Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-12-2007, 09:51 PM   #1
big fella
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Young man taken too soon.

I work at a relatively small, private RTO (registered training organisation). Easiest way to think of it is as a small TAFE College that only teaches a few specialty courses. In our case, those courses relate to the heavy automotive industry, the mining sector and warehousing. My primary job is teaching truck and earthmoving mechanic apprentices.

We are only relatively young, opened four years ago, but the ultimate fear for many of us is losing a student to the road. As much as I dislike generalisations, stats say that young male drivers are more likely to die on our roads than any other.

Well, this morning, around 7a.m. a mini bus with a band and crew travelling from Brisbane to Sydney crashed somewhere near Coffs Harbour. The band members and crew hail from Geelong, and one of the two people tragically taken was a first year apprentice of ours.

This kid was in his early 20s, had a good head on his shoulders, and possibly 80 good years in front of him. His family will now be in the depths of sorrow while most of us are celebrating this Christmas time. Every Christmas from now will mark the time they lost their son.

I don't know who was driving, the circumstances under which they were driving, or any other information. Guessing serves no purpose, so I won't do it. The fact remains for me, that when the students return to my work next year, there'll be an empty seat where this young man should be sitting.

As well as generalisations, I generally dislike do good preachers, but I'm going to break that rule too. Especially across this Christmas period, take a deep breath before you do something stupid, and picture your Mum, wife, husband or child crying on christmas morning because their son, husband, daughter, mother isn't there to share the day with them.

big fella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 09:54 PM   #2
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Man I knew Red Shore, sucked when I heard the news.

Condolences to friends and family.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 10:00 PM   #3
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Its a good reccommendation for all of us. I was nearly rear ended cause a p plater was too busy talking on his mobile phone this morning. I hope he has got the idea after i got out of my car and said a few choice words....
Have a safe one everybody.
Condolences to all friends and family..
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #4
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

I have mates in local Geelong metal bands who were very close to these guys, they'll be hurting at the moment.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #5
sauso
Starter Motor

Yeah i was mate's with the lead singer who was killed in the crash. It is just so devestating. He was my brothers best mate. I was only taking him home from a gig a week before...

The other guy who died was the merch salesman. He used to drum for my brothers band a fallen theory. he was driving at the time.
sauso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 10:19 PM   #6
bigdave
Ford Fanatic

i read about this accident today on news.com.au, it is very sad and my condolences go to the friends and family of both the young men who have passed

Menace 2005 BAII XR6
bigdave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 10:59 PM   #7
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

From what the news said, it looks like fatigue was responsible. It kills so many many people each year yet there is no way of stopping people from driving tired unfortunately.

Sad loss for the families of the two people who died.
Old 19-12-2007, 11:10 PM   #8
sauso
Starter Motor

yeah it's just terrible. i am the merchindiser/driver for my brothers band, we just got back from an east coast tour on monday. I can tell you that 40 hours without sleep aint good. i took a power nap and i reckon it saved my/all of the band members lives.
sauso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #9
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my mum told me about this last night, sorry to hear it. Sometimes its just very hard to keep deadlines, they probably had a gig that afternoon somewhere and were in a rush. when your trying your hardest to get somewhere like in the music industry somtimes there just isnt time to think things through

what was the band called?
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #10
dandandandan

Yeah this has been a terrible shame.
I was supposed to be playing a 2 shows with them this weekend at Destroy Music Tour with All shall Perish the band they were on tour with.

The whole Hardcore/Metal music scene is absolutely gutted by this loss.

If you're going to the show, please buy a ribbon to help the band out and their families through their loss.

Not too long ago a mate of mine had a tour in the US and they had also had a van accident, the singer and his wife passed away but luckily the rest of the band survived. It was on the news also, was a terrible loss.
dandandandan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2007, 11:19 AM   #11
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Band was called The Red Shore. www.myspace.com/theredshore
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 08:53 PM   #12
big fella
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went to Andrew's funeral today. Big gathering, a crowd, music and atmosphere that he would have liked. First time I've seen a makeshift metal band play in a Catholic church, during a Catholic service no less. Andrew's restored Kingswood panel van (HT I think) was used as the Hearse.

In most negative situations I try and find a positive, it's hard to find a positive in this.
big fella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 11:43 PM   #13
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

My Heart Felt Sympathy to all families, Friends and Fans in this tragic time.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2007, 02:47 AM   #14
Werd.
nou

Thats really sad to hear, condolences to family and friends.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post