Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-09-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default My DSL is broken :(

Goddamn,

Ive had some trouble with Optus in the last 24 hours, rang them up last night as my internet shat itself, they said we will ring you back, no call so I ring them and they tell me they are sending a tech to my house between 9 - 12 tomorrow, im like thanks for telling me.

Anyways I can't see how the issue can be at my end, i have no phones connected to the line, just the modem itself, to make sure the modem wasnt stuffed i just went and bought a new one, connected it all and its saying the same thing.. I have ADSL connection but theres an issue at their end, no status..

So if the ADSL light is on and its gaining some sort of ADSL connection, would that assume that the issue is internal at their end? Either way it seems im back to dialup till its fixed, which is painfully slow, how anyone can live with this is beyond me..

Any assistance would be appreciated :

2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

Did you make sure the username you used on the modem is the same as your one with optus, otherwise it wont work.
Took a tech 2 minutes to work that one out for me.....After 2 weeks of no internet :(
Old 13-09-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Mine is still working. Apparently. I'm on the 512 plan.
This was the last speed test I did:

Had the computer rebuilt and upgraded twice. A friend tried to log in and have a look around the other night, but it was too slow for him to even get in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bullshit.JPG (48.1 KB, 83 views)
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yeah I changed the username...

I just got rid of it and went to Bigpond, so over Optus plus I got a much better deal out of Bigpond thanks to our landlines and mobiles. Now i have to wait a week.
Old 13-09-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
YI just got rid of it and went to Bigpond
Sigh! Another waste of money and crap support!
There are much better ISP's out there than Telstra and Optus. Internode is a good one, based here in Adelaide. Westnet and iiNet are good too.
Virgin Broadband seems to be taking off as well. $60 a month gets you phone + 4Gb of internet. No line rental costs. A couple of friends are using it and seems to be OK.
Also look at switching to VoIP.

I would suggest that you research the alternatives and ditch Bigpong as well.

Have a look at Whirlpool: www.whirlpool.net.au, especially the broadband choice page.

Edit: If you want to troubleshoot your broadband (I'm assuming it's ADSL) then unplug everything from the phone points and only plug in the modem. No filters, no nothing else, including foxtel and alarms if you have them. If it works, then plug things back in one by one until it fails and there is the culprit. If it doesn't work, then wait for the Optus tech to come out.
Old 13-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only have the option of Telstra or Optus with my work..

We have Telstra at work and never have to touch it, it works 24/7.
Old 13-09-2007, 09:26 PM   #7
Fairmont4

Default optus dsl

Ive been in the comms industry, and im sure you have checked your username and password, if its cable , usually its on their end, if its adsl, the cable that leads in tou your property maybe faulty, or out in the street where the pit is , water may have got in the joins, i would suggest plugging in a phone with a filter on it and see how you go . pm me if you need more help.
Fairmont4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2007, 09:42 PM   #8
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel your pain.
We had trouble with our phone last week, ADSL was still fine, so I knew it wasn't my lines. Rang AAPT and they passed on a service request to Telstra and next day Telstra went to the exchange and fixed our phone. Only problem is they broke our ADSL!!!
Back on the phone to AAPT and being a Thursday they couldn't get Telstra to fix it til Monday. 4 days on dial up was craptacular!
I'm not even with Telstra, yet they still have the power to screw you around :P

On another note sgt_doofey mentioned Virgin broadband.
A co-worker just signed up for this and is furious with it. Sending it back and getting ADSL now. The Virgin unit uses the GPRS system, for internet and voice, and he has had nothing but trouble with it. Can't even make local calls most of the time.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2007, 10:00 PM   #9
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I have Optus DSL never been a problem with it, did they maybe upgrade you to ADSL2 and the modem can't handle it.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2007, 10:02 PM   #10
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

There could be noise on the line, ask them to connect you at a slower speed.

I was offline for 4 weeks before I actually spoke to someone who knew what was going on, they played with the settings on their end to reduce my connection speed and I was back up and running
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2007, 10:04 PM   #11
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

was the speed change noticable?

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2007, 10:04 PM   #12
farah9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Only have the option of Telstra or Optus with my work..

We have Telstra at work and never have to touch it, it works 24/7.
Only trouble is that telstra counts uploads as downloads so if you upload a lot you'll use up your quota pretty quick. I found out the 2 nights ago when a sales person came to my door and told me he can give me 25gb a month for less than what i'm paying now for 14gb peak/ 7gb off peak, I asked him if they still count the uploads and he said no. I ended up accepting the offer and then checked around and found out they still do.

Looks like i'll be getting out before the cooling off period ends.
farah9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2007, 10:08 PM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well the last guy i spoke to was going to ring me before 6 with some sort of out come, the scary part was that they acknowledged there was an issue at their end, reckon they fixed it and that it was then my end? How can you have issues at both ends, when nothings changed here and I even bought a new modem to fix it.

Then to top things off they tell me that they were going to turn up here between 9 - 12 tomorrow, im sorry but i have a business to run and cant be sitting here for 3 hours waiting for some to turn up and make sure I have filters on my lines (which are all disconnected).

Anyhow im sick of Optus's call centre and their staffs lack of communication skills, hopefully ill have bigpond next week and my problems will float away, or they will atleast get fixed with some degree of care.
Old 13-09-2007, 10:09 PM   #14
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthofan
was the speed change noticable?

No Actually

Because it was trying to connect at the faster speed, I was getting a crap connection

The same 5meg file at the slower connect downloaded 5 times faster

Go Figure
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2007, 10:10 PM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by farah9
Only trouble is that telstra counts uploads as downloads so if you upload a lot you'll use up your quota pretty quick. I found out the 2 nights ago when a sales person came to my door and told me he can give me 25gb a month for less than what i'm paying now for 14gb peak/ 7gb off peak, I asked him if they still count the uploads and he said no. I ended up accepting the offer and then checked around and found out they still do.

Looks like i'll be getting out before the cooling off period ends.
Im on the 12 gb plan with 24mbps?, only really use it for forums and my business, so downloads dont bother me, speed does tho..
Old 13-09-2007, 11:27 PM   #16
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by farah9
Only trouble is that telstra counts uploads as downloads
Optus do to now since their recent plan revision.

http://whirlpool.net.au/article.cfm/1744
Old 13-09-2007, 11:43 PM   #17
BlackLS
yum

Optus is in the stage of bringing all the Optus broadband customers on Telstra wholesale to its own ADSL2+ DSLAMS. DSL light but no internet is definatly a authentication issue. Perhaps the 5 min outage whilst they migrate could have caused this? Have you checked their outage advisory.

Try changing from PPPoA to PPPoE or vice versa in your router settings and powercycle the modem.

Recently at work we had a Linksys WAG54G (worst modem ever, its a reboxed $800 Cisco router as well!) that was pretty tempremental and would display similar symtoms (ie DSL light butno Internet). It ended up being the crap firmware corrupting the settings or similar - to fix the problem, you would need to do a factory reset from the software interface, another one holding in the button for 30 sec on the back, restore by entering each setting in individually saving each time, then powercycling again to get it online.

I've had similar problems when upgrading modem firmware - After upgrade it won't sync, reflash with the previous software and it works fine... Go figure...

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 12:15 AM   #18
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I am about to jump onto TPG's 24mbit service. For $70/month, I get 40GB on peak downloads and 110GB off peak downloads. I'm happy.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 12:42 PM   #19
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well its all fixed, there was an issue with the lines out on the road, Telstra just came and fixed them and im back on the net... Still changing to Telstra next week...
Old 14-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #20
Stealth00

Default HugoNet

Hello all - A Geelong based ISP called HugoNet has resently upgraded their plans with greater download limits and they don't count uploads.

