Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 29-07-2007, 02:53 AM   #1
kpcart
Banned

Default ED wheel spinning.

Hi i just noticed in the wet, the car spins the rear wheel too often.
Im wondering if my diff was changed by previous owner, but i doubt it because it gets to 80kmh in first (auto) just like factory spec.

But although wheel spin is fun, its a bit annoying, i cant do fast overtake in the wet, or if i do it has to be gentle acceleration, if i floor it at 60, goes to 3rd or 2nd, and then kicks violently into 2nd or 1st, and almost throws the car off the road by giving a hard quick wheel spin on rear wheels, i nearly had a heart attack first time i did that. at lights, every car can get away faster then me without wheel spinning! (still in wet im talking about). i have to take off like a granny.
Maybe the accelerator cable is too tight?

Also is it normal to be able to do stand still burnouts on a dry road. i dont seem to have to give much gas while holding brakes and it spins rear wheels. thats kinda fun, but is it typical? does it spin at the torque convertor stall point (forgive me, i dont have much knowledge of how torque convertor works)
i assume if i do that too many times, it might damage, gearbox, torque convertor, brakes or something else.

Running gas, this is still the case, but a bit less wheel spin now. do the newer fords and commodores get away from lights in the wet much smoother faster then me, and without any wheel spin because they have traction control.

Last edited by kpcart; 29-07-2007 at 03:00 AM.
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 07:27 AM   #2
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

I'd suggest that your car has an open center diff in it and spins one of the rear wheels quite easily. If you had an LSD diff in it it would have to spin both rear wheels if it was going to spin any and that requires a bit more effort and as such would create some more traction.
However if you, then do, spin both of the rear wheels the car can start to drift sideways. This can be dangerous if you're not ready for it.

The other thing to look at is better tyres maybe. Grip levels can vary quite a lot from tyre to tyre.
BI6TIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
andrewts
White Car Driver

My ED does spin very easily in the wet on a 3.08:1 open diff as well. Check your rear tyre pressure perhaps and if you want more grip deflate the trye a little. I would try for about 30 PSI on the rear, 32 PSI on the front, however see what suits you, or check the trye placard.

This is with 205/65R/15 wheels by the way, standard GLis (not Classics) had 195/75R/14 wheels I hink.
andrewts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Buy some decent tyres, lay off the throttle in the wet a bit and you'll be right.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
bentles
Banned

must be shocking tyres, mine single spinner and manual and mods and i had fine traction in the wet long as i wasnt driving like an r-tard
bentles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my el never had problems spinning with the single spinner. once i put the 3.45 lsd, it would catch me by surprise sometimes in the wet. throttle control and good tyres are very important
castek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 11:54 AM   #7
holmsy
Banned

my ed is exactly the same. i was beginning to think there was something goin on with the diff.
it is always the rear drivers side as well.
mine does it even in the dry. and the tyres are near new.
i found my self kick into second as i changed lane on a highway (very wet conditions) and before i knew it i was looking out the side window at a bmw coming straight for me. luckily i corrected it pretty quick.

i know what you meen about it being annoying and having to drive like a grandma just to stop the wheel spin.
holmsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #8
JUZXR8
Hmmmmm

Buy some decent tyres, and make sure they are at the correst PSI. You wont have a problem.
JUZXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 02:25 AM   #9
kpcart
Banned

I think the tyres are it... they are some weird cheap brand, 205 65s on 15 inch. the front ones are 60s on the same wheels, i think the previous owner put the cheapest second hand replacements on before to selling the car. ill get some new 215/60s for the rears in next few weeks.
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #10
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

My old ED Classic, was the worst for that, it is lowered?, when i had normal tyres on it, nothign special (stock standard ones) and not lowered it used to single wheel spin all the time, I think if you were to lower it and put bigger wheels on it(if you havn't already done so,) you miiiiight see a difference
- Ash
3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Hybrid34 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post