Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 31-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
AusM
AusMotorsport

Default Anyone annoyed by PM read receipt popups?

There's a thread in the feedback section, so please post your thoughts there!

Forum admins can easily tick an option to give forum users the choice of whether they want the annoying read receipt popup or not... but they need to hear for you first if you want to have a choice or not!

Old 31-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
plext
Forum Director

Just hop off your horse for one moment and halt the crusade.

The option you refer to is in later versions of vbulletin, which I have in testing now for a general site upgrade. It's a change in methodology from the developers rather than the easy tick box solution you are advocating.

With this iteration of the forum software so close to end of life, I will not be making any changes to it at this point.
Old 31-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

I dont have a problem with it at all. Just click OK and it goes.
Old 31-01-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Odd thread for a site sponsor....
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 31-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not strange at all considering site sponsors probably get a lot more PMs than your average forum user.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
Old 31-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont99
Not strange at all considering site sponsors probably get a lot more PMs than your average forum user.
There is a reason for that. Not really hard to click "OK" or "Cancel" in a pop up box every now and then.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 31-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

I just read a thread in the pub about petrol running out, not as annoying as pop ups but still annoying, if you understand the level of annoyance I am experiencing you will realise just how annoyance is annoyingly annoying
Old 31-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #8
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
I just read a thread in the pub about petrol running out, not as annoying as pop ups but still annoying, if you understand the level of annoyance I am experiencing you will realise just how annoyance is annoyingly annoying
That comment is just plain annoying Laminge!! Thanks...day is ruined!!
Old 31-01-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Were did that thread get moved to?
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
Old 31-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #10
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

I personally like to know if i send a pm the receiving party has actually read it
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 31-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #11
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
I personally like to know if i send a pm the receiving party has actually read it
x 2.

Ed
Old 31-01-2008, 08:14 PM   #12
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASYBOSS
Were did that thread get moved to?

Lost the plot

Next time one of his threads get deleted he will also have lost access
Old 31-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #13
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i just hit enter straight after sending the message, which automatically selects 'yes'. It's hardly a difficult task
Old 31-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #14
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

There is already a thread on this in the site support area - if other members are equally worried post your concerns in that thread.
As pointed out before it is NOT as simple as simply clicking a single tick box for each seperate user. The reasons for having the read recipts in place far outweigh the negatives, and thus the choice for it to remain in place.
If the pm system is overly inconvenient due to the read receipt acknowledgement (tis only a single mouseclick - not a lot on the grand scheme of things) then if you would like we can disable your pm access, and have all contact sent via regular email.
As per most issues of this nature, rather then putting up multiple threads in multiple areas, have you considered taking this to pm???

Last edited by wulos; 31-01-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Closed Thread