Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 13-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Hoon Loses $200k Ford GT

A 32-year-old gets taught a lesson by the men in blue, who confiscated an expensive Ford GT.
A Ford GT confiscated by police is claimed by its owner to be worth at least $200,000 after he painstakingly restored it with a gleaming blue spray job and faultless interior.

But the 32-year-old car enthusiast will never see a cent of profit after the iconic Aussie muscle car was among eight vehicles seized during a blitz on car hoons and street racing at Botany on Sunday.

Eight drivers, including three P-platers, were caught doing burnouts and all had their vehicles impounded and towed away.

But for the GT owner, reclaiming the car will not be an option, with the sedan to be sold at government auction after police revealed it was the second time it had been impounded.

The move came as police yesterday spoke of their frustration at the ongoing problem of drag racers and hoons who continue to gather and menace residents at Port Botany, La Perouse and Brighton Le Sands.

Under Operation Torque, police and RTA officers have been targeting hot spots for more than three months, seizing 20 cars.

More than 30 police hit meeting spots on Anzac Pde, Penryhn Rd and Foreshore Rd from about 5pm on Sunday, issuing 18 defect notices and 39 infringements. The blitz came as more than 100 car enthusiasts gathered in the area, despite ongoing operations.

Superintendent Ron Mason said police were determined to stamp out the hoons, who were endangering other motorists with risky driving and unroadworthy cars.

“It is a big problem,” Supt Mason said.

“Several months back you would get 200 to 300. At the moment we are getting 100, so it's starting to get to them with the number of confiscations we are getting.”

Supt Mason said police called in the riot squad to quell unrest from some motorists, who were upset over the seizures.

The drivers were aged from 17 to 40. One youth was driving his mother's car and another was driving a vehicle belonging to his brother.

The vehicles included three Holden Commodores, two GT model Fords, a Holden utility, a Holden Torana and a Nissan 200SX.

“Whatever day they're going to be there, we'll be there,” Supt Mason said.

“You do the wrong thing and you pay the consequences.”

Some people never learn !! Maybe the GT will go to someone who will appreciate it

Old 13-05-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

repost

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 13-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

repost http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11219497

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 13-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Tears.... rofl
Old 13-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #5
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they may be idiots, but I think the punishment is a little excessive.... Something Hitler would be proud of.
Old 13-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

But for the GT owner, reclaiming the car will not be an option, with the sedan to be sold at government auction.

Love to see how a well paid solicitor handles this one??... Is this a precedent?.. I mean has anyone actually forfeited a vehicle yet?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 13-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Yet the road toll has not changed....... I totally love these laws, they are saving lives..... NOT.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
Old 13-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Lucky they dont do this in Victoria

Meh Road Toll, its to keep all the old farts happy that complain as its always HOONS that are the issue.............

Plus how can you collect fines for reducing the road toll?

Education would cost to much Government Money..............
Old 13-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

GT 40 sedan, must be the only one made.
Old 13-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

: ....

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 13-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Why would you risk street racing such a classic with 1 warning already?

Sad as it sounds, they guy deserves to have his car taken off him.
Old 13-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #12
KenLee
supercarclub.com.au

Ford GT is not an Aussie muscle car.
Old 13-05-2008, 05:32 PM   #13
snap

I think it stinks!! The government should not be able to do that. What about drink drivers as they are a big risk and they only lose their license for a period of time not the car. Maybe they should put rev limiters on hoons car at the owners expense for a period of time. What if someone was paying a car off and they took it??
166.2RWKW.
CHEERS SNAP
Old 13-05-2008, 05:41 PM   #14
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Why would you risk street racing such a classic with 1 warning already?
Kind of screams at you that statement doesnt it...

