Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default I6 may be exported: GoAuto

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25756D00020D94

Quote:
Ford’s local I6 on shopping list for overseas makers

By IAN PORTER 3 March 2009

FORD’S engine operations at Geelong, which late last year were saved by government intervention and the injection of $21 million, could soon receive a shot in the arm from other car-makers wanting to buy the straight-six engine.

Ford is also increasingly confident that the financially troubled supplier of its four-speed automatic transmission for Falcon – Drivetrain Systems International (DSI) – will survive, with receivers getting enquiries from up to 18 parties interested in investing in the Albury operation.

Speaking to GoAuto at the Melbourne International Motor Show, Ford Australia president Marin Burela said the Geelong-made inline-six (I6) engine was secure for the medium-term, and that the outlook for the operation had been strengthened by approaches from manufacturers who wanted to use the engine.

“We are getting all sorts of interest from different sectors on whether or not we would be prepared to sell them some engines, for different applications,” he said. “They want to know would we be willing to sell them some I6 engines.

“That’s a different angle on the Geelong engine plant story.”

Mr Burela would not say which companies were making the enquiries or what sort of vehicle they would be used in. “There are different groups around the world. I don’t want to talk volumes.”

The Ford chief said negotiations were in the early stages, but there was strong interest – “it’s really encouraging”.

He said that even without any export orders, the engine would “probably” be kept in service until 2015 or 2016, although a decision will be made earlier than that.

“When we get to 2012 we will look at it again and we will then understand where the emissions standards are heading. Then we’ll make some decisions on whether we can continue to upgrade the technology or make a change (to an imported V6).”

Mr Burela said he was also confident production of the Falcon range would not be interrupted by the troubles at DSI.

He said Ford had enough four-speed automatic transmissions on hand to carry it through to March 9, when the DSI receivers plan to resume production.

Mr Burela said Ford would prefer to keep using the four-speed unit rather than switch to the five- or six-speed units used in other Falcons and the Territory.

“We are quite happy to stay the way we are,” he said.

Mr Burela said the prospects for longer-term stability improved after the receivers had called for expressions of interest in DSI.

“When they were appointed, I thought their biggest challenge would be to find suitable investors,” Mr Burela said. “They were overwhelmed by the level of interest. There were 18 different parties.”

At least five of the approaches were from serious operators, two of whom already source some of their transmissions from DSI.

“I am getting more confident by the day supply will continue,” he said.

Mr Burela scotched suggestions that the Falcon wagon – will is built on the previous platform architecture – would be discontinued in light of its reliance on a DSI-supplied gearbox and the launch in Melbourne last week of the imported Mondeo medium-sized wagon.

“We have no plans to drop the Falcon wagon. It is alive and well,” he said. “We hit a real nice sweet spot with the Falcon wagon and it just keeps selling.

“The Mondeo wagon brings a completely different customer to the brand. It’s a younger family, versatile, lifestyle, great package selling so well in Europe.”

Mr Burela said it was difficult to be certain about the outlook for the domestic vehicle market given the current financial crisis, but he was pleased the forecast he made last year was still in the game.

“Last year I predicted the 2009 year would run at 900,000 units. I was delighted when January came in at (an annualised rate of) 917,000,” he said.

February, however, had been “an interesting month, a bit up and a bit down”.

“I think the first half of the year will be rocky, very turbulent. Our view is that in the second half of the year we will start to see more stability and I think we will start to see that in the global economy,” he said.

“Things are starting to shape themselves, but it will take six to 12 months to get there.”
The I6 for the F150? A stationary engine application perhaps?

The tidbit about the wagon is interesting too.

Discuss.

Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Never in my wildest dreams would I have have imagined this! Great signs, although i realise its all talk at the moment.

I6 until 2016! Wow.... The mind boggles at the opportunities. Hmm, what sort of power would the 2016 F6 be making?

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

why not

BF XR6T Ute - 422rwhp tuned by FPT Toowoomba

Where the boost junkies hang out -Forced Ford Forums
Cookie-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
Paxton
Cobblers!

If this rumour eventuates, this news will make a couple of members here very very happy.

Anybody else think there has been a complete culture change at Ford Australia since Burela started?
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

This will be great news if it does happen. Also with our dollar nice and low it would make it nice and cheap for export.

Burela is doing a great job and obviously wants Ford Australia to survive....unlike the incompetent yanks before him.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Sounds like a good opportunity!
Old 03-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Believe it when i see it, and if it happens at all, I suspect it's of low volume, niche applications.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

very pleasing. I thought they were planning on scrapping the falcon wagon though. i may be confused on that tho.
eyes87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes87
very pleasing. I thought they were planning on scrapping the falcon wagon though. i may be confused on that tho.
That's what the plan was in the Gorman days, yes. A local boy running the show (and consistent sales) has obviously changed that. Simple fact is that tradies and reps who can't use/don't want a ute still keep buying the wagon because there is no other car available for the price with the same payload and load space capacity.

