Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-01-2008, 01:00 AM   #1
paul_r_d

Default School zone thoughts...

Just something that I think about... I think the time controlled 40km school zones potentially are more dangerous... why you ask cos of the following

-Who loses concentration when they are approaching school zones to check the time? The 8.30 time slot is easy to judge, but the 2.30-4.00??? I mean come on!!!

-Who takes there eyes off the road to check an in car clock, or yet worse- their mobile???

-Who asks their passengers if its "school holidays"?

For those of us who dont have children I find this hard!

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this........

The missus
2003 Rav4 4 door Cruiser
paul_r_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 01:50 AM   #2
prydey
Rob

its obvious you don't have kids!! you should always drive with caution around schools/kids etc regardless of time of day.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 02:21 AM   #3
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
its obvious you don't have kids!! you should always drive with caution around schools/kids etc regardless of time of day.
Exactly! I am no fan of stupid speed limits, but around schools I'm happy to do 40km/h. Even during school holidays or weekends there's still always the potential for kids to be around playing in the school grounds.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 01:58 AM   #4
andrewts
White Car Driver

Being a student, and going to a school on a road with two other schools, I really appreciate it when blockheads slow the hell down. Learn to cope buddy!
andrewts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 02:22 AM   #5
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Timed speedlimits are pathetic. Just put a 40zone up. Monday Friday during daylight hours. Then you can whinge how slow the road is.

PS: we should leave road safety upto the kids. Natural selection will get rid of the ones who will struggle later on anyway

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 02:30 AM   #6
plext
Forum Director

I like the flashing lights concept. Makes it clear and hopefully raises awareness that there may well be kids about.

Surely the $2.8 bazillion raised weekly in fines could cover a rollout within a reasonable timeframe?
plext is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 05:46 AM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plext
I like the flashing lights concept. Makes it clear and hopefully raises awareness that there may well be kids about.

Surely the $2.8 bazillion raised weekly in fines could cover a rollout within a reasonable timeframe?

Exactly ... it does make it easier for everyone.
I know it does for me when out delivering ... just saves me the extra 2-3 seconds to figure out if it's school zone time or not.

I don't have kids ... but I do see that it is important to slow down for these areas ... the amount of times I have seen kids chase a ball out onto the road without thinking/looking is scary.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Exactly ... it does make it easier for everyone.
I know it does for me when out delivering ... just saves me the extra 2-3 seconds to figure out if it's school zone time or not.

I don't have kids ... but I do see that it is important to slow down for these areas ... the amount of times I have seen kids chase a ball out onto the road without thinking/looking is scary.
I have seen kids hit by cars crossing busy roads (all pm), all were before the 40 zone came in. All where drivers chasing the amber before red to get through the intersection.
(The kids injuries were broken legs/arms and concussion).
They were all lucky the cars were coming onto the main road and not doing 60. A 40 ka hit is always better than a 60.

I agree the flashing lights should be standard. There is no easy answer to holidays (don't forget public and private schools have different start/finish days as well).

Kids get drilled at school to look both ways etc crossing the road, but like car drivers, they don't also remember or obey road safety rules (at any age)

My 2 cents worth,
Uncle Ken
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 03:41 AM   #9
fmc351
let it burn

Unbelievable. Another one admitting he cant walk and chew gum at the same time.

Consider a travel card.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #10
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351

Consider a travel card.
Exactly mate. Well said.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #11
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Consider a travel card.

I don't think your post could be considered constructive.

The gist of paul r d's post is valid.

I have no school-age children children and drive through a "school zone" every day. I have no idea when school holidays start and stop, so to be safe, I quite often drive through the zone at 40kph without realising it is holiday time, (much to the annoyance of some fellow motorists). I also take time to check the time in my watch when approaching a school zone. And as some zones have different times, I have to concentrate on reading the time on the road sign as well and so on.

By contrast, the flashing 40km signs as mentioned by "plext" that I've seen outside some NSW shools are brilliant and leave every motorist in no doubt.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #12
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Consider a travel card.
Hahah yeh mate i agree. If people find it hard to follow the time and slow down for school zones they shouldn't be driving at all!
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #13
Zeuspig

