Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-11-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Default GM hit 18 Year Low, to follow subsidiary Delphi bankrupt?

From NEWS.com.au:

SHARES of struggling General Motors closed at their lowest level in nearly two decades overnight as investors reacted to a strike threat at its largest auto parts supplier.

After having dropped more than 30 percent in the past month, shares of the world's largest automaker closed down 5.8 per cent at $US21.29, up from a low of $US20.90 in afternoon trading.
It was the weakest close since the crash of October 1987, said Art Hogan, an analyst at Jefferies, who said some investors are concerned that GM could follow its subsidiary, Delphi, into bankruptcy.

They have the same issues in term of legacy costs," he said

"If they had to follow the same path and file for bankruptcy as well, that would be a major issue."

A spokeswoman for GM downplayed those fears, and said the company had recently obtained major concessions from the union on health care costs.

The comments from the United Auto Workers "are related to Delphi," said spokeswoman Toni Simonetti.

The UAW said Wednesday that the "unprecedented" salary cuts proposed by Delphi could not be accepted by union members and warned that a strike was possible at GM's largest supplier.

"We have been subject to an unprecedented attack on our wages," the UAW said on its website. "Delphi's solution is to force its workers to near poverty-level wages while rewarding executives with $US90 million in bonuses."

A strike at Delphi could interrupt production at GM, a costly interruption at a time where GM can ill afford it.

GM has been struggling with a loss of profit and market share as consumers shy away from its gas-guzzling sport-utility vehicles. It lost $US3.8 billion in the first three quarter of 2005 and has seen sales drop by more than 20 per cent in September and October.

------------------------------------------------

Just highlighted some areas from a current article on www.news.com.au. I can't help but feel concerned if I was a GM shareholder, or enthusiast. I know alot of car manufacturers must be hurting somewhat in the current fuel climate, but losing 3.8 billion US in one quarter of a year is incredible.

I know media is often sensationalism at its finest, but doesn't look too healthy for Generic Motoring at the moment. Would Holden buy itself out of GM ownership if they went bankrupt (not saying it will happen but theorising)? Indeed, is Holden part of the big GM badge or is GM Daewoo a subsidiary? Not sure on how Holden fits into the big picture with this!

Considering GMs military contracts also (like Humvees and other ground support equipment), they must be doing something wrong!

From CNN News: GM sold 257,623 vehicles last month (Oct 2005), compared with 346,058 in the same period last year. GM's light truck sales, which include SUVs, pick-up trucks and minivans, sank 30 percent in October.

From VFacts Oct 2005, Holden sold a mere 13,923 vehicles. Ford Australia sold only 9,192 vehicles. So how does a company that sells 28 times as many vehicles each month (on a bad month, a year before that figure was 37 times as many) as Ford Aus still lose 3.8 billion US in three months. Does anyone else find that remarkable?

And consider this, from the Sydney Morning Herald:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Morning Herald
The Federal Government will spend more on protecting overseas missions against terrorist attack and upgrading Australia's intelligence capabilities under a $1.1 billion national security program.

The Australian Security Intelligence Organisation will be provided with $48.1 million for enhanced capability "to meet the demands of counter-terrorism investigations", $5.2 million to enhance intelligence on proliferation, and $3.1 million to build language skills, all over four years. The extra funding for language skills follows a recommendation of the Flood inquiry into Australian intelligence agencies.

Defence will also get $14.8 million over four years for counter-proliferation intelligence, while Australia's overseas intelligence agency, the Australian Secret Intelligence Service, will be given $19.4 million.
Compares those figures to GMs losses, it seems the automotive world for one company in the US is worth far more than national security in Aus in dollar terms, which is small change! Goes to show how much money there is in the US.

Well, that's just my food for thought for this week. Not trying to stir a Ford vs Holden debate (oh no! I mentioned both words in one sentence!), just some food for thought. I know there are lots of issues to consider on all things I have posted about, but I just find some figures amazing when compared side by side that you never hear about much.

Tim

Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
big_waity
Windsor Man!

As blue blooded as I am, would surely be a shame to see GM go under! I coulnd't imagine what life would be like. All those commodore drivers may end up in fords!?!?!
Old 17-11-2005, 04:07 PM   #3
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

me? drive a ford? uh oh!
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 04:41 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Nah they will be driving Kias - thats about as close as a holden now (Daewoo)

Mwahahaha.

I cant see the General falling over, but then again you never know.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 04:45 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

pfft...delphi deserve it out: :evil3:
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 04:50 PM   #6
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

if GM went under then possibly Ford could be in trouble too. Ok so there is one less on the market to compete with, but like it or not, ford and holden do share parts etc...ford would have to take up the reins by themselves.
As blue blooded as some are, you woudnt want GM to go under, and vice verca....its the great aussie rivalry with the the holden spin off of GM.
Old 17-11-2005, 05:11 PM   #7
Steffo
LPG > You

The autmotive world of the future is going to look very different to today's... and I don't see any independant American manufacturers as existing. They're going to go the way of the British Auto Industry, it will just take a bit longer because they're so big. Ford is by no means out of any trouble either.

