Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #1
XABEBAGT
GT Driver

Default Why block out number plates in photos?

Just curious as to why some people block out the number plates of their car when they post pictures. I guess they feel it makes them more secure but the reality is that your plates are on show when you drive your car around or when it is in a car show so does it really matter? Magazines and calenders almost never block number plates when they publish photos of cars. Personally, I have never considered it a problem to leave number plates uncovered but I do respect the decision of those who do. Just curious as to what benefit people perceive to gain from this exercise and has anyone ever had a problem caused by displaying their plates?
Cheers
Keith

XABEBAGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 12:05 AM   #2
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i block mine out because a forum or show etc. is a smorgasbord for anyone wanting to make a list of cars. if someone wants your car, they will get it, but why make it easy for them. i do not display my car outside of where it is kept, so only the people who see it drive into the driveway or garage have any idea that it is there. most of the people who see the car on the street do not care for cars in general, and while they may appreciate it, they have no interest in following you home. if i was going to steal a car, i would imagine forums and shows would be a perfect place to start looking. a forum especially is a way a lazy theif can get a list with no effort at all.
having said that, i am under the impression that you can no longer get the details of someone from their rego no. from the police. either way i wish to remain anonymous
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 12:14 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
having said that, i am under the impression that you can no longer get the details of someone from their rego no. from the police. either way i wish to remain anonymous
Same with the RTA for that matter. But this info can easily be sourced through the right chanels if someone wants it bad enough.

But spot on, it's a security issue. If you have a unique car, and someone wants it, showing your plates will be a method that they could look up where it's parked.

Also, as you are well aware, a forum can be the source of some heated debate. I guess if someone rubbed another person on here the wrong way, then same thing, the person could also be 'looked up' if they have ever displayed their plates. But hopefully that will never happen on this forum at least.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 12:31 AM   #4
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

I don't like my numberplate displayed to protect my identity on the internet.

I've heard stories of ricers from other forums being requested to bring thier vehicles
in for inspection after posting details of mods on the internet along with thier number plates in pics.

It also is handy so you can't be identified if you foolishly admit to something illegal
e.g street racing.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:32 AM   #5
RUKIDN
Missing the boost :(

For me, although id like to think we have pretty decent and genuine people on our fourms but i think the theory is if you have your pride and joy that has had thousands spent on it, having listed what it is and its mods etc. on the net if you then have pictures showing your rego and anyone can come across the suburb you live in from your info... you never know what lengths certain people would go to to steal certain cars. Persoanl plates being even more so easier to remember.

Sounds abit extreme maybe but hey you never know, me im not as worried but i still block them out for security.

cheers, chris
RUKIDN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 12:40 AM   #6
LTDHO
The one and only

I used to until I got my user name as my plates.

Before that, I didn't want the car to be 'known' when I was out and about.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 02:01 AM   #7
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

There was a bloke on here who got dobbed into the EPA by someone in another State because he had his numberplates on in his pictures. Shame that it would happen on a forum like this, but with this many members you can never be too sure.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #8
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
There was a bloke on here who got dobbed into the EPA by someone in another State because he had his numberplates on in his pictures. Shame that it would happen on a forum like this, but with this many members you can never be too sure.
WTF???

So now it's illegal to not cover your number plates when photographing the car?.....It's an environmental hazard?.....BS!

That makes no sense at all mate.

It's all paranoia anyway. People are worried about someone knowing where the car is kept......like they won't follow if home if they want it badly enough. If the car has ever been in a car park, or in a show, it kind of defeats the purpose.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
WTF???

So now it's illegal to not cover your number plates when photographing the car?.....It's an environmental hazard?.....BS!

obviously a user has a problem with another, whose car does not fit the epa standards and the first user has informed the epa of his details.
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #10
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
obviously a user has a problem with another, whose car does not fit the epa standards and the first user has informed the epa of his details.
Yeah, about the only thing that makes sense on that one

It's each to their own on this really, I just don't see it as a real issue with mine. I don't think I've ever bothered to cover the rego plate in photos of mine, as it is all over the place and easily seen anyway.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pro car theives usually have friends in the RTA who can look up the location of your car if they have the rego... so if you got a sexy and desirable peice you keep it secret lol.. some people also have illegal modifications so the plates are blocked for those reasons too
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #12
Electric XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i block mine out because a forum or show etc. is a smorgasbord for anyone wanting to make a list of cars. if someone wants your car, they will get it, but why make it easy for them. i do not display my car outside of where it is kept, so only the people who see it drive into the driveway or garage have any idea that it is there. most of the people who see the car on the street do not care for cars in general, and while they may appreciate it, they have no interest in following you home. if i was going to steal a car, i would imagine forums and shows would be a perfect place to start looking. a forum especially is a way a lazy theif can get a list with no effort at all.
well said.
Electric XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 08:33 PM   #13
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was a guy on a 4WD forum who had a photo of him recovering another 4WD out of a bog hole with a number plate showing.

