Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default Interesting figures--- NT road toll.

On January 1st 2007 the NT for the first time ever got speed limits on our open highways. 2007 turned out to be the worst road toll in 10 years. 2008 is already at 30. If you extrapolate from 30, you would get the worst toll ever!!

http://www.nt.gov.au/pfes/index.cfm?...ion=page&p=148

Have a look here. The guvment has stopped updating the police web site reporting road fatalities. The NT guvment has reported in its budget estimates that it has doubled its $$$ from speeding fines. I know that not all Australian highways are capable of supporting open road limits. But what these figures demonstrate is that all Australian state guvments are only interseted in policing laws that are revenue positive. If the same amount of resources were used to police the REAL causes of road fatalies we might see a drop in deaths. At least in the NT, I can't speak for else where in Australia, but I suspect the theory would be consistant across the country.

Waiting to be banned!!!!!!! again!!!

Old 23-06-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As long as the territorians know. How long until the election????
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah but you blokes voted for the pollies that introduced the limits:evil3:. Have the CLP got their stuff together yet or are they not worth voting for?
Regards,
Tote
Old 23-06-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
aye you
The Origional, The Best

at least another year, right Jack?

the whole thing was/is a farce, the NT government could not, and still refuse to produce the actual evidence that 130km/h an hour is safer than the open speed limits, and they still refuse to show the statistics and numbers they used to justify the removal of the open speed limits.
The NT government have done too many unjustified changes to the law e.g changing the road laws which have actually raised the road toll, removed mandatory sentencing and becoming more lenient to juvenile crime which has seen the rate of crime sky rocket. They built a "wave pool", sold it to the public, who didn't want it, that you would be able to "surf" in it, and it now turns out that it will be little more than an over sized salt water pool. A survey of Palmerston discovered that it needed another 2 primary schools and another secondary school. The governments solution? Dump all the year 7's into the already over crowded high school saying this will resolve the problem????

Probably the best one i've seen was when they decided that the mall was not attracting enough local shoppers, so what did they do? Installed parking meters, and they now wonder why only tourists visit the mall.

Jack, you need to do what I did, escape the territory for awhile, get away from all the BS
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

The election could possibly fall in nov/dec. But all the votes they need have been bought and paid for. As mentioned above, mandatory sentencing removal will put them over the line for a few years to come. The CLP will be going to the next election with a return of (//) as a safety measure in their campaign. Time will tell.
Old 23-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
Yeah but you blokes voted for the pollies that introduced the limits:evil3:. Have the CLP got their stuff together yet or are they not worth voting for?
Regards,
Tote
It must have been everyone else. I never voted for the current bunch of monkeys.
Old 23-06-2008, 10:10 PM   #7
futura888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting and touchy subject..It was only the other day that i was reading an old wheels mag which showed three different occasions where actually increasing speed limits on freeway's reduced the road toll..even though heaps more people used this route because it was quicker than side streets and roads.

Just goes to show that revenue is more important than everything else.
futura888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 10:30 PM   #8
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye you
at least another year, right Jack?

the whole thing was/is a farce, the NT government could not, and still refuse to produce the actual evidence that 130km/h an hour is safer than the open speed limits, and they still refuse to show the statistics and numbers they used to justify the removal of the open speed limits.
The NT government have done too many unjustified changes to the law e.g changing the road laws which have actually raised the road toll, removed mandatory sentencing and becoming more lenient to juvenile crime which has seen the rate of crime sky rocket. They built a "wave pool", sold it to the public, who didn't want it, that you would be able to "surf" in it, and it now turns out that it will be little more than an over sized salt water pool. A survey of Palmerston discovered that it needed another 2 primary schools and another secondary school. The governments solution? Dump all the year 7's into the already over crowded high school saying this will resolve the problem????

Probably the best one i've seen was when they decided that the mall was not attracting enough local shoppers, so what did they do? Installed parking meters, and they now wonder why only tourists visit the mall.

Jack, you need to do what I did, escape the territory for awhile, get away from all the BS
Spot on mate.

I moved away from there 3 years ago, since then they brought in speed limits, parking meters and now they are just looking to keep peoples mouths shut with bandaid solutions.

I got a letter from the NT Government about 2 years ago Saying that paintball is now in the NT. No letters about the speed limits on open highways either.

