Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-02-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
RUENVS_BA
Starter Motor

Default Ba XR6T on P's in Vic??

Hello everyone, im only new to the forums after selling my Vt commo a few weeks back. I am now looking at getting a XR6T and want to know if any other P'platers from Victoria have had problems with the boys in blue whilst driving one....

Thanks

Wayne

RUENVS_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

If its stock then you shouldnt have any problems providing you abide by the law! But they will keep an extra close eye on you i am sure!! (Sorry im in SA tho)..
Old 06-02-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
Parfrey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

most likely won't be covered by insurance if ya crash and i think it's 3 demerit points these days for driving a high powered vehicle... even if you got your P's before all the new rules came in.
Other than that i don't get much attention in a BA xr6 ute with a loud exhaust, lowered etc. (i'm on my P's)
Parfrey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Legally, your not supost to have it, my mate debadged it, his girl friend drives it and she is on her P's, been pulled up alot, never been asked. even when he had turbo badges on she stil drove it, got pulled up, never said a thing.
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 07:44 AM   #5
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_rossy
Legally, your not supost to have it, my mate debadged it, his girl friend drives it and she is on her P's, been pulled up alot, never been asked. even when he had turbo badges on she stil drove it, got pulled up, never said a thing.
were they too busy inspecting the shirt potatoes?
Old 07-02-2008, 07:53 AM   #6
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

i have lost count of how many p-plater's i have seen drivin xr6t's, i wouldnt mind one but the way some ppl drive there cars is ridiculous. no wonder they're bringing in all these new laws.
Current Mods-HD Built Gearbox+(Mirror Polished, Modified Valve Body), 2500rpm Hi-Stall Convertor(TCE Custom Built), BIG Trans Cooler, Braided Lines/Speedflow Fittings, 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Detailed UnderCarriage, Custom SQ Stereo Install.
My Ride
My Build Thread
sikford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
Tobey
BF Ute...

No insurance if you stack, and if your caught there goes your license. Is it worth $30,000+ if your crash?
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 09:51 AM   #8
XA-MONT
The Cam Distoryer >:)

well just a s a guide, i never had any drama's with the boys in blue whilst driving my XB ... and even non car people would be able to work out that its a V8 its that loud and beefy sounding.

the only comments ive had from police relating to the car is "nice car"

but the only times ive been pulled over is at bretho point or just RBT's never for doing anything stupid. im sure if they pulled me over for doing something stupid it would be a different case all together.

BTW im not on my P's since about 3 weeks ago
XA-MONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 11:57 AM   #9
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If he is not covered by insurance he would be screwed if he damaged property.

Also when he loses control and kills someone people might care about this technicality also.
stockel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #10
daveyf
Starter Motor

In my second year of driving my xr6T picked it up cheap from the auctions this time last year and have been driving it on my P's ever since... Insurance is a bit rich through just cars 2300 premium and 2000 excess.. though is still less than a wrx which premium is about 3900... I also believe that it is having respect for the car and its power, i have never performed a burnout or street raced in the T , though i have learnt to respect its power through my driving... Also in my three years on my P's i learnt to drive in a 2004 WRX and a Gen 3 SS thus why my respect for the power of high powered cars is greater and my awareness of there potential i believe i some what understand...

p.s. I am also legally allowed to drive the T due to an exception from VicRoads that i require the car for work purposes

Last edited by daveyf; 07-02-2008 at 12:15 PM.
daveyf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #11
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I thought P platers couldn't drive these cars, therefor thought you wouldn't be able to get insurance, however we know how much insurance companies like money so I guess they won't say no.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #12
daveyf
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockel
Yeah I thought P platers couldn't drive these cars, therefor thought you wouldn't be able to get insurance, however we know how much insurance companies like money so I guess they won't say no.
Just Cars insurance just love money... They don't give a stuff, if you pay them the money, well at least thats how it were when i insured my car last year.... i will tell you one hundred percent when my new policy comes through....
Old 07-02-2008, 12:32 PM   #13
daveyf
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikford
i have lost count of how many p-plater's i have seen drivin xr6t's, i wouldnt mind one but the way some ppl drive there cars is ridiculous. no wonder they're bringing in all these new laws.
I'm sorry but that is a generalization and quite a naive view... To say that the reasons these laws are coming through is due to the behavior OF SOME XR6T owners is ludicrous... correct me if i am wrong weren't there more cars impounded for hoon laws that were not on their P's and were driving more Holden Commodores... Now my view on these so called new p plate laws are that they will not save lives and will not slow p platers down, all they will achieve is a bandage solution to a very large problem... and that bandage solution will be a couple of bureaucrats and news organizations smiling and saying to themselves wow we are making a difference by shifting the blame for our large road toll on to younger drivers.... The bureaucracy has gone mad in relation to P plate laws , all the government is doing is using P platers as a scape goat and along the way conning the naive public into believing that it will make a difference....
Old 07-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #14
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

i was pulled over in my xr6 ute and the cop asked to see under the hood becuase he was convinced it was a turbo... had a look down the radiator and asked where i hid the intercooler... then he saw the twin throttle bodies and was like "so thats the noise is it?"

he loved it and let me go, but if it was a turbo i don't think i'd have been as lucky.

my oppinion, stick it out and get the T when you're off your P's. Insurance will want far too much for it until then. (if they'll cover you at all)

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #15
Shaggzy
"BMX_datto"

How long till you get off your p's??
Old 07-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #16
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

on the 14th, ironically thats the day i lose it for 6 months. Insurance is gonna love that.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:57 PM   #17
Falcon_Power_06

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDZ
i was pulled over in my xr6 ute and the cop asked to see under the hood becuase he was convinced it was a turbo... had a look down the radiator and asked where i hid the intercooler... then he saw the twin throttle bodies and was like "so thats the noise is it?"

