Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Default Fog lamps illegal without fog

Vic roads have made it illegal to have your fog lamps on if there isn't fog or hazardous road conditions to justify their use. Fines for using fog lamps at the wrong time are up to $116. That'll hurt the Commodore ute drivers.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
Vic roads have made it illegal to have your fog lamps on if there isn't fog or hazardous road conditions to justify their use. Fines for using fog lamps at the wrong time are up to $116. That'll hurt the Commodore ute drivers.
It's been the case for a while now in NSW. Totaly understand with regard to driving lights that can blind oncoming drivers, but fog lights are lower intensity than low beams and aimed lower, so I just don't see the logic here. In fact I would have thought that fog lights, as in real fog lights, would have made driving safer at all times.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:48 PM   #3
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

even the fog lights fitted to falcons can blind oncoming traffic.

and here's a thought- how often do you hear of people checking the alignment of their foggies? i know for sure that territory foggies are adjustable, but i have never seen anyone check thier alignment.

as for using fog lights being safer...why do i always see fog lights on, but only parker lights on, not normal headlights? this is one of my pet hates, i mean seriously if they were meant to be on all the time they'd be called all-the-time-lights.

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
Old 01-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
if it is the same as NSW law it actually states "inclement weather" so fog or rain are ok

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 01-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
go_ford

I heard about this a while ago, think its a $70 fine here..
Old 01-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #6
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If the driving lights in the bumpers of the new sedans fall under that category I'll be very happy.

Those lights are almost as bad as high beams.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
yabby6
The Convert

i drive with foggies and headlights on all the time (parkers and normal) i didn't know it was dangerous though, i don't see how the fog lights on my car could blind someone :S mine are pointed a fair way down and i am 100% sure they will not affect another driver's vision
Old 01-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
Creampuff
149 rwkw of Style

I don't see the drama. They give better vision in all conditions. As for blinding oncoming traffic..get the 4WD's off the road for good!!
Old 01-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #9
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8falconsrule
foggies are adjustable, but i have never seen anyone check thier alignment.
I assume you often see people adjusting their headlights?

In my 20 years driving I have not seen anyone adjust a light. I doubt it is done during any routine service, I doubt it is ever done in most cars.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #10
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Easy solution whether they're driving lamps, fog lamps or whatever. Don't use them unless you believe you have circumstances that require them, fog, heavy rain, dark country single lane highway. Problem solved and $120 saved.

The extra 0.001kw saved from not using them might mean the difference between cracking 12's in your XR6 Turbo.... from 13.0000000 to 12.999999999.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:06 PM   #11
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just wish using your indicators was as cool for drivers as apparently having your fog lights on in all weathers is.

Imagine a world where people insisted on letting you know what the hell they were doing on the road, before they did it... and they kept left!

Oh well...
Old 01-05-2008, 10:14 PM   #12
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
That'll hurt the Commodore ute drivers.
Hmm, must be different wherever you are.
99% of the ones i see are B-series XR drivers...
And i dont see how you would need them in clear conditions. are the standard ones that terrible?

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Old 01-05-2008, 10:20 PM   #13
pepper0481
Starter Motor

So is it illegal to have your normal headlights on during the day? and whats the fine if they are?
Old 01-05-2008, 10:32 PM   #14
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I just drive with my headlights on, no foglights since every dickkwad and his puppy cries about them, the headlights are brigher and dazzle your eyes more because of the way they are positioned, but I dont care since its apparently illegal..

If any of you whingers actually had a BA / BF fitted with foglights a quick look in the hand book (they are only 55 wats same as headlights) and a quick look at how they are positioned up against a wall shows how they compared to headlights.

Oh and why drive with lights on during the day? Because its proven to make you more safer on the roads, which COULD save your life... This is why big fleets are all fitted with daytime running lights, eg. Telstra.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:44 PM   #15
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
I just drive with my headlights on, no foglights since every dickkwad and his puppy cries about them, the headlights are brigher and dazzle your eyes more because of the way they are positioned, but I dont care since its apparently illegal..

If any of you whingers actually had a BA / BF fitted with foglights a quick look in the hand book (they are only 55 wats same as headlights) and a quick look at how they are positioned up against a wall shows how they compared to headlights.

