Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-04-2008, 11:16 PM   #1
TadKa
Wait? What?

Default Relationship Breakup Saviour

No one wants to hear my sob story but my girl of 7 years broke up with me on Friday. No proper reason hardly any warning. I'm absolutely shattered. The thing that has saved me the most from going completely off the ropes is being able to hop into a semi decent car I enjoy and just fanging around all weekend. Even just sitting in the car is comforting. At least if I look after her she won't just turn around and wreck me like a woman. I'm not pretending I have a fantastic car but to me its a nice place to be. Anyone else found solace in their beast at a time of need?

(Mods feel free to delete thread if its not to standard, its just the more I talk about it the more its sinks in)

TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2008, 11:22 PM   #2
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Yeah. That makes sense. I enjoy driving so I do it when I'm miserable, or just bored.

Sorry to hear it though. A couple of good friends of mine have just split after about the same length of time. It's not nice to hear.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2008, 11:25 PM   #3
Barry_v
rocknrolla

mine takes ages to get ready to go anywhere, is moody, takes all my money and always starts a fight where it will cause maximum embarrassment to me. sometimes i get so upset I have to park her in the shed and go spend some time with my girlfriend ;)
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2008, 11:30 PM   #4
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

7 year itch is alive and well. So many people break up after 7 years. Sorry to hear about your breakup but at least you have found some comfort
Old 15-04-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Get a bull bar
Old 15-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Sorry to hear about you and the missus.
I get great joy from throwin my leg over my GSX and taking it for a quick ride. Helps me clear my head and also puts a smile on my face. I try not to ride when really angry as I might not be concentrating on the riding enough...
Old 15-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadKa
No one wants to hear my sob story but my girl of 7 years broke up with me on Friday. No proper reason hardly any warning. I'm absolutely shattered. The thing that has saved me the most from going completely off the ropes is being able to hop into a semi decent car I enjoy and just fanging around all weekend. Even just sitting in the car is comforting. At least if I look after her she won't just turn around and wreck me like a woman. I'm not pretending I have a fantastic car but to me its a nice place to be. Anyone else found solace in their beast at a time of need?

(Mods feel free to delete thread if its not to standard, its just the more I talk about it the more its sinks in)
Sorry to hear about you and your missus. Must be hard after 7 years together but don't worry, you're not alone, a few of us are going through the same situation at the moment.

Can't say I've ever turned to my car in this time of need. Cadbury is usually the one to console me lol.

Krissy.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

I've just been through all that. Made the mistake of getting back together after 6 months apart, that was a waste of an additional three months. Obviously that didn't work out!

I found the key was exercise. I've lost heaps of weight (starting to put some back on in size) and after the gym you feel great all day.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #9
ms700
Big Member

Just do whatever makes you happy!

Breaking up is very stressful, if driving your car makes you feel happy, then do it! I like driving too, going for a nice cruise in one of my cars, crank up some tunes, its a super way to pass the time.

Tuned by GENTECH 567rwkw/760rwhp

BA XR6T Tuned by GENTECH 349rwkw.

2013 H/D Nightrod Special - DynoJet PowerVision tuned.
ms700 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
Ringo
I see you....

Hi Tadka - I too broke up with a girlfriend after many years….I think it was 6 or 7 years in total. Started going out when I was 17 or so. Never lived together but for a while we really tight and in our own world for a few years. When we busted up finally I was depressed and 'rudderless'. I really only had my work getting me out of bed in the morning (how sad is that?).

I enjoyed my freedom and thinking about things with a 'why not?' attitude instead of 'better not' attitude. I spent some (actually a lot of ) money on nice wine, bought an expensive push bike with all the trimmings, went driving for a week in the country just following my nose and a bunch of other things I wouldn't have done before.

I was actually just about book myself on a P&O cruise and was considering the price I had been given on a Club Car when I met Mrs Ringo….and everything changed. We were practically living together within a month.

I still regret not going on a Cruise and particularly not buying the Club Car….I need Kofie Annan from the UN to help me negotiate the Club Car at present with house reno's going on…

Whats my point?

Breaking up sucks but take the opportunity to do something or buy something that you couldn't our wouldn't have done before.

It will be good for your well being and sense of self also make you more attractive to the next lovely lady who pops up on the radar.

Also 'Solitary Man' by Neil Diamond and a bottle of expensive bottle of bourbon or red wine can also be good for your well being.

