Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
ediguano
Starter Motor

Default Leaky Boots

Hey guys,
I thought today while I have some spare hours, I'd try to figure out where the leak in my Power Steering is coming from. I degreased everything down there to try and locate it specifically.

The left hand boot had a broken ratchet clamp and there was some seepage there. Turns out it was full of fluid. The RHS wasn't leaking but I thought I'd check anyway. Also full of fluid.
Is this normal? I assumed they would just act as dust covers.

The p/s switch had a bit of oil caked around it but I'm not sure this was the main cause of the leaking. Most of the oil was running along the shaft to the middle and dripping down onto the cross member.

After reading through other guys problems with there p/steering leaks, I am thinking I may have some rooted seals in there somewhere.

If anyone can shed some light on this, that'd be great although I get the feeling this is not going to be a case of a new $45 switch!

Cheers guys
ed

ediguano is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
Erich

I would agree - a switch leak would NOT be causing the leak inside the rack assembly and out via a boot. This may have a small leak but if its leaking (even minor), that is a seperate issue that would need looking at (replacing)

It is only a dust cover and oil should not be leaking out in quantities like that, I would look at getting a trans/power steering person to look at it
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

200 bucks for a reco rack, best bet!
Old 19-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
EvilChief
Boost Addict

internal rack end seal leaks, requires reco of rack. the switch sometimes may sweat as well, but will not cause an internal leak. check your high pressure PS while you are at it, as its easiest to swap while doing a rack, in case it leaks as well. And remember to use Agri fluid for PS fluid and not DXIII.
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
ediguano
Starter Motor

thanks guys. new rack it is. from the looks of things it shouldn't be too hard to swap over myself and save a few $$.
ediguano is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post