Oh and why drive with lights on during the day? Because its proven to make you more safer on the roads, which COULD save your life... This is why big fleets are all fitted with daytime running lights, eg. Telstra.
I say Old Chap I Totally Agree, though I Do drive with my Fog Lights (only) on in Daytime as I do not care what the Whingers Think lol

All your Points are 100% Correct Well Done.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:45 PM   #16
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

My "fog" lights come on only when its ****ing down with rain and thats for visability reasons. During the day my normal lights are on and I haven't had anyone pull out on me yet touch wood.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:53 PM   #17
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy 1
I say Old Chap I Totally Agree, though I Do drive with my Fog Lights (only) on in Daytime as I do not care what the Whingers Think lol

All your Points are 100% Correct Well Done.
IM lucky ones blown in the Territory and im too lazy to fix, therefore i cant use them at it looks cheap and could get me a DEFECT!! lol
Old 01-05-2008, 11:15 PM   #18
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan

In my 20 years driving I have not seen anyone adjust a light. I doubt it is done during any routine service, I doubt it is ever done in most cars.

as i work at a dealership, yes i see haedlights checked everyday : , but i take your point.

i always have my headlights on while on the highway and i'm not saying foggies don't have thier place- i have a set on my car and have used them in the pouring rain (don't get much fog where i live) to help see the road markings, but i don't see the use of cruising around during the day with parker lights and foggies going?

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
Old 01-05-2008, 11:38 PM   #19
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't understand why this would be illegal? whats the difference between foggies and normal lights? Normal lights on during the day isn't illegal and they are way brighter than foggies.

On a nice sunny day, pointless yes. Illegal why? Dosen't make any sense.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:19 AM   #20
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabby6
i drive with foggies and headlights on all the time (parkers and normal) i didn't know it was dangerous though, i don't see how the fog lights on my car could blind someone :S mine are pointed a fair way down and i am 100% sure they will not affect another driver's vision
Wouldn't pointed 'way down' reflect off the road - right into oncoming trafic

IMHO they should be governed the same as driving lights. off withing 400 Metres of other trafic
Old 02-05-2008, 12:43 AM   #21
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan

While not every service it is a defectable item when you get a RWC done in Qld.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:10 AM   #22
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

Quote:
Just saw the media release.
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...lCrossings.htm

That's really annoying. I drive the forester with the fog lights on all the time. Now it's going to be headlights on all the time - even though they're angled much higher than fog lights - so therefore a more likely to cause glare.

*thumbs up* for VicRoads!
D:

Last edited by Quicklier; 02-05-2008 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:30 AM   #23
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

In some countries around the world. Its actually illegal tp drive without what they call "day lights" ..IMo if car is fitted with proper FOG lights with reflective fog lens
they should be fine and shouldn't blind anyone..
One of my cars is a Jap spec WRX which has fog lights on switch which can be turned on through the day.. Imo it doesn't hurt anyone, makes car easier to see....
They say there's LESS crashes when vehicles leave there lights on...
Canada have this rule, some states in U.S...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 02-05-2008, 02:02 AM   #24
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

they are ok in the daytime, but at night they are hell for oncoming drivers,especially ones that have had different bulbs fitted etc.

im all for having lights on during the day,my EF lights never turn off lol,they usually go on after the seatbelt.
i do have spotties fitted for long drives but i really dont see the point for foggies near townsville
Old 02-05-2008, 02:28 AM   #25
fpv608
BA MK2 GT

How about an SUV with fogs on right behind you, some people simply turn them on just for the looks, and dont think of other.

Falcon-Tickford-FPV Car Club of NSW
http://bseries.com.au/fpv608
PB 13.2 @ 109 mph
Old 02-05-2008, 08:01 AM   #26
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The other issue not covered so far is the rear fog lights that are as bright as some brake lights eg Hyundai. Very distracting when not in poor weather.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:33 AM   #27
scoupedy

Fog lamps are illegal to use in the metro area with or with out fog just like high beams
Old 02-05-2008, 08:52 AM   #28
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoupedy
Fog lamps are illegal to use in the metro area with or with out fog just like high beams
where did you pick this gem up from? if you don't know what you are talking about don't post. fog lights are legal day/night in any area but in poor weather conditions only

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 02-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #29
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Had the same ruling for years in the UK, where rear fog lamps have been mandatory for 25 years, and front fog lamps a desirable extra and popular aftermarket accessory since the year dot. The Highway Code states that 'poor visibility' is when you should use them, whether it be heavy rain/snow or fog.

I spent a few hours under my mates 1983 Vauxhall Cavalier CDi, changing the bulbs on his factory fit front foggies and cleaning the relay and swapping fuses, managing to get them to work - then promptly watching as he got pulled by a copper over two hours later in town for driving with them on when it was not foggy ! How we laughed about that one...
Old 02-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #30
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ITs those blindingly bright red lights on the back of Hyundais anda few other cars that drive me crazy!
They should be illegal, or at least wired to hi beams or something. they really hurt my eyes.
Closed Thread