Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #31
fanboi
Banned

Default Re: No Dyno Sheet after dyno tune?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Although, usually unless you specifically ask for it, they usually don't bother handing them out...or even printing them out for that matter. 90% of people getting a "dyno tune" won't want, or understand, the chart anyway so why bother? They just want their car "dyno tuned", and that's that.

However, if you're dealing with a place that is heavily into engine modifications, and most of the clientele are performance oriented people, then they'll whip the chart out and show it to you straight away.

Different shops, different ways of doing things depending on the clients they usually get.
I have never had a car tuned and not recieved a print out
fanboi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #32
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
You just got it dyno tuned and it's running like that...?

I thought the idea of dyno tuning was to be able to run the car and set everything up to run the most efficiently while being able to have it sit there were you can adjust things "on the run" as it were? I thought they would have caught all that bad running behaviour...
That's what I thought, it's like missing an elephant under a microscope haha or a better analogy. The dyno shows AFR's, vacuum pressure and a million other things to gauge off. Frankly I don't see how my car can come back in this state unless it's been tuned by ear.

I paid $220 and requested the sheets beforehand, I originally called for a $120 lambda tune (omvl r90e so dyno unnecessary) and was convinced to go with the dyno as I was told it would be far more comprehensive and will give the perfect result.. and even then still couldn't really justify the extra $100 but went ahead anyway out of curiosity to see what power the car is currently putting out before I fit my 977B cam. Reason aside I was told the car would be tuned pedantically, and cutting corners wasn't even in the equation. I didn't think it was even a possibility to get the car back in such a crude state as the dyno would've had to of indefinitely shown this, hence all the confusion.

I called the shop today and he was very surprised to hear how it was running (something must've happened somehow) and told me to bring it back to take a look I'll know more tomorrow if I have time to take it in.. The dyno results were meant to be emailed to me today but that didn't happen hopefully I'll get to see them tomorrow, for tonight I still remain in confusion. I'm hoping the sheets can shed some light as to how it's even possible for this to happen. Would they show if any corners were cut?

The shop speaks for itself you walk in and you can see the professionalism, the staff are excellent and very happy to help, my outcome seems baffling if anything I'm more frustrated about having to drive my half rebuilt motor back there while leaning out because of this, in the shops defense I brought it in on a day they were fully booked and busy so that must've had an impact but that still frustrates me as I stressed I wanted the picture perfect tune (I even went as far as writing some helpful notes and showed how much pride i have in the car to obtain this perfect tune and handed them too him when I dropped the car off). There's no excuse for it to come back like this, if it's something faulty/broken it should've shown up, if it's something out of tune it should've shown up. I'm confident once they see how bad it is they'll attend to it immediately. It'll then hopefully be very clear on both ends this is not what I paid for. Even the best make mistakes, the real mistake is failing to correct the mistake!

Last edited by ILLaViTaR; 31-07-2013 at 12:48 AM.
ILLaViTaR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #33
fanboi
Banned

$220 is nothing for a proper tune, lots of places would charge near that just for a power run
fanboi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #34
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboi View Post
$220 is nothing for a proper tune, lots of places would charge near that just for a power run
Interesting, i'm not actually sure if mine included a power run or not it was just described to me as "an lpg tune on the dyno" basically providing the 110% perfect tune and the kw reading was just meant to be an added bonus!
Old 31-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #35
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I took it down today and he reckons it''s the diaphragm in the converter, he tuned the idle sensitivity screw on the converter by ear with me in the carpark in a matter of seconds and it's now idling like glass! but it actually hesitates a bit worse which wasn't too fun in peak hour on the way home. I'm bringing back in 3-4 tanks so I just need to hold out until the diaphragm settles in I believe. I've had new lpg systems before and never had the diaphragms do anything near this severe though but it seems to be the issue.

He also said the AFR's and everything were all perfect on the dyno, but he said he's tuned it a bit rich on purpose to prevent it leaning out until I come back for the recheck in 3-4 tanks so that's a relief. But implied it's not going back on the dyno when I bring it back for the recheck so I'm a bit confused on the process. If it's a new installation or new converter like in my case I would've thought the process would be a rough tune first and when it's ready in 3-4 tanks and then put it on the dyno? Finalizing the tune, or is it meant go back on the dyno a second time? The AFR's are definitely out so it would have to I would've thought?

Maybe it does go back on the dyno but only for 5 minutes or something, like I said I'm confused to how the process works but have to assume this isn't right otherwise every man and his dog in the country would be calling up furious that their brand new gas systems are spluttering all over the road causing nationwide chaos! I don't think I should have to limp it over the next 3-4 to be honest but I'm more concerned about ultimately getting a good tune. The 2 screws (or maybe just sensitivity) he adjusted on the converter seemed to be the cause of everything I might just have to fiddle with those until then.

Problem is I am never comfortable leaving long time periods between warranty claims and the like, I feel it's a bad idea to wait 3-4 tanks/weeks, I feel it shouldn't run as bad as it runs now, I'm hoping in 3-4 weeks it'll be all good and rectified but waiting is a risk, I still haven't received the dyno sheets but they'll hopefully show up tomorrow. Just awkward and frustrating, the bloke down the road would've done me the lamda tune for $50 lol.
Old 31-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #36
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

and this is why I don't like mixer ring style systems, but do not adjust the screws, one is a sensitivity adjustment and adjusting that may create worse issues

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #37
BennyH

Some shops and clientele may not see it this way, but I think a dyno sheet supplied by the tuner provides some proof that gains were actually achieved as a result of tuning and money spent, particularly in shops where trust and reputation may not be as strong as more pronounced shops.

I suppose shops also have a different approach to the way they treat their customers after the tune has been completed, they boys at bluepower showed me exactly what had been improved and because I am an inquisitive bugger showed me a rough guide of how it's all done on the computer.

2010 XR6 Ute Nitro Blue Bluepower XCAL3 tune,
Di Filippo headers + high flow cat, X Force stainless cat back,20% Powerbond underdrive,
Growler CAI, Herrod lowered suspension package,
19'' Dark Argents w/ 36mm rear spacers, DBA T2 slotted rotors, Pursuit Side Skirts, EGR Under Spoiler
BennyH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #38
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmmm I asked for them to be emailed again because they didn't come through last night after asking a second time, and guess what they didn't come through again. I do believe it went on the dyno despite every form of logic counteracting that it did.

Would dyno sheets 100% prove my car went go on the dyno? and was tuned correctly?

I'm paranoid my car details could get edited into someone elses tune or something crafty. It's a bit absurd really I'm being way to politically correct here. I'm not happy. My car is in limp mode after a dyno tune and is about to stutter into someones rear end, that's a bit more than a diaphragm. An ear tune explains why my idle now SOUNDS like glass whereas the hesitation is worse... crude as ****. I could've done the same thing and wow'd myself on how it sounded until I drove the thing.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #39
zilo
BANNED

Cut your losses and take your car to an LPG installer to sort out the issues.

Move on....
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #40
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

a dyno will only give a read out if it's done a power run, you do necessarily have to do a power run to adjust the gas, no idea what your guy has done, but he should be honest about the sheet though, he either has a copy or it doesn't exist, but he should tell you the truth

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: