Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-05-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Storing a statesman

Hi all,

My mate recently was given a 1972 Statesman, which used to be his grandpa's untill he recently passed away. It is going to be parked in the carport at their house, so how should he store it? If he puts a cover on it, will it hold moisture? That is the main question. He doesn't want to do something which will increase the rate its rusts, as the car is in top condition for its age.

All it really needs is a goody clean. But the major disappointment was when I opened the bonnet, and I only saw a six and not an eight :.

By the way, do any of you know roughly how much these cars are worth? He is still deciding on whether to keep it or sell it.

Thanks for your time.
Bill.

EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 03:36 PM   #2
xd5.8l
Banned

If it was a HQ statesman with high comp 350 chev motor it would be worth a mint. Otherwise probably around $ 6,000 if it's exceptional.
xd5.8l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 03:45 PM   #3
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd5.8l
If it was a HQ statesman with high comp 350 chev motor it would be worth a mint. Otherwise probably around $ 6,000 if it's exceptional.
They had advertised it for a bit for $12,000. They only got one guy who was interested, but was only willing to offer his a slab of beer. But when I saw it last night, the car is in mint condition. I'm glad for his sake that he just didn't pass it straight off for that, or else i would of hit him :.
Old 27-05-2006, 07:24 PM   #4
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

I've stored a few cars over the years. usually jacked them up on stands or blocks, so the tyres are off the ground, and left uncovered so as not to trap moisture as you said. they have been stored in a closed shed, or undercover carport. obviously they get dusty etc, but not rusty. I don't live on the ocean front so i've not had to worry too much about salt moisture in the air.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 07:25 PM   #5
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best way to store a holden?
Any tip will do.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 12:23 AM   #6
Daniel351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
Any tip will do.
:hihi:
Daniel351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
Any tip will do.
True, I would generally agree with that satement. Its what I initially said to my mate before I saw it. But once I had a good look at it, it became somewhat worthy of life.

His issue is if his folks are willing to boot one of their cars onto the street so he can park it in the carport. If they say no, I think it will most likely be sold.