*thumps chest and salutes* - good luck brother !
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 12:55 PM   #11
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo

Also 'Solitary Man' by Neil Diamond and a bottle of expensive bottle of bourbon or red wine can also be good for your well being.

*thumps chest and salutes* - good luck brother !
Completely agree Ringo, Solitary Man and a Good Bourbon helped me along too

Fast Forward 2 years, I had my time to be independent- enjoy my car, get out on some cruises, do some traveling with my job...just do whatever and then came along a very special girl who I'm with at the moment..

Oh and one more word of advice...don't go looking for a new flame any time soon...just have time to yourself...Don't be the guy that looks for the right girl, be the right Guy that a girl looks for!
:

In a way- I'm happy for you...glad you didn't marry the wrong one and glad you'll get some time back to yourself....time to do some re-inventing

Welcome to the Brotherhood.

Soldier on champ
Old 15-04-2008, 12:57 PM   #12
tetgreg888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_v
mine takes ages to get ready to go anywhere, is moody, takes all my money and always starts a fight where it will cause maximum embarrassment to me. sometimes i get so upset I have to park her in the shed and go spend some time with my girlfriend ;)
I KNOW YOUR PAIN !!!
tetgreg888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #13
TadKa
Wait? What?

Haha, thanks guys. Good advice Ringo. Yeah I've been pretty depressed. I'll be better when I move into a new place with some mates. Then I'll be keen to hit the town and see what single people get up too these days. I was a big gambler in my younger days and this girl helped me with it so I just need to avoid getting back into it.

Somethings going on these days. I have now heard of at least a dozen long term couples broken up in the last 2 weeks. Also upsetting is I know of 3 people that have had someone close to them die suddenly.

Maybe this is punishment to those of us that didn't participate in earth hour?!?!?!?!
Old 15-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #14
Ringo
I see you....

Quote:
Haha, thanks guys. Good advice Ringo. Yeah I've been pretty depressed. I'll be better when I move into a new place with some mates. Then I'll be keen to hit the town and see what single people get up too these days. I was a big gambler in my younger days and this girl helped me with it so I just need to avoid getting back into it.

Somethings going on these days. I have now heard of at least a dozen long term couples broken up in the last 2 weeks. Also upsetting is I know of 3 people that have had someone close to them die suddenly.

Maybe this is punishment to those of us that didn't participate in earth hour?!?!?!?!

Stay away from the vices matey.....no-one wants a broke bloke .........

plus you never know when Miss Glamour : (or her cousin Miss Goodtime : ) will make herself available for dinner & drinks!...
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #15
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Haha, thanks guys. Good advice Ringo. Yeah I've been pretty depressed. I'll be better when I move into a new place with some mates.
You'll be right. Best to have good mates around at times like this. Truth is, I'm devastated over with my break up with RspecAU, especially since I'm 5½ months pregnant too but the amount of people that have come out to support me, especially from the forum, is helping me to get through this. Just stick with your mates, it will help.

And I think the best advice I've seen in here to you was from Bucket - "don't go looking for a new flame any time soon ... just have time to yourself"

Quote:
Doubt it. Some of us are just born cursed lol.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #16
TOASTED
JMM modded EF

yea well look on the bright side buddy, she taught you a lot of things no doubt, dont forget those things and you havent wasted 7 years, you actually sort of invested them and made yourself a better person. at least it wasnt 25 years 3 kids and 2 grandkids

Guess the alcohol tax is turning people to mind altering drugs.
I drive : A heavily modified EF Fairmont with a JMM dev5 cam, worked head, 3.5" mandrel bent intake, exhaust, and a few other bits n pieces like a stally etc.

"She goes like a zirtek"

WANT A FAST FORD RING THIS BLOKE V V

Abbott Engines for HeadWork
20 years experience
PH Rob on (07) 5526 3883
TOASTED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #17
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey buddy, im sad to hear what happened, but mate (and i completely understand this is 100000% easier said than done) try and be positive, nothing you can do about it, and no matter how much moping you want to do, it won't change a thing...

I agree with you about how the car can make you feel better (do you have a f6 like your avatar?).

but yeah, be positive, try and enjoy life and mate, think of it as a new lease on life rather than loosing someone.
Old 15-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #18
TadKa
Wait? What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
(do you have a f6 like your avatar?).
Nah just a n/a 6. thats my car though. I had a truck scratch up the bar so I wacked on a fibreglass gt bar. I think it looks good but a bit bare without an intercooler.
Old 15-04-2008, 03:32 PM   #19
BlackLS
yum

A relationship is like a freeway. There are so many exits, the first being the next morning.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #20
XXR6X
White Power!