Check them out www.hugonet.com.au
Stealth00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2007, 10:21 AM   #21
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For a comparison of plans available: http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc-plan.cfm
Old 22-09-2007, 10:37 PM   #22
farah9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Optus do to now since their recent plan revision.

http://whirlpool.net.au/article.cfm/1744
EDIT: I just had a look at the link you can still keep the plans with free uploads, only the new plans with unlimited local calls and broadband bundled for a fixed price have metered uploads

I guess they can't meter my uploads until my contract runs out, because there not being counted yet and I upload more than I download each month.

I'm glad I stopped my switch over to telstra in the cooling off period, the salesperson that came to my door lied about everything that was included in the monthly plan. I was told I would get 25gig/month before being limited when it is actually 10gig and also that it would be 1500/512 which I have through optus at the moment, but the price he gave me was for 256/64 and it was going to $10 more than what I'm paying now.The only time I found out was when the letter came out showing what I would get.

Last edited by farah9; 22-09-2007 at 10:42 PM.
farah9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 10:52 PM   #23
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we're having trouble with telstra, on a 8mbps plan, at one stage we were getting 6mbps but after a month we have been using 1.5 - 2mbps since, called them and asked what was up, they said we never had 6mbps and that its 'impossible to get that speed out here' we realsied its pointless, since apparently we arent even suppose to be able to get ADSL. 5kms out from the exchange?

typical Telstra though.

dodgy as. also we seem to be using ALOT of our quota up quickly. 50% and its only been one week? download the odd album, fair few youtube videos, forums etc. wouldnt think that would use 6GB in a week.

somethings fishy.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 11:15 PM   #24
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
apparently we arent even suppose to be able to get ADSL. 5kms out from the exchange?
If you're 5km's from the exchange, you are fairly lucky to be getting ADSL at all, Telstra weren't shitting you (that has to be a first for that dodgy POS company), and there is no possible way you ever had 6Mbps. Sorry, but that's the truth.

You will find any connection at that distance will be very unstable no matter who you're with.

This graph might help give an idea about various ADSL speeds:

http://www.internode.on.net/adsl2/graph/
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 11:31 PM   #25
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah okay thanks Deadman, speedtest.net must've been shitting me lol.

telstra has been out numerous time to try fix out line (very bad line fuzzy quiet etc) we were told that the cabling from the exchange out through the whole main road was out of date and needed replacing.

i can live with it though, no other ISP will offer us ADSL, we've rung Optus and the other and they've told us its not available, so we must be very lucky to be able to get it with telstra!!
Old 23-09-2007, 07:48 AM   #26
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
Mine is still working. Apparently. I'm on the 512 plan.
This was the last speed test I did:

Had the computer rebuilt and upgraded twice. A friend tried to log in and have a look around the other night, but it was too slow for him to even get in.
ouch im with telstra never had a problem.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 07:53 AM   #27
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hrm i have a problem..

anyone know how we can use 550MB in roughly 6 hours (midnight-6am) when nobody was awake?

we have wireless security and all that. a tad weird
Old 23-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #28
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
hrm i have a problem..

anyone know how we can use 550MB in roughly 6 hours (midnight-6am) when nobody was awake?

we have wireless security and all that. a tad weird
Virus or spyware? Do you have any P2P programs running? If so, make sure they are shut down properly. Some still run minimised in the task bar when you close them.
Old 23-09-2007, 10:13 AM   #29
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
telstra has been out numerous time to try fix out line (very bad line fuzzy quiet etc) we were told that the cabling from the exchange out through the whole main road was out of date and needed replacing.
That's a voice fault and Telstra have to fix it. Keep pestering them about it. Once the voice problem is fixed, then your DSL should improve.
Old 23-09-2007, 03:09 PM   #30
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Virus or spyware? Do you have any P2P programs running? If so, make sure they are shut down properly. Some still run minimised in the task bar when you close them.

nah all the computers were turned off, dont use P2P programs.

we called them about it, said something about it being from the day before.

so we decided to leave the net off till 2pm today to see if it went up. and surprise surprise it went from 500mbs down to 20 mbs

they may be trying to pull a swifty on us.

about the line fault, its improved a fair bit since the first time we called them out, we use engin VOIP now so its even better.