Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Default Earth Hour

I'm in the docklands in Melbourne, and the city is so dark, it has almost disappeared!

Has anyone else noticed any extra 'darkness' in their area (and an increase in Holdens does not count)

iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

Not at all to be honest lol..

Having said that I am 30+km out of the cbd so it is always peacefully dark out here other than street lighting which is still on.

I went outside to check out the view and there is much less light around than usual towards the city and over much of suburbia which I am truly surprise to see.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
rodderz

Not sure, I have all the lights on so I'm a bit blind
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
GUTLES
Adam.

Blah, I've got those energy saving lights & only have 2 on, can't be bothered turning them off. Would be strange to be in the city, any looters around?

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTLES
Would be strange to be in the city, any looters around?
i went for a walk to coles in spencer st before earthhour, and i was glad i did - the streets just look too dark now for a lone female to be out and about.
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
3vXT

Was going to turn the lights off but i forgot all about it. Hope the world's fate wasn't resting on my electricity consumption over the last hour cause i was using heaps.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
Was going to turn the lights off but i forgot all about it. Hope the world's fate wasn't resting on my electricity consumption over the last hour cause i was using heaps.
The Earth Hour Gestapo will be around in the morning
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2009, 10:52 PM   #8
plext
Forum Director

I had all my V8's running especially. I hope they appreciate the effort I put into this.
plext is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 12:06 AM   #9
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I turned my lights off but really, on a normal night, I have 2 energy saving lights on (15W each), my laptop, router and TV.

What I find funny is that people are lighting candles and such all over to compensate for the lack of electrical lighting. It probably takes more energy to make all those candles than leaving the lights on so it's kinda pointless. heh

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 12:46 AM   #10
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I have kids so no I did not participate. In saying that I also have energy saving globes and only ever 2 on at one time. I run one of them all night (3 year old, and now 7 day old boy, mrs has to feed the boy) My electricity bill is hardly ever over $60 for 2 months. I payed one bill twice and the last bill I got I was still in credit, so I figure I must not be consuming very much at all.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #11
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

My bill averages 70 dollars per quarter. I live alone in a 2 bedroom apartment in Sydney. I'm not sure if that's alot or not but I try to cut down where ever I can since... well, a dollar saved is 700ml of petrol. hehe

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 12:58 AM   #12
Scott

I went for an hour long drive to quell the boredom, didn't run the headlights or the stereo though so should be sweet ;)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 01:12 AM   #13
AdzT3-146
own the road

did not participate
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 02:10 AM   #14
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nope, didn't take part last year either. Electricity is about $400 a month at my place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 08:14 AM   #15
prydey
Rob

the whole thing is a joke. anyone working in a power station will tell you so. they don't shut anything down due to the time it takes to power up so excess power just goes to ground.

this is right up there with promoting hybrid vehicles.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 09:19 AM   #16
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
the whole thing is a joke. anyone working in a power station will tell you so. they don't shut anything down due to the time it takes to power up so excess power just goes to ground.

this is right up there with promoting hybrid vehicles.
Exactly right its another minority group conning the world into doing STUPID STUNTs that achieve nothing except helping the governments of the day scaring the population, to achieve some new ideal that will cost us all in one way or another down the track.WHO mentioned CARBON TRADING :
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #17
smacxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We forgot all about it in our house, well maybe next year ill remember and leave the lights on on purpose instead of accidentely leaving them on.

I found this interesting
Even if a billion people turn off their lights this Saturday, the entire event will be equivalent to switching off China’s emissions for six short seconds.

When asked to extinguish electricity, people turn to candlelight. Candles seem natural, but are almost 100 times less efficient than incandescent light globes, and more than 300 times less efficient than fluorescent lights. If you use one candle for each extinguished globe, you’re essentially not cutting CO2 at all, and with two candles you’ll emit more CO2.
smacxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #18
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

They should have earth hour at Christmas when all those extra eleventy-zillion lights are on.......

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #19
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

saw an ad for it, telling me it was on, AFTER the actual event.. so no i didn't participate
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #20
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
My bill averages 70 dollars per quarter. I live alone in a 2 bedroom apartment in Sydney. I'm not sure if that's alot or not but I try to cut down where ever I can since... well, a dollar saved is 700ml of petrol. hehe
Damn, I live in a unit/villa. Last qtr bill was $210 (but that was one of those stupid 'estimated' bills - might pay nothing next qtr. That did take into account summer when I said "stuff it" and pretty much ran the air con for 3 months though. I walk/catch a train to work, and ride a pushbike most other places except for the weekly shop which is done in the Mini.

Wasn't home for EH so no lights on.
Old 29-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #21
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

what a crock of you know what. As prydey said the turbines will keep on spinning.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #22
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As I said last year or the year before, one day won't do squat.
People altering their behaviour everyday will make a bigger difference.

Just like littering. Australia is filthy. People throw their cigarette butts, McDonald's crap and other junk on the ground. As far as they're concerned, if they don't care, then it doesn't matter.

Those same people are crapping their undies because of global warming.

I just don't get people sometimes. Hell, I don't even get me. :P

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #23
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Didnt participate, but wasnt home i went to southbank in Brisbane and it was a pretty poor effort IMO
Old 29-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #24
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's like any douchebag driving a Prius. Think that they are making a difference but really they are just driving a gay slow car and it doesn't have any effect on anything :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #25
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
It's like any douchebag driving a Prius. Think that they are making a difference but really they are just driving a gay slow car and it doesn't have any effect on anything :
nah mate, it effects their sexually.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Being green is not about actually making a difference, its about BEING SEEN to be making a difference.

As Prius owners would never admit to.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #27
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey, some of us work for employers stupid enough to buy Prius's. Don't judge me when I am driving it!

I always head to the black SR5 'lux with the polished roll bar. Not always there tho...
Old 29-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #28
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

All the lights were out in my house and the TV and computer were off. Thats because I wasn't home.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #29
gtfpv
GT

EARTH HOUR SUX !! it's just a way to make people aware how to save electricity, so they can put the price up.
THE KYOTO AGRREMENT is a laughing stock . when you read the details . kinda goes like this .
lets get everyone concerned about pollution . then get everyone to be greener by buying smaller engines and using friendly fly spray , whilst ccharging premium $$$. of course we'll keep on with modern technoligy, which we need and enjoy, therefore will keep using . ( the last time i checked )- light was actually a modern part of life) and bingo . we now have a way of charging more for oil gas and elctricity , and can feel guilt free because we're pumping out record pollution , and getting everybody to pay top dollar for green fly spray..
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 10:38 PM   #30
Scott

^^ Green fly spray is called "paint" and it comes in many colours - you should double check labels before using dangerous chemicals.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post