Toyota is going to be one of the few independants IMO....
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 06:06 PM   #8
RATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
As blue blooded as some are, you woudnt want GM to go under, and vice verca....its the great aussie rivalry with the the holden spin off of GM.
Agreed 100% on that one. I'm sure they'll pull through.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 06:27 PM   #9
XLS99 Ute man
Who Loves Mountain Women

its acaully quite scarey when you think about it...

XLS Falcon Ute
Full Sick 2.5 Inch -> To Double 3 Inch Tips Exhaust Sports System
18 Inch Bling Bling Rims
Altezza Tail Bling Bling Lights
Kenwood Head Deck + Amps + Bling Bling Sub
Bright Orange BLING BLING Fordforums.com Sticker

OOoooohh Yeah! Bling Bling
XLS99 Ute man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 07:15 PM   #10
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

I hope GM/GMH dont go down the drain,can you imagine having an argument with a Daewoo,Nissan,Volvo, etc etc driver regarding performance potentials, rivalry etc..scary..
Old 17-11-2005, 07:35 PM   #11
347Stroker
Banned

Quote:
if GM went under then possibly Ford could be in trouble too. Ok so there is one less on the market to compete with, but like it or not, ford and holden do share parts etc...ford would have to take up the reins by themselves.

Ford and holden share parts...hang on...

I have never seen a Falcon with an M21, or a 10 bolt Chev for that matter, but have seen plenty of Holdens with 9" diffs, Top Loader gearboxes etc..

Hell, even in the V8 Supercars, the Commodores have Ford diffs and suspension geometry, so I guess the parts sharing is one sided.

As for on a greater scale, Borg Warner supply both Ford and Holden, but Ford have been using WarnerFord/borg Warner since the beginning of time, so I cant see it affecting Ford all that much.

I cant see GMH going under though, as they are one of the only profitable businesses in the stable, and would be sold off to regain some cash stocks.
347Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 11:09 PM   #12
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347stroker
As for on a greater scale, Borg Warner supply both Ford and Holden, but Ford have been using WarnerFord/borg Warner since the beginning of time, so I cant see it affecting Ford all that much.
The issue at hand is that suppliers can obviously produce a particular part for less if they supply more of it - essentually they can absorb their development and cost overheads over a greater number of units, so for instance, 100 units may cost $100 to produce, but 50 units may cost $75 to produce.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 12:30 AM   #13
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347stroker
Ford and holden share parts...hang on...

It's the smaller things that are shared... I remember being a back seat passenger in a work Falcon (might have been about ten yrs ago). Whatever the car was, I pulled off the cover from the interior light, and on the inside there was a Holden part number moulded on the inner surface.

Who knows what other small parts are shared! (Wreckers, I guess!)
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 02:32 PM   #14
spoonage
Long Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny
It's the smaller things that are shared... I remember being a back seat passenger in a work Falcon (might have been about ten yrs ago). Whatever the car was, I pulled off the cover from the interior light, and on the inside there was a Holden part number moulded on the inner surface.

Yeah I noticed that in my old .. *gasp* Holden (sorry) Berlina. It had the light with the 2 map lights and I thought it looked extremely similar to one in the Fairmont. So took it off and low and behold, 2 part numbers, 1 Ford and 1 Holden. Both with their company logos on it.
Old 22-11-2005, 03:58 PM   #15
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh

The comments from the United Auto Workers "are related to Delphi," said spokeswoman Toni Simonetti.

The UAW said Wednesday that the "unprecedented" salary cuts proposed by Delphi could not be accepted by union members and warned that a strike was possible at GM's largest supplier.
How typical of unions... its better to have the company go broke and everyone ends up unemployed and also risk the bankruptsy of their customer and its employee's than make concessions to keep people employed albiet at reduced salary's for a short period...

Old 22-11-2005, 04:01 PM   #16
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

GM have closed 9 production assemblies in US just recently....apparently Renualt has some interest in buying GM....*gasp* at the rumours!
Old 22-11-2005, 04:03 PM   #17
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny

Holden and Ford share the same basic BW diff assembly, and Holden want the same 6sd auto too..

Old 22-11-2005, 04:07 PM   #18
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Not sure if anyone was watching the US markets last night but there was some incredible news and presentations from GM.

30,000 people to be let go over the coming 24 months. Thirty thousand. Absolutely incredible number of people to be let go. All in agreement with the UAW and their Canadian counterpart (eh). Although apparantley a lot to come from early retirements and 'natural attrition'. Setting up some sort of 'jobs bank' where people are put off work, paid (without benefits obviously) so GM has the option to bring them back when (if?) things turn around.