However it begs the question: what will happen to the wagon in 2010? It can't continue past July 1 2010 without a Euro 4 compliant engine.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Was talk of putting them into airport tugs/push backs, globally?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also in turbo form it has proven a great unit. Maybe there is an application in F series trucks for the turbo I6 instead of the smaller cubed modular V8 in the near future. Good news either way.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #12
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The F150 is getting the 3.5 V6 in EcoBoost version only
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #13
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Go Auto can't resist an opportunity to sink the boot.

Quote:
Then we’ll make some decisions on whether we can continue to upgrade the technology or make a change (to an imported V6).”
Talk about putting words into his mouth.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #14
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
If this rumour eventuates, this news will make a couple of members here very very happy.

Anybody else think there has been a complete culture change at Ford Australia since Burela started?
Amen to that..........

I think you will find that the Falcon will be reviewed in 2012 and if they continue with Falcon then the I6 will continue. By 2016 I would imagine the Mondeo will replace Falcon. Maybe?
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #15
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

The way Holden people talk the Ford I6 belongs in a "dirty truck"

FPV Kenworth here we come lol..............
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #16
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Amen to that..........

I think you will find that the Falcon will be reviewed in 2012 and if they continue with Falcon then the I6 will continue. By 2016 I would imagine the Mondeo will replace Falcon. Maybe?
My money is still on a jointly developed Taurus/Falcon - perhaps being a stretched / widened version of the EUCD that will underpin next gen Mondeo / Fusion twins.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #17
nommic
EL Monty Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
Go Auto can't resist an opportunity to sink the boot.

Talk about putting words into his mouth.
GoAuto is one of the less-biased, better researched publications in the auto industry. I don't see anything particularly evil about that quote?
Old 03-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #18
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could be right, the next global chassis might be a Mondeo in Europe, Taurus in the US and a small Falcon down here in Oz. Why build three separate cars when you can build three off the one chassis? However, Falcon will then become a FWD car. Has it's good and bad sides to it.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #19
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

This is good news, I hope Ford never cans the I6.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #20
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

awsome news! A massive turn around of events. If this is sucessful, imagine the development dollars towards the engine!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #21
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

This is good news, I have noticed a lot more good news stories for Ford Australia, since Marin Burela took over, First the I6 got revived, then the Fiesta with mileage of 3.7 L/100, now this, the words that should quash peoples thoughts that Ford will be flogging FWD Falcons by 2012. I think that this has got to mean Falcon is in a better situation than Commodore for the future.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #22
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

What happened to the doomsayers? The ones who said "They kept the I6 because Falcon was dead in a few years, so no point wasting more money on it to make the V6 fit."

Long live the "250".
Old 03-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #23
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats great!

Would be awesome to see it get some sort of a cult following in europe/US. Maybe TVR could whack the f6 engine into a budget model lightweight sportscar? I know they like straight 6s! Sure would be cheap compared to their inhouse 4.0 i6!

I do remember talk about it powering generators too.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #24
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
What happened to the doomsayers? The ones who said "They kept the I6 because Falcon was dead in a few years, so no point wasting more money on it to make the V6 fit."

Long live the "250".

Heh, I still remember your reaction when I told you about the I6's future last October. We never thought then of the repercussions of Ford keeping this engine alive. Even if it adds twenty or so engines a day, it is adding valuable dollars to Ford's bottom line (which costs them nothing in turn to produce the engines).

I just hope that Ford USA finally realises what a hidden gem is being made here decades after the mother land abandoned it.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #25
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
They all got jobs at drive.com.au
Old 03-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #26
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
They all got jobs at drive.com.au
And drink with Paul Gover.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:54 PM   #27
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Burela is doing a great job and obviously wants Ford Australia to survive....unlike the incompetent yanks before him.
For sure!

You need a local bloke to be passionate and proud of the local product, and go in hard to fight to keep things here alive.

He's exactly what Ford Aus need right now and into the future. I hope they don't take him away to the US and sacrifice him in the muck, as they did with another awesome Ford Aus chief, Jac Nasser.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 08:58 PM   #28
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing in Ford's corner is that Alan Mulally knows what the I6 is AND personally knows how fast/economical it can be.

His exact words after exiting the G6ET he drove while in OZ last year were "Golly that's a fast car"
Old 03-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #29
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
For sure!

You need a local bloke to be passionate and proud of the local product, and go in hard to fight to keep things here alive.

He's exactly what Ford Aus need right now and into the future. I hope they don't take him away to the US and sacrifice him in the muck, as they did with another awesome Ford Aus chief, Jac Nasser.

GK
Ditto
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #30
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
And drink with Paul Gover.
I actually choked on my lunch last week when listening to talkback on 3AW with Paul Gover as guest. A middle aged lady rang up asking Gover's choice over the Mazda 2, Honda and Hyundai...

he said "I'd take none, go test the Fiesta, it's the leader and see how the others compare to it then decide",

she replied "the Ford?",

he answered "Yep"

I though to myself :..did I hear right....maybe the world is changing...?

As to the new Ford Pres, it's probably the first time Ford Oz has a leader that knows small cars very well, (project leader of Fiesta I think(?)) who also understands our large cars because he grew up here and can relate to our RWD love affair (although it's shrunk thanks to the rising oil prices of the past)

Last edited by Dr Smith; 03-03-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post