULP and LPG.
This motor will be running about 10,5:1 comp and being able to alter the ignition curb=ve shoud be helpful.
Tezza.
Old 14-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
Tezza_777
Starter Motor

The late AU1 (after july 99) is an early version of smartshield.

I tried putting the AU1 VCT ECU in the ute, it turned over but won't start.

Both inlet manifolds look the same re: MAP sensors etc.

Any further info appreciated.
Old 14-05-2009, 08:58 PM   #7
GOODVIBES
Starter Motor

Hi it is not the pcm that is the concern but the BEM (BODY ELECRONICS MODULE) located in the drivers footwell left hand side of the steering column... the BEM has to commmunicate with the new pcm informing it of key status.. i would recommend to change the bem and ignition lock... otherwise take it to a dealer so that a PARAMETER RESET can be carried out to open the line of communication between pcm, bem and ignition... you would have had to change the pcm to suit the engine so the bem does not recognise the pcm.. hope that helped..
Old 22-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
Tezza_777
Starter Motor

Thanks for all the info but this little project has been abandonned as it has become to time expensive.
I am now rebuilding a normal AU2 6 cyl to suit the application, eg. LPG, high mileage and heavy loads.