That unsavoury character from the pedestrian counsel somehow had seen this photo decided he didn't like the look of this chap's 4WD and reported him to the RTA, next thing you know this guy has a inspection officer rock up to his work place.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #14
andrewts
White Car Driver

I am interested in this, I understand why people want to protect their identity online, it makes sense. You would be surprised how far identity theft will go. I feel compelled to block mine out, but I don't bother because the car is a stock as a rock (literally, completely) and it's about as desirable as a head cold.
andrewts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #15
XRTickfordNZ
XR Tickford Fanatic

Here in NZ, anyone can pay $2.50 at the local post shop with the rego number, you know every detail about owner, car and where it lives. Luckily my cars are addressed to a differant address but I still dont like to take the risk. I blank mine most of the time.

Cheers,

Brendon

1998 AU Fairmont Wagon, XR6 front kit....His
2002 AUIII XR6 Sedan, Blueprint, tints, tinted lights, BA XR wheels, leather....Hers
2008 Tandem Axle Trailer, The Falcon Hauler

XRTickfordNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 09:51 PM   #16
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I havent really given it much thought,
My car is VERY secure where its stored mostly,and your average criminal does'nt have the wherewithall to get your details from a number plate,
and there is always shannons...
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 10:00 PM   #17
BionicGT
Living in GT Nirvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewts
I am interested in this, I understand why people want to protect their identity online, it makes sense. You would be surprised how far identity theft will go. I feel compelled to block mine out, but I don't bother because the car is a stock as a rock (literally, completely) and it's about as desirable as a head cold.
Same reason you don't reveal your date of birth on any online forum. If someone gets your DOB, and then your name and home address from your number plate, they have all they need for identity theft. Think about it, what questions do nearly all companies, incl banks & insurance companies, ask you to check who you are...........name, address and DOB.

I see a large number of people state their DOB under their AFF profile.....not a wise move.
BionicGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #18
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
WTF???

It's all paranoia anyway. People are worried about someone knowing where the car is kept......like they won't follow if home if they want it badly enough. If the car has ever been in a car park, or in a show, it kind of defeats the purpose.
Haha no he didn't get dobbed in for displaying number plates, I mean wtf?!
He had a picture of the engine bay in which you could see the Number plate. Someone didn't like a certain mod he/she had done so they forwarded a complaint to the EPA with the picture attached.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 10:34 PM   #19
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I couldnt give a hoot! Bit hard to be discreet when driving around sometimes. Been followed home, followed to work, followed until I have stopped somewhere. I just keep it as locked up and secure as I can and have it well insured. Doesnt bother me too much. Friend picked it up a short while ago and I had a phone call with in 10 minutes from someone who saw it driving without me in it!

Could understand the EPA thing but can happen driving around on the road anyways. Can always say that the pics were taken at a show and the trailer was parked around the corner to take it home??

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #20
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XABEBAGT
Just curious as to why some people block out the number plates of their car when they post pictures. I guess they feel it makes them more secure but the reality is that your plates are on show when you drive your car around or when it is in a car show so does it really matter? Magazines and calenders almost never block number plates when they publish photos of cars. Personally, I have never considered it a problem to leave number plates uncovered but I do respect the decision of those who do. Just curious as to what benefit people perceive to gain from this exercise and has anyone ever had a problem caused by displaying their plates?
Cheers
Keith

Good question...Although I can't work out how to do it...I have a Fuji camera with the related software that came with it but just cant work out how to do it...any ideas chaps?
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #21
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGT
I see a large number of people state their DOB under their AFF profile.....not a wise move.
Right...I'm editing my profile...Good advice there champ
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 01-02-2008, 10:47 PM   #22
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xafordgod
Here in NZ, anyone can pay $2.50 at the local post shop with the rego number, you know every detail about owner, car and where it lives. Luckily my cars are addressed to a differant address but I still dont like to take the risk. I blank mine most of the time.

Cheers,

Brendon
Mate I remember living in NZ electoral rolls were on display too in every Post Office, so even if you had an unlisted telephone number (called a silent number for those Aussies who don't know what i'm on about) someone could easily find your address through the electoral rolls...so much for privacy.