Soon Territory Day fireworks will be banned too its just a matter of time, then the 130 km/hr speed limit will be too unsafe and will drop back to 110km/hr. Crossbows will become illegal again without a liscence too and they will push again for statehood.

All they seem to worry about is the Bass in the Grass lineup.....

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 10:38 PM   #9
aye you
The Origional, The Best

bass in the grass is still pathetic, dunno if it's true to the Foo Fighters, who were in Australia around the time of the first Bass offered to come play, and the Chief Minister, Claire Martian at the time said no, reason? that the territory public only wanted to see local and aussie bands...

Paintball has become legal, but there is so much damn regulatory red tape that no one can be bothered setting up a venue for it.

And don't get me started on FireCracker night....

At least I can't be blamed for voting these muppets in, since i was too young to vote then :evil3:
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
NAPARM
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up NT is awesome

I recently did a road trip from Darwin to Gold Coast and from Darwin to the QLD border we only passed one cop car. It was definately the best part of the trip.
NAPARM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #11
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Last trip up there was in December. Will be the last for a while, relations have moved.

Only Highway Patrol car I spotted in the NT was driving down the main street of Katherine as I arrived.
Old 24-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #12
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
On January 1st 2007 the NT for the first time ever got speed limits on our open highways. 2007 turned out to be the worst road toll in 10 years. 2008 is already at 30. If you extrapolate from 30, you would get the worst toll ever!!

http://www.nt.gov.au/pfes/index.cfm?...ion=page&p=148

Have a look here. The guvment has stopped updating the police web site reporting road fatalities. The NT guvment has reported in its budget estimates that it has doubled its $$$ from speeding fines. I know that not all Australian highways are capable of supporting open road limits. But what these figures demonstrate is that all Australian state guvments are only interseted in policing laws that are revenue positive. If the same amount of resources were used to police the REAL causes of road fatalies we might see a drop in deaths. At least in the NT, I can't speak for else where in Australia, but I suspect the theory would be consistant across the country.

Waiting to be banned!!!!!!! again!!!
The territorians know its fsking stupid , the figures prove adding a limit kills people and between towns most ignore it anyway
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #13
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

NT's latest death.

NT's 2008 toll-to-date, is now 58% higher than its 2007 decade-high result, with that 2007 outcome riding on the back of NT's first full year of open road speed limits. (A default 110km/h and signposted 130km/h for certain highway lengths applies. Up to end of 2006 (//) speed dererstriction applied).

Derestriction was never the problem, but is simply not left-leaning politically correct speed management, where the individual was responsible for his or her speed and manner, and for that reason, had to go. Now NT, like the rest of AUS, insists you rely on the state to tell you when you are going too fast.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/200...65_ntnews.html

Little wonder Clare Martin, ex ABC employee, resigned. Dumbed-down dills.

Outback, I was viewing a live satellite feed showing CLP's new candidate for Alice the other day. Now if NT people wish to see a return of (//) to key highways *only* that party will do it.

If NT people wish to see continued road safety mis-management, continue voting NT Labour.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 24-06-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #14
zigzagnt

And on that note i hear there are rumours of an early election (not due for another year but can apparently be any time after july) It'll take a miracle but i am hoping we can toss the moron's out.
zigzagnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #15
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

19 July 2008

It's started, the campaign to remove 130km/h. The answer, of course, is to replace speed-restricted 130km/h lengths of road with (//) zones instead.

Read between the lines to see 'future directions' as to the existing 100-110km/h typical rural defaults, tis another story - and perhaps not so controversial.

Quote:
A road safety expert says speed limits in the Northern Territory are still too high.

The Northern Territory road toll for the year stands at 37, which is 15 more than at the same time last year.

Professor Brian Fildes is from the Monash University Accident Research Centre.

He told the ABC's Stateline program the decision to reduce the speed limit to 130 kilometres per hour has not gone far enough.

"130kph is still well above what Ausroads, the national peak body, would recommend even for freeways," he said.

"If it is a two-lane undivided road, as many of our highways are, the standards call for 100 kilometres an hour. And quiet frankly we have been pushing to get the speeds even lower than that."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...19/2308445.htm

Unrelated, but a near miss? Chopper vs Semi
http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/200...33_ntnews.html
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 20-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #16
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Quote:
A road safety expert says speed limits in the Northern Territory are still too high.