Old 13-05-2008, 05:41 PM   #15
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i do not think they have the right to take a car off you i strongly disagree with that there are other ways
You would have to be a nun to say that you have never done somthing wrong in a car you always here the old guys talken up what they done in the old days I could go on
Old 13-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #16
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This whole taking cars off owners is , thats stealing. No amount of power, or laws passed can change that, the Govt are taking someone's possession without consent. We should start a petition within the so called "hoon" world to have this pathetic excuse for a law abolished.
Old 13-05-2008, 05:49 PM   #17
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
This whole taking cars off owners is , thats stealing. No amount of power, or laws passed can change that, the Govt are taking someone's possession without consent. We should start a petition within the so called "hoon" world to have this pathetic excuse for a law abolished.
I agree i mean get harsh with taking there lic or lock them up or give them a heavy fine there are more rules getting made every day hate to see it in the future the goverments will have complete control of us
Old 13-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #18
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWildGT
i do not think they have the right to take a car off you i strongly disagree with that there are other ways
You would have to be a nun to say that you have never done somthing wrong in a car you always here the old guys talken up what they done in the old days I could go on
well the current laws say yes they do have the right to take our cars if we get caught

as for the older guys talking up the old days i guess thats where we were lucky

we thought it was tough on us but i personally dont like the way it is now you just need to drive according to the current laws

i got done for a fair share of my bad/hoonish driving when younger but it was only a fine and a few demerit points so it was just a bit of a oh shyte i have to pay this fine and oh bugger i have only 3 points left

that was the only thing i needed to worry about

with the new laws rather than take it to street to race why not lobby the local government to get a place for you to do the racing ect

here in geelong we have a place that run a burnout comp most sundays so it isnt to hard

:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 13-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #19
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

with the new laws rather than take it to street to race why not lobby the local government to get a place for you to do the racing ect
Been there done that its alright for you guys in the city but out in the counrty areas your lucky to get a B.M.X bike track(lol)
Old 13-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #20
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Yes, but who is stupid enough to get caught twice? In the same car, during a blitz...
well deserved...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Old 13-05-2008, 06:33 PM   #21
burnz
VFII SS UTE

gotta love it
Old 13-05-2008, 06:35 PM   #22
samsy351
351XB - Underbelly II Car

Theres a really simple solution to this.................Dont break the law in the first place.!

Then no-one can take your car.

I have no sympathy for the bloke who lost his car. He knew the risk, he made a choice to take the risk, ......... and lost.

Sure, just about everyone has screeched the treads at sometime, but that was the past -the laws have changed now, so abide by them.
Its not rocket science :rolleyes:
Old 13-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #23
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
Yes, but who is stupid enough to get caught twice? In the same car, during a blitz...
well deserved...
Agreed that it was totally stupid and reckless of the GT driver. Not disputing this. Not saying I am happy with the law but regardless till it is changed (which i doubt) we will have to obide by it

But in court, it will be interesting to see what proof the police presents

Was what he did taped? There are people who swear that they have been done for chirping their cars between gears. Was he drag racing, doing a burnout etc etc?
Old 13-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #24
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile

There will always be hoons there always has been since the car was first invented sorry to say i am not for the do gooders world
Old 13-05-2008, 07:00 PM   #25
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
There will always be hoons there always has been since the car was first invented sorry to say i am not for the do gooders world
The Model T Drifting and Drag Racing Club?
Old 13-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #26
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

This is the way our freedom goes,
Not with a bang,
But a whimper.
Old 13-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #27
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

The thing I take exception with is the penalty is not uniform. It can range from $1000 to $200,000 depending on the car you drive. That's just wrong.

Now if they were to say, lifetime ban from driving and $20,000 fine, then great, everyone is treated the same.
Old 13-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #28
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Lucky I don't get dobbed in on.
Every time I change gear under load I chirp the tires.

think you will take my car for something that stupid.... cut it from my fingers.
I do a skid and the cops are there ... what ever ... I will hand you the key and ring a ride home with no complaint.
Old 13-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #29
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
The thing I take exception with is the penalty is not uniform. It can range from $1000 to $200,000 depending on the car you drive. That's just wrong.

Now if they were to say, lifetime ban from driving and $20,000 fine, then great, everyone is treated the same.
I'd take a stab that the value of ones car is proportional to his/her socioeconomic status so i have-at-a-guess that the notion of confication will be as big a loss for somone who looses a $500 datsun as a $250k ferrari.

Should monatary fines be weighted against your nett value/income.....well thats a whole other agruement.

Old 13-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #30
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123

does it really matter what car you drive

the $1000 jalloppy may be the only car the person can afford as to it may be the person in the 1mil car

i for one cant afford anymore than my 98 el but in reality its not about the car it is about the behind the wheel

im not up for an argument on this on but it is the drivers choice to be an idiot or not regardless of the car being driven

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread