Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #31
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

A job i got offered but..smartly didn't accept...it was to spend 10-12 hours a day in a full chemical suit spraying boiling caustic on rocks in the middle of nowhere. no thanks

worst job i've actually done was my apprenticeship, i loved the work but my boss nearly destroyed my self esteem, i was his scapegoat for whatever went wrong and because i was a young apprentice and green as hell i just took it all, i never stood up for myself.
He actually sacked my 6 months before i was supposed to complete my apprenticeship, tried to do him for unfair dismissal but because he wrote every little mistake i did down(plus a lot of bullshit) and i had nothing except my word i was looked upon like some loser kid who didn't give a rats **** about anything.
Actually found out the apprentice before me had the same thing done to him aswell - nice bloke!
He's now going out of business..and i'm second in charge at a $50 million construction project.
Maybe there is something to this karma business heh

OK rant finished!
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #32
fergus

**** bucket emptier at an adult movie shop.. Naaahhh Just kidding.
Did 21 years in the Public Service. Good money, but totally soul destroying.
Love my job now. Outdoors, drive around all day in the BA XR8 ute. I earn reasonably good money, but more importantly, I stay SANE!!!
fergus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 11:53 PM   #33
xertia

When I was 16, I got a job working for the owner of a $2 shop cutting out floor mats from larger pieces of carpet with a stanley knife. I lasted a day then went MIA on the *****. ;-) Now I work arvo's in a factory and earn more than most of the office workers on day shift. :P
xertia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 11:57 PM   #34
REHAB
Banned

Pizza delivery driver

Just absolutely sucked ars
REHAB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 12:11 AM   #35
Sam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Peeled cocktail onions for a whole day, $6.50.

Garbo, Dog Catcher, Grave Digger also come to mind as some of my previous jobs
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 12:12 AM   #36
REHAB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Peeled cocktail onions for a whole day, $6.50.

Garbo, Dog Catcher, Grave Digger also come to mind as some of my lprevious

Whoa they all suck

Someone doesnt like you lol
REHAB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 12:23 AM   #37
dan.76
always reading posts

electrical maintenance in an abbotoir (sp?). man there is some bad stuff hidden in the nooks and crannies where all my cables seemed to go.
ill starve before i ever work in one again

Last edited by dan.76; 10-03-2007 at 12:25 AM. Reason: spelling
dan.76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 02:33 AM   #38
mrgo40rd

i just did a stint at a large freight company (i had just left my mechanics job) i had to scan frieght and load it into a tin that gets placed on the planes.It was only paying 15bucks a hour and you didnt stop the hole shift i came close to knocking out the team leader a few times he was a real ****er (no people skills) im surprised i lasted two weeks the best part was i didnt go in for a shift (early sunday morning) and got a phone call advising not to attend work monday then a msg not to turn up tue then they turned around and said come in by this time i had enought i apparently got sacked for abandoning my duties work that out

Member of 'Falcon Tickford FPV Club of NSW'
www.ftf.org.au
Nolathane, Whiteline and Whiteline PLUS enhanced
car care products 1300 006 007 (keep it looking clean)
mrgo40rd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 08:42 AM   #39
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

probably the worst i've had was working as a TA for a diesel fitter working in the field, $12.83 an hour doing anything from laying on my back in 2-3" of mud, grease, diesel, hydraulic/engine oil and god alone knows what else, regularly working 6-7 days in a row and only 1 day off, boss was an aggro ***** to boot

upshot of it all was that most people had bets on me lasting less than 3 months before quitting (that was the average time his TA's lasted), i lasted 9 months, and apart from his brother in law, nobody else has lasted more than 6 months now lol
Old 10-03-2007, 09:38 AM   #40
xbcool
dazed&confused

when I was about 18 I worked at steggles the smell was foul (excuse the pun). not sure what I was supposed to be doing but the 40 year old ladies seemed to think I was there for them to wipe thier hands on (mainly my butt or mangina) ,only lasted half a day, now 20 years later, ironicly Im looking for a job where 40 years old females get to wipe their hands on me.

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #41
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbcool
when I was about 18 I worked at steggles the smell was foul (excuse the pun). not sure what I was supposed to be doing but the 40 year old ladies seemed to think I was there for them to wipe thier hands on (mainly my butt or mangina) ,only lasted half a day, now 20 years later, ironicly Im looking for a job where 40 years old females get to wipe their hands on me.
You had your chance and ya blew it!!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 10:19 AM   #42
5L
[ 5L ]

meat room cleaner, at woolworths. did it when i was 15 saved up for my first car. then left.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 10:52 AM   #43
ef_classic
Banned

Worst job would have to be a meat worker in a bacon factory.

Stand up all day carving thru pig meat, getting sprayed in the face by stuff called "pickle", that is injected into the "product".
Pig of a boss to get stuck into me if i was a minute late...

My Dad worked there for Ten years...i lasted 2 weeks......

They dont make them like they used to!!!
ef_classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 11:54 AM   #44
DODDO
Can man

For my apprenticeship, i had to get experience re-building automatic transmissions on trucks. I got sent to this workshop for 2 weeks, pulling out boxes from broken down garbage trucks (hence, still had rotting garbage, maggots etc in them) in the middle of summer, in the open as the workshop was full.
I dont know how the blokes that work there full time do it.
Worst 2 weeks ever.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #45
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

When I was a 10 yr old, I had a job selling pencils (punters used them to mark their formguides) outside the Hill entrance to Flemington racecourse. This was THE prime spot to sell + I was always well tipped!
Anyways, this particular Sat. this "blind" guy, with a similar pencil tray, comes along tap tap tapping his cane, and says to me "Sonny you have MY spot"
Feeling for him, I moved and went further down to a less busy gate, where I hardly sold a thing.
The "blind" guy sold his entire tray full in about 1/2 an hour.
He then proceeded to fold his telescopic cane, take off his dark glasses, pull out his formguide, and waltz in to the course to punt his takings!
I was shattered.. and That was THE end of my pencil selling career
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 12:26 PM   #46
Tiga_EL
Banned

Worked in a Indian Restaurant washing dishes, like for 5-6 hours straight.. worst job everrrr
Tiga_EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 12:29 PM   #47
Sundeep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiga_EL
Worked in a Indian Restaurant washing dishes, like for 5-6 hours straight.. worst job everrrr
Yeah man I did the same thing, only I did it for close to 4 years. Without pay, and make it like 8 hours.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #48
Sundeep
Banned

Other worst job I (and I still do it now and then) is security. I got my license for free through Chubb during a massive recruitment drive for the Comm. Games in Melbourne. I had to 12 hours shifts at the Qantas Freight base at the airport (6 to 6) doing, um, absolutely nothing. Can't complain though, the pay was mad.

I've also done survey's for Adecco at the GP. It entailed sitting in a city tram stop for 5 hours in the freakin cold counting people getting on and off trams. Paid good but damn it was boring as. I got offered the same thing for this year's GP... I'm over it.

By far worst job though is working at our family restaurant for 3 and a bit years. Had no choice really, had to help the old lady out. No pay, long hours and pretty much go straight went straight from TAFE to there every day for 2 years and could barely go out or do anything.

And I'm 21 :o(

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 12:40 PM   #49
AussieJason

Was a kitchenhand at Hunrgy Jack's for a few years, used to work until close then cleanup on Friday and Saturday nights. Would ride my bike home at 1:30am at 14 years of age through some pretty bad suburbs.

Also a Paperboy before that, not so bad unless it rained.

Previous Falcons:
2003 BA Falcon XL Ute White
1994 EF Falcon GLi Aqua

bseries.com.au Member

And drive a Holden company car...
AussieJason is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #50
Tiga_EL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dose
Yeah man I did the same thing, only I did it for close to 4 years. Without pay, and make it like 8 hours.

Sundeep
But you didnt wash dishes..
Tiga_EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #51
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I worked at Westply at Lathlain in an assembly line making plywood on school holidays in 1968. As I recall I had to put one large heavy layer of wood down on another piece that was used to move these new sheets along the line, grab the sticky thin veneer that came out of the gluing machine rollers in front of me, put another large heavy piece of wood on top of it and pass it on to the next part of the line. The glue made my eyes and nose run, it all moved at a hectic pace driven by the speed of the guy feeding veneer into the gluing machine, you had to focus on getting that floppy piece of freshly glued thin veneer onto the lower piece of wood precisely right and if you didn't get it right the whole assembly line stopped.

It was repetitively mind numbing as you couldn't think about anything else but catching and placing that stupid bit of freshly glued thin veneer. It was also heavy work for a 15 year old. I only lasted one day as all the following night I kept dreaming about grabbing that thin veneer and I feared for my sanity if i kept at it.

The one big positive was that I had only recently moved from the bush to Perth and working at Westply (albeit only for one day) allowed me win acceptance and develop some longstanding friendships with many of the other young guys working there of whom many were probably considered to be from the rougher side of town and who I would otherwise probably had little chance to meet and get to know. It think may also have helped motivate me to complete my leaving and matriculation and two university degrees at night school - I thought 15 years on night school was probably paradise in comparison to a long term career in a place like that.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:33 PM   #52
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Milling Drill core

Basically clocked on walked into a noisy, dusty big shed operated between 4-6 machines at a time and tuned drill core into talcum powder, Went throe 2 set’s of gloves a shift, 3 dust masks. Whatever colour the rock/dust was that is the colour you when home.

Had to pull 170-200 cores a shift to keep the boss of ya back.

During the day in summer it was hot as hell on night shift during winter you would stand in the big gas fired drying ovens to warm up after brakes then de-ice you windscreen before driving home after shift.

On average you would empty around 40litres of dust out of the extraction bins at the end of every shift.

Did that for 10 months and bailed.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #53
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Umm it's a toss up between working at Dick Smith for 3 years (hated 95% of the people there) or the stint I did at Ford (only good thing was getting the job I'm currently in oh and driving a whole heap of cars).
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 01:39 PM   #54
xbcool
dazed&confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
When I was a 10 yr old, I had a job selling pencils (punters used them to mark their formguides) outside the Hill entrance to Flemington racecourse. This was THE prime spot to sell + I was always well tipped!
Anyways, this particular Sat. this "blind" guy, with a similar pencil tray, comes along tap tap tapping his cane, and says to me "Sonny you have MY spot"
Feeling for him, I moved and went further down to a less busy gate, where I hardly sold a thing.
The "blind" guy sold his entire tray full in about 1/2 an hour.
He then proceeded to fold his telescopic cane, take off his dark glasses, pull out his formguide, and waltz in to the course to punt his takings!
I was shattered.. and That was THE end of my pencil selling career

thats a great yarn,and you were respectful to your elders, if you told a kid now days they were in your spot they would tell ya to get stuffed

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 03:23 PM   #55
Skotty
Banned

My current job, apprentice panel beater! I hate it, but going to stick it out.
Skotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 03:59 PM   #56
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Census collector. Well, it can be fun and you get to meet a lot of varied people but some give you the run-around and cause hassles and the pay is crap. Can get soem nice free codl drinks and nibbles but can be difficult trying to get away from the lonely people who just want to chat.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 04:34 PM   #57
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

berrimah drum service in Darwin, steam cleaned 44 gallon drums all day and stacked them outside 95%humidity in middle of wet season standing in tin shed steam cleaning is no fun.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #58
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

When I moved back to the country I worked casual at the local abattoirs , blood & guts didn't worry me because I was brought up on a farm , money was Ok . If I wasn't needed I thought I'd go Prune Picking on a local orchard at $2.50 a "Lug" (Lug = Plastic container 2 ft long , 18 inch wide , 1 ft deep) I thought , this is Ok should make some money here , reckon I could pick 8-10 a day . . WRONG ....

Here's how it works :-

Tractor with a "Shaker" backs up to a tree , large mats are pulled out , Shaker shakes the crap out of the tree , mats are pulled in and a conveyor belt rolls the Prunes into a wooden crate . Cool . (Oh Yeah)

My Job = Follow along behind with a 4-5ft length of "Poly-pipe" and knock down the Prunes the shaker didn't get . 1st day managed to get 1,1/2 Lugs between 6am & 5-30pm ($3.75) . 2nd day (thought , must be better way) managed 2 Lugs !!! ($5) . 3rd day ...... THERE WAS NO 3rd DAY

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #59
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

I was a grave digger, it wasnt so bad exept when you had to dig someone up. Peeeweeee.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:12 PM   #60
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by normxb
When I moved back to the country I worked casual at the local abattoirs , blood & guts didn't worry me because I was brought up on a farm , money was Ok
My gf's father did that, till he got hepitits.