My ex left me around 2 years ago now, after 8 years of Marriage, 2 kids and working 60+ hour weeks to pay off our house ...

I know it may not help you yet, but just remember that old saying as it is so very true - Time heals everything.

And yeah I also like to go for a cruise, makes me feel better if i'm ever down a bit ;)
Old 15-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #21
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
A relationship is like a freeway. There are so many exits, the first being the next morning.
Ever hear of wrong place, wrong time?

Good to hear that you are handling it better than some (like me) sitting around, drinking and thinking about what could have been...
When you move in with your mates it will be easier, and alot of fun.
Good luck with it.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 06:03 PM   #22
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_Turbs
I've just been through all that. Made the mistake of getting back together after 6 months apart, that was a waste of an additional three months. Obviously that didn't work out!

I found the key was exercise. I've lost heaps of weight (starting to put some back on in size) and after the gym you feel great all day.
Another vote for exercise....Its like a drug...fantastic...especially in times like these
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #23
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXR6X
My ex left me around 2 years ago now, after 8 years of Marriage, 2 kids and working 60+ hour weeks to pay off our house ...

I know it may not help you yet, but just remember that old saying as it is so very true - Time heals everything.

And yeah I also like to go for a cruise, makes me feel better if i'm ever down a bit ;)

Bit like me....I had gone off cars during 12 years of marriage and having 2 kids ...However once ther marriage was over (her decision, and her loss) now full on back into them...I didn't think 18 months ago I'd be driving a GT today....I'd never heard of a B series GT until joining these forums....Its amazing how life pans out...always for the better...one door closes, another opens...You'll be fine mate
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 06:33 PM   #24
Nappa
Impressive...

mate i can sort of understand how you feel, after 4yrs my gf has told me she wants to go on a 3month "break" i have no idea why and its the last thing i want to do. However i dont think i have much choice in the matter. Hopefully i can now spend a bit more time with my car. Maybe buy a new one with all the extra cash i will save.
Old 15-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #25
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Get yourself a cat if you get too lonley, just having a presence in the house can be soothing, and they love you and are cheap to please.
Old 15-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #26
mattl
Live Life To Full BOOOST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Get yourself a cat if you get too lonley, just having a presence in the house can be soothing, and they love you and are cheap to please.
Sounds like the exact opposite to my ex gf..leaves me when im lonely, hates me and is awfully expensive to please! :P

haha na but mate my ex broke up with me after a 3 yr long relationship last september, and for the first 2 months i was utterly shattered, depressed and just "negged-out" - Obviously now 7 months later I'm coping a LOT better, enjoying life a LOT more and have recently come across a gorgeous girl who i get along with like a house on fire! I also have a LOT more time for myself, and more importantly..my car hehe

Stick at it buddy, don't give up and enjoy life while your free!! Everyone at FF is here for ya chief!

2004 BAII XR6T - Lowered, Exhaust, Tint, Flash Tune, K&N Filter..what next? :

PREVIOUS CARS:

2000 Ford Falcon AUII Forte - Exhaust, lowered & tint

MK III Ford Cortina - Completely Stock!
mattl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #27
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

What you need is a rebound girl!, go out with some mates, get a bit drunk, find some decent girl, get with her, and then you will feel a little better! wont heal all wounds but it does help, well it did for me lol!
Old 15-04-2008, 11:07 PM   #28
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

yes well my el futura is my enjoyment as iam a single dude, it fills all my pleasureable moments especially when i have to spend money to get it fixed
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #29
TadKa
Wait? What?

Thanks for all support guys. We have a pretty good little community here on FF. I couldnt image going through a breakup with kids involved. would be really hard. I'm just wondering if I'll have commitment issues next time I get in a relationship. I wouldnt want to 'invest' in another relationship with 'miss right' only to have it end badly. I'm a fairly simple guy with relationships. My parents are my role models. I want what they have. I guess the thing is people do just change and move apart from each other. would just be nice to have some warning. Not perfect relationship one day, alone the next, no fight, no real reason.

Hopefully my mates will find a house tomorrow for us all to move into. I'm currently living in 'our' old house but she is living at her parents next door. Rather awkward.
Old 16-04-2008, 04:12 PM   #30
DayTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well you had better come for a drive and to the Mini Golf with us on Sunday. It will be a good day away thinking about other things. And it's a good chance to get back in the car again!
Hope to see you there.