Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

Default club rego vs normal rego

howdy all.. excuse my stupidity but can you guys/gals please explain to me exactly what is club rego.. normal rego is all i'm aware off..
i have an xa.. what is the best way to register it.. i mean normal rego is easy.. is club rego cheaper alternative?? daily driver? limited km's?? does it affect insurance??
bla bla bla..
im in sydney.
i've tried asking the rta branch i went to in mt.druitt but i happened to get a new worker and time ran out so no info on what i needed..
thanks up front for any info..

motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

club rego is much cheaper but is for limited use only like club runs car shows etc no daily use
XR2DOOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 01:17 AM   #3
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

it is not rego as such. the car is unregistered, but a permit can be obtained for club events. the rules are different in each state, but in victoria at present, i believe the car can only be used for official club meetings and runs - and of course, you need to be a member of the said club. however, not all clubs can give out club permits
some car shows are red plate events, which means anyone with a club permit can attend, even without it being listed as an official run for their club.
there are potential changes being looked at in victoria where you can have a 45 day permit or 90 day permit. you need to fill out a log book BEFORE each trip, but providing you do not exceed the amount of days in a year, you have total freedom in regards to your trip
south australia have a similar system, i believe, but the best thing to do is check with the nsw authorities and find out from them what the rules are

in victoria it is around $100 a year - insurance is cheaper as well, because you are limited to how much driving you can do

Last edited by gtxb67; 07-03-2009 at 01:22 AM.
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 02:09 AM   #4
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
it is not rego as such. the car is unregistered, but a permit can be obtained for club events. the rules are different in each state, but in victoria at present, i believe the car can only be used for official club meetings and runs - and of course, you need to be a member of the said club. however, not all clubs can give out club permits
some car shows are red plate events, which means anyone with a club permit can attend, even without it being listed as an official run for their club.
there are potential changes being looked at in victoria where you can have a 45 day permit or 90 day permit. you need to fill out a log book BEFORE each trip, but providing you do not exceed the amount of days in a year, you have total freedom in regards to your trip
south australia have a similar system, i believe, but the best thing to do is check with the nsw authorities and find out from them what the rules are

in victoria it is around $100 a year - insurance is cheaper as well, because you are limited to how much driving you can do
could it maybe affect insurance.. if someone hit me would i get into kaka from them on repairs...?
Old 07-03-2009, 02:09 AM   #5
tazza255
1979 ZJ Fairlane 302c

No good for day to day use
Old 07-03-2009, 02:10 AM   #6
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

thanks for all info!!!
Old 07-03-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycles4eva
could it maybe affect insurance.. if someone hit me would i get into kaka from them on repairs...?
you would have to check through the insurance companies, but since it is a legal permit to drive on public roads, i assume both tac and normal insurance is applicable

realistically if interested, firstly you will need to find a club that can provide club permits and they should be able to give all the info
the coupe club for instance cannot provide it, but some of our members have also joined the cobra club who can. finding the relevant club is probably the most important part
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #8
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

well in queensland your car has to be over 30 years old to have club rego, you can use it on a regular basis on 15 kms away from home, you can use it in wedding on strict note FAMILY ONLY ! ring your transport department as well
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I went into this a while ago for my 1968 Beetle and according to the RTA's site....
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...istration.html

Historic vehicles manufactured 30 or more years ago are eligible for conditional registration if the operator belongs to an RTA-recognised historic vehicle club, and the the vehicle has not been altered except for certain safety features or period accessories.

And...

Vehicles can only be used for events organised by their Club, another Club or recognised community organisations provided an official invitation has been received and documented by the Club in the official minutes, or the official 'Day Book'

There's a downloadable PDF here... http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...sheet_dl1.html. Under "Historic vehicle and clubs"
Old 07-03-2009, 11:12 PM   #10
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Club rego

Hi all Im in QLD and the rules here say that the car has to be over 30 years old
you have to belong to a motor car club ie Hot rod club
and the club official has to certify that the car is 30 years old or more
the car can be used for weddings for family only and not for profit also you can drive it as long as you are going to a club meet or swap meet if you are buying parts or test driving which leaves the gate wide open
I think the last one I registered this way about 5 years back cost me $120 plus I had to get a RWC I think the transport ask for an official to sign off on it is because some cars dont have a compliance plate so they are there to keep it all above board
hope this helps a bit
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post