The Northern Territory road toll for the year stands at 37, which is 15 more than at the same time last year.

Professor Brian Fildes is from the Monash University Accident Research Centre.

He told the ABC's Stateline program the decision to reduce the speed limit to 130 kilometres per hour has not gone far enough.

"130kph is still well above what Ausroads, the national peak body, would recommend even for freeways," he said.

"If it is a two-lane undivided road, as many of our highways are, the standards call for 100 kilometres an hour. And quiet frankly we have been pushing to get the speeds even lower than that."
That is bizarre, almost Orwellian. Is the Monash University Accident Research Centre suffering from a lack of death statistics to study so they are suggesting something to boost the numbers a bit? :
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 10:24 AM   #17
Wally
XP Coupe

Too much time looking at the speedo and not enough time looking for buffalo. I'd also suspect those drivers who used to drive under 130, now see it as their duty to drive at what the sign says they should.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #18
Plugg3r
Bogan w/ Wheels?

I think it will be a white wash with Open Speed Limits votes.

There is no reason 130 should be inforced.
Damn greedy governments.
Old 21-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #19
zigzagnt

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/200...54_ntnews.html
Old 21-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I wonder if AFF might start a bit of a fund to help the restoration of the open limits.....
Old 21-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #21
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plugg3r
I think it will be a white wash with Open Speed Limits votes.

There is no reason 130 should be inforced.
Damn greedy governments.
ONLY you NT folk change it - and all I can say is be quite proud of the fact you want that change.

Don't be afraid to say so out loud, discuss this with all and sundry till election time, let friends know to get on board. Take the matter to talkback radio, to the ABC, NT News and so on. DO give CLP support by offering help, for example by handing out 'How To Vote' cards and whatnot - be involved and make the effort to be so.

I'll guarantee that if NT ALP get back, you *will* end up with a 100km/h rural default AND 110km/h signposted maxmums. It is ALWAYS HARD to regain freedom lost, once its gone - thats about it.

FOR its part, the NT's CLP needs to get the belly fire going on this cause, and ALL other issues important to NT residents. Not much time really.

130km/h as a 'limit' is fine for certain freeway class roads with fully divided median barrier and gatelocked 'emergency service only U-Turn bays', but it is not necessarily appropriate for rural highways, where (//) really would be a safer option.

A "speed-limit" gives people 'something to drive at' (come what may), and incites 'attitude driving'; whereas the (//) sign simply tells the driver to choose a speed, but that he or she had better make it a safe one.

99% of us will do just that under derestriction, AND with reduced nervous tension levels as traffic naturally fans out and seperates from one another, rather than bunching itself up - as you get with speed-limits.

THE R4-2 (//) 'signs' simply need to replace existing R4-1 (130) signage in NT. In that way, NT's 110km/h rural default remains, BUT its key highways that currently bear 130km/h would then become (//) again.

MY personal view is that 110km/h as a rural default is too high, having regard to the type of roads and tracks such a limit automatically applies.

I'd therefore have no hesitation in making this limit in the 80 - 90km/h range. BUT in NT's case, one could then make that limit a PRIMA FACIE one, OR - it can be referenced as a 'recommended maximum'.

Here, the (//) could (should) *not* be used to signal the start point of such a recommended maximum,- because it is not appropriate to attach a prima facie or recommended limit to a derestriction sign.

IF NSW re-introduce (//) again, our signs WILL bear the additional words underneath the derestriction symbol "DRIVE TO CONDITIONS".

NSW HWP will always target idiots, at any speed in any speed limit or (//) for any offence.

Quote:
Labor holds 19 of the 25 seats in the Legislative Assembly. The conservative CLP has four and there are two Independents.

Last edited by Keepleft; 21-07-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 21-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #22
TOASTED
JMM modded EF

but there is less people living in the NT.

Do you think its also the no speed limits that accounts for every other state selling more big macs?

Guess the alcohol tax is turning people to mind altering drugs.
I drive : A heavily modified EF Fairmont with a JMM dev5 cam, worked head, 3.5" mandrel bent intake, exhaust, and a few other bits n pieces like a stally etc.

"She goes like a zirtek"

WANT A FAST FORD RING THIS BLOKE V V

Abbott Engines for HeadWork
20 years experience
PH Rob on (07) 5526 3883
TOASTED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigosmoddedEF
but there is less people living in the NT.