he loved it and let me go, but if it was a turbo i don't think i'd have been as lucky.

my oppinion, stick it out and get the T when you're off your P's. Insurance will want far too much for it until then. (if they'll cover you at all)

i sort of wish i waited untill i was off my p's and got a turbo but then again ill probably just get one when im off me p's
Falcon_Power_06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #18
Parfrey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I rang an insurance company and asked about insuring an XR6t a while back and they said yeah no worries... then i told them that i'm not allowed to drive it on my p's and asked if that was ok, they said no and they can't insure me. so if i didn't say anything they would have happily taken my money. :
if your unlucky enough to crash into a building or something else and do millions of dollars worth of damage, i don't think they'll be paying.
Parfrey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 08:58 PM   #19
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake_7
im 20 yrs old and own a 2007 bf turbo which is puttin 255rwkw's,, debadged,despoilerd cops dont even look twice at me,as far as insurance goes cost me $1850 for agreed value of $45,000... couple of you have posted you wont be covered for insurance,but if they offer you insurance then how can they not pay up regardless of vicroads laws if they offer you a policy... then one would assume your covered?

Read the fine print, especially the "Duty of disclosure".

If you are not legally entitled to drive the car and they realise this when you try to make a claim, you will not be covered.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #20
marcel syawish
Starter Motor

ei mate im on my ps and dad gave me his ba GT, havnt had any trouble yet
Old 08-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #21
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhxrsix
I rang an insurance company and asked about insuring an XR6t a while back and they said yeah no worries... then i told them that i'm not allowed to drive it on my p's and asked if that was ok, they said no and they can't insure me. so if i didn't say anything they would have happily taken my money. :
if your unlucky enough to crash into a building or something else and do millions of dollars worth of damage, i don't think they'll be paying.
Exactly what I expected.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #22
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Read the fine print, especially the "Duty of disclosure".

If you are not legally entitled to drive the car and they realise this when you try to make a claim, you will not be covered.
An insurance companies job is to take your money very happily and then find any way possible not to give it back (pay a claim).

So as above guys don't expect to be safe because they took your money and as previously if you damage property or something then....
Old 08-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #23
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

then, they only give it back when you get your story on ACA or TT

Old 16-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #24
hot_mini
Starter Motor

im from nsw. just got my green P's and a ba xr6. being insured through dads work for $900 a year. wouldnt want to think of how much a turbo would be
hot_mini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #25
lilscotty1987ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockel

they wont so no ITLL u hit something! thet'll just say but u where driving it illegaly so u sort it out, been there done that!

my cousins xc cobra repli couldnt pull up in time and bumped the back of a brand new merc that pulled out in front of him and they said that cause u where driving the car illegaly u have to foot the bill! so he took it to court and eventaully got them to pay after 9months!

just think about power to weight and kws to weigh ratios! u have to be under on both, not just 1, so i found out with a 351 on gas in an xc ute! a 5.8lt motor has to be in a car that is about 1850kgs!! that makes for 1 hell'va impact!!
lilscotty1987ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #26
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

the law says nothing over 125kw's per ton. So legally no but they don't seem to really bother enforcing it

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 12:15 AM   #27
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel syawish
ei mate im on my ps and dad gave me his ba GT, havnt had any trouble yet
your dad just gave you a GT??

And how do you have a 2006 BA GT?

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #28
mattl
Live Life To Full BOOOST!

I personally don't think it's worth it..i mean its 3 demerit points and a $1200 fine for being caught on it. Remember you only got 4 points on your Ps (here in Adelaide anyway), better of waiting the 1-2 years, THEN getting the Turbo, paying much less insurance and not having to worry about every cop you see.

However, I'm only 18 and have a Turbo, but its legal for me here in Adelaide! (hehe love adelaide road laws -- but hates adelaide drivers!)

Anyway, best of luck and think about it very thoroughly. Think about all the positives and negatives of having one on your Ps, and if in your opinion the positives out-way the negatives go for it! But think long and hard about it..

2004 BAII XR6T - Lowered, Exhaust, Tint, Flash Tune, K&N Filter..what next? :

PREVIOUS CARS:

2000 Ford Falcon AUII Forte - Exhaust, lowered & tint

MK III Ford Cortina - Completely Stock!
mattl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 11:01 AM   #29
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are a probationary driver and obtained your licence after 1 July 2007, you can't drive a vehicle with:

* An engine of eight or more cylinders
* A turbocharged or supercharged engine
* Certain high performance six cylinder engines
* An engine that has been modified to increase the vehicle's performance.

If they get caught driving any of these vehicles, they’ll have to pay a fine ($1100) and you’ll receive three demerit points.

Vehicles excluded from these restrictions...

* Turbocharged or supercharged diesel powered cars (without engine performance modifications)
* Nominated vehicles with low powered turbocharged or supercharged engines, including Suzuki Cappucino 2D Cabriolet Turbo 3 cylinder 689cc, Daihatsu Copen L880 2D Convertible 4 cylinder 659cc
* All models of the Smart car, produced by Mercedes Benz.
* Vehicles driven as a part of the driver’s employment and at the request of the employer.

Thats some of the new rules that apply if you get your Ps after July 1st 2007, in 2008:

P1 drivers will only be able to carry one passenger aged 16-21 years. This means that P1 drivers will not be allowed to carry multiple passengers between 16 to 21 years of age.

Sucks ey? Couldn't you just buy a normal BA Falcon and then save up for a full turbo kit while you are on your Ps then have it fitted when you are off? Or is it way more complicated than that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #30
paul_r_d

IMO p-platers shouldnt drive anything bigger than a stock standard 6. Car power seems to go to young peoples heads.

The missus
2003 Rav4 4 door Cruiser
paul_r_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post