Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-05-2005, 01:41 PM   #1
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Shed/Garage space

Im in need of some garage space to strip and rebuild my coupe right.

Unfortunately my living arrangements dont allow this luxury (dammit).

I was thinking of doing the following things, and was interested in anyones thoughts (or offers)!!! How have other people achieved their rebuilds?

Basically it would be a 6 month to 12 month deal. Stripping engine/box/diff, glass, interior, etc - and storing parts there. A bit of tow truck action to things like panelbeaters and stuff. There wouldnt be any crazy work hours or major mechanical work going on (although stripping a car is pretty major huh). But thats the basic idea.

1. Letter box drop in my area (South Briz) just a small note about how I am a car enthusiast, and if any home owners have a backyard shed or garage they would be willing to rent to me for the above timeframe and work? If you were a home owner would you consider this?

2. Look at storage places and renting a space there? Although ive quoted this before and usually it is very expensive for the size you need to have to park a car and parts in there - as well as for such a long period. Adds to the cost of the rebuild pretty heavily too. Does anyone know of any storage places that do deals for car rebuilds for like 6-12 month long term rentals? (I reckon that is a decent business proposal/idea too!)

3. My car is garaged at my inlaws, under like a 'lean-to' type set up that is at the back of an existing carport. So its got a roof - but no sides, and is parked on grass. Pending building requirements of course - but should I concrete this area - and maybe slap up some removable type ply sheeting around this carport (pull it down when im working, put it up again for weatherproofing) and just do it there? Would cost me the building materials - and plenty of brownie points to the inlaws too.

4. Ummmmm........any other ideas?

The Coupsta
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 01:50 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Given 'hoon' is the latest buzz word, I would not do a letter drop for that reason.

I think option 3 sounds like a winner, just be aware of council regs a slab is building so you may require council approval to do it (most the time if your neighbours are good no one cares, but if they object and tell council you may have to dig it up).

Other ideas, sometimes big car work shops allow you to rent space of them like the corner of the workshop, could possibly be the go.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 02:30 PM   #3
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Mate, I have a big shed you can store/strip/whatever it in, but it's an hour and a half from town. Prolly no use to you.

Other than that, option 3 works for me.

And if you decide to store it with someone (i.e. not a business), it might be an idea to draw up some sort of a contract, so you don't have people saying "well, I'm sick of having you work on the car all weekend, so I'm going to lock the gates friday-monday" etc...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 04:19 PM   #4
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the replies.

Green Machine - man awesome offer of a shed. Very generous. Your right though - location is an issue. And great point on drawing up a contract of sorts if that is how it all happens.

Im thinking option 3 is shaping as the best. Damn I owe my inlaws heaps! Ahh well - at least when I go round to work on the car I can take the kids and that keeps them very happy!

Cheers again.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 04:23 PM   #5
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'd be better to lease a factory with a few people. This is the best option. Otherwise do what I do. Find a workshop let them do the work. Leaves the car on a long holiday. The downfall is the parking gets expensive sometimes.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post