Do you think its also the no speed limits that accounts for every other state selling more big macs?
Huh????? I thought AFF was restricted to English......
Old 21-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #24
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Vote early, vote often.........

Regards,
Tote
Old 22-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #25
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

So Harold Scruby thinks that the people in the NT are hill billies.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...22/2311424.htm

I wish all these east coast tin pot dictators would just pull their brainless craniums in. We are heading for the highest road toll ever, and he is still sprouting his BS!!! :

Why cant people just accept that speed limits on long strech's of mil spec raods are dangerous!!!!

An anti-speed limit group says excessive speed is not the dominant factor in the Northern Territory road toll.

Territory Opposition Leader Terry Mills says the Country Liberals would repeal speed limit restrictions if elected.

But Keep NT Limit Free spokesman Paul Atkinson says the Government's decision to legislate a speed cap of 130 kilometres an hour is dangerous.

"One third of all fatalities are attributed to fatigue, not speed," he said.

"We've got unique road conditions up here; very long stretches of road. If you are just siting on 100 or 110kph you need to be able to vary your speed to suit the road conditions."

Pedestrian Council of Australia chairman Harold Scrooby says speed limits are sensible.

"This is just hillbilly nonsense and I can assure you if by some chance Mr Mills gets into power, we will go straight to the Federal Government and ask the Federal Government and Mr [Anthony] Albanese to override the Northern Territory."
Old 22-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #26
zigzagnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
So Harold Scruby thinks that the people in the NT are hill billies.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...22/2311424.htm

I wish all these east coast tin pot dictators would just pull their brainless craniums in. We are heading for the highest road toll ever, and he is still sprouting his BS!!! :

Why cant people just accept that speed limits on long strech's of mil spec raods are dangerous!!!!

An anti-speed limit group says excessive speed is not the dominant factor in the Northern Territory road toll.

Territory Opposition Leader Terry Mills says the Country Liberals would repeal speed limit restrictions if elected.

But Keep NT Limit Free spokesman Paul Atkinson says the Government's decision to legislate a speed cap of 130 kilometres an hour is dangerous.

"One third of all fatalities are attributed to fatigue, not speed," he said.

"We've got unique road conditions up here; very long stretches of road. If you are just siting on 100 or 110kph you need to be able to vary your speed to suit the road conditions."

Pedestrian Council of Australia chairman Harold Scrooby says speed limits are sensible.

"This is just hillbilly nonsense and I can assure you if by some chance Mr Mills gets into power, we will go straight to the Federal Government and ask the Federal Government and Mr [Anthony] Albanese to override the Northern Territory."

No offence to anyone here but Outbackjack don't you hate it when do-gooder southerners butt into OUR affairs?
Old 22-07-2008, 10:17 PM   #27
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scruby going to the Feds will go nowhere. If the feds are allowed to overturn state rights on traffic matters they can only do it for ALL states and the majority of states must agree. This means the feds not the states will control speed camera income.

What do you think the chances of that happening are?
Old 22-07-2008, 10:20 PM   #28
zigzagnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Scruby going to the Feds will go nowhere. If the feds are allowed to overturn state rights on traffic matters they can only do it for ALL states and the majority of states must agree. This means the feds not the states will control speed camera income.

What do you think the chances of that happening are?

well i may be wrong but i believe that since we aren't technically a state the feds can still overturn certain things here unfortunately.
Old 22-07-2008, 10:37 PM   #29
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
19 July 2008

It's started, the campaign to remove 130km/h. The answer, of course, is to replace speed-restricted 130km/h lengths of road with (//) zones instead.

Read between the lines to see 'future directions' as to the existing 100-110km/h typical rural defaults, tis another story - and perhaps not so controversial.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...19/2308445.htm

Unrelated, but a near miss? Chopper vs Semi
http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/200...33_ntnews.html
Keepleft,
You seem wise to the ways of politics, how is it that people like Prof fieldes can be regarded as an "expert" and be so out of step with the progressive policies that you espouse? It would seem to indicate that Monash Uni where a lot of accident "statistics" come from has a very different view of the world.

Regards,
Tote
Old 22-07-2008, 10:37 PM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagnt
well i may be wrong but i believe that since we aren't technically a state the feds can still overturn certain things here unfortunately.
No I am fairly sure you have run your own show with the exception of a few things since 1976.