Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 05-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
robtek

Smile Normal Vs Heavy Duty Leads

Hi guys,

Would you spend the extra $15-$20 for extra heavy duty leads compared with normal leads?

Any major driving difference as the heavy duty leads apparently are thicker and generate more spark?

Cheers,
Big Rob

www.talkalotofshit.com => YES ITS A REAL SITE HAHA
robtek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I recently got a set of custom ICE 9mm ignition leads made up for my car. They were $140, but the workmanship was sensational, and they basically guarantee them for around 300000kms which is the main reason I bought them.

As for whether they'll actually make a difference performance wise, I doubt it....unless you've got a rather angry NA setup or a turbo with some decent boost happening.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

put it on a dyno and u will most likely see a minor difference but u wont feel it. alot of people dont think there is anything to be had from bigger leads. i dont belive leads on thier own will do much however put in some high quality plugs at the same time and it again will make a difference on the dyno but u wont feel it.

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required
Sony headunit, splits, 6.5"s and 2 x 12" with response precision amp = 135.5 dB

Daily = Ae82 '85 corolla Fwd :togo: , 5 speed, 12" sub, 6x9's, green LED's

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
BRADMAN
BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo

i guess i would be asking this question......

a lead is just a conductor....
that conductor passes a certain current/voltage between 2 items
the dizzy and the plug.
therefore as long as the lead is capable of carrying the current/voltage output of the coil in use.
how could there be any difference in leads?

i think of it like a pipe....as long as the pipe is equal to or greater than the item you wish to shove down it. it should work no matter what.

the only difference would be quality of connectors/conducting material
anyone disagree?

brad

Blue Power Airbox, Sunroof, Typhoon Wheels, Brembos, Prem Sound, Momo Chunky Wheel, Genuine FPV Gauge Holder, Whiteline Swaybars, Lowered, Tinted Windows, 60lb Injectors, Plazmaman Cooler, Hot Side & Under Battery Pipes, 4" Dump & Cat, Process West Surge Tank & Bosch 044, Turbo Inline Oil Filter
BRADMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJSPENCER85
i guess i would be asking this question......

a lead is just a conductor....
that conductor passes a certain current/voltage between 2 items
the dizzy and the plug.
therefore as long as the lead is capable of carrying the current/voltage output of the coil in use.
how could there be any difference in leads?

i think of it like a pipe....as long as the pipe is equal to or greater than the item you wish to shove down it. it should work no matter what.

the only difference would be quality of connectors/conducting material
anyone disagree?

brad

Different leads have varying levels of resistance - ie current/voltage out is less than in.

In the real world in stock examples, I highly doubt there would be any tangible difference behind the wheel or on the dyno. That is, unless your leads were stuffed to begin with.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:43 PM   #6
~EFhastE3~
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Different leads have varying levels of resistance - ie current/voltage out is less than in.

In the real world in stock examples, I highly doubt there would be any tangible difference behind the wheel or on the dyno. That is, unless your leads were stuffed to begin with.
well providing the leads all have the same wire material inside them then that means that there will be no difference in resistance.. leads do not have resistors in them either so in the end it comes down to what BJSPENCER85 said: providing they are made to hold that amount of voltage or more- there will be no difference what so ever..
quite an interesting topic for nerds like us! LOL
~EFhastE3~ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 11:59 PM   #7
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~EFhastE3~
well providing the leads all have the same wire material inside them then that means that there will be no difference in resistance.. leads do not have resistors in them either so in the end it comes down to what BJSPENCER85 said: providing they are made to hold that amount of voltage or more- there will be no difference what so ever..
quite an interesting topic for nerds like us! LOL
They do actually have some form of resistance. You can check your own with a multimeter. Many manufacturers also quote resistance figures.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:25 AM   #8
xr8 5.0
ED xr8 5.0l

I would go for ,the heavy duty/lpg top gun leads, as these are spiral core leads, most std lead sets ,top gun included, are only carbon supression leads,carbon leads have much more resistance per foot of lead then spiral core leads but not only that carbon leads start to deteriorate from the time they are installed, spiral core leads have a metal core inductor and so long as you don't break the leads or burn em on your exhaust will last 10x longer. The good thing is the heavy duty top gun leads are not much more then the std set, money well spent.
10.98 @ 122.2mph 100hp nos
377 RWHP @ 5900rpm N/A

No longer bottle fed, now with boost
9.67 @ 144 mph on 22psi
xr8 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 12:37 AM   #9
robtek

damn it, i bought the cheap $45 leads, "top gun" hehehe..first time ever changing leads..mate mine are so old, that the car is stalling...LoL....but i might return them for the heavy duty ones if it will see a difference during driving...for sure, autobarn quoted me extra $14 for heavy duty!

hmmm...decisions...:P

cheers,
Big Rob

www.talkalotofshit.com => YES ITS A REAL SITE HAHA
robtek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 11:20 AM   #10
BRADMAN
BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo

i used the heavy duty lpg TOP GUN leads on my ea last change i did.
i was so happy with them i bought them for my AU engine conversion.
they were recommed to me by the guys at East Coast Spares in ringwood.
so glad i went there for my leads...good guys down there...and prices were great
brad

Blue Power Airbox, Sunroof, Typhoon Wheels, Brembos, Prem Sound, Momo Chunky Wheel, Genuine FPV Gauge Holder, Whiteline Swaybars, Lowered, Tinted Windows, 60lb Injectors, Plazmaman Cooler, Hot Side & Under Battery Pipes, 4" Dump & Cat, Process West Surge Tank & Bosch 044, Turbo Inline Oil Filter
BRADMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post