Agreed
Zeuspig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #14
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_XC
Hahah yeh mate i agree. If people find it hard to follow the time and slow down for school zones they shouldn't be driving at all!
You have a watch that can loose time and you are the only car on the road no kids abaout and get done at 901 am by the coppers watch - a warning system would prevent all this - simple it is not rocket science but to some people it is
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #15
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_XC
again, the point isnt about people NOT wanting to follow the zone limits, its about the fact that they are fixed signs NOT electronic signs that tell you the speed limit.
im one of the ones that dont have kids, i dont hang around kids, and i sure as hell dont know when the school holidays start or finish.
"oh, look around...school kids on the side of the is a good sign its not school holidays"......
LAME.
i always see mass amounts of school children standing beside the road at 2:40pm almost everyday....oh hang on....I DONT because they're in class.
we have a couple of electronic zones here and they make a world of difference.
i know when school is on because the sign tells me to do 40kmh instead of 70kmh.
the government has collected enough money already, if they are serious about safety and NOT collecting revenue, then its about time EVERY school zone had electronic speed signs.
good to see there still those here that feel children dont have to have any road safety knowledge as well. <- thats sarcasm too incase you cant figure it out.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 05:53 AM   #16
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Well, gee. Masses of kids on the footpath is a pretty good indication that it's probably a good idea to check your speed and keep an eye on any stray kids. Just about every car I've owned in the last 10 or so years had a clock easily visible at a glance, if I lost concentration everytine I glanced at my clock (as I have to drive around and make appointments several times a day) I'd hand in my licence.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 07:34 AM   #17
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here, there are 20mph signs with school zone. They are large. You only need to slow down to 20mph when the big yellow lights are flashing. No hidden speed cameras, no traps, no need to check your watch. Everyone slows down when the lights are flashing, and everybody is safe. Driving through Sydney was completely the opposite. Traps everywhere! Hopefully the revenue raising will stop one day back home.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 09:39 AM   #18
Josh L
Laser Driver?

I don't have an issue with the school zones... kids muck around on the footpath and such while waiting for "mum and dad", so some kid tripping and falling on the road is highly likely.

The way I see it, it is either you just bloody put up with the signs and do the right thing

OR

get locked up for running over some kid because you couldn't stop in time and end up regretting it for the rest of your life.

I can't stand the barrage of "MORONS" that tailgate people who obey the school zones.

I shall now not type anymore on this, as my blood is beginning to simmer.

Josh.
Old 26-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #19
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I automatically slow down when I approach schools regardless, I have no drama looking slightly to the right to check what time it is, and there are signs all over the shop telling me its a school zone and its time to slow down! What did the other guys say, you mustnt be able to walk and chew gum at the same time? lol
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 10:47 AM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I think Adel has the flashing light system, well they did 30 odd years ago.

Unfortunately for that to happen to every school here (NSW) the RTA will wait untill some kid get hit first.

As for the inane comments
Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
and
Quote:
It's good to see that we have people that have NEVER broken a school speed limit and spend a good amount of time checking their speedo and clock.
Old 26-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #21
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
I think Adel has the flashing light system, well they did 30 odd years ago.

Unfortunately for that to happen to every school here (NSW) the RTA will wait untill some kid get hit first.

As for the inane comments

and

It's good to see that we have people that have NEVER broken a school speed limit and spend a good amount of time checking their speedo and clock.

i wasn't saying i've never broken the law. i've even been caught for excess speed in a 25 zone (pedestrian xing) but that was before i had kids of my own which was my point. most times its not until your own circumstances change that you appreciate certain things. i now have my own daughter and see first hand the morons that don't slow down around schools. truth be known i used to be like that. now, because it affects me directly i see it as dangerous behaviour. whenever you are behind the wheel you should drive with a level of awareness at all times and maybe just step it up a notch in certain situations.
Old 26-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #22
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMHO and I could not give a flying big one what people think
ALL variable speed zones have flashing lights to warn of a speed change WHY IN THE HELL school zones do not have these it would make it easier for drivers and the cops behind the bus shed to know what time of the day it is
I have been through a few that flash and have a big red 40 sign in neon so you can't miss it and with the crap load of money the gov't get from the speeding tax that is where it should be invested
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #23
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
I have no school-age children children and drive through a "school zone" every day. I have no idea when school holidays start and stop, so to be safe, I quite often drive through the zone at 40kph without realising it is holiday time, (much to the annoyance of some fellow motorists). I also take time to check the time in my watch when approaching a school zone. And as some zones have different times, I have to concentrate on reading the time on the road sign as well and so on.

By contrast, the flashing 40km signs as mentioned by "plext" that I've seen outside some NSW shools are brilliant and leave every motorist in no doubt.
Oh come on, this complaint goes with the other half baked thought that speed cameras make you drive like Nanna huddled over the steering wheel to ensure they dont creep over the limit. When people start complaining in such terms, its not surprising they dont realise how incompetent they reveal themselves to be.

Think about your complaint, you have no idea when holidays start so it annoys other road users. Oh boo bloody hoo, get over it, or read a calendar. So what? Kids do dumb stuff, its part of being a kid so the only way to address the problem is slow motorists down.

I do like the idea of flashing lights, but until they are everywhere I manage to check the clock, and observe the times without drama.
Quote:
I have never broken a school zone limit, Ive broken other laws, but dont make a habit of it, however a school zone is not one. Id make anyone doing 50 in a school zone automatic loss of licence.

How long does it take to check a speedo? Or read the time? Its usually digital for Christs sake.

"Ummm, the big hand is on the 2 and the little hand is...." What are ya's, 5?

Its part of having a licence, checking mirrors while driving, headchecks when changing lanes, keeping an eye on your speed does not mean stare at the speedo. There is so much harder to manage things with driving, if you master a basic, you need to rethink your suitability to drive. Yeah yeah truck driver, I remember the 400,000km post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG23BP
You have a watch that can loose time and you are the only car on the road no kids abaout and get done at 901 am by the coppers watch - a warning system would prevent all this - simple it is not rocket science but to some people it is
Yeah, allow 5-10 minutes either side and you should be OK. Unless you dont even try to keep your watch in time, but then Id wonder why have a watch if you dont care what time it reads.

I can hear it already, "what, thats 5 minutes I shouldnt have too"

These type of systems of flashing lights or adjustable speed limit signs rolled out nationwide to every school would not be cheap and you wont like the bill, and kids face danger until its done. I agree they should be done, but until then, make do with what we have. Its not bloody hard, or shouldnt be.

And davway that sarcasm is ludicrous. Kids do have to have road sense, but the fact is they act on impulse thats what kids do by nature, its just a shame that half the drivers havent out grown that same trait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Crazy
What i do know is there is no law which states i must know

a) What time it is
b) When school is in.
Yes there is. The school zone itself necessitates you to know or abide by it all times, by default the law requires you to know. You cant claim you had no idea and get out of it.

Last edited by fmc351; 26-01-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 26-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Ah, you have to love the poster with 'attitude'

Quote:
Think about your complaint, you have no idea when holidays start so it annoys other road users. Oh boo bloody hoo, get over it, or read a calendar. So what? Kids do dumb stuff, its part of being a kid so the only way to address the problem is slow motorists down.
I never actually noticed a complaint in Pedro's post
Quote:
How long does it take to check a speedo? Or read the time? Its usually digital for Christs sake.
"Ummm, the big hand is on the 2 and the little hand is...." What are ya's, 5?
So can we assume that every time you approach a school you look to see what time it is?

You might do a little better if it was constructive critism instead of straight out abuse.
Old 26-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #25
prydey
Rob

i think if every time someone approached a school zone they should assume there could be kids around and adopt the necessary caution. i find it amusing that there appear to be some who think if its outside the times quoted on the sign then they'll do there 60kph regardless of the surroundings.
Old 26-01-2008, 11:59 PM   #26
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Ah, you have to love the poster with 'attitude'

I never actually noticed a complaint in Pedro's post
Well its a stretch to say it was an observation given the context of the issue raised. Im sure you wont be the only the one to miss it, you know with looking at a clock or speedo being a difficult task to begin with.

How do you people manage a headcheck when changing lanes?

Quote:
So can we assume that every time you approach a school you look to see what time it is?
If Im not aware of the time before I get there or Im in an area Ive never driven before, yes you can. It doesnt take more than a second, and my foot is already slightly on the brake pedal at that time anyway as I slow to 40 by the time I get to the sign, not after I pass it. If its early or after the times, then its no drama to go back to 60 from 55.

*Waits for tailgaters to rant about how running up my clacker is likely as a result.
Quote:
You might do a little better if it was constructive critism instead of straight out abuse.
The post was toned for the audience. There are many posts that do provide constructive criticism, the same nonsensical responses still keep coming...

Its too hard ...
Old 29-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #27
theunfairadvant

I lost count of the number of times i see cars fly pass me doing
80km/h to 100km/h in a 40km/h school zones, those drivers need
to be shot in the head.
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 02:27 PM   #28
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

I m pleased they have installed flashing signs in NSW - i dont have kids, haven't worn a watch since 1994 and my clock could well be incorrect - who ows. What i do know is there is no law which states i must know

a) What time it is
b) When school is in.

In the interest of road safety, they should flash - no one wants to hit a stray kid, i dont mind slowing down, i just want advice when the limit is in place for everyones sake.
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #29
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With such wide and contrasting opinions and attitudes about driver behaviour and road etiquette towards the road rules (or rather contept of...) its not surprising there are so many accidents every day.
Driving home this afternoon as i approached an intersection the lights turned amber so i braked.. 2 seconds after applying the brakes i hear a howl of tyres behind me.. i look in the rear view mirror and see the car behind me locked up and smoke pouring of the rear tyres so i eased off the brake peddle to give him room to stop, by this time i was 6 feet over the pedestrian lines, then he had the audacity to abuse me for stopping for the amber!
The lights went green and he sat up my bum for about 100m's till a flash of blue and red behind him ended his stupidity... What he hadnt ralised was there was a police car behind him the whole time who had witnessed the whole debarcle.. i hope they threw the book at him....

Old 26-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #30
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
With such wide and contrasting opinions and attitudes about driver behaviour and road etiquette towards the road rules (or rather contept of...) its not surprising there are so many accidents every day.
Driving home this afternoon as i approached an intersection the lights turned amber so i braked.. 2 seconds after applying the brakes i hear a howl of tyres behind me.. i look in the rear view mirror and see the car behind me locked up and smoke pouring of the rear tyres so i eased off the brake peddle to give him room to stop, by this time i was 6 feet over the pedestrian lines, then he had the audacity to abuse me for stopping for the amber!
The lights went green and he sat up my bum for about 100m's till a flash of blue and red behind him ended his stupidity... What he hadnt ralised was there was a police car behind him the whole time who had witnessed the whole debarcle.. i hope they threw the book at him....
Brilliant, I'd loved to have been there