Production costs expected to fall about $7 billion p.a. from $42 billion average... contingent healthcare liability has been cut by around $15 billion. To put this in perspective i think GMH Australia's net profits are around $200 million pa. The amount GM USA spends on healthcare would dwarf GMH Australia's entire turnover. That's scary amounts of money.

Share price still got hammered about $1. US markets are very cruel.

EDIT: But look at the numbers, filing for chap 11 protection is very unlikely
Old 22-11-2005, 04:08 PM   #19
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Renualt has some interest in buying GM....*gasp* at the rumours!
I would have thought Renault had their hands full already with Nissan - which is having some revival, but nothing like the sales the company experienced in the early 1990s.

I would expect to see a move more from the cashed up Toyota or DaimlerChrysler.
Old 22-11-2005, 04:22 PM   #20
Electric
F6 and AU Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
I would have thought Renault had their hands full already with Nissan - which is having some revival, but nothing like the sales the company experienced in the early 1990s.

I would expect to see a move more from the cashed up Toyota or DaimlerChrysler.
I think you will find the value of the combined DaimlerChrysler is less than what EACH of them was worth before the merger..... so hardly cashed up.
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 05:15 PM   #21
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

toyota wouldnt be so bad buying GM in the scheme of things - as long as they still carry the Holden Badge here in oz and keep Holden in Australia.
Old 22-11-2005, 05:18 PM   #22
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I bloody well hope not, the Avalon will be renamed the Lexcen and Commodores will all be Avalons.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 05:31 PM   #23
4.9 EF Futura

Its speculation on my behalf but toyota doesnt seem to be the kind of company that takes on a struggling car manufactuer and all of the industrial relation issues assosciated with northern american companies (seeing as they already have a significant exposure in the USA).

They are one of the companies that have not diversified across brands, buying other manufactureres etc etc (*cough* GM *cough*). Its proven to be a sound strategy. IIRC Honda operates in a similar way.

Would you want to get rid of all that lovely cash and swap it for a failing manufacturer? I hope not....
Old 22-11-2005, 05:34 PM   #24
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
I bloody well hope not, the Avalon will be renamed the Lexcen and Commodores will all be Avalons.
Well thats what i meant by keeping the holden brand name as australian and still making 'aussie commodores'...but yeah your right, there is the problem of the all important engine!
Old 22-11-2005, 05:37 PM   #25
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
toyota wouldnt be so bad buying GM in the scheme of things - as long as they still carry the Holden Badge here in oz and keep Holden in Australia.
Sorry but did you just mention the H word?

Seriously though I sincerely hope GM stays a float there will be massive amounts of job losses otherwise, plus without anyone to push Ford/FPV the standard of our cars will fall IMO.
Interesting note is that I have been told by someone the Holden Aust is actually making money, dont know if it can stand alone???

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 05:47 PM   #26
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric
I think you will find the value of the combined DaimlerChrysler is less than what EACH of them was worth before the merger..... so hardly cashed up.

Well they just had a big friday last week getting rid of Mitsubishi, plus its number 33 out of the Forbes top 2000 companies list - the only motor manufacturer to beat it is Toyota.

http://www.forbes.com./afxnewslimite...fx2348731.html

DaimlerChrysler led large-caps higher, gaining 0.83 eur or 1.92 pct to 44.08. The car manufacturer announced on Friday it will post a one-off gain of 501 mln eur from the sale of its remaining 12.4 pct stake in Mitsubishi Motor Corp.
Old 22-11-2005, 05:55 PM   #27
EF, What else?
A Bloke

"Interesting note is that I have been told by someone the Holden Aust is actually making money, dont know if it can stand alone???"

I don't think Holden could stand alone, they rely on GM components to much, and with there GM supplies drying up if they were to go bankrupt, where would they turn? Ford :jab:
EF, What else? is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 06:01 PM   #28
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF, What else?
"Interesting note is that I have been told by someone the Holden Aust is actually making money, dont know if it can stand alone???"

I don't think Holden could stand alone, they rely on GM components to much, and with there GM supplies drying up if they were to go bankrupt, where would they turn? Ford :jab:
Very good point. GMH itself is reasonably profitable and a strong company - but would have to wonder what happens if can no longer source parts at mates rates from parent company...
Old 22-11-2005, 06:10 PM   #29
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

yes i doubt H standing alone....and i did say holden before so slap on the wrist for me!
Old 22-11-2005, 06:14 PM   #30
Stingray
Sponsor

I couldnt imagine Bathurst without a holden..

For car handfree kits ..
Reverse sensors
Reverse camera
Central locking.
Spot lights.
Alarm upgrades for cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_ed_wagon
The mob at stingray really care about their customers and dont just take the money, send the item and its all over, they keep in contact all the way through the sale and try to help out...

www.stingraycar.com.au
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post